Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Options for 150cc bike?

Hello All,

Since we have delayed our car buying till Diwali, my bro is planning to buy a 150cc bike to replace his aging splendor. . What are the options available in the market?

Priorities are:

Fuel Efficient, Less maintenance, comfortable ride, powerful enough to pull two adults.

Bottom line: Hassle free ownership for 5-7 yrs.

Top of the mind options I have are:

Pulsar 150, Unicorn, Suzuki's 150 (Don't know model name), Discover 150. FZ. Any other i should consider?

Would appreciate your help.

Thank You.

P.S: We already own a 2003 p150 dtsi. It will be sold by dec 2010.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha's FZ ticks all the boxes except for the Fuel Efficiency. Depending on the type of rider, they can extract up to 40kmpl but have not heard more than this from a small group of friends who own one.

Next best option would be Suzuki GS150R as it meets almost all the criteria.

There are some test ride reports of the new unicorn here on t-bhp. you might want to check it out before you choose the GS or Unicorn.

Not sure if you want to go for another pulsar as you are planning to sell the one that you own by the year end.
Old 17th June 2010, 12:42   #3
BHPian

Is your brother looking at performance or mileage? If it's the latter, look no further than the Discover 150. However, if he is looking more at performance (is he a college student?, then you could go in for the FZ. The new P-150 is pretty good, but you say you already had a Pulsar, so it all depends on your needs. The GS 150 is again an option, but I feel the aforesaid bikes will have better service and reach.

Anyways, the rest is upto you. Good luck!
Old 17th June 2010, 12:47   #4
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki GS150 meets all your needs, but the bike in itself is not so popular. Since you already have the experience of riding a P150, the GS150 will be a new experience. Another option is the Unicorn.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Yamaha's FZ ticks all the boxes except for the Fuel Efficiency. Depending on the type of rider, they can extract up to 40kmpl but have not heard more than this from a small group of friends who own one.

Next best option would be Suzuki GS150R as it meets almost all the criteria.

There are some test ride reports of the new unicorn here on t-bhp. you might want to check it out before you choose the GS or Unicorn.

Not sure if you want to go for another pulsar as you are planning to sell the one that you own by the year end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Is your brother looking at performance or mileage? If it's the latter, look no further than the Discover 150. However, if he is looking more at performance (is he a college student?, then you could go in for the FZ. The new P-150 is pretty good, but you say you already had a Pulsar, so it all depends on your needs. The GS 150 is again an option, but I feel the aforesaid bikes will have better service and reach.

Anyways, the rest is upto you. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Suzuki GS150 meets all your needs, but the bike in itself is not so popular. Since you already have the experience of riding a P150, the GS150 will be a new experience. Another option is the Unicorn.
I am sorry i didn't mention some points before.

My brother is 30 yrs old. He does a job and he needs a balanced bike that doesn't burn hole in the pocket and is performance happy too. The bike will occasionally be used by father too. So it has to be easy to ride in city. All 3 of us are 6 foot plus and healthy too.

Regarding suzuki service, we already own Suzuki access 125 and we are happy with a.s.s of suzuki. Same goes with Bajaj, Hero Honda. Since we own bikes of these 3 companies. Also have activa in immediate family. So service won't be an issue.

My dad says Suzuki GS150, My bro says FZ and i am saying P-220. Obviously dad hates an idea of anything more than 150 as it will not be fuel efficient so P-220 is outta window. But my heart is set on GS150/P-150.

As of today evening, i have to give them a shortlist of 3 bikes which they will be testing tomorrow. So have to make it short and sweet backed by some solid reasoning as to why.

So need your opinion which will count. Seriously guys, whatever you write here I am just gonna convey it to my bro and dad.

Your help is Much appreciated.
Old 17th June 2010, 13:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Chevelle - Go for Unicorn or the new Dazzler. Its got the proven & reliable engine.

Anyway, except for the mileage part, FZ is a real good vehicle that can fit your requirements; or an additional 15K on Fazer you get a similar version of FZ that has 2 headlights.

GS150R is a good motorcycle, but ever since I saw my friend's clutch wire cut off at Vellore last weekend, I'm little apprehensive, but trust me, it faired very well.

What about Apache 160 or 160FI or 180 variants? Personally I love them, but me being a DIY freak, I'm not sure on the maintainence part. A friend of mine has RTR160 that's clocking about 80 Kms everyday & services about once in 3-4 months & he's a sane rider.

PS - Rule out Bajaj (Pulsar included) & "Hassle free ownership for 5-7 yrs"; you can have only one of them.
Old 17th June 2010, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Chevelle - Go for Unicorn or the new Dazzler. Its got the proven & reliable engine.

Anyway, except for the mileage part, FZ is a real good vehicle that can fit your requirements; or an additional 15K on Fazer you get a similar version of FZ that has 2 headlights.

GS150R is a good motorcycle, but ever since I saw my friend's clutch wire cut off at Vellore last weekend, I'm little apprehensive, but trust me, it faired very well.

What about Apache 160 or 160FI or 180 variants? Personally I love them, but me being a DIY freak, I'm not sure on the maintainence part. A friend of mine has RTR160 that's clocking about 80 Kms everyday & services about once in 3-4 months & he's a sane rider.

PS - Rule out Bajaj (Pulsar included) & "Hassle free ownership for 5-7 yrs"; you can have only one of them.
Thanks for your opinion.

Apache series is out bcoz its too small for us. We all are on heavy side and are 6 foot plus.

As for Bajaj and Hassle free ownership, i have good time for 7 yrs with Bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi. So i won't agree with your statement. It would have been used more but its for me and since i am no longer gonna use it, it will be sold.

But FZ is certainly under consideration. It is just not fuel efficient which doesn't cut ice with dad.

Let see. As of now, FZ, GS150R, P-150, Unicorn and Dazzler are in the list. Lets hope i am able to add or remove some from this.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
....As of now, FZ, GS150R, P-150, Unicorn and Dazzler are in the list. Lets hope i am able to add or remove some from this.
You have the competent 150's in your list. So go ahead with it.

If you want it to be strictly limited to 3 choices and FE is also a priority, then drop FZ from the list.

You will have:
GS150R - Very good driveability in city and on open stretches. Good ride posture, decent mileage, service is not a concern for you since you already own and know about suzuki a.s.s
Unicorn/Dazzler - Better looking than GS150R [looks are subjective], a little more features compared to Uni, butter smooth engine/GB, good mileage
P150 - You have already owned one and know about it. If you want to go with the known devil then this would be it. Refinement has improved compared to the old lot of pulsars.

I hope the above are good enough reasons to convey to your dad.

PS: I am also 6ft tall and weigh around 75kgs. I am very comfortable on the RTR160 and ride it everyday to work 12kms one way. Not uncomfortable at all. The mileage i am getting riding hard is around 42-43kmpl. Sane riding should give close to 47-48kmpl but not very sure of this.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for Bajaj and Hassle free ownership, i have good time for 7 yrs with Bajaj Pulsar 150 dtsi. So i won't agree with your statement
No problem @Chevelle, take the risk & trust me today's Pulsar's are better in technology than the older ones, but one maintainence skip will reveal the true colors.

Quote:
I am also 6ft tall and weigh around 75kgs. I am very comfortable on the RTR160 and ride it everyday to work 12kms one way. Not uncomfortable at all
+100

The GS150R is no doubt a good one; after seeing my friend's clutch wire cut on a 4 months new motorcycle that is also maintained well, I seriously have questions about its quality.

And if you're not magically bound to the number 150, give a TD on ZMA & its the most comfortable motorcycle.
Old 17th June 2010, 15:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And if you're not magically bound to the number 150, give a TD on ZMA & its the most comfortable motorcycle.
The ZMA will end up burning a big hole in terms of running cost which is a no no for his brother at the moment. Else i totally agree that its a very comfortable bike to ride.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 17th June 2010 at 15:53.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No problem @Chevelle, take the risk & trust me today's Pulsar's are better in technology than the older ones, but one maintainence skip will reveal the true colors.
Skip a meal, and even your true colours will be revealed. On a serious note, machines need maintainence, be it a Ferrari or a TATA, Ducati or TVS/Bajaj.

Quote:
LOL. Disagree.

Quote:

Pulsar 150, Unicorn, Suzuki's 150 (Don't know model name), Discover 150. FZ. Any other i should consider?
Pulsar 150 UG 4.5 - Better looks than UG3, all black treatment, and 15 PS of power. Class leading, barring the R15 of course.

Unicorn - Old warhorse, smooth engine, least powered 150 and that's about it.

Suzuki GS150R - Very good contender. A 6th cog, smooth engine and a good tourer. Rusting issues reported initially.

FZ - Nice macho looks, but you lose out on FE and power. comparatively. FE in league of the Zma. Also exorbitantly priced.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have the competent 150's in your list. So go ahead with it.

If you want it to be strictly limited to 3 choices and FE is also a priority, then drop FZ from the list.

You will have:
GS150R - Very good driveability in city and on open stretches. Good ride posture, decent mileage, service is not a concern for you since you already own and know about suzuki a.s.s
Unicorn/Dazzler - Better looking than GS150R [looks are subjective], a little more features compared to Uni, butter smooth engine/GB, good mileage
P150 - You have already owned one and know about it. If you want to go with the known devil then this would be it. Refinement has improved compared to the old lot of pulsars.

I hope the above are good enough reasons to convey to your dad.

PS: I am also 6ft tall and weigh around 75kgs. I am very comfortable on the RTR160 and ride it everyday to work 12kms one way. Not uncomfortable at all. The mileage i am getting riding hard is around 42-43kmpl. Sane riding should give close to 47-48kmpl but not very sure of this.
Thanks Abhinav. I will go ahead and let him and bro know of the choices.

As for apache, we all weight 85+ and starting from 6 foot to 6 foot 2 inches. Have rode my friends 160 and i was bloody uncomfortable for better part of our 94 km ride. That's why i thought, my dad won't be comfortable driving that. Also he was unhappy with TVS service. So not too sure. Then also will put a word in for RTR 160.

Shall keep you all updated.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add about Suzuki's minuscule service network in my previous post.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for apache, we all weight 85+ and starting from 6 foot to 6 foot 2 inches. Have rode my friends 160 and i was bloody uncomfortable for better part of our 94 km ride.
If you have already tried it and have felt not very comfortable on the ride then better not to go for it. Also i overlooked the post where you have said that your father would be using it too.

Since you are upgrading from a splendor, you dad will not take too kindly to the aggressive seating of the RTR. So better to stick to the list you had first shortlisted.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 17th June 2010 at 16:30.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The GS150R is no doubt a good one; after seeing my friend's clutch wire cut on a 4 months new motorcycle that is also maintained well, I seriously have questions about its quality.

None of my vehicles skip regular service. Its a total no-no in our family. Even if bike/car is not used, it is serviced at regular interval. May be that's why in 7 years of ownership my pulsar haven't got any major problems apart from tires wear, battery change and clutch wear and tear.

As for ZMA, we will take a big hit on FE as well as cost, so not a good idea. I am not bound to 150, my dad is.

Quote:
The ZMA will end up burning a big hole in terms of running cost which is a no no for his brother at the moment. Else i totally agree that its a very comfortable bike to ride.
+1 to you. Can't really go for zma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Skip a meal, and even your true colours will be revealed. On a serious note, machines need maintainence, be it a Ferrari or a TATA, Ducati or TVS/Bajaj.

+100. Agree totally.

Pulsar 150 UG 4.5 - Better looks than UG3, all black treatment, and 15 PS of power. Class leading, barring the R15 of course.

Unicorn - Old warhorse, smooth engine, least powered 150 and that's about it.

Suzuki GS150R - Very good contender. A 6th cog, smooth engine and a good tourer. Rusting issues reported initially.

FZ - Nice macho looks, but you lose out on FE and power. comparatively. FE in league of the Zma. Also exorbitantly priced.
Thanks for a short review. Will keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Forgot to add about Suzuki's minuscule service network in my previous post.
Yes, it has small network, but the bike will never go out of Baroda. So it is not a major deal breaker.

Quote:
If you have already tried it and have felt not very comfortable on the ride then better not to go for it. Also i overlooked the post where you have said that your father would be using it too.

Since you are upgrading from a splendor, you dad will not take too kindly to the aggressive seating of the RTR. So better to stick to the list you had first shortlisted.
Its true, then also will try and give it a shot. He has driven a lot of pulsar too. So let see how it goes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks