Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 20:40   #1471
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
After driving BMW 320i for about a year, I recently found a new feature, which I was not aware earlier. When I come to full stop in a red light with the brake pedal pressed, the auto start-stop feature kicks in. I press the "P" mode in the gear shift knob and remove the foot from brake pedal, the car is still off ("Ready" mode). Normally, if I remove the foot from brake pedal, the engine switches on automatically and car starts moving.
Good to know this! However, I am not sure how good it is for the engine & related parts to keep using this feature on a regular basis. Won't the amount of fuel saved be minimal but the wear and tear be more in the long run?

I wish they has set at least a 5 sec gap before this feature kicks in so that one can keep it on even in stop and go traffic.
Kelly66 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 14:23   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Good to know this! However, I am not sure how good it is for the engine & related parts to keep using this feature on a regular basis. Won't the amount of fuel saved be minimal but the wear and tear be more in the long run?

I wish they has set at least a 5 sec gap before this feature kicks in so that one can keep it on even in stop and go traffic.
When a red light is 1 min or more in my previous/other car(s), I always switch off the engine and start when the light turns green. I thought this would save some petrol (?) and the environment.

I also would like to know more about your statement. Experts can comment on this, which will be useful for all of us. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:51   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After driving BMW 320i for about a year, I recently found a new feature, which I was not aware earlier. When I come to full stop in a red light with the brake pedal pressed, the auto start-stop feature kicks in. I press the "P" mode in the gear shift knob and remove the foot from brake pedal, the car is still off ("Ready" mode). Normally, if I remove the foot from brake pedal, the engine switches on automatically and car starts moving.
Are you serious? How did you miss this all this while. I thought this was pre-activated in all cars and annoyingly there is no way to permanently switch it off and one has to do it manually everytime you start the car. There is a dedicated switch for this right above the engine start stop button which you have to press every time to deactivate the feature. In our traffic scenario, one cannot use this feature. First it is a headache in start stop traffic. Second even while standing at the red signal, due to the hot climate the AC needs to work almost all the time and hence it automatically gets off within 30 seconds due to the temperature increase within the car.
Old 5th August 2017, 15:21   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are you serious? How did you miss this all this while. I thought this was pre-activated in all cars and annoyingly there is no way to permanently switch it off and one has to do it manually everytime you start the car. There is a dedicated switch for this right above the engine start stop button which you have to press every time to deactivate the feature.
I know about the auto start-stop feature. The new thing I realized was about pressing "P" in gear shift knob and the engine is still in "Ready" mode with engine off even when I remove the foot from the brake.
Old 5th August 2017, 17:00   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know about the auto start-stop feature. The new thing I realized was about pressing "P" in gear shift knob and the engine is still in "Ready" mode with engine off even when I remove the foot from the brake.
Oh my bad. Yes that is what I do during start stop. If you shift to N, the start stop feature goes off and engine starts. But if you shift to P then it stays on and you can relax your leg.

PS: For a second there, I got excited that finally someone has figured out to permanently disable this start stop annoyance.

BTW since we are on this topic, what additional equipment does the second battery supply apart from being responsible for the auto start stop feature?

Last edited by drmohitg : 5th August 2017 at 17:02.
Old 5th August 2017, 17:28   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: For a second there, I got excited that finally someone has figured out to permanently disable this start stop annoyance.
It can be easily done via coding, Its probably the best thing i have coded in my car, Frankly i don't even remember anyone if i have the start stop system in my car now, Always OFF ! However its activated if you switch the car into Eco pro mode, Which is fine.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 18:44   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
It can be easily done via coding, Its probably the best thing i have coded in my car, Frankly i don't even remember anyone if i have the start stop system in my car now, Always OFF ! However its activated if you switch the car into Eco pro mode, Which is fine.
Can you tell me the process for the same?
Old 5th August 2017, 23:41   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me the process for the same?
Have a look in my thread here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4226468

Google for coding options for your specific car, Mine already had almost everything active by default.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2017, 22:58   #1479
BHPian

Hi
Today I went for a test drive of BMW X1(and to book it before the GST!). This was my first time driving any of the big 3 and my benchmarks are my Ford and a few Honda Cities and Dusters. And ended up test driving 320D!!!
X1 points(Xline variant)
1. The cabin NVH levels were almost like a Ford Fiesta or a city, may be a bit better.
2. Potholes were being felt inside the cabin, but not unsettling like a sedan.
3. Power was quite sufficient, acceleration good, can reach 100 in no time and overtaking no fuss.
4. Cabin quite good and seating positions were actually lower than a Terrano or a Duster, at least for me!
5. Brakes were too strong. If you just touch it, only the seat belt is stopping you from buming into the dash!, at 10-20 km/hr!
After liking it, I casually went for a test dive on a 320d
320D
1. The cabin NVH levels are way better. Felt like a luxury premium thing for the first time!
2. Potholes were being filtered better and no sound coming into the cabin.
3. It was more responsive to overtaking .
4. The brakes didn't have any bite!. In fact I felt that it was not going to stop at all. Had to pres real hard at 30 km/H to test it.
5. The drive position was quite low and the height adjustment has very small range. It was a bit difficult to judge the width of the car.
6. The size change did n;t hamper the drive.

In short I did not book the X1!. My thoughts are
1. If I buy the X1 and use it for 10 years, I may miss the feeling of the luxury which in my mind translates to a noise free cabin and soft ride.
2. 320D and 530D were there and I could not see much difference in the interior space and all.
3. 320D is costlier!
So that damn 320D made me postpone my buying decision! Now me and my SA are trying to figure out what to do. He seemed a nice ,straight forward chap. He is telling me that the NVH difference might be due to the fact that the X1 vehicle is quite old(1 year) and the 320D was brand new! X1 expedition has 17'' alloys and the TD vehicle was xline; this might be a reason..so on and so forth..
Old 13th August 2017, 22:33   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gksunil View Post
4. The brakes didn't have any bite!. In fact I felt that it was not going to stop at all. Had to pres real hard at 30 km/H to test it.
There must be something wrong with the brakes or maybe the pads were worn off. The braking of the 3 series is brilliant. How many kms had the demo car done? I suggest you take another test drive in a different demo car and judge the braking.

As for the X1, while I feel it finally does look like a SUV now, the cost cutting seems evident in the car. It still makes a strong case for itself if you are looking at the entry level German SUV's and I would put my money on the X1 today over the GLA and Q3. Also, on Indian roads, SUV's have an obvious advantage over sedans, specially, low ones like the 3. If it's a entry level SUV you are looking for I would say go for the X1.
Old 13th August 2017, 22:52   #1481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post

This start stop feature is more for emissions than saving fuel. In the EU because emission norms are so strict, keeping the engine off saves emissions. So technically its kind of a cheat. No real use in Indian conditions, better to keep it off rather than have something go bad because of repeated use in our conditions.
Old 13th August 2017, 22:55   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
There must be something wrong with the brakes or maybe the pads were worn off. The braking of the 3 series is brilliant. How many kms had the demo car done? I suggest you take another test drive in a different demo car and judge the braking.

The 3 series I drove was brand new! I am only concerned about the ride and cabin nose.
Old 13th August 2017, 23:21   #1483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Must be to do with Brake assist features, take back the same car again, do a spirited run and then apply brakes, these cars understand when you are braking at a traffic light or when it's an urgency and react differently.

Quote:
The drive position was quite low and the height adjustment has very small range. It was a bit difficult to judge the width of the car.
You will get used to it in a while. If the choice is only between two negotiate for both, give them an advance cheque & take both for an extended one or two-day weekend test drive.

X1 will be a practical choice but if you want a car to enjoy driving, 3 is the one to buy.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2017 at 23:24.
Old 16th August 2017, 19:48   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
About the longevity of the coating, we will see about that.
Hi EP,

Appreciate your valued feedback. How it is ageing ?

Due to my recent shift to Delhi-NCR, now I have access to both Cermaic Pro & Opti-coat ceramic coatings franchise shops. Will seat with them & discuss on application process/product/packages/cost/warranty. You have first hand experience, so requesting your help.

Cheers
Sail.
Old 17th August 2017, 14:12   #1485
EP.
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Hi EP,

Appreciate your valued feedback. How it is ageing ?

Due to my recent shift to Delhi-NCR, now I have access to both Cermaic Pro & Opti-coat ceramic coatings franchise shops. Will seat with them & discuss on application process/product/packages/cost/warranty. You have first hand experience, so requesting your help.

Cheers
Sail.
Hello Sail, my car has done only 3000kms till date. The CeramicPro coating has been a gem. No complaints at all, nothing sticks to the panels. I think, it would be better to do a proper feedback post after a year. Let's see.

Talk to them, and don't forget to mention that you have coating on your car already. (isn't that right?) because they usually remove any coating/wax from the car body before application.

Cheers,
Paul
EP. is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks