Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 13:00   #61
BHPian

Re: Renault Scala : Official Review

Great photos and text.

Scala looks far more sofisticated than Sunny, imho esp the higher versions. Yes, Scala could have better interior to differentiate from Sunny's dull grey interior. I drove Sunny petrol the Automatic version, it feels cheapo, drives sedate. The highway drive around 100 was very decent and the exceptional backseat legroom is a boon. But at some time, the extra length of the vehicle is too much to handle.

One thing, if anyone noticed, the test car has rear disc break? I see a small aluminum shine in one of the photos.

Last edited by sgmuser : 5th September 2012 at 13:02. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 15:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great work with your first review Noopster I am in agreement with GTO that its a great move by Renault to launch Scala soon after Duster. They are gearing up their portfolio in a good way. Hope they expand their service centers and provide better sales experience.

About the car itself, it definitely looks better than Sunny, but for the price difference they could have given better brakes and some Renault exclusivity

What next? Van based on Evalia?
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 18:10   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
One thing, if anyone noticed, the test car has rear disc break? I see a small aluminum shine in one of the photos.
Nope, front discs only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

What next? Van based on Evalia?
Nope again. Renault is pretty set, product-wise, for now. They are not going to launch any new products in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujAce View Post
...you've made my life difficult now. After TD-ing various cars, I had kind of finalised on the Sunny due to its VFM-ness - when this review comes along... Guess I'll need to visit the Renault showroom once to check out the Scala.

Any idea how good/bad is Renault's ASS? I've not heard much abt them yet, so checking. Let me know pls.
SujAce, if you've selected the Sunny for its VFM, you are on to a good thing and should probably go ahead. Trust me, when you drive the Scala, it is EXACTLY the same as the Sunny.
Renault's A.S.S is an unknown quantity for now. Check some ownership reports of people with Fluence and Pulse- it may help.
Old 6th September 2012, 19:50   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
So, what's new vis-a-vis the Nissan Sunny?

• Different front & rear end treatment (including sheet metal changes, lights & bumpers)
• The top-end RxZ trim gets leather seats & door inserts
• The middle RxL variant also gets alloy wheels and the fine vision meter console
• Follow-me-home lamps have been added
• Alloy wheels from the Renault Pulse
• Lower variants get a different seat upholstery colour combination
• Some more chrome
• Petrol available in base RxE and mid RxL trims only
• Diesel available in mid RxL and top-end RxZ trims only
• Petrol CVT automatic expected to hit the market in early 2013
• A 2+2 year / 80,000 km warranty
the latest What Car indicates that the rear seats in the Scala drop down to liberate more space. Is this correct? Can you please confirm or is this a reporting blooper by What Car?

To the best of my knowledge this is not something available on my Sunny but can't wait to get back to my car and check first hand. If anyone knows this too off hand please do drop a line.

Thanks

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th September 2012 at 20:16.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:23   #65
Senior - BHPian

Watch Renault Scala official launch video LIVE on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/Renault.co.i...6510778?ref=ts

Overall, the CEO is extremely happy and excited that the Duster has given them the required foothold on Indian soil.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

For people who cannot access facebook in office, try this link on Rediff.

http://www.rediff.com/business/repor...a/20120907.htm
Old 7th September 2012, 11:52   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Scala RxE Petrol - 6,99,000/-

Scala RxL Petrol - 7,85,000/-

Scala RxL Diesel - 8,69,000/-

Scala RxZ Diesel - 9,57,000/-

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 12:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Scala RxE Petrol - 6,99,000/-

Scala RxL Petrol - 7,85,000/-

Scala RxL Diesel - 8,69,000/-

Scala RxZ Diesel - 9,57,000/-

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.
A quick comparison with the autocar print magazine tells me that except for the base petrol which is priced at 1 lakh more than the Sunny, all other models are priced at a premium of 50-60K.

I m confused as to what to think about the pricing. Would be interesting to know the views of the experts here on pricing.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:21   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
A quick comparison with the autocar print magazine tells me that except for the base petrol which is priced at 1 lakh more than the Sunny, all other models are priced at a premium of 50-60K.

I m confused as to what to think about the pricing. Would be interesting to know the views of the experts here on pricing.
Petrol -:

Sunny XE - 588,000 Scala RxE Petrol - 6,99,000/-

Sunny XL - 698,000 Scala RxL Petrol - 7,85,000/-

Sunny XV - 778,000

Diesel -:

Sunny XL - 798,000 Scala RxL Diesel - 8,69,000/-

Sunny XV - 878,000 Scala RxZ Diesel - 9,57,000/-

I am not impressed with the pricing at all. Why would i pay around a lakh for Scala over sunny, only sole difference being exteriors.

You see the interiors and i am pretty sure, you won't be able to tell the difference between two, without seeing the exteriors.

Among these two, Sunny is far more VFM.

And don't forget the vento, with the recent addition of new feautres and Price reduction ( highline variant ) Vento should be the ideal choice among the segment.

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 7th September 2012 at 12:23.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:24   #70

I think 50-60 k markup on sunny is fair given the changes in the design and interior minor changes done.

I am looking to pick either Scala or Sunny and for me the decision is boiling down to two things:

1. The looks of the two cars - I like Nissan's front and Scala's rear. Wish they would have merged it . would now need to concede ground somewhere.

2. Nissan vs Renault per se from a long term after sale service and maintenance perspective

Seniors please provide your expert thoughts - Nissan or Renault ?

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:27   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

The XV is not priced well at all. The only extra discerning feature in the Scala is leather seats.

The Scala XL is a little better than the Sunny XL since you get alloy wheels as well as the fine vision meters.

Overall it's not great pricing but not too bad either. Very similar to the Rapid and Vento price difference.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:32   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not impressed with the pricing. Those looking at a workhorse (as I did) would buy the diesel mid-variant. The onroad price difference crosses 60K. I'd rather buy a Sunny top-end with better alloys, pure keyless entry, engine start / stop button, foglamps etc. for another 20K.

The top-variant diesel gets leather (over the Sunny), but asks 70K on the road for it.

The difference in petrol is alarming. It's 1.10 lakhs OTR for the base, and close to 90K for the mid.

Renault is trying to establish itself as a premium brand, but it's lesser known than Nissan. It runs the risk of being branded as an "overpriced" brand....especially if Nissan eventually launches a cheaper Duster. I'd have accepted a price difference of 40K, but this is too much.

The Scala also extends the price difference the Sunny had over the competent Tata Manza (niggles aside).

The VW Vento Highline costs only 30K more! The Scala is down on horsepower, torque, driving pleasure, handling, BRAKES and interior quality. Seriously, between the Scala & Vento at nearly the same price, it's a no brainer (VW's suspect reliability aside).

Renault Scala : Official Review-renault-scala-prices.png

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2012 at 12:41.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 12:38   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Petrol -:

Sunny XE - 588,000 Scala RxE Petrol - 6,99,000/-

Sunny XL - 698,000 Scala RxL Petrol - 7,85,000/-

Sunny XV - 778,000

Diesel -:

I am not impressed with the pricing at all. Why would i pay around a lakh for Scala over sunny, only sole difference being exteriors.

You see the interiors and i am pretty sure, you won't be able to tell the difference between two, without seeing the exteriors.

Among these two, Sunny is far more VFM.

And don't forget the vento, with the recent addition of new feautres and Price reduction ( highline variant ) Vento should be the ideal choice among the segment.

Cheers,
Sameer
Slight difference in prices and one major disagreement.
Petrol
Nissan Sunny XE Rs. 5,93,310/-
Nissan Sunny XL Rs. 7,05,141/-
Nissan Sunny XV Rs. 7,86,471/-

Diesel

XL- Rs. 8,11,888/-
XV-Rs. 8,93,218/-

Which means the base petrol of scala is priced at a premium of 1 lakh.
Petrol XL is at a premium of 80K

Diesels are more closely priced.

XL is at a premium of 58K and XV at 63K

Disagreement over the point that Vento is the ideal choice. As a drivers car, may be, but not everyone, not always buys a car just for the joy of driving, which in itself is highly subjective and varies from person to person. IMO there is no ideal choice in any segment. Its always about compromises and which compromises you are ready to accept and which not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Renault is trying to establish itself as a premium brand, but it's lesser known than Nissan. It runs the risk of being branded as an "overpriced" brand....especially if Nissan eventually launches a cheaper Duster. I'd have accepted a price difference of 40K, but this is too much.
Agree, more so considering the fact that Scala doesn't really come across as more premium than the Sunny. I was looking at the sunny as my probable next buy and the different styling of Scala interested me, but the price difference has dampened the joy. I think if one is deciding to buy a scala, Diesel XL makes most sense. No sense in going for petrol, Sunny is any day a better buy.

Last edited by vibbs : 7th September 2012 at 12:44.
Old 7th September 2012, 13:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The top-variant diesel gets leather (over the Sunny), but asks 70K on the road for it.

The difference in petrol is alarming. It's 1.10 lakhs OTR for the base, and close to 90K for the mid.
The prices are high, but they also need to factor in the discount season starting October. So, they have already put in some buffer from the word go.
I know this can go the Jazz way, but it is like playing defensive in the game of Chess. Risky business, this automobile thingy.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 14:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

Nissan sales guy called me at the same time when Renault was launching Scala. He said they are offereing 6.5K cash discount on Nissan Sunny.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks