Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 16:28   #3196
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 6,605 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Checked my Extended Warranty document. Headlight assemblies are specifically excluded . Will visit them next week.
Oh. That is bad. I remember Jetta had the headlights covered under extended warranty.

I remember a few Octy owners had this problem and Skoda replacing the whole headlight under goodwill. Worst case, if the dealer doesn’t budge, you could escalate to Skoda to intervene.

All the best
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 16:43   #3197
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,133
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Checked my Extended Warranty document. Headlight assemblies are specifically excluded . Will visit them next week.
However, shreyak_ss has successfully got it changed so I am ultra hopeful!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4450092 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)

You can distinctly see the difference:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-drl-good.jpeg  

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-drl-yellow.jpeg  


Last edited by itwasntme : 12th November 2018 at 16:46.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:14   #3198
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
However, shreyak_ss has successfully got it changed so I am ultra hopeful!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4450092 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)

You can distinctly see the difference:
One of mine conked-off during warranty they replaced it without hassle. But other one conked-off shortly after the warranty and they made so much fuss. After some mail exchanges with Skoda, they covered 70% of the cost. I wish you luck to get 100% like @shreyak_ss.

I wish Skoda make a change in their warranty terms to cover the DRL's. It is so expensive to fix it as you have to replace the entire unit.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:23   #3199
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,133
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
One of mine conked-off during warranty they replaced it without hassle. But other one conked-off shortly after the warranty and they made so much fuss. After some mail exchanges with Skoda, they covered 70% of the cost. I wish you luck to get 100% like @shreyak_ss.

I wish Skoda make a change in their warranty terms to cover the DRL's. It is so expensive to fix it as you have to replace the entire unit.
Update is that I paid a flying visit to my trusty dealer today (Vinayak Skoda Okalipuram), and they will try for full headlight assembly replacement next week when I visit for the 45k km service.

However, more importantly i got a coolant level warning (today itself!) and it was diagnosed to be a faulty water pump. That is also under EW and part has been ordered with a TAT of 2/3 days.

Very happy with my experience at Vinayak: I was very well looked after with both SA and senior workshop management being highly knowledgeable and mindful of providing an excellent customer experience. Frankly, I was deeply apprehensive from the earlier feedback about the EW claims. Keeping all body appendages firmly crossed
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 13:28   #3200
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,844
Thanked: 2,354 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

However, more importantly i got a coolant level warning (today itself!) and it was diagnosed to be a faulty water pump. That is also under EW and part has been ordered with a TAT of 2/3 days.

Water pump failure? How old is the car and how many kms has she done?
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 14th November 2018, 17:10   #3201
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,133
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Water pump failure? How old is the car and how many kms has she done?
3 years and 40k km. Much too early but I understand that VW & Skoda engines are prone to this, the TDI more and the TSI less.
itwasntme is offline  
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:31   #3202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 112
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Hello All,

Anyone faced issue with AC so far? I am facing the issue of delayed AC start. Blower keeps working. But cooling starts after 10 to 12 mins into the drive. This is irrespective of the ambient temperature. This delay has progressively increased over the last two months. Initially thought that some setting change I might have done by mistake in HUD.

Once cooling starts it is very good and then itworks normal through the day even when I start after few hours. But overnight stand in the garage, the problem comes back in the first drive in the morning.

What could be the reason for this. Worried about taking to the ASS as they might mess with the interiors. Anyway have booked a service on Saturday. Vehicle still under warranty.
Karvel is offline  
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:42   #3203
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,926
Thanked: 8,359 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post

What could be the reason for this. Worried about taking to the ASS as they might mess with the interiors. Anyway have booked a service on Saturday. Vehicle still under warranty.
Does the compressor engage when you switch on the AC? With the description you gave, the electro-magnetic clutch which engages the compressor could be at fault. Since the AC itself is working fine once it starts, it should not be a tricky or expensive fix.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline  
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:51   #3204
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,720
Thanked: 7,026 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Update is that I paid a flying visit to my trusty dealer today (Vinayak Skoda Okalipuram)
Very happy with my experience at Vinayak: I was very well looked after with both SA and senior workshop management being highly knowledgeable and mindful of providing an excellent customer experience. Frankly, I was deeply apprehensive from the earlier feedback about the EW claims. Keeping all body appendages firmly crossed
You know, I ve also been using Vinayak service ever since I bought my Yeti from their showroom 7 years ago. I used to go to the K R Puram centre. Now I go to the Mahadevapura centre.
My experience with them has been uniformly good. They have always looked after my vehicle well. And contrary to all those impressions floating around here, the Skoda annual maintenance bills are perfectly reasonable, as per my experience over these last 7 years.
Consistent experience over such a reasonable sample period, ought to count for something no? May the nay sayers sit up and take note!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 21:59   #3205
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 363
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Anyone faced issue with AC so far? I am facing the issue of delayed AC start. Blower keeps working. But cooling starts after 10 to 12 mins into the drive.
This is probably the compressor pressure switch failure. Since it is under warranty, they'll replace the whole compressor.

Mine was replaced under warranty at around 60k kms.
joethomasv is offline  
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:48   #3206
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 112
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Does the compressor engage when you switch on the AC? With the description you gave, the electro-magnetic clutch which engages the compressor could be at fault. Since the AC itself is working fine once it starts, it should not be a tricky or expensive fix.

Regards,
Saket.
I am not able to decipher the sound. Closed garage is amplifying the engine noise. Will try checking in the evening outdoors. Are the ACs not continuously variable ones? Always engaged and the compressor works high or low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
This is probably the compressor pressure switch failure. Since it is under warranty, they'll replace the whole compressor.

Mine was replaced under warranty at around 60k kms.
Reassuring to hear that. Anyway mine under warranty too. How long it took? Were the parts available readily or you had to wait for few days? Also how long does this replacement work takes? Same day?
Karvel is offline  
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:00   #3207
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 363
Thanked: 278 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I think you are right. The Octavia uses a clutch-less variable displacement compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
How long it took? Were the parts available readily or you had to wait for few days? Also how long does this replacement work takes?
The dealer diagnosed the problem and placed the order for a new compressor. Once the parts arrived a week later, the car needed to be at the service centre for warranty claim.
I think it took almost a week to get it fixed. They replaced the compressor as well as the dryer.
I was under extended warranty and unlike now, it was handled by a third party insurance company which added to some additional down time.
joethomasv is offline  
Old 25th November 2018, 10:32   #3208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 112
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Made a visit to ASS - Jai Auto, Gurgaon, yesterday. Did not switch on the AC till reaching there. But when the SA switched it on, it worked perfectly fine. Also the rattles were not coming out.

Anyway, the vehicle was connected to the AC gas recirculation machine and complete vaccumming was done to measure the gas quantity. SA confirmed its all good and hence the gas was refilled after some "flushing" was done. Have been adviced to keep running the car as usual and observe. If the issue comes back, then they will go for replacing the compressor under warranty.

Service visit appointment was taken couple of days back. Was promptly attended by SA. No charges levied for the visit. Took about 2 hrs.
Karvel is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 06:21   #3209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 74
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I have been reading this thread as I have locked on to buy Octavia 1.8 TSI AT.
The dilemma is to go for a new one or pre-owned one. Have one for sale 2015 model 1.8 TSI AT driven around 60K. Looks good but not sure of out of warranty issues that may arrive for the km run. Looks like DSG gear box had issues with models during 2010, is it still the issue or Skoda has resolved it?

Can anyone please tell me what I need to be watching out for before making this decision to buy a pre-owned Octavia 1.8 TSI AT?

Thanks in advance.
abacusv is offline  
Old 19th December 2018, 06:50   #3210
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,967
Thanked: 6,605 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacusv View Post
I have been reading this thread as I have locked on to buy Octavia 1.8 TSI AT.
The dilemma is to go for a new one or pre-owned one. Have one for sale 2015 model 1.8 TSI AT driven around 60K. Looks good but not sure of out of warranty issues that may arrive for the km run. Looks like DSG gear box had issues with models during 2010, is it still the issue or Skoda has resolved it?

Can anyone please tell me what I need to be watching out for before making this decision to buy a pre-owned Octavia 1.8 TSI AT?

Thanks in advance.
If you have the budget to get a new one, I would suggest you take that option. If you decide to go for used car, then just put aside some money for failures like water pump, fuel pump or AC compressor which are common failures in VAG cars. Skoda usually replaces the DSG even outside warranty under goodwill warranty. So, that need not be a concern.

The number of DSG failures has definitely come down compared to the pre 2010 models. But you still can't say it is reliable, as there have been many instances of DSG failures in Octavias in this forum which have been replaced by Skoda.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks