Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 11:20   #1951
anb
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Guys,
Incidentally my key battery is also low, the duplicate key battery is dead. It’s a f30 320d.
Can I replace both with CR 2450 (Panasonic or Kodak) from Amazon and fix it myself?

Thanks,
Chetan
Yes I have replaced the key battery with CR 2450 battery I bought from Amazon on two occasions

Last edited by anb : 17th November 2019 at 11:26.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 19:38   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Guys,
Incidentally my key battery is also low, the duplicate key battery is dead. It’s a f30 320d.
Can I replace both with CR 2450 (Panasonic or Kodak) from Amazon and fix it myself?

Thanks,
Chetan
Yes you can. I also got the Panasonic one. Has been months and it's been working perfectly.

I followed this guide...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd January 2020 at 11:13. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
rahul_jo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 17:32   #1953
BHPian

I got my 320d battery replaced with Varta AGM silver diamond battery (95Ah).

The battery was bought and fixed at Swastik Fabs, Kanakapura Road.

Mr.Vijay was very helpful and his team did a good job!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd January 2020 at 11:14. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 26th December 2019, 22:01   #1954
BHPian

Cigarette lighter or USB port:

Hi, do any of you know whether any of the above ports remain always powered on even after switching off the car? All the 3 cigarette lighter sockets turn off after about 10 min.

I want to connect a wifi camera which has a built in battery that needs constant charging (only 30 min backup). I want to use that as a rear camera (usb based) connected to my Android tablet. If it losses power overnight, I need to press the power button on the camera in the morning which is not practical. Hence, this question.
Old 3rd January 2020, 10:00   #1955
BHPian

Guys,
I am looking to upgrade the brakes of my 2017 BMW 320i as i am not happy with the stock brake performance. Any suggestions on what i should go for and where to get the parts from? I am just looking to replace the rotors and brake pads and not looking to get a big brake kit (they're extremely expensive). Before purchasing the car, i heard huge praise on the brakes of the F30 but my personal experience suggests otherwise. I've had BMW take a look into the braking system of my car and according to them, nothing is faulty so the only option remaining is an upgrade.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:13   #1956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Guys,
I am looking to upgrade the brakes of my 2017 BMW 320i as i am not happy with the stock brake performance. Any suggestions on what i should go for and where to get the parts from? I am just looking to replace the rotors and brake pads and not looking to get a big brake kit (they're extremely expensive). Before purchasing the car, i heard huge praise on the brakes of the F30 but my personal experience suggests otherwise. I've had BMW take a look into the braking system of my car and according to them, nothing is faulty so the only option remaining is an upgrade.
EBC slotted rotors and EBC YellowStuff brake pads seem to be a popular upgrade for most cars these days. They are slightly pricier than OEM and Brembo upgrades, but worth the money.

Any reputed tuning house will be able to hook you up with these upgrades. Do consider.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:27   #1957
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,
When you say you are not happy with the performance, can you elaborate in what conditions? What tyres are you running?
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:31   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
When you say you are not happy with the performance, can you elaborate in what conditions? What tyres are you running?
I am used to the initial bite of the Audi Q5 3.0 TDI the other car in our garage, compared to it there's a substantial difference in bite and also after a session of spirited driving there's brake fade. I'm currently running fairly new (3000 kms driven) Pirelli Cinturato P7 R17 RFTs with 32 psi all across.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:46   #1959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am used to the initial bite of the Audi Q5 3.0 TDI the other car in our garage, compared to it there's a substantial difference in bite and also after a session of spirited driving there's brake fade. I'm currently running fairly new (3000 kms driven) Pirelli Cinturato P7 R17 RFTs with 32 psi all across.

So to be honest, I have noticed VAG cars have better initital pedal bite than the BMWs. The fade after pushing a fair bit is normal, that being said I only experience fade after doing silly speeds. Another place to look is the tyres, the P7 are regular comfort/economy oriented tyres, and changing to a better set will definitely help.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:57   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
So to be honest, I have noticed VAG cars have better initital pedal bite than the BMWs. The fade after pushing a fair bit is normal, that being said I only experience fade after doing silly speeds. Another place to look is the tyres, the P7 are regular comfort/economy oriented tyres, and changing to a better set will definitely help.
As the tires are fairly new i won't be changing them anytime soon but whenever i do change them, i will definitely go for something that's performance oriented. Should i try and install stainless steel brake lines before going in for a EBC brake kit to check if it even is required? I've heard that stainless steel brake lines improve feel and bite, is it actually noticable or just marginal?
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:14   #1961
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As the tires are fairly new i won't be changing them anytime soon but whenever i do change them, i will definitely go for something that's performance oriented. Should i try and install stainless steel brake lines before going in for a EBC brake kit to check if it even is required? I've heard that stainless steel brake lines improve feel and bite, is it actually noticable or just marginal?

In this case I doubt it will make a substantial difference. What I would suggest is first just going in for more performance oriented pads, like EBC Yellows or equivalent.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:51   #1962
BHPian

Guys I need some help. I'm having a very difficult time with the dealer BMW EVM Autokraft Kochi. Our 3 year old X1 has already visited the service centre 9 times for solving minor issues but until now none of those has been sorted and they always create a new trouble in the process. I will be putting up a detailed thread if things aren't going well this time as the car is still at the dealership for solving issues with memory function of mirrors.

One among the issues is a missing service record. After the 2nd service in November 2018 the car threw up a low oil warning in May 2019. Later inspection using electronic dipstick as well as the real dipstick revealed it was a false warning. It's only then I found out that there's no record of November 2018 oil change on the i drive. Since my patience and expectations about BMW service ran out an year back I decided to highlight this for the 3rd service. Now after the 3rd service in December 2019 they are saying they can't update the idrive with data of 2nd service (November 2018) as it's time dependent and it was an error on their part. They have screwed up almost each & everything I have asked them to do & I have serious doubts now whether they really performed an oil change in November 2018.

I had mailed BMW India about the entire experience(multiple issues) & they promised a positive outcome but I'm yet to see any. EVM also seem to be clueless on many things about BMW cars that a simple Google search itself would reveal. If they had performed an oil change in November 2018 then they should be able to update the data from BMW servers to idrive without a glitch isn't it? I had paid for the oil change and have the invoice too but whether it was indeed carried out or not is a question mark seeing their reluctance to update the data.

About everything else I will have to create a seperate thread (9 visits & counting in 3 years). What should I ask them to do with the missing service record? Usually when you buy a car it's the responsibility of the service centre to find solutions but here these guys fail even if it's the other way around. Minor issues with the car but pathetic service support!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20190506_190043_20200103124125160.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20200102_084213_20200103124147695.jpg  

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 3rd January 2020 at 12:57.
Old 3rd January 2020, 17:20   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I am looking to upgrade the brakes of my 2017 BMW 320i as i am not happy with the stock brake performance. Any suggestions on what i should go for and where to get the parts from?
You've been given some solid advice by Suhaas and Akshay. I'm running EBC yellow stuff on my F30 328i and the braking is better than stock, with a little less dust than the OEM pads too. The bite isn't as strong as in VAG cars though, I will admit.

I'll be due to change my rotors and pads in about 6-7 months, and I'm considering slotted rotors to go with a fresh set of EBC yellow stuff. The braided steel lines would be nice, but won't improve braking performance much on its own, just add some feel as far as I know. Better, performance oriented tires will make a big difference to braking performance, although I get that that's off the table.

Just get larger, plain/slotted rotors to go with a set of EBCs or so and you'll be sorted.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:40   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
You've been given some solid advice by Suhaas and Akshay. I'm running EBC yellow stuff on my F30 328i and the braking is better than stock, with a little less dust than the OEM pads too. The bite isn't as strong as in VAG cars though, I will admit.
Thanks! I will be going for the slotted ebc rotors with yellowstuff pads. Could you tell me How many kms did your rotors last just so than can estimate their life in general?

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by dealer : 3rd January 2020 at 18:49. Reason: Wrongly Quoted
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:52   #1965
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
I am looking to upgrade the brakes of my 2017 BMW 320i as i am not happy with the stock brake performance.
I am really surprised by this. I am very happy with the brakes on my 2017 320d. Is there any chance brakes on the 320i are different than on the 320d?

Once while driving from Chennai to Bangalore, a cow suddenly jumped in front of me when I was driving at about 100km/h on that road. I had to apply sudden brakes and the car stopped very quickly, safely without any drama or any unwanted behavior, and I stopped safely before the cow without issues. I immediately told my wife sitting next to me that this would have been a sure hit in most other cars. I thanked the brakes of the 320d for such safe stop. In general, even on some other occasions the brakes have impressed me quite a lot. It maybe that the initial bite "feels" less, but once you firmly apply the brakes, the car stops very quickly and smoothly. The initial bite is more of a "perception" issue rather than any real braking issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The bite isn't as strong as in VAG cars though, I will admit.
I am not sure about most VAG cars, but I have driven Jetta TDI and the brakes on that were definitely inferior to the ones on the 320d.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 3rd January 2020 at 19:05.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks