Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 22:43   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

I have a recurring problem in my 2016 BMW 320d M Sport.

About 6 months into the car ownership, i started getting 'Headlight failure' or 'High beam left side failure' messages on my idrive and instrument cluster but the headlights were working properly. However, sometimes the headlights along with the radio and air con would switch off for a few seconds and come back on. The side turn signals sometimes used to blink fast. The car was sent to Infinity Turbhe and about 4 days later the car was given back. The problem was a pinched battery wire.

A few weeks later the problem came back. This time I got the error message only once and then no message for next couple of months. One fine day my luck ran out and the messages started popping up again. All the symptoms listed above were back. Since I spend about 15-20 days/month in Pune the car was taken to Bavaira BMW. This time they found a twisted cable wire of some controller. This was straightened and cable tied. Car was back and worked well for about 15 days.

Yesterday, the error messages and symptoms are back. This time the messages keep popping every minute or so. This is the most frequent popping of messages I have experienced since the problem started.

Both the dealers says that all the modules of the car are working perfectly fine.

This is the third time the car will have to be sent for the same problem and it's bugging me out now. I have to say that both Infinity and Bavaria were helpful and seems like they really want to help out and solve the issue but clearly they are not able to diagnose the problem.

Any suggestions or pointers?
amit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 01:25   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
I am looking to swap the Run-flat tyres of my 320d with Tubeless tyres - Pirelli P7 / Yokohama Advan Sport / Continental ContiSportContact. I still haven't decided yet as tyre dealers want to know the OEM tyre brand to negotiate a swap. The sales guy tells me that BMW 320ds can come with Michelin / Bridgestone / Continental depending on production batches. Anyone got any info on this?Thanks,Paul
In my past two years experience with BMWs (visiting show room / work-shop) I have seen 320ds coming with Bridgestone (potenza / turanza) only. 320d upwards (from 3GT) they provide contis & Pirellis.

For swaping your tires suggest import them from Tirerack USA. It will be cheaper. Check out Karan's thread on his 328i:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...k-com-usa.html

Cheers
Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
Does it affect the warranty when you swap from Run-flats to Tubeless?ThanksPaul
Hi Paul

Replying to your old query (just found an old email).
6-7 months prior my purchase, towards Dec 2014, I enquired about swapping RFTs with tube-less tires. And below is the reply from BMW India.
I am quite happy with my Conti SC5 SSR on my GT.

What is the main reason of swapping tires? Is the BMW dealer well known to you?

Cheers
Sail
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-reply.png  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2017 at 07:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged as requested.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 07:31   #1398
Team-BHP Support

Does BMW A.S.S. do wheel alignment and balancing on their own during service or are we required to specifically ask for this or do it from outside?
Old 12th June 2017, 14:20   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

About 6 months into the car ownership, i started getting 'Headlight failure' or 'High beam left side failure' messages on my idrive and instrument cluster but the headlights were working properly.
The car has been given to Infinity Turbhe. This time the scan reports showed faults with ZGM & FEM modules. Let us see if change of modules will solve the issue. Fingers crossed!

The question still remains though. Why the car is throwing up the same fault and every time a different reason is causing it?

Last edited by amit : 12th June 2017 at 14:22.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 00:03   #1400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The question still remains though. Why the car is throwing up the same fault and every time a different reason is causing it?
Its not. There was probably a faulty diagnosis done on the issue, which made them come up with different reasons.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 10:51   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a few video's of the fault/error messages that I see on the car's system.

In the video below you can see that the idrive screen has gone blank and the air con can't be switched on when the lighting system failure message is flashing on the instrument cluster.

amit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 22:50   #1402
BHPian

Hi,

I recently bought a BMW 320d Prestige and have clocked around 2700 kms. Would appreciate if I can get some answers to the following questions from this forum:

* Is it possible to reset the kmpl reading in the instrument cluster like the odometer reading after every tankful? I know there is a reset option in the display unit but what if one needs 2 trip computers?

* How do we get Google Maps audio through the car speakers when playing FM? It works through blue tooth (through Android phone) but not while playing FM radio. I know of an app called Audio BT but it's dosn't work always.

* Have any of you fixed mud flaps for 320d? Any suggestions?

* Is there a way to adjust the headlight angle in low beam? On a highway, visibility is not sufficient unless I put it in high beam. Or does high beam in our car adjust automatically based on oncoming traffic to avoid glare?

* Has anyone put an extra leather seat cover on top of the beige seats without compromising on the fit? I want to go for a saddle brown kind of colour. Marvin guys are saying they will have to remove the seats completely and install new seats to get a good fit.

Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2017 at 07:28. Reason: Typo fixed
Old 21st June 2017, 00:50   #1403
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride!
Can you please tell the onroad price paid in Bangalore. Did you get any discounts in light of GST coming to effect?
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:54   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Hi,

* Is it possible to reset the kmpl reading in the instrument cluster like the odometer reading after every tankful? I know there is a reset option in the display unit but what if one needs 2 trip computers?
You select the kmpl using the stalk. Keep it pressed for few seconds, the numbers get reset. Same goes for the average speed. For resetting of the trip kilo meter in the dashboard, press a a button located in the left lower corner of the dashboard. Other than this, you can also set the idrive, for the trip computer, which operates separately than the dashboard.
Fstlndrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 17:47   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

* Have any of you fixed mud flaps for 320d? Any suggestions?

* Has anyone put an extra leather seat cover on top of the beige seats without compromising on the fit? I want to go for a saddle brown kind of colour. Marvin guys are saying they will have to remove the seats completely and install new seats to get a good fit.

Thanks

Congrats. Wish you safe miles ahead.

Mud FLAPs are available with BMW accessories, which will give you perfect fit and designed with body contour. Set of four will set you back by approx. 10K. I have fitted to my 3GT (F34). No issues at all. If you ask me, aesthetically they don’t look nice. Specially with your white car & black mud flaps. However in long run, flaps will save your skirts to become yellowish.

Not sure for prestige model, but if your front seats are having curtain airbag (attached picture), then you should avoid fitting extra leather covers, which will hamper functioning of the airbags or damage them while installation.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-mud-flaps.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Sail : 21st June 2017 at 17:50.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 23:36   #1406
BHPian

Before purchasing my 320i, every time I browsed all these threads, I always looked for two things: a) what is the service and maintenance charges? and b) How bad is the petrol car mileage?

After driving nearly one year, I am very happy that I bought a petrol one. The car completed 8,500 kms and one year service was due (based on the computer). Hence, I gave the car for first servicing and got it. Although I could not make any difference before and after the service, I found the car drives great, as usual.
a) The cost of the first service was just over Rs. 10,000. The work done was oil and filter change (as per the computer). No problems faced except I needed passenger side headlight changed under warranty due to the water condensation during the last rainy season. Otherwise, I had no problems.
b) I am very happy about the mileage also; not bad for a petrol. City drive: 8-10 kmpl, depending on the traffic. Recently I took the car for a long drive to Lucknow from Delhi via the new expressway. I used the Sport mode for the whole journey (the speed was around 100 kmph) and the mileage was 12.5 kmpl.

So my conclusion is that BSI package may not be necessary if your running is low. As other experts have suggested, I also have taken extended warranty.

Overall I am happy with the performance of the car.

Last edited by Fstlndrive : 21st June 2017 at 23:38.
Fstlndrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:57   #1407
BHPian

Quote:
* How do we get Google Maps audio through the car speakers when playing FM? It works through blue tooth (through Android phone) but not while playing FM radio. I know of an app called Audio BT but it's dosn't work always.
Try this:
Open google maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Check the setting 'Play as bluetooth phone call'
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:34   #1408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Before purchasing my 320i, every time I browsed all these threads, I always looked for two things: a) what is the service and maintenance charges? and b) How bad is the petrol car mileage?
Good to see that you are enjoying your drive! In Bangalore city with an average speed between 14-15 kmph, during my last tankful check I only got 10.2 kmpl on my 320d in Comfort mode. In Delhi I am sure the average city drive speed would be 20+ kmph.

During a recent drive from Kerala/CBE to BLR I got 17.2 kmpl across 787 kms of which around 75% was on highway using comfort mode with coasting and occasional sport mode . I think average kmph was around 48.

Since we have iDrive showing kmph and kmpl we should ideally track both to get a realistic idea of mileage.

Anyone, in Bangalore have better experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Try this:
Open google maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Check the setting 'Play as bluetooth phone call'
Hi Nicky, I have already done this. I actually want to know how do we get Google Maps voice commands through the car speakers when playing FM radio. No issues while playing Blue tooth music from Android phone.

Thanks.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 8th July 2017 at 22:13. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 17:40   #1409
EP.
BHPian

Hello BHpians! Took delivery of my Melbourne Red 320d Sportline on Friday. Had a great experience with Platino Classic and their staff at both their showrooms in Kochi and Kozhikode. Big thanks to Praveen, Robin, Vineeth and everyone else at the dealership.

Narrative with pictures:

1. Saw the car first time with their protective stickers on, I was not 100% sure of the exterior color, but I'm loving it now! Went baller spec with interiors

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw_1.jpeg
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_007.jpeg
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_002.jpeg

2. The car being prepared for delivery at Kochi. The staff at Platino Classic gave me the keys, a bouquet of white roses, an excellent chocolate cake and a box of homemade chocolates plus an M-Accessories calendar.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-bmw_3.jpeg
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_006.jpeg

3. Drove right to the tyre shop (Tyre Mall) after delivery to swaps Bridgestone RFTs with Continental ContiSportContact 5 tubeless tyres - excellent characteristics for wet weather conditions (Same as factory spec: 225/50 R17)

The difference after swapping the RFTs were massive! Just love the ride quality now with the Continentals and the cabin is quieter.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_0021.jpeg
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_004.jpeg
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_005.jpeg

4. Next stop: Wayanad - a 300km drive home right after delivery, reached home safe and comfortably at 3.30am

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_008.jpeg

5. Had to take the car to Platino Classic Kozhikode a day after delivery from Kochi due to a faulty tyre pressure valve. Apparently the guys who changed the tyres were a bit careless. The service advisor cleaned the valve and all back to normal.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-file_001.jpeg

Hope to cover more Kilometers in JOY!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2017 at 11:39. Reason: Bokeh > bouquet.
EP. is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th June 2017, 18:16   #1410
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! And the best decision was the change to tubeless. Now the ride is pretty good I must say, and it doesn't impact the handling one bit. My 320d is the same colour too. Have you noticed the red in the lci looks different from the pre lci cars? Every enthusiast who has seen my car asks if it is a different red.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks