Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 16:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?

Thanks to all who have shared your thoughts on this thread. After much of thinking, i settle down for a 15 months old used RB TBTS red. The bike had done only 4K kms by a nice gentleman and he had maintained it very well.

I tried all possible links to expedite a delivery period for a new UCE but in vain. Eventually it turned out to be atleast 6-8 months which i was not willing to wait for. So, i started searching through the web for a good, low run used RE and there were a few coming through. On my best judgement, this one suited me (eventhough i had to compromise on the non-conventional styling and more of chrome which i had a -ve towards). As said, my family liked a TB very much and i gave in. This was a 1. low run, 2. maintained well, 3. very genuine sale 4. the newest technology anyway (UCE TBTS) as in the production line and overall good and the price was 83K as compared to the new one 1.17K in Chennai including few acc. So, a 30K less and i was convinced.

The bike had a Sans Inc Goldie and a Roots Windtone horn with relay etc., which was a bonus.

After buying, i did few DIY work like buffing the aluminium casings using a buffing pad and my home drill - it came out very well but for few places where the pad could not reach. This was an easier exercise compared to the pain of removing everything and doing this job. I also hunted down for a authentic Army used bag and one of my freinds got a scrapped bag from the Army Cant which i fixed it using some fabricated metal to hold it.

On the ride - it is great to ride and i would be more happier if i could arrive at a different handlebar which is slightly better for city traffic. I will try and do some more aesthetic changes like the handlebar and also the pillion rest which i am not sure i like it. I have not ripped it beyond 80kms so far, but it is a great feel of the air at that speed and i enjoyed it along with my wife who accompanied in one of my rides.

Overall, i am happy and hope i have made the right decision.

Some pictures for you
Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?-re-tbts1.jpg
Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?-dsc_0249-1000x671.jpg
Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?-dsc_0252-1000x671.jpg
Which current RE UCE Bullet to buy? Or should I go for a used CI Bullet?-dsc_0274-1000x671.jpg

Thanks to one and all for your guidance. Happy thumping.

swami
Old 13th February 2011, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Congrats Swami, a great buy indeed! and the bike does look mean I did get my electra serviced not on the same weekend (thanks to the section 144 here in bangalore) I got it done the next weekend. The bike has been behaving well since then.

Tell me something, How is the sans goldie? I mean how does it sound. I heard on one of the CL 350 but it wasnt sans and it sounded like the old jawa!

Happy Trip-ing!

SN
Old 13th February 2011, 19:42   #18
BHPian

hi sunil, thanks, and i think to my ears, the Sans Goldie sounds good. I will try to explain from what i think. The goldie sounds somewhere in between a dub dub dub to dum dum dum sound and reasonably loud (but not irritating). Also, i keep listening to the sound of a short bottle from other bikes which has more of a dum dum sound. Sorry if i am not able to explain it better. I think both are good sounding, much better than the OE.

When you rev it gear to gear on a good road, it is just so good and you really feel that you are riding something special. The image of an RE. I am sure the Sans Goldie will not disappoint you. It hasn't to me.

Swami
Old 13th February 2011, 20:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Thanks to all who have shared your thoughts on this thread. After much of thinking, i settle down for a 15 months old used RB TBTS red. The bike had done only 4K kms by a nice gentleman and he had maintained it very well.

The bike had a Sans Inc Goldie and a Roots Windtone horn with relay etc., which was a bonus.

On the ride - it is great to ride and i would be more happier if i could arrive at a different handlebar which is slightly better for city traffic.

swami
A great buy for a great price. Congratulations! The TB handle bar is better for long rides (no shoulder aches!), and its seat is way more comfortable than the STD/CL.

Caution, if you haven't ridden RE's recently, practice emergency braking. The front disc brake is quite grabby, and takes some getting used to. Always wear a helmet (pillion too!).

Ride safe.
Old 15th February 2011, 18:43   #20
BHPian

Swami,
Bike's looking really well maintained. Did you do a wax polish after you bought or the previous owner maintained it this way ? Anyways, great buy.

One suggestion about the handle bar change you were talking about. Pls don't.
A friend I knew had this problem and tried to fit in a couple of handlebars, including a standard RD350 handle -- it just wouldnt fit and he had hell of a trouble with electricals. May be its poor workman ship, but I'd think TB does not support the normal type handlebars.
As to ease of use in the city, you will get used to it after a few hundred kilometres. Please give it time before you change it.

Congrats !
Old 16th February 2011, 19:44   #21
BHPian

@Rollin - Thanks for your advise on the braking. Yes, i felt the front brakes on the TBTS are sharp and i apply both the brakes simultaneously to have a better control and so far i am feeling no issues on that.

@ashokrajagopal - i did my own little polishing and buffing of the aluminium parts myself, but i should also say it was maintained very well by the seller. So credit goes to him as well. With regard to handlebar, i agree with both of you and also checked with few freinds and i think as you say the electricals, cables will become a pain. It is not too bad, but i was just wishing if could get something better. But, i think i will stay with this considering the Pro's and get used it. It will be a question of few rides anyway.

swami
Old 7th April 2011, 17:47   #22
BHPian

My heart used to love the old 350 Machismo (mid 90's). I used to love the plated looks and the muffled sound.

I came across a second hand Machismo 500- 2009 AVL which ran less than 10K km and quoted around 115K. The other option is to buy a new Electra Twinspark 350 UCE for the same price. I do not like the Classic 500 mainly becos of the low look (looks like a low duck tail to me, no offense please) and I am a big guy. What should I choose between the new Electra 350 UCE and Machismo 500 AVL. My head says Electra due to the new bike and UCE engine but heart says Machismo. Help me.
Old 13th April 2011, 04:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
A great buy for a great price. Congratulations! The TB handle bar is better for long rides (no shoulder aches!), and its seat is way more comfortable than the STD/CL.
I'm afraid I don't agree my friend. I have done Hyd-Blr-Pondicherry-Chennai on my STD UCE and didn't feel a thing. I did all of this with a duffel bag, yes the wheel thing, around my shoulders on the rear seat. I can't even begin to tell you about the Nandyal stretch on the way back.

As far as comfort is concerned, as scary it is, I slept off for a good 3 km after having a tall glass of lassi; thanks to a 150 ripper who whizzed past and reminded me to stop and have a smoke.

Nothing against Thunderbird, but my STD is as comfortable as a fairy's lap.
Old 13th April 2011, 07:09   #24
BHPian

@atrocious: Thats a pretty long stretch you have taken. Sleeping for couple of kilometers is really scary. It happend to me when driving my car on the highway but never in a bike. Safe driving yaar. Cheers
Old 13th April 2011, 22:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
My heart used to love the old 350 Machismo (mid 90's). I used to love the plated looks and the muffled sound.

I came across a second hand Machismo 500- 2009 AVL which ran less than 10K km and quoted around 115K. The other option is to buy a new Electra Twinspark 350 UCE for the same price. I do not like the Classic 500 mainly becos of the low look (looks like a low duck tail to me, no offense please) and I am a big guy. What should I choose between the new Electra 350 UCE and Machismo 500 AVL. My head says Electra due to the new bike and UCE engine but heart says Machismo. Help me.
No Bull experts around here to give some expert recommendations ?
Old 14th April 2011, 21:40   #26
BHPian

Go for the Machismo 500.
I do not personally own a M500 but i have had a chance to rid it.
A well maintained M500 will run very well. Some Spares are shared with M350 some exclusive to M500.
About availability of spares you will have to ask M500 users.
Take a test ride check for rattles at high speeds.
If its not been ridden for a long time the gears will be stiff.
Ask the owner if the self start has been problematic.
Post some pictures of the bike over hear.
Old 15th April 2011, 06:51   #27
BHPian

^
It rattles a lot even at lower speeds....
Why do you say that AVL-M500 engine is better than UCE-C500 ?
Old 15th April 2011, 09:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
^
Rattling comes as a complimentary gift with the AVL engine . You have to get used to it or just wear a good helmet then its all good. I don't have a M500 but i have a 2002 Tbird.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
^
Vibrations are a part of the AVL engine.
What i meant by rattles was uneven see- saw kind of effect throughout the bike, Handle bar not being stable, the bike itself not being stable
While riding let go of the handle bar, it should still go in a straight line and not banking left or right.
Needless to say this should done on a open and empty stretch of road preferably with a friend riding along.
Regarding the comparison between UCE500 and M500 just check out the thread on the ownership of c500.
IMO after spending 1.5l i would not like a flawed product. The flaws are being corrected by RE but the progress has been very slow.
Since the m500 in question is a 2009 model all the mfg defects had been duly rectified by the company.
The bike had become quite reliable by then.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:47   #30
BANNED

Dunno if this has been said earlier, but nothing can beat the mellow thump and the solid feel of the CI engine on the bullet.

I would never recommend the AVL or the UCE unless you are particular about buying a brand new bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks