Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 22:38   #2251
BHPian

Re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I have a roughly similar setup with my dashcam, with a control box monitoring power levels and capable of automatically or manually powering it off if voltage drops beyond a point. Hasn’t thrown up any issues till date.
Thanks a lot! Is this also not risky because you would have to fiddle around with the fuse box? I have decided not to touch it. I am ok with the dashcam working only when the car is running.

Wanted to clarify whether it wears out the battery on continuous usage if I use the cigarette lighter socket since it draws around (5V, 3A) continously, albeit while the car is running. I understand the cigarette lighter socket has 15Amps fuse, but are these sockets designed for such long drawn usage. Will they affect the battery life over a period of say 1-2 yrs, is what I want to know.

Of late, I noticed that while the car is running the voltage is hovering around 13.2 to 13.7 V. Until a month ago, it used to 14.5 to 14.8 V. Does this mean the battery is getting weaker? I have a USB car charger connected to the socket.

Quote:
I would strongly advise against messing with the electronics of a German car. If the objective is to get a dashcam, DDPAI, 70mai, and so many other brands sell a dashcam that offers a similar or better solution. If the objective is to get a reverse camera, I get that the OEM or close to OEM solutions are pricey, but I would bite the bullet and go for that. These cars are too finicky, and you never know if it’ll throw up issues down the line. Not worth the gamble.
Actually, I only wanted a rear camera that does not mess around with the wires. So I found this which has the option to permanently keep it in rear view mode like our IRVM.

The dashcam is just a bonus for me. 70mai and others only have hardwiring to reverse lights option. In this, when I turn on the ignition the default rear view comes on and I can turn off the screen and use it like an IRVM (while it still records) or just keep it on.

Quote:
My 2 cents: if you’re doing a reverse camera, get as close to an OEM solution as possible. If it’s a dashcam you’re after, there are better solutions out there at a similar or lesser price point.
It's way too expensive, so dropped that idea.
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:01   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly66 View Post
Thanks a lot! Is this also not risky because you would have to fiddle around with the fuse box? I have decided not to touch it. I am ok with the dashcam working only when the car is running.
No, my setup didn’t fiddle with the fuse box. It offered the option to buy a controller unit to manage power consumption and monitor voltage. It was pricier than other options, but worth it for the peace of mind, in my opinion.

Quote:
Wanted to clarify whether it wears out the battery on continuous usage if I use the cigarette lighter socket since it draws around (5V, 3A) continously, albeit while the car is running. Will they affect the battery life over a period of say 1-2 yrs, is what I want to know.
I’m no expert, so take my view with a pinch of salt. I think using it continuously via the cigarette lighter socket without something to manage the current drawn could be problematic in the medium to long term.

My dashcam setup is connected to the cigarette lighter and has that control unit I mentioned, but still threw up issues when the BMW workshop I gave it to ignored my instructions and turned off the control unit entirely, while leaving the dashcam plugged in to the cigarette lighter. They had the car for about 3 weeks, with the dashcam drawing power in this way.

Soon enough, it threw an error in the workshop, and this persisted for about 3 weeks until after I brought her home.

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-f07f565939184367a805b32aaae722a9.jpeg

I was lucky it didn’t drain the battery too much, and it took regular use (some of it hard driving) to bring it back up to power. But you can imagine my dismay when the car struggled to start up, or open the sunroof for want of power at first.

Long story short: my advice would be not to leave the dashcam plugged in to the cigarette lighter without something to manage the current.

Quote:
Of late, I noticed that while the car is running the voltage is hovering around 13.2 to 13.7 V. Until a month ago, it used to 14.5 to 14.8 V. Does this mean the battery is getting weaker? I have a USB car charger connected to the socket.
I would imagine that is what it means, although 13.x is still a very healthy voltage.

Quote:
It's way too expensive, so dropped that idea.
I understand, that’s the major issue with retrofitting the reverse camera in a BMW. It’s all the more galling when you see how much more easily it’s done with cheaper cars. Such is the BMW tax.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:15   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
I’m no expert, so take my view with a pinch of salt. I think using it continuously via the cigarette lighter socket without something to manage the current drawn could be problematic in the medium to long term.
Hey, thanks for the details. I should have clarified. Our cigarette lighter socket in front turns off when ignition is off. So, dashcam wouldn't be on. I meant while using it while car is on the move, but I guess these 12V sockets are meant for this and should not affect the battery, like the way you are using.

I am not sure whether the 12V socket at the rear provides continuous power.

Quote:
My dashcam setup is connected to the cigarette lighter and has that control unit I mentioned, but still threw up issues when the BMW workshop I gave it to ignored my instructions and turned off the control unit entirely, while leaving the dashcam plugged in to the cigarette lighter. They had the car for about 3 weeks, with the dashcam drawing power in this way.

Soon enough, it threw an error in the workshop, and this persisted for about 3 weeks until after I brought her home.

That's unfortunate. Good that you have this external control unit, but you don't need this in our car, if the socket turns off, I suppose. However, one of the pictures in your link shows a fuse connection too. If you have avoided that, great.

If I go for this mirror rear cam I only need to worry about routing the cable discreetly. No worries about tinkering with electricals. Also I will only place the rear camera on the inside of the windshield.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd January 2023 at 20:53. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
Old 26th January 2023, 04:12   #2254
BHPian

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-screenshot_20230126040444_chrome.pngBMW officially sells a Cigarette lighter to USB adapter accessory which leads me to beleive utilising this port would not have any negative effects on the battery. I have been using a 70mai front and rear camera dash cam plugged into the cigarette lighter port for nearly 10 months now without any problems. My battery reads around 14.7 volts when the car is running and around 12.18 volts when parked with the engine off when measured through the OBD port via Bimmerlink. I'm on the original battery (9.5 years old now). The cigarette lighter port stops sending power 10 minutes or so after the car is locked. Unlocking the car turns on the power. The only thing you need to be careful of is, if you lock and unlock your car without ever turning on the engine for extended periods (days or weeks depending on your battery health) might end up draining your battery. (Well this might drain your battery irrespective of whether you run a dashcam or not)
Old 10th February 2023, 11:40   #2255
BHPian

F30s are known to have burnt out tail lamps. I had ordered a repair kit for wiring Part No. 61 132359 993. I don't need it now as I have sold my car. If anyone is interested, I can give it. Please dm if interested. Pick up only in Bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-16760093643076457150765639138755.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-16760093863742329425349683147077.jpg  

Old 27th February 2023, 16:14   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
I got my 320d battery replaced with Varta AGM silver diamond battery (95Ah).

The battery was bought and fixed at Swastik Fabs, Kanakapura Road.

Mr.Vijay was very helpful and his team did a good job!
I installed an Exide mtreddin100 (100AH) in my 320D / F30 about 6 months ago, and now my ICE screen keeps resetting and a few garbled alphabets are appearing on the top of the screen. Any workarounds / ideas on how to fix this? Do i need to register the battery or reprogram the charging?
Old 28th February 2023, 08:04   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav View Post
I installed an Exide mtreddin100 (100AH) in my 320D / F30 about 6 months ago, and now my ICE screen keeps resetting and a few garbled alphabets are appearing on the top of the screen. Any workarounds / ideas on how to fix this? Do i need to register the battery or reprogram the charging?
Hi Nirav, I got my battery coded / registered from a local tuner, else you can get this done if any of your contacts have the BimmerCode paid app. This might help. AGM battery would have been the preferred go to battery.
vyasachetan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:32   #2258
BHPian

Android 10.25 inch Head Unit for F30 LCI:

Hi friends, ever since I have been looking for a rear camera for my 320D, I been exploring various options for my car. All along I used to think only Bimmertech does these retrofits which cost around $1800 to upgrade to an 8.8" screen including Android Auto/Car play and a reverse camera. Not only that, we will have to then install it on our own.

I recently bumped into this company Evoretrofits who have an office in Blore and they install and service these units. They have a tie up with EUROCARFIT in Spore for Android head units. All iDrive controls and functions will continue to work and can be used for controlling the touch screen if required.

Has anyone tried their services or used this product:

https://www.evoretrofits.in/product/...-android-auto/

It will replace the 6.5" screen and I can add a OEM like rear camera:

https://www.evoretrofits.in/product/...f25-x3-f15-x5/

I park my car for long hours under direct sunlight every day. Not sure whether there is any fire risk involved owing to high temperature. It doesn't have any built in battery and is powered on only when the ignition is on but it has a Snapdragon 662 processor.

I am trying to get it imported from Spore. Wanted to check if any of you have any views on this.
Old 6th March 2023, 16:34   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Android 10.25 inch Head Unit for F30 LCI:

Hi friends, ever since I have been looking for a rear camera for my 320D, I been exploring various options for my car. All along I used to think only Bimmertech does these retrofits which cost around $1800 to upgrade to an 8.8" screen including Android Auto/Car play and a reverse camera. Not only that, we will have to then install it on our own.

I recently bumped into this company Evoretrofits who have an office in Blore and they install and service these units. They have a tie up with EUROCARFIT in Spore for Android head units. All iDrive controls and functions will continue to work and can be used for controlling the touch screen if required.

Has anyone tried their services or used this product:

https://www.evoretrofits.in/product/...-android-auto/

It will replace the 6.5" screen and I can add a OEM like rear camera:

https://www.evoretrofits.in/product/...f25-x3-f15-x5/

I park my car for long hours under direct sunlight every day. Not sure whether there is any fire risk involved owing to high temperature. It doesn't have any built in battery and is powered on only when the ignition is on but it has a Snapdragon 662 processor.

I am trying to get it imported from Spore. Wanted to check if any of you have any views on this.
I have used Evoretrofit to get a MMI Android Auto/Apply Car play for my 2017 F30 320d, they did a good job for the most part.

However their technical knowledge is not very deep, they weren't able to get the rear view camera working with the MMI box, I took the car to them two times for the same with no success
nirvanaguy19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 18:00   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post
I have used Evoretrofit to get a MMI Android Auto/Apply Car play for my 2017 F30 320d, they did a good job for the most part.

However their technical knowledge is not very deep, they weren't able to get the rear view camera working with the MMI box, I took the car to them two times for the same with no success
Oh really, that's the primary reason I was considering this unit. I am discussing with Satya, will have to quote this incident without naming you. Was this recent? Thanks for your input. Need to think twice.
Old 6th March 2023, 18:01   #2261
BHPian

Quote:
Oh really, that's the primary reason I was considering this unit. I am discussing with Satya, will have to quote this incident without naming you. Was this recent? Thanks for your input. Need to think twice.
This was 7-8 months ago
nirvanaguy19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 18:07   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
This was 7-8 months ago
I checked with Satya on what was the issue. As per him, it seems this rear camera doesn't work only on 8.8" screen. It works on 6.5" stock screen (like mine) or 10.25" android screens. Just fyi.
Old 7th March 2023, 18:08   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with Satya on what was the issue. As per him, it seems this rear camera doesn't work only on 8.8" screen. It works on 6.5" stock screen (like mine) or 10.25" android screens. Just fyi.
Got it, bad luck i guess. Anyway, overall he is a good person to deal with.
Old 14th March 2023, 18:28   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Got it, bad luck i guess. Anyway, overall he is a good person to deal with.
Hey, have you done any coding using Bimmercode app before this MMI install?

I have also done it and wondering whether I need to reverse it before the install or just leave it as it is!

Also they will be tapping into the reverse wires (using T-Taps I suppose), which they would have tried for you.

Hope the iDrive did not throw up any errors after the upgrade. For me it will be a complete screen upgrade.
Old 25th May 2023, 19:52   #2265
BHPian

Update: My Digital Dashboard

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4839534 (BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review)

Further to my post above, here is an updated Realdash dashboard on an 8" tablet (instead of 10" earlier).

Also installed an always on rear camera connected to a 5" screen placed near the cigarette lighter socket (no tapping to reverse light or fuse box required):

Components required:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P4L9XK...t_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQN7QVJ...roduct_details

and a UHD camera sourced offline in CBE.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20230429_193004.jpg  

BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review-20230317_202411_sport.jpg  

Kelly66 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks