Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 15:06   #76

Re: Renault Scala : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Nissan sales guy called me at the same time when Renault was launching Scala. He said they are offereing 6.5K cash discount on Nissan Sunny.
Even I got the call. But to me the sales executive said that Nissan is offering the 2years extended warranty free (for which Nissan was roughly charging around 7K till last week).

Satish - Did your sales guy tell about the extended warranty? Is the cash discount in addition to the free extended warranty or is it the same thing ?
Old 7th September 2012, 15:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

I just called the sales guy again. The OTR price for XL in Hyderabad is 9.77. This doesn't include extended warranty. The offer is only on OTR. So if somebody doesn't opt for ext. warranty, still they will be able to get the discount.

After going through Scala prices, Sunnny XV looks better VFM.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 7th September 2012 at 15:21.
Old 7th September 2012, 17:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Scala specifications -

Name:  Scala Specs.GIF
Views: 11153
Size:  90.4 KB

Scala Features -

Renault Scala : Official Review-scala-features-1.gif
Renault Scala : Official Review-scala-features-2.gif

Scala Colors -

Renault Scala : Official Review-scala-colors.gif

All taken from Renault Scala's homepage.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 22:21   #79
BHPian

What a waste of an opportunity by Renault. A typical example of going after profits and not creating a ‘connect’ with customers first. As someone looking to buy a sub 10L sedan, Renault unfortunately positioned itself as an “overpriced” brand. It happened with Fluence that they could not get the pricing right, but to do a mistake after you have a bumper product like Duster is a recipe for disaster. So why should someone pay the extra premium, for the brand Renault? I don’t think so.
I would have understood the difference in price if they were to provide improvements in gear-shift or better breaking or some snazzy feature like sun-roof etc. What a lame strategy of pricing higher and then giving discounts 3 months down the line . An introductory price or introductory extra warranty with same price would have done wonders to the sales for Renault. I like the looks of Scala over Sunny, minus the wheels, but I just hate the price differential.
rattandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 03:21   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77

the latest What Car indicates that the rear seats in the Scala drop down to liberate more space. Is this correct? Can you please confirm or is this a reporting blooper by What Car?

To the best of my knowledge this is not something available on my Sunny but can't wait to get back to my car and check first hand. If anyone knows this too off hand please do drop a line.

Thanks
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone who has seen the Scala is able to confirm this. Do the rear seats indeed drop down in the Scala? They don't in the Sunny.
Old 11th September 2012, 06:39   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone who has seen the Scala is able to confirm this. Do the rear seats indeed drop down in the Scala? They don't in the Sunny.
They don't in the Scala either. A 60:40 split would have been a nice touch but, like a lot of the other nice-to-haves, it's missing on the Scala.

After seeing the pricing, am wondering if anyone will buy the car at all when the Sunny offers much better VFM and the Rapid has so many more features.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:08   #82

Anoop, great review!

My question is about the Scala RxZ Vs. Sunny XV priced at 9.65 & 9.00 Lacs respectively. Which one should I really pick up? While I was expecting Scala to be priced lower than the Sunny, it isnt really the case.

But if I was to really pick between the two, what should it be. I am leaning towards the Sunny though but waiting for Diwali hoping there will be some more exciting offers.
Old 12th September 2012, 16:23   #83
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India reported today that Renault may launch an automatic variant of the Scala in the coming two or three months.

SOURCE
Old 12th September 2012, 16:36   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns1976 View Post
My question is about the Scala RxZ Vs. Sunny XV priced at 9.65 & 9.00 Lacs respectively. Which one should I really pick up? While I was expecting Scala to be priced lower than the Sunny, it isnt really the case.

But if I was to really pick between the two, what should it be.
Check here for some good opinions. Though in your case, if you were actually expecting the Scala o be lower priced, it is a no brainer . Get the Sunny! Add some nice Stanley leather aftermarket and you will STILL save some money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Autocar India reported today that Renault may launch an automatic variant of the Scala in the coming two or three months.

SOURCE
Thanks, but it is hardly a "scoop"- Renault announced the CVT at the test drive itself; unfortunately they didn't have any models on hand. It is mentioned in the early posts in this thread.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:44   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Check here for some good opinions. Though in your case, if you were actually expecting the Scala o be lower priced, it is a no brainer . Get the Sunny! Add some nice Stanley leather aftermarket and you will STILL save some money!
Thanks Anoop! Looks like the addition to my garage will be the Sunny

Off-topic - I have been trying to look for Stanley for a while in the Gurgaon-Delhi area but havent found them. Someone know about any dealers / retailers that can do my interiors for my City ZX?

Last edited by noopster : 12th September 2012 at 17:26. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 14th September 2012, 06:54   #86
BHPian

Nissan Sunny will be the best pick and VFM, in terms of initial cost as well as considering the service back up on the long run. Renault .... yet to catch up on the service front.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:25   #87

I had booked a Duster 85 diesel with all options and with no commitment on delivery they raised prices by 50K from Oct'12 making it 13 L onroad. A visit to the showroom in Bangalore found me checking the Scala more out of curiosity and at 11.6 L onroad found that it had many great features but no, it is a sedan and not a SUV. Renault apparently has launched Scala after building up some inventory and so its readily available.

So far only 160 Dusters have been delivered and in Sept to keep the shrill complaints down they delivered almost 60 within a day especially since price was going up. They finally told me that sometime in December I can hope for delivery. Sources say that the govt will soon impose a huge tax on diesel cars and the question is whether the govt will wait for the budget or do it straight away.

The smug and standoffish behaviour of the manager of the showroom made me think that success if not handled right by Renault can derail them in terms of public opinion.

Finally I succumbed and changed my decision to go in for a Scala after a test drive.

The car is loaded with features right from leather seats, automatic climate control, electrically operated rear mirrors and a generous boot space. The seating at the rear is excellent and even with the front seat pushed to the maximum limi back, the person behind could sit stretching his legs easily. The rear a/c blowers are better placed compared to the Duster.

The ride was smooth and while I did feel that engine noise inside seemed higher, maybe I was biased due to the reviews I had read in advance. It handled well on the road and even at 1000 rpm and 4 th gear and 40 kmph it moved smoothly without any jerks.

Did try braking and did not feel any discernible issues even though the review had some concerns to express.

The driver seat has height adjustment which finally made up my mind since I sorely need a higher seat and that is why I have never considered a sedan till now.

My nephew said that the rear looks like a Jaguar !!! Honestly have no idea but it looks good.

Hope to get the car delivered in Black color by last week of October (due to shraddh period now) and will try posting some pictures.
Old 30th September 2012, 13:46   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasisht View Post
Finally I succumbed and changed my decision to go in for a Scala after a test drive.

The car is loaded with features right from leather seats, automatic climate control, electrically operated rear mirrors and a generous boot space. The seating at the rear is excellent and even with the front seat pushed to the maximum limi back, the person behind could sit stretching his legs easily. The rear a/c blowers are better placed compared to the Duster.
Any reasons for not considering the Nissan Sunny in your case? They are both practically the same cars apart from minor exterior changes which are amply compensated by the lesser price tag of the Sunny. The Sunny XVD is feature loaded to the brim. Also since you were put off by Renault's dealer attitude. The Nissan experience may turn out to be better owing to there Japanese lineage.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:28   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Any reasons for not considering the Nissan Sunny in your case? They are both practically the same cars apart from minor exterior changes which are amply compensated by the lesser price tag of the Sunny. The Sunny XVD is feature loaded to the brim. Also since you were put off by Renault's dealer attitude. The Nissan experience may turn out to be better owing to there Japanese lineage.
Having paid for and already booked the Duster and since I was changing I stayed with this. Also was told that Sunny has a 4 month waiting period but can be wrong. Also assumed that this has some improvements based on Sunny experience. :-)

The MAIN criterion for any vehicle that I purchase is height of seat since I have a bad back. Scala I found OK. But the ground clearance at 161 mm I think is too low and I fear that may start scraping the undercarriage in many bad roads/speed breakers. Ground clearance lower than Honda Civic which I have driven and that kisses the ground easily. Based on Sunny experience any comments please ?

I am thinking that if I can change the tyres to something broader/bigger whether that would help, is it advisable ?

Planning to get a rear view camera/sensor fitted, dealer showed a 4 inch x 2 inch screen system. Would that be sufficient for a clear view since have never used such a system before. What would experts here suggest ?

Greatly appreciate advise to help.
Old 15th October 2012, 23:32   #90
BHPian

No buyers for Renault Scala? There is not much discussion happening around this car too.
Since September, I dont see anybody posting anything on this thread for last one month. I have not seen a single Scala on the road till now in Bangalore, though I do find few Sunnys around.
It looks like end of story for Scala in India, especially due to bad pricing. Hope this kind of blunder is not done again while sharing the platforms and selling in different names. Hope Nissan is listening and if at all they release re-branded duster!

Most Viewed