Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2015, 06:09   #796
Senior - BHPian

BMW 320d & 328i : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
There is a BSI Brochure on the BMW India website which clearly lists out everything. You can ask your dealer to send you the .pdf if you want. I'm on mobile otherwise would have found it for you.
BMW India is now giving 2 separate things - a BSI pack and an extended warranty pack. Earlier BSi ultimate used to cover every thing, even out of warranty things.

BSI plus will cover your oil, filters, brake pads/discs etc but will not cover mechanical items like alternator or electronic seats failure.

They are offering a separate 5 year/60,000 warranty pack for 85k or so and the BSi pack costs separate 2.5 lacs for 5year/60,000 which will cover your services.

Am definitely going for extended warranty but not too sure of bsi pack. Dont think i will be spending 2.5 lacs in 5 years on the maintenance part, brake related jobs can be done outside too at independent garages and with extended warranty, you are definitely covered for all mechanical/electronic failures.

Have time till first service, will see what the car shows according to my driving style and decide if taking bsi is better or not.

To give a comparison, bmw workshop quoted brake pads at 19000 whereas outside the brembo/textar ones are available for 7-8k

Last edited by coolboy007 : 29th September 2015 at 06:11.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 11:43   #797
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
BMW India is now giving 2 separate things - a BSI pack and an extended warranty pack. Earlier BSi ultimate used to cover every thing, even out of warranty things.

BSI plus will cover your oil, filters, brake pads/discs etc but will not cover mechanical items like alternator or electronic seats failure.

They are offering a separate 5 year/60,000 warranty pack for 85k or so and the BSi pack costs separate 2.5 lacs for 5year/60,000 which will cover your services.

Am definitely going for extended warranty but not too sure of bsi pack. Dont think i will be spending 2.5 lacs in 5 years on the maintenance part, brake related jobs can be done outside too at independent garages and with extended warranty, you are definitely covered for all mechanical/electronic failures.

Have time till first service, will see what the car shows according to my driving style and decide if taking bsi is better or not.

To give a comparison, bmw workshop quoted brake pads at 19000 whereas outside the brembo/textar ones are available for 7-8k
If I remember correctly BMW India offers BSI Service Inclusive + Secure or extended warranty.

BSI has three levels: Basic, Plus & Ultimate detailed here
Name:  Screen Shot 20151001 at 11.33.07 am.png
Views: 2573
Size:  55.0 KB

Basically this is a package where you don't pay anything for maintenance of the car, including the consumables.

You can find the detailed brochure here - service_brochure.pdf

The different types of Secure are listed here
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-screen-shot-20151001-11.33.41-am.png

Secure is basically a branded insurance product with ICICI which you can only purchase from BMW India. (I tried getting my regular ICICI agent, he was not able to offer Secure. They only have a Titanium plan but that doesn't cover Alloy & Tyre Damage under regular running. Only accident).

I got quotes from almost every insurance company out there, nobody was offering tyre and wheel damage inclusive. And since I had a car with 19' rims earlier there is no way I am not going to get insurance on them. So I got the secure Essential package. The dealership people were kind enough to give me a free bump up to the Advantage level (approx Rs 10k difference) without asking I'm quite happy and delighted with that because it covers hydrostatic locks as-well.

You can find the Secure brochure here Secure Package wordings.pdf

Extended warranty is basically just an extension of the normal factory warranty, this is a picture of the exclusions of the extended warranty that my dealer sent me.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-a27a02d7043a5aff7fef846a4083969d.jpg

Last edited by quickdraw : 1st October 2015 at 11:46.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:07   #798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I got quotes from almost every insurance company out there, nobody was offering tyre and wheel damage inclusive. And since I had a car with 19' rims earlier there is no way I am not going to get insurance on them. So I got the secure Essential package. The dealership people were kind enough to give me a free bump up to the Advantage level (approx Rs 10k difference) without asking I'm quite happy and delighted with that because it covers hydrostatic locks as-well.
Was it because of your low profile tyres that the companies outside were not offering coverage? In any case how will they know what profile tyres are you running your car on? When I was in the market to renew my car insurance, almost all companies are offering exact coverage as the BMW secure and at almost half rates. Finally opted for Future Generali and they cover tyres, alloys and hydrostatic lock. I even confirmed the same from BMW service centre and they confirmed that these companies too cover all the stuff.

I do not see much advantage of BMW secure.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:13   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Was it because of your low profile tyres that the companies outside were not offering coverage? In any case how will they know what profile tyres are you running your car on? When I was in the market to renew my car insurance, almost all companies are offering exact coverage as the BMW secure and at almost half rates. Finally opted for Future Generali and they cover tyres, alloys and hydrostatic lock. I even confirmed the same from BMW service centre and they confirmed that these companies too cover all the stuff.

I do not see much advantage of BMW secure.
No it had nothing to do with the low profile tires or 18' rims. Every insurance company will say they cover tires and wheels but only in case of an accident. If for example you damage your tire/wheel in a pothole they will refuse to honour the claim. I went to great lengths and discussed this with a whole bunch of agents who happily told me that they are covered, but I asked them to call their superior and specifically ask about damage in normal running condition. All of them got back with a no. Hence I paid the difference and opted for secure. I would suggest you contact your insurance agent or toll free and specifically ask for damage without an accident and only in 'normal circumstances' and see if they have you covered.

The normal 17' with 45 profile tires are much less susceptible to problems though, maximum you will have a sidewall bulge and need to replace the tire. But in 18' I think the chances of that happening even if I am careful are might higher.
Old 1st October 2015, 14:11   #800
Senior - BHPian

Got the beauty home yesterday all the way from Chandigarh, am few of the lucky ones who got to drive the car 260kms straight out of show room, on one of the best highways of India - NH-1.

Initial impressions will follow soon but after Vento, this seems like a car from different planet. Power, handling, gearbox, every thing is top class. 100-120 feels like crawling and a twist of accelerator unleashes true rwd torque. Buying experience was brilliant with all the staff being very courteous, cake cutting ceremony etc.

It was a dream owning the Ultimat3 from so many years and it is all thanks to dad. Glad to have a father who is crazy about cars like me, we got a call at 11AM that money has been credited in dealer's account and dad did not hesitate one bit so we both went and brought the car to Delhi same day, the smile on his face says it all.

Niggle - car is pulling noticeably to the left, have checked pressures using digital gauge and all is fine, have shot a strongly worded mail to BMW yesterday night at 2 about it as i did not expect this in a new car. Any one else faced similar issue after delivery? Impressed by BMW India's lightening quick response though, got a call today itself from BMW apologizing for the problem and they have requested me to go to the workshop where they will check alignment again. They were sending driver to pick the car up but then i never trust my cars with any one else

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-1.jpg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-2.jpg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-3.jpg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-4.jpg
coolboy007 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 16:09   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Got the beauty home yesterday all the way from Chandigarh, am few of the lucky ones who got to drive the car 260kms straight out of show room, on one of the best highways of India - NH-1.

Initial impressions will follow soon but after Vento, this seems like a car from different planet. Power, handling, gearbox, every thing is top class. 100-120 feels like crawling and a twist of accelerator unleashes true rwd torque. Buying experience was brilliant with all the staff being very courteous, cake cutting ceremony etc.

It was a dream owning the Ultimat3 from so many years and it is all thanks to dad. Glad to have a father who is crazy about cars like me, we got a call at 11AM that money has been credited in dealer's account and dad did not hesitate one bit so we both went and brought the car to Delhi same day, the smile on his face says it all.

Niggle - car is pulling noticeably to the left, have checked pressures using digital gauge and all is fine, have shot a strongly worded mail to BMW yesterday night at 2 about it as i did not expect this in a new car. Any one else faced similar issue after delivery? Impressed by BMW India's lightening quick response though, got a call today itself from BMW apologizing for the problem and they have requested me to go to the workshop where they will check alignment again. They were sending driver to pick the car up but then i never trust my cars with any one else

Attachment 1421650

Attachment 1421651

Attachment 1421652

Attachment 1421653
congrats for ultimate 3 as you have mentioned no doubt it is one of the best car I have owned in india until now (that's my personal opinion), yes it is powerful machine so be careful, unless you don't look at the speedo you wont realise what speed you are driving.

never heard pulling left on a new delivered car, must be alignment only, I cannot think of anything else as you already checked the tyre pressure, but yes they should have checked the car which they do before delivering, such things should not go unnoticed, and I can understand how irritating it must have been for you.

please let us know what was the issue, also share some interior pics. are you planning any mods on the car

cheers

Last edited by The Saint : 1st October 2015 at 16:23.
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:01   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No it had nothing to do with the low profile tires or 18' rims. Every insurance company will say they cover tires and wheels but only in case of an accident. If for example you damage your tire/wheel in a pothole they will refuse to honour the claim. I went to great lengths and discussed this with a whole bunch of agents who happily told me that they are covered, but I asked them to call their superior and specifically ask about damage in normal running condition. All of them got back with a no. Hence I paid the difference and opted for secure.
Buddy I have already got both my left side rims replaced under Insurance when my car went over a pothole and both left side alloys broke. So they are definitely covered.

BTW has BMW silently added bluetooth music streaming for music in the base variant (Prestige) of the 320D? My car only has phone connectivity but there is no music streaming over bluetooth. However member coolboy007 above told me that in his car the function is working.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd October 2015 at 09:06.
Old 2nd October 2015, 11:22   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy I have already got both my left side rims replaced under Insurance when my car went over a pothole and both left side alloys broke. So they are definitely covered.

Can you share details? Which insurance and plan this is. And what premium you paid. Did they pay back full cost of wheels and tires or did some deductions?
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:05   #804
Senior - BHPian

It seems BMW have silently added bluetooth streaming to even the prestige variants. Was surprised when the streaming worked flawlessly as i had a word with drmohitg and he had said that streaming does not work. I was disappointed as my sister always streams music as soon as she sits inside and it would have been a downer if this was not present.

I was shocked to see that the vanity mirrors have no lights, wonder what it would have cost them that they removed the lights from there. Cmon BMW, how cheap

Going to workshop tomorrow to get alignment checked so will have a word with them if bluetooth streaming is just a software update or some hardware part has been added. 2 days up and have covered 400 kms, it is a bliss driving this car around. Used sports mode once and she shot forward like a rocket, i own a Vento and it is a fast car for its segment but those who drive Fiesta/City/Ecosport etc would be terrified with the acceleration. RWD push from the back is to die for.

Waiting for a feedback mail/call from BMW India, this alignment issue on the very first day is not acceptable, watch out BMW's feedback team - am gonna rip your clothes apart

Got a very good quality dupont tyvek body cover from Amazon India, fits snugly and has a soft material inside to prevent scratches.

That is where the beast will be parked with those eyes lit up every time you unlock.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-tbhp.jpg

2 days - 400 kms up, finding reasons to take the car out.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-tbhp2trip.jpg

Bluetooth audio showing iphone as an available device under multimedia.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-bluetooth.jpg

Clearly shows the song being played via "iphone"
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw-bluetooth-1.jpg

Quote:
BSI has three levels: Basic, Plus & Ultimate detailed here
Attachment 1421531
This is what i said, am repeating it again. There is no such thing as BSI ultimate now, it has been stopped by BMW India. Talk to your dealer about it, there are other plans now but no BSI ultimate.

Quote:
Extended warranty is basically just an extension of the normal factory warranty, this is a picture of the exclusions of the extended warranty that my dealer sent me.
Noted two things here, they do not cover rattles/squeaks in extended warranty so it is a bad thing as all other brands to get this work done. Xenon bulbs are covered under extended warranty and they cost a bomb, so you can flash high beam all you want on those buggers who block the right lane on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
congrats for ultimate 3 as you have mentioned no doubt it is one of the best car I have owned in india until now (that's my personal opinion), yes it is powerful machine so be careful, unless you don't look at the speedo you wont realise what speed you are driving.
Thanks Saint, have been warned about the power by many people and yeah am keeping it easy for now. The brake pads, tyres are yet to run in so am keeping things safe. Impossible to drive this car slow though, 100-110 feels like crawling.

Quote:
BTW has BMW silently added bluetooth music streaming for music in the base variant (Prestige) of the 320D? My car only has phone connectivity but there is no music streaming over bluetooth. However member coolboy007 above told me that in his car the function is working.
Will ask the workshop guys about it, hope they have a clue about it. In USA, the workshop guys are able to permanently switch off the auto start/stop feature (there is a BMW circular about it) but these guys do not have an idea about it here. I just hate this feature and it is troublesome deactivating it every time, am gonna ask about this as well.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:35   #805
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Basically the idrive head unit was changed. In with the earlier head unit which was HU_entry for all F30s, to have bluetooth streaming and some other features a combox was needed (which was missing on the Prestige). Now the system used is HU_entrynav which doesn't need the external combox, hence the BT streaming is activated on all variants.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:55   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Basically the idrive head unit was changed. In with the earlier head unit which was HU_entry for all F30s, to have bluetooth streaming and some other features a combox was needed (which was missing on the Prestige). Now the system used is HU_entrynav which doesn't need the external combox, hence the BT streaming is activated on all variants.

Interesting, Akshay have you been able to get any coding done via the dealer? I was thinking about the auto fold mirrors on lock and a bunch of other things.

Quote:

This is what i said, am repeating it again. There is no such thing as BSI ultimate now, it has been stopped by BMW India. Talk to your dealer about it, there are other plans now but no BSI ultimate.

Noted two things here, they do not cover rattles/squeaks in extended warranty so it is a bad thing as all other brands to get this work done. Xenon bulbs are covered under extended warranty and they cost a bomb, so you can flash high beam all you want on those buggers who block the right lane on highways.

I just hate this feature and it is troublesome deactivating it every time, am gonna ask about this as well.

Maybe they are not offering it for your car/model. Since its a BMW India product I'd say you ask them about it.

Warranty was a big requirement for me. Even a seat motor or outside mirror costs a bomb.

Does the auto start/stop shut off in Sport mode 😈

Also guys did you know the inside barrels of the lights don't actually have any bulbs in them. Was quite dumbfounded when I found that out. But its common for almost all bimmers now.

Also the there is a screen below the speedo but doesn't seem like it comes on or displays anything. Is it specific to India? Because have not seen any video with it showing anything.
Old 2nd October 2015, 20:06   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share details? Which insurance and plan this is. And what premium you paid. Did they pay back full cost of wheels and tires or did some deductions?
The first plan was from ICICI that I had bought on my own from outside. Paid around 66k for the same as premium. They didn't know create any fuss in changing both my left side alloys. The tyres were fine with no damage. My current plan is with Future Generali and before opting for them, I called BMW service centre and the guy who earlier had dealt with my car confirmed that this company also provides coverage for tyres, alloys and hydrostatic lock. Further more my insurance agent even provided me atleast a dozen car numbers that got claims settled for alloys and hydrostatic lock and the same list was confirmed by the BMW service centre.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 20:25   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe they are not offering it for your car/model. Since its a BMW India product I'd say you ask them about it.
Any new bmw product and bsi ultimate is not being offered. BSI plus which covers all oils, pads, discs etc is offered and a separate 5-6 year extended warranty package is being offered.
Since you are buying a pre owned car, they maybe offering bsi ultimate on their premium selection cars.

Quote:
Does the auto start/stop shut off in Sport mode 😈
Nopes, i dont think so.

Quote:
Also guys did you know the inside barrels of the lights don't actually have any bulbs in them. Was quite dumbfounded when I found that out. But its common for almost all bimmers now. .
I had searched for it on google and yeah the inside barrel has nothing. Just serves the purpose of angel eyes. The xenons are very powerful bro, you will love the night driving experience.
Old 2nd October 2015, 21:13   #809
BANNED

Quote:
Got the beauty home
Boss, is your firm hiring, just in case it is, count me in !!

GOSH - "2015 BMW 320D, 2014 Ford Fiesta TDCI, 2013 Ford Ecosport TDCI, 2012 VW Vento TDi, 2009 Fiat Linea"

Each year a new car, anyways, enjoy the beauty and many a happy miles ahead.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 09:51   #810
BANNED

Quote:
It seems BMW have silently added bluetooth streaming to even the prestige variants. Was surprised when the streaming worked flawlessly as i had a word with drmohitg and he had said that streaming does not work. I was disappointed as my sister always streams music as soon as she sits inside and it would have been a downer if this was not present.
Congrats on the car bro. Seems you live in Dwarka only. We should catch up for a drive. On a serious note, the car looks fabulous!
kisharchit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks