Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2024, 16:39   #7336
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I recently got back my 2016 Polo GT TSI (1.2L) from VASS after a change of the ABS sensor. I am noticing that the seat belt warning and chime is not showing up. The vehicle had to be given back for service for an unrelated reason, and so I asked them to check the seat belt warning issue. The SA is telling me that the 2016 model did not have this feature at all, though the car owner's manual says it does. He is telling me that the feature is not showing up for my car's VIN. He also said the wiring harness to detect seat belt status is also not there in the car. I remember this feature being there, though since I always wear my belt, I never got the change to see it in action much.

Can someone confirm if the 2016 model is supposed to have this feature? I had a cursory look at the official review here and couldn't find any mention of it.
Old 9th May 2024, 17:07   #7337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post
I recently got back my 2016 Polo GT TSI (1.2L) from VASS after a change of the ABS sensor. I am noticing that the seat belt warning and chime is not showing up. The vehicle had to be given back for service for an unrelated reason, and so I asked them to check the seat belt warning issue. The SA is telling me that the 2016 model did not have this feature at all, though the car owner's manual says it does. He is telling me that the feature is not showing up for my car's VIN. He also said the wiring harness to detect seat belt status is also not there in the car. I remember this feature being there, though since I always wear my belt, I never got the change to see it in action much.

Can someone confirm if the 2016 model is supposed to have this feature? I had a cursory look at the official review here and couldn't find any mention of it.
Hi, I owned a 2016 Vento TSI and it did not have any seat belt reminder chime. It might have had a visual warning on the MID, not sure.
amartya_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 08:47   #7338

Hi, 2016 models didn't have seat belt reminder chime. This feature came in models after 2019.
1.2tsi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 11:20   #7339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspatil View Post

It's the Mandela effect. Like others have pointed out, there's no wiring harness for seat belt warning in older models, didn't have it in my 2014 Vento, don't have it in my 2017 Polo. Just have a look at the buckle, there's no wiring for the switch going up to it.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2024, 19:11   #7340
BHPian

Battery:

Guys, my 2019 Polo GT TSI 1.2l Lapiz Blue's battery is coming to an end.

I am unable to figure out what battery size the car had and hence don't know what to replace.

Could you guys please help?

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2024, 19:21   #7341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Battery:

Guys, my 2019 Polo GT TSI 1.2l Lapiz Blue's battery is coming to an end.

I am unable to figure out what battery size the car had and hence don't know what to replace.

Could you guys please help?

Thanks!
Get the OEM Rs7,200. Warranty claims can be rejected if non OEM battery is installed. Sell the old one to your neighborhood friendly battery shop.
hellraiser_yank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 16:40   #7342
BHPian

I have always read here that German cars are very picky about battery health & voltage but what I experienced in last two weeks was beyond my imagination.

My 2018 Polo GT's OEM battery was replaced in May-2020 during Covid lockdown with an Amaron FLO battery. This battery started showing signs of degradation in March-2024, and finally gave up yesterday, marking exactly 4 years useful life. I replaced the dead battery with new Amaron FLO battery of same specs. The car behavior has changed completely with new battery.

1. Power Steering is lighter or smoother now. Earlier it felt unnecessarily heavy or resistive to move.

2. Downshifts are faster now. Earlier I was dreading if car was showing signs of imminent DSG failure.

3. From stationary, the car is eager to move (creep) as we lift off the brake. Earlier, it used to take a second to start rolling (as though hill hold assist is always engaged).

4. Trottle response is much better. Finally, the car feels eager and reminds me of the initial fun days (honeymoon period).

5. Ofcourse, the 2-3 seconds delay in cranking the engine is gone but this was expected.

I didn't expect so much sensitivity to battery voltage! I would suggest anyone to replace the battery as soon as it starts showing signs and not to eke out the last drop from dying battery. This car expects us to pamper it so that it can deliver what we expect from it.
Comrade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 17:24   #7343
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm... I'm fairly sure that, when you are driving, the voltage is to do with your alternator: once the engine is started, the battery doesn't have much to do with anything.

Am I missing some electro-mechanical subtlety?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 20:22   #7344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I didn't expect so much sensitivity to battery voltage! I would suggest anyone to replace the battery as soon as it starts showing signs and not to eke out the last drop from dying battery. This car expects us to pamper it so that it can deliver what we expect from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Hmmm... I'm fairly sure that, when you are driving, the voltage is to do with your alternator: once the engine is started, the battery doesn't have much to do with anything.
Does the Polo GT ECU also get reset like other cars if the battery is disconnected for over 10 minutes? If yes, and if its a "learning" type ECU - I think it simply got reset and "unlearned" the Comrade's driving style and now runs on factory setup, giving an experience of everything being revitalized? Is this possible?
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 20:42   #7345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Does the Polo GT ECU also get reset like other cars if the battery is disconnected for over 10 minutes? If yes, and if its a "learning" type ECU - I think it simply got reset and "unlearned" the Comrade's driving style and now runs on factory setup, giving an experience of everything being revitalized? Is this possible?
I can understand things like transmission & throttle response being reset. My initial thought has been same but that still does not explain power steering and eager to creep upon disengaging brakes etc.

I could be completely wrong here but I am assuming that while the engine is running, the alternator alone is not sufficient and the battery still plays a role in powering the electricals + electronics of a modern car.
Old 30th May 2024, 21:46   #7346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I could be completely wrong here but I am assuming that while the engine is running, the alternator alone is not sufficient and the battery still plays a role in powering the electricals + electronics of a modern car.
Little, if any. Imagine hours in stop-start traffic. Back in the pre-alternator days, we had generators, and they were very much dependent on engine RPM. One of the great improvements with alternators was that they produce a decent amount of current at low revs.

There are certain things that we feel, but which are not true. One of these is how much better a car runs on a freshly-filled-up tank of fuel. I still get that feeling.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 23:15   #7347
BHPian

Quote:
I have always read here that German cars are very picky about battery health & voltage but what I experienced in last two weeks was beyond my imagination.

My 2018 Polo GT's OEM battery was replaced in May-2020 during Covid lockdown with an Amaron FLO battery. This battery started showing signs of degradation in March-2024, and finally gave up yesterday, marking exactly 4 years useful life. I replaced the dead battery with new Amaron FLO battery of same specs. The car behavior has changed completely with new battery.

1. Power Steering is lighter or smoother now. Earlier it felt unnecessarily heavy or resistive to move.

2. Downshifts are faster now. Earlier I was dreading if car was showing signs of imminent DSG failure.

3. From stationary, the car is eager to move (creep) as we lift off the brake. Earlier, it used to take a second to start rolling (as though hill hold assist is always engaged).

4. Trottle response is much better. Finally, the car feels eager and reminds me of the initial fun days (honeymoon period).

5. Ofcourse, the 2-3 seconds delay in cranking the engine is gone but this was expected.

Battery life is my sore grouse against VW vehicles and I have handled two Jettas & one Polo GT TSI.

Sharing my thoughts as below:

- reliable battery life is generally not beyond 3 years. I have faced situations when the bettery is just beyond 3 years old and it has let me down.
- some owners are of the opinion that operating power windows, side mirrors, AC fan etc when the engine is not running increases the number of charge/discharge cycles and reduces its life . But then this should be true for other makes of cars other than VW.
- I have not observed any of the improvements in performance after replacing with a new battery, shall watch for it
- I often travel abroad for 2 or 3 months when the GT TSI is immobile. I take care to disconnect the battery during this time. I have no issues starting up on my return. This , I believe, will protect battery life somewhat.
- I also take care to inflate the tyres to 50 psi for the period the car is immobile, this takes care of any possible 'flat spotting'.
- I do not purchase battery from the VW franchise as my vehicle is more than 6 years old and I am not eligible for warranty in any case so I might as well save some money

BTW, some one on this forum mentioned that Polo GT TSI seems to perform better after a tankful of fuel. Yes, I agree it does seem so. But perhaps this is dues to the increased load on the rear section from the tankful of fuel, balancing loading between front and rear, which improves the ride quality.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks