Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 12:58   #1
BHPian

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice

Hi All,

I have recently picked up a second hand RX-100. Cosmetically, she needs a lot of work, mechanically, she runs just fine.

A bit of niggling problems here and there. I have always been a JEEPer, I don't know much about this breed, I would need your advice in getting her back to stock shape.

I have not planned any work as of now. Will probably start the work post monsoons.

Here are some pics for your reference.

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00272.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00274.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00275.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00276.jpg

Why is there a leak ?? Is there any issue with the carb gasket ?

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00277.jpg

Would need a new Instrument Console anyways, the Speedo is gone for a toss

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00279.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00280.jpg

My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-dsc00281.jpg

Last edited by Sabareesh : 18th June 2010 at 13:00.
Old 18th June 2010, 13:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is your Autolube pump working fine? Which model is it, how much did it cost you?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2010, 13:16   #3
BHPian

wow! something made my heart jump! she was my first crush! a real bad one! the RX is just soo perfect!

I suggest give her a good wash and some wax polishing first. Its much easier to work on a clean bike. Make sure ports and head are clean. Are you facing any problems as such?
Old 18th June 2010, 13:30   #4
BHPian

strip her down. sand blast the chasis and repaint 3 coats , make a list of parts that need replacement. check the tank for rust. if badly rusted you need clean it , treat it with epoxy. other wise replace, cause the small rust powder can kill the engine in the long run. is it the carb or the autolube nipple leaking so badly ? or is it a faulty reed valve the culprit ? put your act together and start hunting for spares or it will be too late, you will not find any OE stuff
Old 18th June 2010, 14:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Is your Autolube pump working fine? Which model is it, how much did it cost you?

Spike
Spike, this is a 1994 model, the oil pump is not working. I add Oil with Petrol in the fuel tank. Any idea, what would be the cost to get the pump back in shape ? Btw, I picked her up in Jan 2010 for a sum of 13 K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Are you facing any problems as such?
Thanks for your suggestions. I am not facing any problems as of now. This bike is a daily drive for me. My to and fro commute from office to home totals up to 65 kms. The rims are badly rusted and need to be changed asap. I am waiting for monsoons to get over so that I can start working on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgev View Post
strip her down. sand blast the chasis and repaint 3 coats , make a list of parts that need replacement. check the tank for rust. if badly rusted you need clean it , treat it with epoxy. other wise replace, cause the small rust powder can kill the engine in the long run.
Have made a note of the points.

Quote:
is it the carb or the autolube nipple leaking so badly ? or is it a faulty reed valve the culprit ?
The Oil pump is not working, hence I have to add 2T oil along with petrol in the fuel tank. This leak is my biggest worry. I will take this to the nearest Yamaha authorized service center this weekend and get it checked.

Quote:
put your act together and start hunting for spares or it will be too late, you will not find any OE stuff
I contacted a Yamaha service center and they told me that Yamaha still manufactures spares for RX100. They told me that getting this bike to top shape would not be a problem as the O.E spares are available readily.

Is this true ?

Btw, I have downloaded the Workshop manual for RX-100, will go through it today evening.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 18th June 2010 at 14:26.
Old 18th June 2010, 14:57   #6
BHPian

The brown stain on the chain cover below the LHS side panel seems to indicate that the battery breather pipe wasn't routed correctly -- the acid seems to have leaked and corroded it. The carb needs a complete cleaning too. Otherwise the bike looks good-and-stock. Incidentally, I owned an RX100 for ten years between 1991 and 2001.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Most parts are stock.

GeorgeV has posted excellently.
Old 18th June 2010, 15:17   #8
BHPian

Hi Congrats for finding a good bike in terms of engine. Like the OP said you should get the frame and cycle parts sand blasted and painted with the correct paint. Wait for the monsoon to be over.

I recently(before 4-5months) did the restoration with paint & plating work on my RX100. I have my local mechanic friend who came home, stripped and got it assembled back at home itself. The advantage being, the authorized service center will try to push maximum spares that you will end up with a huge bill. There may be somethings which you can use from your present bike and some you will have to throw it off as buying a new one will be cheaper that gettting it chromed or so, for eg: like the gear shifter lever. But you have to make sure that you wont buy a new silencer as even if you plate it with a bit more paid, the new batch OE silencers wont match in quality for the ones in your bike now.

Like this if you have some one to help you, you can get the spares needed and get it assembled back at home. All the best and keep posting with the pictures. Would love to see the progress
Old 18th June 2010, 16:37   #9
BHPian

Congrats Sabareesh!!!

You'll enjoy each moment riding this beauty.

Though I have an RX100 & RX135, I prefer the RX100.

If there are issues in running the bike, sort out the mechanicals first. Cosmetics can be done later. Since the demand for 2 strokes has increased, prices of OEM parts have gone too high.

Keep us updated about the bike.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 19th June 2010, 23:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your buy. Sell the bike off and get a nice brand new bike.

Considering you're a JEEP person, it looks to me that you will retain the bike. The bike has quite a lot of work on it. Everything you see will eventually be replaced. Rather than trying to restore the part, you'll end up spending the same amount that a new part costs. Expect spares and paint to cost around 20-25k plus depending on the quality of the parts.

Most of the spare will NOT be original, and MOST of the originals are NOT worth the prices.

I'd rather you sell the bike and get a nice bike like the Pulsar, Unicorn, Karizma, etc. You'll have a better experience on the newer bikes since it'll give you lesser hassles.

Yes, these bikes will be expensive compared to the RX100. The other option is that in 30-35k you can get a very good second hand relatively new bike. And their resales too will be MUCH better than the RX. On an RX100 you'll spend a total of 30k to get it done (right to the last nut and bolt, HECK thats what I did). Butttt when you plan to sell the bike no one is going to pay you even half that price.

Last edited by Gordon : 20th June 2010 at 00:00.
Old 6th August 2011, 14:53   #11
BHPian

Re: My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice

So what happened to this rebuild??
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:41   #12
BHPian

Sorry everyone for such a long break from this thread.

The bike is still with me and I have not done anything major in it other than sorting out niggling problems. Some issues that I faced in these 2 years :-

1. The Saree guard has rusted badly and breaking in bits and pieces.

2. Headlights conk off every now and then. Replaced the headlight relay and no problems faced so far after replacement.

3. Had to replace both rims as the old ones were badly rusted and literally chipping off. Managed to get non OEM stuff for cheap from Ulhasnagar as a temporary solution. Planning to switch to OEM rims when I do the rebuild.

3. Engine seized somewhere in late 2011. Got hold of an original set of Block / piston kit and replaced.

4. Clutch cable slips from its housing often. Still to find a solution for this.

5. Kick starter slipped quite often. Changed the tooth wheel and problem solved.

I am going to do a complete rebuild post monsoons. Have kept budget ready will update everyone as and when work progresses.
Old 25th August 2012, 02:27   #13
BHPian

I'm subscribing this thread to watch out the rebuild.

Very recently restored '93 model RX100 and thought would share how I approached.

1. What is expected out of the rebuild. i.e Complete stock or slight towards performance.
2. Budget
3. Determine what needs to be replaced.
4. List out the spare parts that needs to go in and procure them. Buy only genuine spares for quality and long lasting.
5. I would suggest you to get the frame complete checked for any bent and correction to be made if any.
6. Talk with your mechanic and schedule a time with him. (Better to get it done in your presence and in ONE shot!)
7. Execution.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha RX-100 Restoration thread - Need advice-rx1001.jpg  

Old 27th August 2012, 19:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
I'm subscribing this thread to watch out the rebuild.

Very recently restored '93 model RX100 and thought would share how I approached.

1. What is expected out of the rebuild. i.e Complete stock or slight towards performance.
2. Budget
3. Determine what needs to be replaced.
4. List out the spare parts that needs to go in and procure them. Buy only genuine spares for quality and long lasting.
5. I would suggest you to get the frame complete checked for any bent and correction to be made if any.
6. Talk with your mechanic and schedule a time with him. (Better to get it done in your presence and in ONE shot!)
7. Execution.
Hi SriramEfunds,

Can you give me more details on your recent restoration. Planning to get a Rx100 and having it rebuilt to complete stock. And also throw some light on the dealership in chennai where I could find genuine spares.
Apologies, incase you already have a thread on this. If so kindly share the link.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 27th August 2012, 19:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Hi SriramEfunds,

Can you give me more details on your recent restoration. Planning to get a Rx100 and having it rebuilt to complete stock. And also throw some light on the dealership in chennai where I could find genuine spares.
Apologies, incase you already have a thread on this. If so kindly share the link.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris - There is no one stop shop to get all the spares. I've even traveled to other states to procure them. List out what are the spares you would like to buy and shall take it forward.

My dream - RX100 - Restoration - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks