Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 19:35   #1966
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am really surprised by this. I am very happy with the brakes on my 2017 320d. Is there any chance brakes on the 320i are different than on the 320d? It maybe that the initial bite "feels" less, but once you firmly apply the brakes, the car stops very quickly and smoothly. The initial bite is more of a "perception" issue rather than any real braking issue.
Both the 320i and 320d have the same brakes. I've had a similar incident and the BMW did not disappoint, i agree the car feels solid under heavy braking. I'm just looking for good initial bite when braking.
Old 4th January 2020, 12:15   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Thanks! I will be going for the slotted ebc rotors with yellowstuff pads. Could you tell me How many kms did your rotors last just so than can estimate their life in general?
I'm still on the stock ones, about to bring up 35k Kms. Let us know the price you got on the slotted rotors, will be good info for us to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I am not sure about most VAG cars, but I have driven Jetta TDI and the brakes on that were definitely inferior to the ones on the 320d.
Yes, I'd agree with that. It's just that they provide greater feel higher up in the pedal, but stopping power on the BMWs is certainly better. I had to adjust slightly to the fact that initial bite wasn't as strong when I switched from the Jetta to the 3. I reckon braided steel lines and fresh brake fluid would change that.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 4th January 2020 at 12:19.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 19:15   #1968
BHPian

Hi All!
I just got myself a 2017 3-series Prestige (F30 LCI), a much much due upgrade from my Civic with which I did 1.75 Lac comfortable kilometres. The car is in mint condition with 40k kms on the odo and only the rear brake pad replacement is due in 2000 kms. A friend who owns 3 series got these replaced with those from a brand ‘Xerox’. I test drove his car and the bite from brakes was brilliant. The cost was paltry 3000/- for rear set! Is this recommended? My car is not under BSI so does doing so make sense!
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 19:28   #1969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Hi All!
I just got myself a 2017 3-series Prestige (F30 LCI), a much much due upgrade from my Civic with which I did 1.75 Lac comfortable kilometres. The car is in mint condition with 40k kms on the odo and only the rear brake pad replacement is due in 2000 kms. A friend who owns 3 series got these replaced with those from a brand ‘Xerox’. I test drove his car and the bite from brakes was brilliant. The cost was paltry 3000/- for rear set! Is this recommended? My car is not under BSI so does doing so make sense!
I recently got all 4 of the pads changed for my 320D.

I got Textar Brake pads as they are supposed to be OEM. They actually came with the sensor in the pack which was convienient. Cost was about 4k if I remember correctly. PM me if you need details.
AbhiJ is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 15:08   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All!
Congrats on the new ride!

In my opinion, brakes are one of the things you should absolutely not cheap out on. Get a quality set of aftermarket pads; StopTech, EBC, Pagid, etc. I've never heard of these guys, and I'm sure they're a cheap fascimile of some sort. Don't. Cheap. out.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:42   #1971
BHPian

Quote:
A friend who owns 3 series got these replaced with those from a brand ‘Xerox’. I test drove his car and the bite from brakes was brilliant. The cost was paltry 3000/- for rear set! Is this recommended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
In my opinion, brakes are one of the things you should absolutely not cheap out on.

Agree with the above. If you cheap out on, say, engine oil, the worst that can happen is a busted engine (and expensive repairs). However, brakes are so critical it can make the difference between life and death (both for you and others on the road), especially considering the power on tap.

If you're technically inclined here's a video examining the qualities of brakes at different price points:

(According to these video, initial bite can be be misleading).

Congrats on the car!
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 13:18   #1972
BHPian

A bit OT but recently on my drive from Bombay to Bangalore I had a side wall tear near Belgaum, managed to slowly drive to Bangalore (after multiple calls with RSA and my SA) and have sent the car in for a tyre and rim replacement claim under BMW Secure.

BMW's insurance partner is committing to only 75% of the cost, but as per my understanding all alloy and wheels are covered 100% for the 1st year. What do you guys think i should do?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-135cf2ff9c8745b6ad928406690b3031.jpg  

shovan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 23:20   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovan View Post
A bit OT but recently on my drive from Bombay to Bangalore I had a side wall tear near Belgaum
What caused the tear? Tyre Size? Make & Model?

Quote:
BMW's insurance partner is committing to only 75% of the cost, but as per my understanding all alloy and wheels are covered 100% for the 1st year. What do you guys think i should do?
It would be 80% as per BMW Secure policy wordings. You will have to pay 20% alloy wheel cost + Rs. 2,000.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-secure-alloy.jpg

Attached Secure Policy PDF for further reference.

BMW_Secure_Wordings.pdf
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 00:09   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit OT but recently on my drive from Bombay to Bangalore I had a side wall tear near Belgaum, managed to slowly drive to Bangalore (after multiple calls with RSA and my SA) and have sent the car in for a tyre and rim replacement claim under BMW Secure.
This looks really scary - were you not carrying the spacesaver ? Isnt it a better idea in situations like this to replace the alloy with the spacesaver and then continue ?
Old 17th January 2020, 11:45   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
What caused the tear? Tyre Size? Make & Model?
Could have been a sidewall bulge which got torn, I didn't even notice it till a petrol pump attendant pointed it out to me. Nothing came up on iDrive.
Tyre is a 255/50/R19 Goodyear Eagle (X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
It would be 80% as per BMW Secure policy wordings. You will have to pay 20% alloy wheel cost + Rs. 2,000.

Attachment 1957805

Attached Secure Policy PDF for further reference.

Attachment 1957804
Thanks, any idea on their wordings on less than a year? The car is just 9 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
This looks really scary - were you not carrying the spacesaver ? Isnt it a better idea in situations like this to replace the alloy with the spacesaver and then continue ?
I was carrying the space saver but RSA informed me that you can only travel 100kms at a speed of 80 on that so i was told to carry on till there was a drop in pressure on iDrive and then switch to the space saver, but surprisingly nothing came up on the iDrive. The pressure didn't drop a single PSI the 600 odd kms that i drove. Only the outside of the sidewall seems to be cut the inside is still intact.

I was skeptical to carry on but theres not a single tyre shop in Belgaum or Hubli with this tyre in stock.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:28   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Tyres are covered under BMW Secure Advanced which is complimentary forst 1st year. I had side-wall bubble on 2 tyres within 1st year and because RFTs (especially the sizes for 330i) are not easily available in open market, I went to the dealer for replacement and ended up using this Secure Advanced package - because my tyres were worn beyond a certain tread depth, they only covered 50% of the cost, rest I had to pay. Secure Advanced also covers alloys I think, but not sure. Is your allow damaged and needs replacement?
Old 17th January 2020, 15:43   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Tyres are covered under BMW Secure Advanced which is complimentary for 1st year....
Exactly what i thought, and the cars done only 19,xxx kms so the tyres are in pretty good shape as well, but ill get the tread depth checked again.

I did not find any damage to the alloy, but the SA said it might be slightly bent and they need to recheck that. After that they will get the surveyor to come and approve again. Really laid back approach by Navnit Bangalore.
Old 24th January 2020, 18:32   #1978
BHPian

Hey guys,
Can anyone suggest a good place to source ebc or brembo brake pads and rotors in Jaipur? The delivery times of Boodmo are too long and there's no certainty of the duties and fees charged to import parts from ebc uk.
Old 25th January 2020, 20:29   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
Hey guys,
Can anyone suggest a good place to source ebc or brembo brake pads and rotors in Jaipur? The delivery times of Boodmo are too long and there's no certainty of the duties and fees charged to import parts from ebc uk.
I suggest you find a dealer in Delhi or Mumbai and have them ship it to you, it'll be with you far quicker. I'd avoid Brembo, too many fakes floating around. Look for Pagid, Stoptech or EBC.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 08:51   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I suggest you find a dealer in Delhi or Mumbai and have them ship it to you, it'll be with you far quicker. I'd avoid Brembo, too many fakes floating around. Look for Pagid, Stoptech or EBC.
Any recommendations on dealers in Delhi or Mumbai? I looked through the team-bhp directory and couldn't find anything. I've decided on the EBC Drilled and Slotted Rotors with the Yellowstuff brake pads, accompanied with the MG Flasher Stage 1 Tune that im planning to get i should be set to handle the extra power.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks