Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 15:21   #46
BHPian

Re: Which Indian bikes will become future classics?

Adding to list : LML Vespa Supremo.
Very limited nos. sold though during 1996 to 2000 ( Used in other countries by name Vespa Cosa)

Excellent Features like :
Superb tarq,
Neutral Indicator
Glove box light
Electronic Fuel Indicator, Clock
Speed control
Heavy Body guage
Brake Light indicator
Self Start
Most importantly "No Plastics"
will post the picture soon.
- Ananth
Old 9th October 2014, 12:46   #47
BHPian

Honda unicorn. reliable, good public image, spare parts easily available. A lot of them on the road now, so hunting for parts wont be too difficult even 20 years from now. Ok i admit, i own one
Old 9th October 2014, 13:27   #48
BHPian

I find it really strange to see so many posts with the mention of the "Suzuki Fiero" and not the HH CBZ!!

The bike that started it all!! I remember very clearly, in 1999 when the bike was launched, it was the most powerful 4 stroke bike in India!

People would gather around to see the bike! It was a looker and a hoot to ride thanks to its box type swing arm and a large wheel base! It had handlebar weights!! How many people knew at that time what handlebar weights were?

The thing would rev to 11000rpm's on the stock cdi! No factory stock Fiero could ever hold a candle to a factory stock CBZ! Thanks to the 5th gear!

Check out the following ad's! Still bring a smile to my face!

I think if the question is of naming bikes that could be called classics, there has to be the mention of the CBZ!

For me the list would look like this! (not mentioning the Lambretta's and the LML's and the Chetak's as those were scooters)

1. Yamaha RD 350
2. Yezdi
3.HH CD 100
4.Suzuki Supra
5.Yamaha RX 100
6. Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ
7. HH CBZ
8. Bajaj Pulsar 180
9. HH Karizma

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 9th October 2014 at 13:37.
ssjr0498 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 14:15   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Adding to list : LML Vespa Supremo.
Very limited nos. sold though during 1996 to 2000 ( Used in other countries by name Vespa Cosa)

Excellent Features like :
Superb tarq,
Neutral Indicator
Glove box light
Electronic Fuel Indicator, Clock
Speed control
Heavy Body guage
Brake Light indicator
Self Start
Most importantly "No Plastics"
will post the picture soon.
- Ananth
I think amongst the scooters, the Lambretta 150, Avanti Super, Bajaj Super, Bajaj Chetak, Kinetick Honda, LML NV, LML NV Special, LML Supremo ,Bajaj Chetak Classic and the bravo (with carbon fiber reed valve) are the one's that really made an impression!
The LML's were a league apart than the rest, until the Bajaj Chetak Classic and the Bravo were launched!
Old 19th October 2014, 19:23   #50
BHPian

If looking at bikes sold NOW that I think will go on to be classics, here's my two cents worth:

- The KTMs (200 and 390, RC and Duke versions). They represent the latest big jump forward at making performance available to Indian bikers with value for money.

- Scooty. I'm not sure enough people acknowledge the stone cold genius of this bike. If you want a low cost easy riding two wheeler to nip around in the city, this is it. So easy to ride that even the most basic skills will do, this the true everyman's bike. Everywoman's too. No wonder they have survived for so long and still sell.

- RE Thunderbird (not a certainty, but potential exists). As the first real deviation from the classic Bullet variants, if RE are going to keep trying non traditional ideas, this is the platform that will herald them. Fingers crossed.
Old 19th October 2014, 22:25   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post

- The KTMs (200 and 390, RC and Duke versions). They represent the latest big jump forward at making performance available to Indian bikers with value for money.
No offence to anyone, even I am thinking of getting RC390, but a bike can become classic only if it survives long after production has been stopped, taking a look at the issues related to the bike makes me feel most of them will be off the road once the production stops.
Old 20th October 2014, 10:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
No offence to anyone, even I am thinking of getting RC390, but a bike can become classic only if it survives long after production has been stopped, taking a look at the issues related to the bike makes me feel most of them will be off the road once the production stops.
Fair point, and I did consider the reports of the alloys cracking on the Duke 390. My assumption is that the issue can be sorted out. But even if it isn't, I'd still nominate them as future classics. They're so far ahead of anything else in their price range performance-wise that even if very few models survive the test of time, they will be coveted.

Just my opinion, of course. I could be dead wrong.
Old 20th October 2014, 11:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

A classic is about heartstrings and character and cultural impact and longevity. Its not neccessarily about the technical proficiency.

In the Indian context, nothing comes close to the Bullet as THE quintessential Indian classic.

The others that makes the list in my very humble opinion and having seen all of them and ridden most of them over the past 2 decades -

The Yezdi 250 (more than the Jawa)
The Rajdoot
The Lambretta
The Allwyn Pushpak
The Chetak
The Luna
The TVS50
The M80
The RD 350
The RX100 (none of the other variants)
The Shogun
The Splendor
The CBZ/Karizma
The Pulsar
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 11:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

One True classic for the Future. Suzuki Fiero and the later iteration - "The National MX Champion"-TVS Fiero F2 can be classics some day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks