Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 15:40   #2266

Re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Hi, I have an 320d F30 pre LCI and it looks like suspension needs to be changed. Any suggestions for a suspension upgrade? What is the average cost for a full suspension change?

Also can someone suggest a good FNG for 320d in Cochin or Palakkad?
Old 17th June 2023, 19:20   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpkd View Post
Hi, I have an 320d F30 pre LCI and it looks like suspension needs to be changed. Any suggestions for a suspension upgrade? What is the average cost for a full suspension change?
Go for Bilstein B6’s. A set of Four should cost you about ₹90000 or so. I think the OEM shocks are costlier, at least here in Bombay. Have had the B6’s on my car for a few years, fully recommended.
iliketurtles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 23:22   #2268

Chassis number missing in windshield of F30 BMW 320d

Hi All,

Can f30 320d Pre LCI owners please tell me where all the chassis numbers can be seen in the car? The chassis number in the bottom left corner (passenger side) of the front windshield is empty. I have no clue why, bought the car second hand (other state) in March and for some reason I missed checking it or don't remember now.. Now the RTO are afraid to register the car in my place though they have the NOC and the chassis number is there two places under the bonnet. In the right side it is imprinted in one of the bars (from where we take the pencil impression) and left side it is in a small metal plate with engine number.

Any other places I can check and any idea how the chassis number from front windshield can go missing? Or is it that in India the Chassis number is not printed in the windshield? The car still have the original windshield and as per the checks, car never had any accidents. All original paint all over checked with Elcometer.

Apologies for posting this question as a new thread as I didn't get any response in the other thread. Please delete this if it is violating the rules.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th July 2023, 21:49   #2269
BHPian

Re: Chassis number missing in windshield of F30 BMW 320d

Quote:
Hi All,

Can f30 320d Pre LCI owners please tell me where all the chassis numbers can be seen in the car? The chassis number in the bottom left corner (passenger side) of the front windshield is empty. I have no clue why, bought the car second hand (other state) in March and for some reason I missed checking it or don't remember now..
I own a F30 320D 2012 Luxury Line CBU unit. The original windshield wasn't replaced and has the BMW logo on it. It has no chassis number present on it. The owners manual mentions that VIN is under the hood.
Quote:
Any other places I can check and any idea how the chassis number from front windshield can go missing? Or is it that in India the Chassis number is not printed in the windshield?
It's mentioned in the insurance, any previous BMW service records, the previous owner registration certificate. I have to check and get back to you on the drivers side door post.
Ishallownabmw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 23:10   #2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishallownabmw View Post
I own a F30 320D 2012 Luxury Line CBU unit. The original windshield wasn't replaced and has the BMW logo on it. It has no chassis number present on it. The owners manual mentions that VIN is under the hood.
Thanks a lot for checking this. It helps immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishallownabmw View Post
It's mentioned in the insurance, any previous BMW service records, the previous owner registration certificate. I have to check and get back to you on the drivers side door post.
Thanks a lot again, I have it correct in all other records, but as it is missing in the windshield, the RTO is a bit reluctant to register it in my sub RTO.
Old 10th July 2023, 01:10   #2271
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot again, I have it correct in all other records, but as it is missing in the windshield, the RTO is a bit reluctant to register it in my sub RTO.
I am the third owner of the car and I had no problems at the Telangana RTO in Hyderabad registering the car under my wife name (I had used a middleman here who deserves all the credit). I believe in the FNG that maintained my car. FNG owner who believes extensively in statement The "Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH" are notoriously known for their rules under which their cars need to be driven or maintained. Unlike statements like "sealed for life" ZF transmission, the germans are usually very reliable in terms of their user manuals. If they mention VIN is only found under the hood, well unless Sherlock Holmes discovers anything unusual a mere mortal like me can only confirm that's possibly where you will find it. My advice, if you have further trouble with your RTO, present the pdf of the user manual. I mean if the user manual says there's no VIN on windshield, then there isn't. That's as close as you get to BMW giving you anything in writing.
Ishallownabmw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 19:19   #2272
Senior - BHPian

If the car oscillates when parked on a slope in P with the handbrake engaged, does that mean it's resting on the parking pawl with a non-functional handbrake?
Old 2nd August 2023, 23:16   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone had water creeping into the rear right footwell during the monsoons? Ours (2013 320d) has been for the last week and during one trip recently there was an alarming amount of water. Independent mechanic claimed to have fixed it but clearly didn't. Can't find the source. Door seals and sunroof look fine. Could it be a tear in the floorpan?
Old 3rd August 2023, 00:16   #2274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Has anyone had water creeping into the rear right footwell during the monsoons? Ours (2013 320d) has been for the last week and during one trip recently there was an alarming amount of water. Independent mechanic claimed to have fixed it but clearly didn't. Can't find the source. Door seals and sunroof look fine. Could it be a tear in the floorpan?
The vapour barrier on the doors is the issue. It's held in place by a butyl gum IIRC which gets weak and the plastic membrane just comes off, allowing water that has seeped into the window channels through the bottom of the door into the cabin area if I am not wrong.

Get the doorpad removed and the barriers checked. If they have come off, get them attached.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 06:24   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Has anyone had water creeping into the rear right footwell during the monsoons? Ours (2013 320d) has been for the last week and during one trip recently there was an alarming amount of water.
I have the same year car as yours and have run into this issue on all 4 doors now! As already mentioned in the last reply, its the vapor barrier thats come off the seal. Its a styrofoam sort of material which is essentially the door panel insulation. They are known to fail, come off over time. You don't have to replace it, unless there is a tear. It needs to be refixed with an M-seal sort of bond thats already on the door. You can heat it with a heat gun if you like and then apply firm pressure on the vapor barrier to reseal.

I attempted this as a DIY and you can too. Requires 2 hours (An hour for me as I've done the job before) and some patience. Keep some plastic door clips ready or on stand by as I can guarantee they will break off (due to age) when you pull the door card out.

Here's what the vapor barrier looks like. They peel of right where I have marked in blue. When it pours, water makes its way through them and lands on your footwell.
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-img_20230723_111817.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:03   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The vapour barrier on the doors is the issue. It's held in place by a butyl gum IIRC which gets weak and the plastic membrane just comes off, allowing water that has seeped into the window channels through the bottom of the door into the cabin area if I am not wrong.

Get the doorpad removed and the barriers checked. If they have come off, get them attached.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
You don't have to replace it, unless there is a tear. It needs to be refixed with an M-seal sort of bond thats already on the door. You can heat it with a heat gun if you like and then apply firm pressure on the vapor barrier to reseal.
I attempted this as a DIY and you can too.
Attachment 2484980
Thanks very much vishy76 and sandeepmohan. Good to know it is not something more serious and can be fixed as a DIY. Have never taken off a door before so will have to be cautious if I decide to attempt a DIY, but if I can't this will be useful information for our mechanic.
Old 9th September 2023, 00:57   #2277

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
F30s are known to have burnt out tail lamps. I had ordered a repair kit for wiring Part No. 61 132359 993. I don't need it now as I have sold my car. If anyone is interested, I can give it. Please dm if interested. Pick up only in Bangalore
Hi, is the kit still available with you? Just noticed rear left trunk portion of the light is not working on mine.
Old 12th September 2023, 08:17   #2278
BHPian

Hi,

I have used Bimmercode to keep my tail lights always on like the DRL. Is this tail light burn out issue common in all F30s? Will this mod accentuate it further?

Thanks!
Old 12th September 2023, 19:32   #2279

Dear BHPians,

I have been driving a pre-owned 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI DSG for the past 3 years. It is fairly reliable (by German standards!), fun to drive, and has a good ride, handling and performance. After hearing a lot of positive reviews about the F30 and test driving one, I am inclined to buy one. I am eyeing a pre-owned 2013 F30 owned by a friend, which has clocked 75,000 miles and is a Corporate edition (without any bells and whistles!). The car is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, and I am planning to keep it for at least 3 years. I would appreciate your expert opinion.
Old 12th September 2023, 23:30   #2280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motooctane View Post
Dear BHPians,

I have been driving a pre-owned 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI DSG for the past 3 years. It is fairly reliable (by German standards!), fun to drive, and has a good ride, handling and performance. After hearing a lot of positive reviews about the F30 and test driving one, I am inclined to buy one. I am eyeing a pre-owned 2013 F30 owned by a friend, which has clocked 75,000 miles and is a Corporate edition (without any bells and whistles!). The car is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, and I am planning to keep it for at least 3 years. I would appreciate your expert opinion.
I was in a similar situation and nearly bought an F30 but apart from driving dynamics, the upgrade was minimal. Only worth it if you are buying an F30 LCI with the new engine and some bells and whistles. I ended up with an Audi Q3 - lot more equipment, very comfortable if not as tactile.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks