Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 23:35   #31
BHPian

re: Which Indian bikes will become future classics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
To add a few
The original Kinetic Honda
Hero Honda CD100
Yamaha RX100
Bullet 350 CI
Bullet 500
Bullet Machismo (the collector would love to polish the chrome )
Bullet UCE
The Diesel Bullet
The Kinetic Hyosung Aquila
The Bajaj M80
Bajaj Chetak
Suzuki shogun
Among the plenty of Bullet variants since 1955 from Enfield India, I prefer G series Standard 350, which came along 1959 , for n0ne other than the, type of ignition ..." SR magneto ignition", which was unique and it also had dual front brakes for deluxe versions
Here is my Enfield India's Bullet 350 -1959 ( not to forget , SR magneto ignition was optional for deluxe models ,even after upgrading to " contact breaker ignition" ( Small Delco as commonly known as.) up to 1960 to 1962, but as it was expensive than the regular production bikes at that period (1960 to 1962)
My RE Bullet 1959>>

Note the SR magneto >>

With all the goodies from great Britain >>

Cheers!!
KMK
powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:57   #32
BHPian

Extremely Rare

This one is extremely rare to find...a Classic in the making:-

Motorcycle - Kinetic Hyosung GF 170 Laser Sport Edition

Check out the one I own on my Gallery - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...?do=view&g=896
Old 16th October 2012, 13:51   #33
BHPian

The Royal Enfield's Mofa certainly deserves a mention here. It's a classic with a high relevance in today's Bangalore. I wonder if it'll be able to climb the fly overs.

Edit : Sorry. Not available in show rooms at the moment. Missed that part.

Last edited by vinu_h : 16th October 2012 at 13:53.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
The Royal Enfield's Mofa certainly derves a mention here. It's a classic with a high relevance in today's Bangalore. I wonder if it'll be able to climb the fly overs.

Edit : Sorry. Not available in show rooms at the moment. Missed that part.
Enfield MOFA is already found a place in the Elite gang....
was launched with a caption >>" It is Cheaper than WALKING" , a 22 cc two stroke engine of Mineralli at German machine
Dunno whether it can climb your Bangalore fly overs.....
But here you go with my 99.9% stock MOFA >>

Cheers!!
KMK
Old 18th October 2012, 23:41   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht'snotME View Post
what you guys say about "Rajdoot". i remeber people telling that it runs on almost any fuel(which is not good considering the pollution it makes). I strongly believe this will make it to the classic list.
Even I believed so
Was a reliable , without thrills & frills bike, to my knowledge this must be the one & only Bike to come out in various guises, with same power train (173cc, 3 speed) at least till mid '70s
1) Rajdoot -WFM - 1961 to 1965
2) Rajdoot
3) Rajdoot ranger
4) Rajdoot Runabout ( a scooter)
5) Rajdoot GTS 'aka' Bobby bike
6) Rajdoot deluxe
7) Rajdoot Super 175
& so on till mid 2000...
Though I have 3 variants from Rajdoot ( the bold letter ones)
Runabout is yet to be restored though !!
Here are the pics of my RDs
>>---> the standard Rajdoot featuring with my Bobby bike is of my neighbor)

Old 20th October 2012, 14:43   #36
BHPian

Surprising nobody mentions the KB100 here. One heck of a 100cc 2 stroker with a very distinct exhaust note and excellent throttle response. It's music to the ears even today when a KB100 passes by . So here goes my list:

1) KB100
2) Suzuki Supra
3) Bullets
4) RX100 and RX135
5) RD350
6) 1st Gen CBZ
7) 1st Gen Pulsar.

Cheers.

Last edited by ironshark : 20th October 2012 at 14:52. Reason: Added a missed point.
Old 20th October 2012, 16:50   #37
MHG
BHPian

I believe this thread is deviating from its original objective - identifying bikes you can buy TODAY that will become classics in FUTURE. Bikes not currently sold (which includes 90% of bikes mentioned in this thread) don't qualify

My picks:

1. TVS XL Super - This shall definitely see the axe one day, but its a classic from the bygone era that is still around. Called the true "farmers' vehicle", it was and still is perfect for stowing around load twice its volume. It is the quintessential delivery boy's delight. We get gas cylinders, 20-litre water bottles, 20kg rice sacks and Rs. 2000 worth of groceries delivered on this humble moped that sadly stays away from the limelight. I guess its the only 2-stroke 2-wheeler still in production (would be good if someone explains why its allowed to exist).

2. Bajaj Pulsar 220F - The fastest Indian. Going to be phased out soon but this bike was something of the dawn of a new era (semi fairing, affordable 20+ horses, dual discs, projector headlights, etc) in Indian biking as well as the end of an era (all later Bajaj platforms are 4-valve tech; the top end pulsars are with KTM genes).

3. KTM Duke 200 - When 4-stroke biking finally caught up with 2-stroke biking in India. This bike has classic written all over it.

4. Yamaha FZ16 - The bike that stormed into the market with looks that sent many hot blooded college going upper middle class males rushing to showrooms with their dads to book one. Perhaps its overrated. Perhaps its contemporaries delivered higher on both performance and mileage. But that doesn't stop it from being a classic simply because of the reception it had and the value it still holds as the one and the only "desi muscle bike".

5. Hero Impulse - This is the first made-in-India bike that is off road capable. And I don't see anyone else toeing that segment; the only other option for off-roaders is to go for crazy modded 2-stroke dirt bikes.

6. Yamaha Crux - The only bike that still has the charming chromed looks of classic 2-strokes. That is reason enough to buy one of these. It lacks the mileage of a CD Dawn, the alloys of a platina and is priced higher. But if looks could sell, this would be my pick. I'd run to a Yamaha showroom right away to book one if the same looks came with self start (and hopefully better tyres, front disc brakes and a bigger engine).

Bikes that would have made it to the list but being discontinued recently cannot fulfil the "buyable today" clause:

1. Yamaha R15 v1.0 - The first true Indian built "sports bike". Now others are here to challenge it and its seen a version change, but the original is still going to be the REAL classic.

2. TVS Apache RTR 160 FI - Highest revving Indian bike that was an enthusiast's delight. Delivered excellent fuel economy too at the same time. The fact that FI is an expensive technology made this and the Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi bikes which were replaced with carb bikes.

3. Hero Honda Splendor - I am referring to the last batch labelled Hero Honda and not just Hero. This represents the end of an era in Indian commuting. I am sure many would agree. After this the same bike still lives on, but the original identity with its evergreen name is sadly no more.
Old 30th December 2013, 13:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Future Classics - Indian two wheelers

Thinking through the same categories but in the Indian two wheeler space, there seems to be quite a few two wheelers that were available in our market that can be classified as Future Classics.

This thread credited to the other four wheeler thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-classics.html

Some of the bike that come to the top of the mind and high on the list are-

1. Yamaha RX 100 - Of course on top of the list and what a cult bike and what a heathrob of a exhaust beat.

2. Suzuki Fiero - One of the best looking and built four stroke bikes.

There are others as well like-

Suzuki Shogun
Bajaj Chetak
Hero Honda CD 100

Welcome to hear more.
Old 30th December 2013, 15:23   #39
BHPian

Hi the following bikes is where I would put my money on (in fact done already)

1. RD 350
2. RX 100
3. Suzuki shogun ( TVS supra only if it sold bit more in numbers)
4. HH sleek
5 RE Standard
6 Jawa/yezdi
7 lambretta and their various avatars
8 HH Karishma
9 Bobby Rajdoot

All these sold in decent numbers and couple of them had international success too.

Thanks
Piyush
Old 30th December 2013, 15:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Future Classics - Indian two wheelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
1. Yamaha RX 100 -
2. Suzuki Fiero -

Suzuki Shogun
Bajaj Chetak
Hero Honda CD 100

Welcome to hear more.
1 How can you forget the RD?

2 I guess CBZ is the bike that satisfied the common man's need to own a superbike, atleast by the look

3 Pulsar, though made plenty, Still pulsar classics are true classics.

4 RE Bikes.

5. KB 100

I cannot do justice to the whole list, let others contribute.

Pramod
Old 30th December 2013, 18:21   #41
BHPian

Nice thread :

Here are my additions :

1. RD 350
2. RX 100
3. Suzuki shogun ( TVS supra only if it sold bit more in numbers)
4. HH sleek
5 RE Standard
6 Jawa/yezdi
7 lambretta and their various avatars
8 HH Karishma
9 Bobby Rajdoot
10 Kinetic Honda (the 2 stroke variant - rocked the gear less segment until de-throned by Activa)
11 TVS champ (was aligned between the Luna and Kinetic Honda attracting the budget segment)
12 Kawasaki 100 (good competitor to the Rx 100 - Loved the cheetah ads)
Old 30th December 2013, 18:43   #42
BHPian

I must say, I am surprised by few of the names mentioned by Bhpians here. I feel to be a true classic the vehicle should have a cult following or should have been one of the early pioneers in a segment. It would help if the vehicle was not sold in large numbers!

My list, in order -
1. Lambretta
2. Jawa 350/ other Jawa's and Yezdi's
3. Rajdoot - Bobby
4. Priya/ Bajaj scooters
5. RD350/ Shogun/ Shaolin

I would not term CBZ, ZMA, Fiero as classics of the future. RX100 though I love the bike can be found in every nook and corner of the city especially the RXG, 135 models made to look like RX100. And I am sure nobody will ever junk a RX100, it will live on.

Last edited by mac187 : 30th December 2013 at 18:46.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:21   #43
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-classics.html

cheers...
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 15:36   #44
BHPian

Very valuable topic. Who can forget the first 100c bike - Ind Suzuki AX 100.
It had a very sweet tone and extremely frugal.
Old 31st December 2013, 16:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Some of the bike that come to the top of the mind and high on the list are-

2. Suzuki Fiero - One of the best looking and built four stroke bikes.

Suzuki Shogun
Bajaj Chetak
Hero Honda CD 100
I own a Fiero (First Gen) and I seriously doubt if it's a looker I mean, the looks was one of the reasons for it doing badly. The Scooty (I owned that too) like integrated front Headlight+blinkers was horrendous. However I love it's exhaust note and nimble character.

The Suzuki Shogun was a fantastic bike. It looked fab. I think it was one of the first bikes to have an all black engine. Not sure if it had 5 gears like the Shaolin.

The exhaust notes of all the Suzuki's were good. AX100, Samurai, Shogun and and Shaolin. Those were the days when exhaust notes were music to ears without any aftermarket mods. The first time I heard the TVS Apache (First Gen) I was like It was close to a Honda Scooter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks