Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 14:30   #2221
BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhur_chhabra View Post
is anyone of the F30 320D owners facing timing chain issues with their cars ?
My car is a 2013 registered f30 320d which has run 82,800 kms. My car has a slight timing chain noise and the problem is in its very initial stage as per my advisor. The car can probably do another atleast 5000kms on the current chain but I'm getting it changed this week from authorised as a preventive measure and for peace of mind. The car runs so well it deserves to be kept in top shape.
Old 18th July 2022, 21:25   #2222
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

I am planning to join thr F30 club soon. Hope you can help in shortlisting a good car in Bangalore. Saw 2019 320D luxury line with just under 9k kms, single owner, but quoting price is around 37L, is that the market value?. Checked couple of used car dealers for 320Ds but those were poorly maintained, quoting 35L ��

In this process came across a C300D AMG, 2019 model, 30k kms, single owner, quoting 42L. Fell in love with the interiors but a bit above my budget.

I am planning to keep the car for the next 6 years so looking for cars under 4 years old. Appreciate your inputs in advance.
Old 18th July 2022, 21:33   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
I am planning to join thr F30 club soon. Hope you can help in shortlisting a good car in Bangalore. Saw 2019 320D luxury line with just under 9k kms, single owner, but quoting price is around 37L, is that the market value?. Checked couple of used car dealers for 320Ds but those were poorly maintained, quoting 35L ��

In this process came across a C300D AMG, 2019 model, 30k kms, single owner, quoting 42L. Fell in love with the interiors but a bit above my budget.

I am planning to keep the car for the next 6 years so looking for cars under 4 years old. Appreciate your inputs in advance.
Hey! I don't really know what the used car prices are like in Bangalore but 37L is excessive for a 2019 F30. At or around that price, you should rather pick up a C300d or a G20 3 series which is superior to the F30 in many ways.

Considering that the G20 3 series launched at 42.4L Ex showroom a couple of years ago, you should be to find examples in sub 40L bracket if you look around a bit.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 23:23   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesunnyt View Post
My car is a 2013 registered f30 320d which has run 82,800 kms. My car has a slight timing chain noise and the problem is in its very initial stage as per my advisor. The car can probably do another atleast 5000kms on the current chain but I'm getting it changed this week from authorised as a preventive measure and for peace of mind. The car runs so well it deserves to be kept in top shape.
Do share the cost after the work is done and any difference you felt post change.
Old 24th July 2022, 09:59   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Go with the Bosch, I’m using them on my ride too. Good quality, performance, and longevity, at a fair price.
Hi, I see prices ranging from Rs.1099/- to Rs.2375/- and all are compatible with F30 but slight difference in model number. Would any one of them be ok?
https://boodmo.com/catalog/4193-wind...ries-320d_lci/
Old 24th July 2022, 10:59   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Hi, I see prices ranging from Rs.1099/- to Rs.2375/- and all are compatible with F30 but slight difference in model number. Would any one of them be ok?
I can’t quite see a product name listed (Bosch has the Clear Advantage and Aero Twin. You want the Aero Twin), so I’m as lost as you buddy. Maybe someone else on here can link to the exact ones they bought.

Edit: I got the part numbers for it off Bosch’s site, but I can’t see the part numbers on Boodmo since I haven’t signed in. Here you go.

Driver side: 3 397 006 951
Passenger side: 3 397 006 946

Last edited by iliketurtles : 24th July 2022 at 11:10. Reason: Part numbers found
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 12:45   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I can’t quite see a product name listed (Bosch has the Clear Advantage and Aero Twin. You want the Aero Twin), so I’m as lost as you buddy. Maybe someone else on here can link to the exact ones they bought.

Edit: I got the part numbers for it off Bosch’s site, but I can’t see the part numbers on Boodmo since I haven’t signed in. Here you go.

Driver side: 3 397 006 951
Passenger side: 3 397 006 946
Thanks, I wrote to boodmo and got the following clarification:

"The enquired parts are all of the aftermarket brands, and all three are compatible with your vehicle details, the difference comes in the. seller for the parts

The parts #3397007073 (Rs.1299/-) and #3397118980 (Rs.1099/-) are boodmo fulfilled and they will be dispatched the next day. the date of order and their delivery time will be also the least possible, from our end,

Whereas, part #3397118937 (Rs.2375/-) doesn't come under the boodmo fulfilled category and its ETA (Expected tIme of Arrival) will vary as per the seller,

You can place the order for the required part as per your needs and convenience."

Ordered the Rs.1099/- part today.
Kelly66 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 03:08   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Do share the cost after the work is done and any difference you felt post change.
Around 1,14,000. It was lower than the original estimate of 1.25 to 1.3 lakhs

I did my timing chain, engine mount, steering thrust bush and coolant return hose together and the final bill came to 1,40,700 at BMW Evm Autokraft Kochi.

Labour charges were waived for engine mount (approx 6k), thrust bush (around 10k) and coolant return hose installations.

Engine mount costed around 12k a piece. Steering thrust bush around 2200 and coolant return hose 2700.
Timing chain parts and labour came to roughly 1,14,000. This also includes engine oil and filter, 1 unit of transmission fluid, injector lube amongst the other things.

Earlier there used to be a timing chain rattle sound during cold start for 7 seconds after which it would disappear. When the engine was warm, the mechanics could hear timing chain noise but I couldn't distinguish it from the diesel engine noise. My service advisor also told me that the sound would be greater during cold start.

After the timing chain change, there is no longer a rattle during cold start. When standing outside the car, the engine seems to run a little quieter now, like it's got a little smoother. Coming to how it drives, i had no problems with it earlier and there's no difference here, everything still works as expected. There's a vehicle check after 1000kms
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-pxl_20220720_102059517.jpg
The N47 engine

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-pxl_20220720_102304560.jpg
The mighty zf 8 speed

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-pxl_20220726_06362696401.jpeg
I was so happy when she was handed back over. The work took 7 working days. 5 days for the timing chain and another 2 days because of delays in getting coolant return hose part

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-pxl_20220726_185513063.night010201.jpeg
Took her out at night and she still puts a smile on my face. Need to either soft delete egr and keep dpf or delete both of them to make sure she lives a million years.
georgesunnyt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 09:23   #2229
BHPian

Gave my 2015 F30 some love this month. It had a few very minor dings on the driver door and few scratches on the rear bumper (a bike rider with one hand on steering and other on the phone hit it from behind) so it all started with correcting them. Later decided to redo the alloys as well. Changed the shade from the standard silver or so to Gun Metal Grey (BMW Paint Code B55).

I got this done in Bangalore at Syesha Motors. A little rundown shop but amazing work. It's completely flawless and maybe better than what BMW can do. He uses Glasurit paints and has all the tools to mix the paint correctly. The owner used to work with Toyota Japan paint shop. Highly recommended. Attaching a short video.

vivekshukla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 20:39   #2230
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

I'm in a dilemma with respect to my F30 320d whether I should:

- Stage 1 remap with soft delete EGR and keep DPF (to reduce soot on intake manifold); or
- Leave EGR as it is and walnut blast the engine and clean intake manifold every 1 lakh kms.

Why I'm confused is one tuner told me that it would damage the DPF to soft delete EGR but leave the DPF as is without replacing it with a downpipe without DPF. As per my understanding deleting EGR would reduce soot and reduce the number of DPF regenerations required and increase the life of the DPF. This seems to contradict with the information provided by the tuner.

Another tuner told me it was fine to soft delete EGR and keep the DPF without any problems. My DPF is in good condition and I don't intend to remove it.

Can any subject experts/people who have remapped throw light on this matter please?

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th August 2022 at 21:20. Reason: Editing to improve readability. Capitalising where needed.
Old 12th August 2022, 16:25   #2231
BHPian

Hi,

My F30 320D had covered 45000 kms and it was time for new tyres. The OEM Bridgestone RFTs still had some tread left and were good for another 5000kms, but I wanted to ditch them for Non RFTs. Went for regular tubeless Continental Continental Contisport Contact5. The ride has totally transformed from the rock hard RFTs to gliding over bad roads with minimal shocks and noise.

During last service, the Service advisor at BMW mentioned that a couple of alloys were bent and out of shape. I could feel slight vibrations at high speed.

Before getting new tyres, i got my alloy rims straightened. Read about my Rim straightening and tyre change experience at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...delhi-ncr.html

During wheel alignment when installing new tyres, the tyre shop guy mentioned that the front suspension lower arm bush has a slight play.

Went to BMW Bird Motors Gurgaon. They checked the suspension and found that the bushes were within spec. However, they still went ahead and replaced them. Also notice that one of the front struts was leaking. Both front struts were replaced. All work was done under warranty with no hassles. No fuss about having non rfts.

Since I was time for service, I asked them to do the service. Also, the rear cigarette lighter 12V socket was not working. Found out it was a fuse and changed it (Cost 65 Rupees)

Under service, Oil & Oil Filter, AC Micro Filter, Engine Air Filter, Diesel Fuel Filter were changed. Car was washed.

Everything covered under BSI package.

The rear brake pads are still showing 5000 kms left. So, should be changing them at around 50K kms. The front ones lasted 34K Kms and were changed at an FNG earlier.
When my brother came from USA sometime back, I asked him to carry Textar brake pads. So I have the rear set lying with me.

Overall, experience has been great. But was a bit surprised that the front strut leaked so early. But good that it happened during warranty.

Full marks to BMW and Bird Motors Gurgaon for handling all issues promptly to my satisfaction.

Also, pampered my car with full paint correction (removing swirls, mild scratches etc.) Also, full interior cleaning along with leather seats and door panels. What a transformation it made. Looks brand new inside out. Got it done at 5C car care in Gurgaon. Pricey, but one of the best.

Currently, car is returning 15kmpl in city.

Hope to keep it till it completes 10 years in NCR

rgds

Vineet
VineetG is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:24   #2232
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in search for a used 3 series in Bangalore. Came accross a 2018 Luxury line 320D with BMW preowned. I have not seen the car, however from the pictures shared the car looks in a good shape. The mileage is quite high 79K. Should I consider it?
Old 27th September 2022, 20:04   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Hi All,

I am in search for a used 3 series in Bangalore. Came accross a 2018 Luxury line 320D with BMW preowned. I have not seen the car, however from the pictures shared the car looks in a good shape. The mileage is quite high 79K. Should I consider it?
79,000 KMs is nothing for these engines. These engines can do 2 to 3 lakh kms easily if taken care. Take a look at its service history and get the car inspected by Authorised Bmw service. Keep aside 1.5 lakhs for average annual maintenance.
georgesunnyt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 21:57   #2234
BHPian

Hi,

My 9 month experience with the pre worshipped X1 has been quite adventurous.
Got stranded on highway 3 times, twice due to tire bursts which I had posted in another thread. Now the latest one has something else. This happened last week.

While on the highway for about 6 hrs and having covered about 350kms (with generous gaps), the display pops up a "Drivetrain warning" and says

"Possible to continue journey,
Full performance not available.
Have the problem checked by your service partner."

vehicle stopped. I gave it a rest and restarted and drove slowly for about 1km, after which it again stopped and did not start.

It was close to midnight. I got down and saw droplets of fuel and the whole vehicle smells of diesel. Called the service guys and got the vehicle towed for about 90kms to the nearest workshop, took a cab for the rest of the journey.

Next 2 days, the vehicle got examined and they said the "Fuel restrainer" had gone bad and needed replacement, which would take about a week since the part had to be shipped from Pune.

BMW says, as the vehicle is out of warranty and no apparent physical damage, I have to pay for it. I need to pick up the vehicle tomorrow.

My questions are:

1. Do such cases get covered by insurance?
2. How often such things happen?

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221009-9.25.57-pm.jpeg

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221009-9.26.07-pm.jpeg

Attached images, but could not upload video. The frost like thing on the body is diesel :(

Thanks,
Shiva
Old 10th October 2022, 01:20   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesunnyt View Post
I'm in a dilemma with respect to my F30 320d whether I should:

- Stage 1 remap with soft delete EGR and keep DPF (to reduce soot on intake manifold); or
- Leave EGR as it is and walnut blast the engine and clean intake manifold every 1 lakh kms.

Why I'm confused is one tuner told me that it would damage the DPF to soft delete EGR but leave the DPF as is without replacing it with a downpipe without DPF. As per my understanding deleting EGR would reduce soot and reduce the number of DPF regenerations required and increase the life of the DPF. This seems to contradict with the information provided by the tuner.

Another tuner told me it was fine to soft delete EGR and keep the DPF without any problems. My DPF is in good condition and I don't intend to remove it.

Can any subject experts/people who have remapped throw light on this matter please?
EGR delete leads to less soot being introduced into the cylinders (since no exhaust gases are being re-introduced into them) and better overall health of the engine. DPF is part of the exhaust system which is located further down after the exhaust manifold. I don't understand why you would want to keep the DPF intact if you are already modifying your car this way. Getting rid of the EGR means you are going to cause more pollution anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks