Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 03:21   #1
BHPian

1996 Shogun Rebuild

1 year, that is the exact amount of time it took to restore my prized possession, a 1996 Suzuki Shogun, got her as a gift from a friend & had to complete the restore as a tribute to my all time favorite motorcycle in India.

A few pics of my baby after the restore work, a few things are still needed for her to be complete ( the front mud guard & the right hand side mirror).

She's done 1k trouble free kilometers now & day by day I am falling for her head over heels..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Also, Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Shogun Rebuild-1.jpg  

1996 Shogun Rebuild-2.jpg  

1996 Shogun Rebuild-3.jpg  

1996 Shogun Rebuild-4.jpg  

Last edited by Amartya : 6th October 2010 at 03:53.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 07:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
1 year, that is the exact amount of time it took to restore my prized possession, a 1996 Suzuki Shogun, got her as a gift from a friend & had to complete the restore as a tribute to my all time favorite motorcycle in India.
Good;
Have you done this or got it done through a mechanic?
Can you describe a few words on your restoration task like what parts have been changed, any paintings, cylinder & head changes, electricals that were carried out.

Also, are there any performance mods done?

After the 1K run, I see some paint peeling off from the engine side; and the exhaust looks tad old; the rear drum looks old compared to the front. Why's that?

PS - there seems to be some issue with the front fenner as the gap between the tire & the fenner is uneven isn't it?

Last edited by aargee : 6th October 2010 at 07:53.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

The bike is impressive looking, I still miss mine. The front fender is a bit misaligned and and had to be black to complete the bike Original looks.
Good job buddy.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

This brings back fond memories. I had a shogun which I used for 5 fun filled years, traded for a classic 180 Pulsar. Boy I regret that ...

The restoration does not look complete, the paints peeling, the fender's not matching even the exhausts lost all its color.
Perhaps you've just got the engine rebuild but not the bodywork.

One piece of advice though, don't rely on the oil pump too much. Suggest you add some 2T oil in the tank while fueling up. Also get her some decent quality rubber.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 6th October 2010 at 13:38.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:33   #5
BHPian

I own one in my garage, how can I restore it........does anybody here know a good mech....!
Old 6th October 2010, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

aditya its a rarity to find such beauties these days. However a few things needs attention with the bike.
  • Try and get the RXZ fenders for the front. They suited the shogun really well.
  • I think you could do with better rear shock absorbers. The stock one's somehow don't match the bikes character. Scout thru the market and pick up something without the upper lid/cap.
That said if you wanna go strip down the bike completely and redo it consider the round type head lamps. Was never a fan of the square shaped ones and the visor on the shogun.

Me had a grey one and had removed the stickers and kept her simple. Used to love her for the 14 bhp(?) she used to chrun out, used to be a stonker of a ride during those days. Popping a wheelie was the easiest thing to do with that bike.
Old 6th October 2010, 15:39   #7
BHPian

Congrats Aditya ,

One of my fav Indian Bike, have lusted after for years , never managed to buy one for lack of Vitamin M. Now I wish to buy the bike but have been put off due to the scarcity of parts. Would Love to own one one day. Enjoy the ride and ride safe!!
Old 6th October 2010, 16:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

ahh, you bought some good old memories back my friend i kiss my bike..

Please get the front mud guard painted to black...
Old 6th October 2010, 16:41   #9
BHPian

The bike seems to be in great shape. you should get a black front mudguard though.
That is a lovely pic of the meters. one of the very best we have seen on indian bikes till date. no fading/discoloration on the one on this bike.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:44   #10
BHPian

Thank you all for the kind words of appreciation
Quote:
aargee After the 1K run, I see some paint peeling off from the engine side; and the exhaust looks tad old; the rear drum looks old compared to the front. Why's that?

PS - there seems to be some issue with the front fenner as the gap between the tire & the fenner is uneven isn't it?
There are a few things (on the cosmetic front) that arent complete
1. Front fender is a samurai unit, need to have it powder coated
2.The right hand side rvm is a duplicate one
3.The sticker kit isn't original

The time the pics were taken, the bike was running a 120/80 rear tyre, changed it back to stock Ceat Secura Sport 3.00*18

Below is a partial list of the things done up on her so far.

1.Changed the piston & barrel to SGP (picked one from hosur for 5500, that to the fins got bent and paint came off while shipment)
2.New wiring kit, switch gear, meter assy, oil pump, plastic parts ( rear panels), indicators.
3.Rebuild the carb
4.The pipe is cleaned & setup again as well, as its a '96 model, it comes without the cat con (which just adds to the noise & fun)

@rjstyles69
I have a spare sticker set, plan to use it later, dont think i will be investing on the cosmetic parts for the time being.

Planned upgrades
1.Apache RTR forks & Disc Brake unit at the front
2.Victor's box section swing arm & Hero Honda hunk Shocks for the rear
3.Ron's RDD CDI for the gun, now trying to shoehorn a Rx pulser to a spare magento face plate..

with the 1000ks done the engine revs up cleanly to an indicated 11k rpm on the tacho now without any fuss.
however the idle air flow mixture screw keeps acting up, so i have to keep adjusting that.

Any inputs will be more than welcome..

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
The bike seems to be in great shape. you should get a black front mudguard though.
That is a lovely pic of the meters. one of the very best we have seen on indian bikes till date. no fading/discoloration on the one on this bike.
Sid the meter console is a brand new one & it costed 2.5K

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

You can use the "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th October 2010 at 17:24. Reason: posts merged
Old 6th October 2010, 17:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1.Apache RTR forks & Disc Brake unit at the front
2.Victor's box section swing arm & Hero Honda hunk Shocks for the rear
Try and find the KB100 or KB125's fork set , these used to be really famous during those days. I don't think the Apache's forks have that much of play.

The box type swing arm makes sense and back then those days we had to order one from a 3rd party manufacturer(cant recall the brand). I don't think the Victor's swing arm is a direct fit coz we had issues with the chain scrapping it always. You might want to swap the swing arm once , test it and then invest on that.

That said , you just have a real clean bike at your disposal. Keep her in shape.
Old 13th October 2010, 02:56   #12
BHPian

Shogun 1200 KM update

Gun is running absolutely brilliantly so far.
Did a small tune up of the carb, feels like the top end got better & the engine doesnt have the erratic idle stall problems any more.

Took her out for a small off roading on the gun, & it feels i need a lot more skills & guts to have the gun in her power band off the road.

Last night, did a timed run on GPS & i was pleasantly surprised by the results.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 Shogun Rebuild-dsc_0829m.jpg  

1996 Shogun Rebuild-img_6145m.jpg  

Old 13th October 2010, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Boss! Ultimate bike from the good old 2-stroke days. Its a good offroader, one of my college senior who was into moto cross had a modded Shogun for practice.

Well, I have a Shaolin sleeping in my garage waiting for restoration! Lack of spare parts have kept away from starting any work on my bike.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2010, 13:54   #14
BHPian

Whoa!The bike does look neat.One of my all time fav 2 stroke bike.
Few suggestions, powder coat the samurai front fenders, change the shox please , yeah the stickering (the tail panel and the headlight assembly) does not blend well with the tank/side panel stickers, try changing it.
Did you get a brand new block for your bike?May be you could plonk in a RXZ carb & port the intakes.I recently got my 1995 model shogun engine rebuild (3rd oversize sgp piston & rings).Its almost due 1000km run-in.Planning to give it for a complete paint job in sometime.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
Whoa!The bike does look neat.One of my all time fav 2 stroke bike.
Few suggestions, powder coat the samurai front fenders, change the shox please , yeah the stickering (the tail panel and the headlight assembly) does not blend well with the tank/side panel stickers, try changing it.
Did you get a brand new block for your bike?May be you could plonk in a RXZ carb & port the intakes.I recently got my 1995 model shogun engine rebuild (3rd oversize sgp piston & rings).Its almost due 1000km run-in.Planning to give it for a complete paint job in sometime.
Powder coat is the only option, dont know anyone in Hyderabad who does a good job at it.
I have a spare sticker set,would use it later.
Yes it has a brand new Bore kit.(SGP piston & rings)
Now for the RX carb, I am all ears..however i have a plan to plonk in a Pwk 28 carb.
Do post some pics of your bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks