Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2014, 19:25   #676
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaydaryani View Post

Hope i get a few replies to this.. as getting it serviced so soon with hardly any miles, is a pocket burner for me...let me know..thanks guys..!!
The service in BMW is condition based, but there is a time limit for it too. If you drive hard, the kms needed for service will reduce much faster than the actual kms done. So its best to stick to the cars recommendation.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:04   #677
BHPian

Hi Guys, Need some information on service schedule. My 3 series F30 is due for first service in another 650 Kms as per MID[Odo is at 8700Kms]. The problem is I am planning to go for a trip which covers around 1600 Kms in 2 weeks. Is it Ok that I can give the Car for service after completing my trip. Since this is going to be the first service, I am not sure if I can cover an extra 1000 Kms from the service schedule as intimated by the MID.
Any information is highly appreciated.
Old 19th December 2014, 11:09   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Hi Guys, Need some information on service schedule. My 3 series F30 is due for first service in another 650 Kms as per MID[Odo is at 8700Kms]. The problem is I am planning to go for a trip which covers around 1600 Kms in 2 weeks. Is it Ok that I can give the Car for service after completing my trip. Since this is going to be the first service, I am not sure if I can cover an extra 1000 Kms from the service schedule as intimated by the MID.
Any information is highly appreciated.
Why don't you ask the A.S.S.? I am sure they will tell you the if it is ok.

In any case with just 650 km left and 2 weeks before a long trip I would try to get a service appointment on priority and the service done before a long trip.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 11:35   #679
BHPian

Thanks Sandeep.
This trip was a last minute plan and I was busy in Office and could not give it for service.
Anyways, I will check with the Service people in the showroom.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:58   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Why don't you ask the A.S.S.? I am sure they will tell you the if it is ok.

In any case with just 650 km left and 2 weeks before a long trip I would try to get a service appointment on priority and the service done before a long trip.
Checked with the service guys and SA dealership and they told me that its Ok to run thecar can run upto initial 12000 Kms if only Oil change is required. If the iDrive shows up any other component attention other than Oil change, it is mandatory to get it serviced ASAP.
My idrive shows only oil change is required. So planning to give the car for service this week.

Any idea on how much would the cost be for the first service with oil change required? I do not have the BSI yet
Old 7th January 2015, 16:22   #681
BHPian

Completed my first service last week. Bill was 17K with engine oil change and some AC filter change. Got a complimentary car wash and scratch removal with teflon coating done. Service was completed in 3 hours.
The service guy advised me to maintain ideal tyre pressure so that the tyres with correct pressure usually runs 45-50K kilometers without the need to change.
Also advised me to take the BSI only if you run more Kms [around 20k per year]

After the service, car is much more aggressive with more seamless pick up.
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:39   #682
BHPian

Hi Guys, Have small query. I have a 2013 BMW 3 series which is baseline model. Can I have the idrive navigation activated in my car through the showroom ?
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:28   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Hi Guys, Have small query. I have a 2013 BMW 3 series which is baseline model. Can I have the idrive navigation activated in my car through the showroom ?
Why would you want the iDrive navigation? Usually most cars navigation systems are outdated and difficult or expensive to update. Just buy a separate navigator or buy a large screen sized smartphone and use Google Maps with a windshield mount or something.

Maybe they would be able to retrofit navigation, but it would be a big (and very expensive) retrofit - iDrive screen (then dash as well), entire iDrive computer module, re-coding, entire instrument cluster (the indication also comes on the instrument cluster) etc. All these german fellows are very expensive when it comes to add-on genuine / dealer based accessories.

I don't think any of these fellows have traffic, etc. updates also which Google does for most major cities in India.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 22nd January 2015 at 11:30.
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:46   #684
BHPian

Thanks Sandeep. I did not take into account the cost factor.
Sure the Google maps is better than any of the navigation offered by the car manufactures.
Old 22nd January 2015, 19:38   #685
BHPian

Fyi, currently the 328i has been dis-continued until the face lift gets launched !
Old 28th January 2015, 08:09   #686

Buy 320d now or wait for facelift

The confusion is killing me.

I test drove a 320d last week. What a brilliant car!. I would have really loved to TD a 328i but BMW has stopped producing those for India.

To my question:

Post excise duty hike, the 320d is being quoted at almost 51L OTR in Bangalore. Interestingly this is the same price as the brand new W205 - which has Heads-Up Display (nice posh feature to have) & Navigation (sorely missing in the 320d). I explicitly compare the W205 because the wife says the 320d ride was harsh in the back seat and she wants me to TD the W205 :(

Now many websites claim a facelift/LCI for the F30 will be announced in March in the Geneva motor show. If this were to happen, how soon would a facelifted F30 come to India? I am hoping that the facelift includes HUD & Navigation for the 320d making it a very compelling buy.

Would you fine gentlemen buy the 320d now (after negotiating hard) or wait for LCI?
Old 28th January 2015, 18:14   #687
Senior - BHPian

I read somewhere that the LCI includes new petrol engines (and probably somewhat upgraded gearboxes) but not much for the diesel. The LCI will mostly be otherwise somewhat cosmetic (LED tail lights, some interior changes) and also BMW will 'fix' several stuff that usually goes wrong with the first models.

It is really the petrol engines which will be very interesting. The existing 328i N20 engine is already being phased out (in spite of being still a very great engine - engine of the year for about 3 years) in favour of the new B series modular engines. The N20 will remain in a detuned state in the 320i at about 190 bhp. BMW may even put in a lower 3 cylinder B series engine and rebadge it 318i.

The 328i and the 335i will be discontinued permanently. In its place will be the 330i and 340i putting out about 15% more BHP and torque (than the 328i and 335i) from new B series 4 and 6 cylinder engines which will be as fuel efficient as the previous N20 and N55 engines in the 328 and 335. These models also will likely see price hikes of about 5% in $ or Euro terms.

It remains to be seen what BMW does for the Indian market. If they try and bring in a top end 330i, then the price would be even more stratospheric as compared to the 328i which was anyway priced almost as much as a 520d and which therefore only saw a few enthusiasts as takers - it is really a great drivers' car - as per Karan and T-BHPs reviews - it goes like crazy in sports mode. And it has some options not even seen on the 520d.

My guess is that the LCI models will hit the Indian market only by August September 2015, in time for the financial depreciation lollipop to tempt buyers.
Old 28th January 2015, 19:30   #688
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buy 320d now or wait for facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
The confusion is killing me.

I test drove a 320d last week. What a brilliant car!. I would have really loved to TD a 328i but BMW has stopped producing those for India.

To my question:

Post excise duty hike, the 320d is being quoted at almost 51L OTR in Bangalore. Interestingly this is the same price as the brand new W205 - which has Heads-Up Display (nice posh feature to have) & Navigation (sorely missing in the 320d). I explicitly compare the W205 because the wife says the 320d ride was harsh in the back seat and she wants me to TD the W205 :(

Now many websites claim a facelift/LCI for the F30 will be announced in March in the Geneva motor show. If this were to happen, how soon would a facelifted F30 come to India? I am hoping that the facelift includes HUD & Navigation for the 320d making it a very compelling buy.

Would you fine gentlemen buy the 320d now (after negotiating hard) or wait for LCI?
It's a pity the 328 is stopped. Forget the OTR price, you will easily get a large discount on the car. Better yet ask for a 2014 car and get an even bigger discount. I'd say 4-5l would be easily possible.

The C class doesn't have the HUD in India, it least as far as I know. Though it is well loaded compared to the 3, but after discounts the price difference will be a fair amount too.

The 3 LCI I would say would come 3rd quarter of this year. The diesel engine will be replaced to the B47 which is slightly more powerful and much more refined. Its already there in the X3 LCI so you can check it out. Honestly I hope they load up the LCI with lots of features, but you never know with the way BMW is going now. I have a feeling they will launch a 318 or 316d too.
Old 28th January 2015, 20:19   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The 328i and the 335i will be discontinued permanently. In its place will be the 330i and 340i putting out about 15% more BHP and torque (than the 328i and 335i) from new B series 4 and 6 cylinder engines which will be as fuel efficient as the previous N20 and N55 engines in the 328 and 335. These models also will likely see price hikes of about 5% in $ or Euro terms.

My guess is that the LCI models will hit the Indian market only by August September 2015, in time for the financial depreciation lollipop to tempt buyers.
Shame about the 328i discontinuing. When you say the 330i will replace the 328i do you mean in India? The BMW staff gave the impression that they were going all diesel in India.

Can't wait till August! Urge to buy now is strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The C class doesn't have the HUD in India, it least as far as I know. Though it is well loaded compared to the 3, but after discounts the price difference will be a fair amount too.
You are right, I checked the brochure on the MB site. They dont have HUD on the W205. They do have "Agility Control" suspension - claims to dynamically adjust suspension. I wonder what exactly does that mean. They ofcourse have navigation, reverse camera, LED lights throughout which the 320d misses. All of which I can live without especially if the 320d comes at a meaningful discount to the W205. I am actually hoping that the TD for W205 does not impress the wife too much
Old 29th January 2015, 11:15   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saju View Post
The BMW staff gave the impression that they were going all diesel in India.

You are right, I checked the brochure on the MB site. They dont have HUD on the W205. They do have "Agility Control" suspension - claims to dynamically adjust suspension. I wonder what exactly does that mean. They ofcourse have navigation, reverse camera, LED lights throughout which the 320d misses. All of which I can live without especially if the 320d comes at a meaningful discount to the W205. I am actually hoping that the TD for W205 does not impress the wife too much
Please don't rely on sales staff impressions!! I don't think BMW can ignore the petrol market and go all diesel. At present none of the other 2 germans have done it either, you still get a petrol Q5/Q3. Add to that the falling price of petrol and you certainly have a good market for modern turbo petrol engines.

Yes AFAIK, the 330i will replace the 328i in all markets including India, if they so choose. No matter the goodies, ultimately what I found when doing TDs is that the BMWs are nimble, seem to turn on a dime have oodles of power and great gearboxes as compared to even the new C, forget the A4 and in my view though BMW have still watered stuff down a bit (for the 3 and the 5), both are still great drivers. The agility suspension is similar to BMWs DHP (not offered in India on the 3 series) and tightens the suspension according to your choice or automatically based on road conditions. It is of little practical use in our road conditions, you have to leave it on comfort mostly! So BMW have chosen not to offer DHP at all, they give what they call a 'rough road' suspension on all 3 series for India.

Your choice all depends on your priorities though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks