Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 13:40   #31
BHPian

Well on one hand I feel you should consider the hunk and dazzler as the hondas are known to age well and provide consistent performance. On the other hand you may also consider the 2009 Pulsar 180, with clip on handle bars and sports riding position. The 09 Pulsar 150 however is low on torque as compared to the previous editions and the same is clearly felt while riding.

The yamahas didnt impress me much. found FZ to be kind of lazy on power delivery and not so much fun.

Secondly, even a P220 manages 40-45 kmpl or probably more under "sane" riding conditions plus all the looks and gadgetary. Of course the bike provokes you to twist the throttle a wee lil bit but thats another story. Think about the straight line stability, great handling plus the dual discs. the 150kg + package would be safe ride even during rains! Why pay fresh 60+odd grands and get the same thing (another 150cc)

OR...if you are into mods why dont you mod your 150 to a 180 or a 200? I modded by pulsar to a 200 along with the 220s final drive ratio. the engine chugs along stress free at around 5k rpm doing 80 kmph and does 100 at 7k rpm and not to mention oodles of torque! The fuel efficiency returned was 50 kmpl under mixed riding conditions....you know, bigger engine + lighter bike.

Total cost Rs 3k. and it was DIY. The exhaust note has now developed a mild thump to it because of increased compression (10.5:1) which i find a real killer man!

Sorry to go OT but the thought of paying full price for a new bike and not getting something more than you already have just doesnt go with me !

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 18th June 2010 at 13:47.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks for your opinion.

Apache series is out bcoz its too small for us. We all are on heavy side and are 6 foot plus.

As for Bajaj and Hassle free ownership, i have good time for 7 yrs with Bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi. So i won't agree with your statement. It would have been used more but its for me and since i am no longer gonna use it, it will be sold.

But FZ is certainly under consideration. It is just not fuel efficient which doesn't cut ice with dad.

Let see. As of now, FZ, GS150R, P-150, Unicorn and Dazzler are in the list. Lets hope i am able to add or remove some from this.
+1 on that! I have abused my '06 Pulsar dtsi real bad during al these years beleive me! an year of Delhi Gurgaon travel - i have raced with anybody and everybody. travelled to chandigarh and back with low oil in sump. never drove below 80 on highways 20-25 mins constant rip above 100s + redlining off and on! (I tend to get carried away once i am on it!) Was teh dirtiest bike in my colony for months in a row!

And the best one - Filled used oil for few months when I was really broke! (am horrible with my finances) I even mixed half bottle EP-90 used for chain lube into the used oil once I really wanted to see how an engine seizes as I was anyways planning to upgrade to a 200CC engine. But sadly that never happened

Expenses incurred till now shocks oil chage at 40 k , valves went bust at 30K cost Rs. 400. Engine started to drink oil at 40K - upgraded to Pulsar 200 bore piston cost 3k. Clutch plates change at 30k, chain set had half life left when i upgraded that too!

The bl**** black thing NEVER let me down ever! (except when it ran out of fuel - my fault! . ) I can post the pics of my old bore whose pristine condition i myself was shocked to see! Only the oil rings had packed up!

Maybe there are more reliable bikes in the market, but frankly this one is more than enough for me! for me - PULSAR ROCKS!

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 18th June 2010 at 14:16.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
My roomie has a FZ and i have atleast 4 FZ's in my circle, all of which could manage a max of 40kmpl with very moderate city traffic.

And you are the first one to say that a Zma is less refined than an FZ. Great man.

The thread starter (Chevelle) probably doesn't have a bro like you for lending bullets, so, let's stick to answering queries from Chevelle.

Could depend on the run in and the riding. I know at least 3 other FZ owners, 2 who register around 42+ and one who never gets more than 35kmpl. It is subjective to the rider and id be wise and stop generalizing FE values of bikes.

You seem to have misquoted. The engine in the Zma is a gem and its pretty hard for any bike to match upto it. But the kit vibrates and in my bike, the foot pegs used to vibrate at high revs which i have noticed is considerably lesser in the FZ. That spoiled it for me.

You asked me the question and i answered to you.
If i had something to tell the topic starter, i would have addressed him directly.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Do not talk about Vibgyor. They are Chinese bikes, with crappy plastics & fit & finish (I actually went to their showroom on insistence by my younger brother). I won't test ride those, or recommend those to anyone despite being cheapest in class. Plus where is the Dealer/A.S.S. network.

I think chevelle should consider the established brands only.
Now I know why NOBODY talks about Vibgyor. :P
I wasnt recommending the bike. Just curious as to where the Sourav Ganguly endorsed bikes vanished.

I think GS150R is well designed for city traffic. But Dealer service support sometimes is more important than the vehicle itself.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on the test drives Chevelle ?
Old 18th June 2010, 22:33   #36
BHPian

Try HUNK...its a overall good bike and trust me it is a great head turner even today.

But with Hunk you cannot race much...its more of a commuter+cruiser than a proper city bike. Long drives are really comfortable with this bike. You can m,aintain an average of 100 kmph easily.
Old 18th June 2010, 23:27   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSinha View Post

But with Hunk you cannot race much...i
Is Chevelle going on tracks with his new motorcycle?
Old 19th June 2010, 01:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is everyone looking to buy a performance based motorcycle supposed to take them to the tracks?
Old 19th June 2010, 09:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Any updates on the test drives Chevelle ?
Stay tuned. Today is the second round of test drives. GS150R, Dazzler, P-150 done. Hunk, FZ, Possibly Discover 150 gonna be tested today.

Will be posting all impressions together.

Quote:
Try HUNK...its a overall good bike and trust me it is a great head turner even today.

But with Hunk you cannot race much...its more of a commuter+cruiser than a proper city bike. Long drives are really comfortable with this bike. You can m,aintain an average of 100 kmph easily.
Today its Hunk turn to impress us with what its got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
No, never. Where is stay there are no tracks. As per requirements, my bro and dad's gonna use and so it will be most of the time in city. Not even highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Is everyone looking to buy a performance based motorcycle supposed to take them to the tracks?
True.
Old 19th June 2010, 14:01   #40
BANNED

GS150R is good bike for both city and highway commuting. Apache & Yamaha FZ's are good ones if you want to feel the adrenaline rush, and then you have the Unicorn Dazzler which I believe should again be good.Choose the bike which is close to your heart.
Old 19th June 2010, 15:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

a small update

FZ (expensive), discover 150 (not available for TD) are Out.

A new contender has made a grand entry in our list.

Bro's new choice - Honda Stunner

May surprise many a people. But that's how it goes.

Stay tuned.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:22   #42
BHPian

Why, stunner. The only thing this stunner will stun you will be the price tag and to some extent looks. I always hated bikes with lot of show but not much go. But different people different things.

If you are going to step down from 150 cc performance criteria, look at the Yamaha Gladiator. The stunner will be stunned with Gladi's top end performance.
Also its substantially cheaper then the stunner
Old 19th June 2010, 19:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
Why, stunner. The only thing this stunner will stun you will be the price tag and to some extent looks. I always hated bikes with lot of show but not much go. But different people different things.

If you are going to step down from 150 cc performance criteria, look at the Yamaha Gladiator. The stunner will be stunned with Gladi's top end performance.
Also its substantially cheaper then the stunner
I have no say in his choice. Its just a window that has opened up when they went to test ride dazzler.

Also he owned Stunner for a brief period of time. IIRC around 6 to 10 months when splendor was stolen in Pune. So he was smitten by stunner at that time. Looks like it came back to haunt him
Old 20th June 2010, 01:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have no say in his choice. Its just a window that has opened up when they went to test ride dazzler.

Also he owned Stunner for a brief period of time. IIRC around 6 to 10 months when splendor was stolen in Pune. So he was smitten by stunner at that time. Looks like it came back to haunt him
Stunner is an excellent choice for a city ride. The 0-60 acceleration is quite good and is better than Gladiator.

The following modifications will make the Stunner more sweet.
  1. Replace the rear 43T sprocket with 42T sprocket.
  2. Replace the hubs around the handle bar with Unicorn's that comes with rubber bushes. This will drastically minimize the vibrations at higher rpms (stunner vibrates a lot after 70 kmph)

Chevelle, please do not buy stunner with TVS tyres. Buy only with MRF tyres. Stunner is factory-fitted with both MRF as well as TVS tyres. TVS tyres sucks big time when you push the bike to extremes.
Old 20th June 2010, 08:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Quote:

But with Hunk you cannot race much...
i have marked in into bold, in case you missed it,
Motorcycle racing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks