Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 18:47   #106
BHPian

Re: Renault Scala CVT

I happen to watch last week NDTV auto show and Siddharth claims that the ARAI mileage figures for CVT is around 17.93 kmpl, around 1kmpl more than manual transmission model.
Old 15th January 2013, 19:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Nissan has already surprised us in the past with the fantastic gearbox on 118NE, which is probably a benchmark even for modern cars in terms of smoothness. Looks like Renault-Nissan is set to repeat history with a benchmark in a new area.
Old 15th January 2013, 21:21   #108
Senior - BHPian

With a petrol automatic, isn't Renault trying to take a slice of a very small pie? IMHO, it would make sense for them to have introduced a diesel automatic.
Old 15th January 2013, 22:26   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
With a petrol automatic, isn't Renault trying to take a slice of a very small pie? IMHO, it would make sense for them to have introduced a diesel automatic.
I wonder how much of the Sunny/Scala sales are petrol. It makes more sense for them to offer autobox option on all the diesel variants, rather than the current trend many manufacturers have of giving an autobox option only on top variant.

A diesel + AT box would probably find more takers. With an AT box the diesel Sunny XL (lower variant) would easily go ~ Rs. 10.5L OTR Thane/Mumbai assuming Rs. 50K as price premium for the autobox, everything else on the car remaining same.
I couldn't justify to myself spending the almost Rs. 10L OTR of the diesel XL manual variant, an AT would probably have tempted me to go for it though. BTW, I eventually bought a used Civic AT running on CNG since an autobox and low daily running costs are important for me.
Old 15th January 2013, 22:51   #110
BHPian

97 bhp @ a ski high 6000 rpm, and a CVT box which is in short a rubber band? Might be risky to use this on a highway with A/c and load (your typical bombay-poona driver)
Ford5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 23:08   #111
BHPian

Surprised Renault has opted to have the auto tranny on the petrol Scala first considering it is their diesel workhorse that has dominated the sales charts. I would've thought it made logical sense to debut it on the diesel and follow it up on the 1.5 L petrol later. But strange are the ways of carmakers at times!

I'd rather see Renault mate the AT gearbox across their diesel Scala range offering buyers the option to choose an autobox at every trim level. I think that way they would open themselves to a much wider audience.

Also I'd take those ARAI ratings with a pinch of salt!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 15th January 2013 at 23:09.
Old 15th January 2013, 23:52   #112
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nissan is a pioneer in CVT transmission but the CVT is still not capable of handling the high torque of the diesel and i don't think Nissan has a conventional Auto Box.

CVT does indeed give a higher mileage since its has a infinite gear ratio upto a certain point .
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 08:56   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Nissan is a pioneer in CVT transmission but the CVT is still not capable of handling the high torque of the diesel and i don't think Nissan has a conventional Auto Box.
Renault does have a dual clutch AT box to go with the 1.5 dCi (see attached). Probably they are planning to bring that in with the Fluence.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Scala : Official Review-renault.jpg  

Old 17th January 2013, 09:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Scala : Official Review

Before our team comes with the official TD report, lets have a look at what IAB has to say on this, first hand;
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/r...estdrive-60456
Old 17th January 2013, 10:37   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nicely written.One more poorly designed car dished out to Indian customers...
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:33   #116

More than 2 months old, a little bit of long distance driving and my update on the Scala.

1) Easily touch 120 effortlessely and coast at that speed.
2) In city with the bad traffic getting about 13 kmpl but on highway it seems to go up to 16/17.
3) When you take a normal curve at a little speed the car drags/feels like tilt to one side and creates a bit of unease and insecurity. The Ford Fusion could hug the road on curves far better. Maybe the weight matters & am no Schumacher so this is not an issue.
4) Apart from the major buttons the rest do not have inbuilt illumination. Could have been provided.
5) The warning lamps go off soon after starting. What is the use then of having them ? This is a big minus on Scala.
6) The rear windshield should have had a wiper in my personal opinion. In Bangalore rains the defrost wasnt too effective and the rear visibility not very comfortable.
7) My rear seat passengers are the most happy of the lot.

In short love the car and the experience but just wish point 5 had been addressed.

Vasisht
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasisht View Post
More than 2 months old, a little bit of long distance driving and my update on the Scala.

5) The warning lamps go off soon after starting. What is the use then of having them ? This is a big minus on Scala.

In short love the car and the experience but just wish point 5 had been addressed.

Vasisht
The warning lamps are designed to light up only if there's a problem that requires your attention. Normally, they just light up on start up to show you that the lamps aren't faulty and turn off soon after starting. It's not a minus as all the cars in the market have the same set up.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:50   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are they asking for attention or any maintenance?

So you want the ABS, Air-bag, Engine hot, pump, low oil indicator, water in the tank & other warning icons (lamps) to light up while you are driving? All at once like a diwali lamp? Sure about this?

You my friend are very brave.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:27   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3) When you take a normal curve at a little speed the car drags/feels like tilt to one side and creates a bit of unease and insecurity.
Over-steer ?

Quote:
6) The rear windshield should have had a wiper in my personal opinion. In Bangalore rains the defrost wasnt too effective and the rear visibility not very comfortable.
Rear wipers are typically available as OE fitment only on SUV's, Hatchbacks, and Notch-backs like the Accent Viva.

Did you have fogging on the inside of the w/s - or were you trying for better visibility due to water standing on the outside of the rear-w/s ?
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

The Scala looks good, has a lot of space for all passengers, has decent features and gives great mileage [17kpl in city?], I wonder why it doesn't sell much or has very few takers in TBHP?

What are the major reasons that people are giving this car a miss? Is it due to unknown service factor?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks