Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes

I know i am waking up people on this but i recently felt the need to giving a thought to this. Wanted to open a new thread but glad there is one already.

I recently lost the key of my bull( new 350 UCE ) i approached a keymaker who made a key in just bare 8 min of time . Can you believe it . He hardly put his lockpick inside the keyhole for about 4-6 times and lo we had a brand new key which opened the handlelock,petroltank,ignition. I could hardly believe the new UCE models had such a poor lock system.

For me the most intriguing part was he said " if your bullet is an old model one i am sorry i cannot make a key for you" ...crap the new models !!

All one needs to steal a brand new bullet is just 10 mins of time in a secluded place and some "key" skills. In malls where we park bikes for hours just imagine wat can happen.

I think a more sophisticated lock should be used for the handle alone.Coz a bull tied at neck is a heck to drag

Please let me know your opinions.

Sunny.
Pheonix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 08:15   #62
BHPian

New Bombay cops plan writing to Royal Enfield about security flaw

Anti-theft devices, strategies for bikes-4bfbec4e633211eb96cbe7940d2449ca_1612035561063.jpg

Quote:
The New Bombay police are planning to write to the Royal Enfield Bullet bike manufacturers to alert them about the recent modus operandi of the theft of these two-wheelers.

The commissioner of police, Bipin Kumar Singh, said that with some minor alteration in the model, the thefts could be avoided and they would be conveying the same to the company.

“A bike that costs more than INR2 lakh is stolen in a matter of a few seconds by investing in an ignition switch that costs around INR500. The gang that we busted recently stole 62 Bullets across the state and Goa in a matter of four months just by using an ignition switch,” Singh said.

The wire that connects the engine to the starter of the bike has a joint in between which hangs outside from the left side. The accused used to remove the joint and plug the ignition switch.

“Ideally, the wire that has a joint should stay hidden or should be locked inside a separate box to avoid such thefts. We will bring this to their notice,” Singh said.

Besides, police also plan to look for institutes that research on automation and write about this flaw to them as well. Once the bike is started, the accused replaces the ignition switch of the bike from the original one to the one he used to steal and then sells it further with forged papers and fake number plate.

Royal Enfield was contacted via email but no response has been received yet.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...035562198.html
SandyX is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 01:22   #63
BHPian

Couldn't find another active and more recent thread on the topic. Is there a recommended make / type of protection device that is still effective against theft of motorbikes in current day and age ? Something that thieves will take quite some time/effort and thus deters them from stealing a parked bike ?
Old 19th October 2023, 21:47   #64
BHPian

I have found some friends of mine using both wheel locks (the ones that clamp onto the front wheel, across the forks) as well as what we colloquially call a 'chor switch' which is basically a hidden cutoff switch which is put in a hard to see place, and once the switch is off, nothing can start the bike. Their bikes are mostly sport bikes, a couple of KTMs, R15s, MT-15s and the like, and the switch is spliced into the wiring.
My approach is much more low tech, as both bikes I own are pre-1995, a 1990 Bullet and a 1994 RX 100. When parked at night, the handles are locked (the Bullet has a physical padlock), and as for when I am around the city, the RX is very hard to start by any amateur (it has a slightly fussy carb) and I have seen friends and acquaintances who wanted the bike kick it till they are red in the face without any luck.
The Bullet is a different story altogether, as it seems that the thieves of today simply don't know how the thing starts and it has a separate battery cutout switch also, so basically both the ignition and the cutout need to be on before the bike will work. The joys of owning older vehicles I suppose.
Vaastav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks