Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2013, 20:14   #106
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Most of the videos of 1.2tsi mated with the 7speed dsg in youtube ( for example) have aprox 8 sec 0-100 times.. Wondering why and how is the indian version 11.6 seconds.
vijayvb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 20:42   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Wondering why and how is the indian version 11.6 seconds.
1) Fuel
2) Ambient temperature was probably higher
3) The car may not have run too much, so possible the engine wasn't run in and at optimum performance.

These would be the three main things. Stuff like the tyres not providing optimum grip, or the road surface not providing optimum grip and causing the esp to kick in may also have happened.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 26th April 2013 at 20:45.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 20:57   #108
BHPian

Awesome Review!

Polo 1.2L TSI seems to be a perfect replacement for my ageing OHC. It ticks all the boxes:
  • Powerful
  • Simple and timeless design
  • Good handling
  • Hatch with foldable rear seats
  • Safety features
  • and on top of all that - 7 speed Auto Box
Only if they price it around or below 6.5-7.0 lac Ex-Showroom.
Old 26th April 2013, 21:03   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvb View Post
Wondering why and how is the indian version 11.6 seconds.
There are different versions of the 1.2 TSi - with higher states of tune as well. Also, the way the car puts the power down is not all just the engine and power ratings. The suspension, the tires etc. also play a part. There is no launch control on this, so if you put just floor it, you may not get the best traction off the line. All these can add little bits of time. I think under ideal conditions, this can go to 100 in under 10 seconds. However, the best performance is usually in the midrange, almost like a diesel engine.
Old 26th April 2013, 23:30   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
1) Fuel
3) The car may not have run too much, so possible the engine wasn't run in and at optimum performance.

These would be the three main things. Stuff like the tyres not providing optimum grip, or the road surface not providing optimum grip and causing the esp to kick in may also have happened.
Will inferior quality fuel / average tyres really make that much of a difference? I mean, a 3.6 sec difference sounds way off.

Is there any mechanical difference between the Indian spec Polo GT and the Euro spec Polo GT?
Old 26th April 2013, 23:46   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Will inferior quality fuel / average tyres really make that much of a difference? I mean, a 3.6 sec difference sounds way off.

Is there any mechanical difference between the Indian spec Polo GT and the Euro spec Polo GT?
Europe spec GT has 1.4 TSI engine. There the 1.2 TSI is provided as one of the options in regular polo. The 0-100 time of 1.2 TSI in Europe is 9.7 sec with DSG. So thats 1.6 sec off as per autocar review which says its 11.3 sec.

Still shall wait for the official numbers from VW.

Last edited by drpudhi : 26th April 2013 at 23:53.
Old 27th April 2013, 00:43   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

Very subjective take on the car and the brand. My Polo is 3 years old and it is yet to face even a minor complaint, forget breakdown. We should appreciate VW for bringing their modern engines and line ups to India. With this attitude you will be always sitting back and waiting for some one else to respond with every launch.
I wouldn't take it kindly when you talk about my attitude. I meant I wanted to see how would fiat respond period. I'm not looking forward to buying a new car to be waiting for the launch. I own a vw vento there are problems that I've faced with it and I don't want to get further into it. I've not had a pleasant experience with vw. There are many write ups in this forum where members have had troubles with their vehicles because you didn't face any problem with yours will not make theirs go away.
Old 27th April 2013, 01:32   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
I own a vw vento there are problems that I've faced with it and I don't want to get further into it. I've not had a pleasant experience with vw.
Sad to hear that you had bad experience with your Vento. Though its OT but I would still like to put that you should have posted your concerns in the Vento review thread which is very active here or maybe in any other relevant thread. Fellow BHPians who own Vento and many other experts on the forum may help you solving your issues. If we don't share our issues with each other to find solution then what is sense of having such great platform like TBhp which has been coming handy many a times for may fellow members?
Old 27th April 2013, 06:58   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Fabulous review of what seems like a fantastic car.

Despite the DSG woes I have suffered from on my Superb, I would certainly have considered this if it had been available at the time I bought my Vento Petrol AT. Why? Firstly, the DSG - TSi combination offers a far superior driving experience to anything this side of the 328i (ok I am exaggerating a bit). Further, I think the 2+2 year warranty (available on the Vento and presumably on this car as well) gives you decent coverage, and at least from my experience so far (and that of some friends), VW group / Skoda has been willing to extend goodwill warranty coverage where justified. And finally, a nice to drive hatch would be great for those shopping trips where parking a sedan gets painful. And for all those raving about manuals - please look at the stats, DSGs often deliver better 0-100 times than manuals even for experts, and I dare say, the difference would be even larger for the average Joe.

Wonder if they will move the 1.2 TSi - DSG combination to the Vento as well?

Last edited by Hayek : 27th April 2013 at 07:02.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 07:29   #115
BHPian

Great review!
Never have driven an automatic car, would love to test drive this car. Hope it gets priced competitively.

The video about ESP was nice, it gave an understanding about the feature.

Last edited by punto_ : 27th April 2013 at 07:34.
Old 27th April 2013, 07:34   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Wonder if they will move the 1.2 TSi - DSG combination to the Vento as well?
If the market gives a warm response to the GT, there is no way they can stick to the lethargic 1.6 plus old school AT combination for the Vento. Customers (Common people who dont know / care about DSG or not) will end up complaining that the engine and gearbox is bad in Vento compared to Polo.

I believe it should just be a matter of time before the same appears in Vento/ Rapid.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th April 2013 at 07:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 07:43   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
1) Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

What Akshay mentioned above should be the reasons for this variance.

And we don’t need to read too much into the numbers given by Autocar. They have clearly stated that the figures are not in standard test conditions.

I don’t think there is any mechanical difference between the Polo 1.2 TSI 105ps in India and abroad.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-polo-autocar.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 10:03   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post
Also remember that the Laura manual also gets a de-tuned engine.
The Laura TSI Manual/Auto have the same 160 HP rating. The diesel automatic is detuned (110 HP) v/s the diesel automatic (140 HP)

Spoke with the VW prabhadevi showroom. TDs will be available from Monday. Car,however, is already available for inspection. Estimated OTR mumbai 8.5-9.

Any idea why they'd offer hill-hold in the feature set? Odd, considering cost-cutting is the reason for skipping paddle shifters. Also, I'd rather they threw in an integrated sat nav capable HU rather than a totally irrelevant feature for a car that's never going to go off-road.
Old 27th April 2013, 11:30   #119
BHPian

This is exactly the kind of car a lot of us keep wishing car companies would launch in India. I hope for the sake of car scene in India it succeeds! If i was in the market for a car and i had the money i would promptly go buy this!

This car is gonna be a legend in the used circuit in a few years. Kinda like the OHC's and Palio 1.6s of yore!
Old 27th April 2013, 11:55   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post

The Laura TSI Manual/Auto have the same 160 HP rating. The diesel automatic is detuned (110 HP) v/s the diesel automatic (140 HP)

Spoke with the VW prabhadevi showroom. TDs will be available from Monday. Car,however, is already available for inspection. Estimated OTR mumbai 8.5-9.

Any idea why they'd offer hill-hold in the feature set? Odd, considering cost-cutting is the reason for skipping paddle shifters. Also, I'd rather they threw in an integrated sat nav capable HU rather than a totally irrelevant feature for a car that's never going to go off-road.
You'll thank the hill hold feature when you get stuck in the basement ramp of your office or the local mall - it makes for complete peace of mind in that situation for you and even more so for the car behind you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks