Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2013, 20:14   #526
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Thanks Adi_petrolhead.
Tafe Access in Bangalore had 2 race blue cars in their showroom on Hosur Road-a 1.8TSI and another Ambition model(a diesel i think). The former was sold a couple of days ago. About the later, I am not sure. The Sale Agent mentioned that they were rather surprised to receive them as they were not expeceted this early.
No sign of the red ones yet.
Old 8th December 2013, 20:59   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

+ 1 to Dkaile. Oil consumption settles down after initial 10K kms or so. Going by some Laura/ Superb 1.8 TSI owners' experience, driving more in stop and go conditions makes the engine consume more oil. My 1.8 TSI Laura is close to 50K kms and I haven't topped up oil in the last 20K kms. Offlate my car is more of a highway runner.

The issue is not so major as long as the owner is aware of it and is prepared for it by carrying a 1 litre can in the boot. You would not want the low oil lamp lighting up in the middle of nowhere, with no oil source for hundreds of Kms!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
dont know much about the 1.4 but my 1.8 is returning 15 kmpl on the highway and 11 kmpl in the city. ARAI claimed 14.7 kmpl in a mixed cycle, so I think its quite close to their claims. Expect similar efficiency results from the 1.4 as well.
Those are very good mileage figures you seem to be getting there, esp the highway figures. Cruise control could have a big hand in that. My car gives 15+ only when I cruise at a steady 100 ~ 110 kmph. At what speed do you set cruise control?

Polo 1.2 TSi owners are also reporting similar mileage figures. Of course driving style matters a lot with these TSI motors but I don't expect the 1.4 TSI to be significantly more efficient than the 1.8 TSI.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th December 2013 at 21:26.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 21:47   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
+ 1 to Dkaile. Oil consumption settles down after initial 10K kms or so. Going by some Laura/ Superb 1.8 TSI owners' experience, driving more in stop and go conditions makes the engine consume more oil. My 1.8 TSI Laura is close to 50K kms and I haven't topped up oil in the last 20K kms. Offlate my car is more of a highway runner. The issue is not so major as long as the owner is aware of it and is prepared for it by carrying a 1 litre can in the boot. You would not want the low oil lamp lighting up in the middle of nowhere, with no oil source for hundreds of Kms!! Those are very good mileage figures you seem to be getting there, esp the highway figures. Cruise control could have a big hand in that. My car gives 15+ only when I cruise at a steady 100 ~ 110 kmph. At what speed do you set cruise control? Polo 1.2 TSi owners are also reporting similar mileage figures. Of course driving style matters a lot with these TSI motors but I don't expect the 1.4 TSI to be significantly more efficient than the 1.8 TSI.
this reminds me to get that 1 liter can of oil. Which oil should I buy? Shell Helix or Castrol? What rating?
Yes I do cruise a lot and at about 100-110 kph. Once the Cruise control is set, when I press the resume button the car will reach the set speed seamlessly without any input from my end, its a breeze on highways.
Old 8th December 2013, 21:56   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
this reminds me to get that 1 liter can of oil. Which oil should I buy? Shell Helix or Castrol? What rating?
Yes I do cruise a lot and at about 100-110 kph. Once the Cruise control is set, when I press the resume button the car will reach the set speed seamlessly without any input from my end, its a breeze on highways.
They were earlier using Shell Helix Ultra but later moved on to Castrol Magnatec Professional. The grade is 5W-40 fully synthetic. Unfortunately Castrol Magnatec Professional is not available in the market. It is an OE only brand which is supplied directly to the service centres. I always carry a litre a of Shell Helix Ultra in the car and have topped up whenever the oil level on dipstick was below halfway mark.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 08:24   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
They were earlier using Shell Helix Ultra but later moved on to Castrol Magnatec Professional. The grade is 5W-40 fully synthetic. Unfortunately Castrol Magnatec Professional is not available in the market. It is an OE only brand which is supplied directly to the service centres.
I have switched to Castrol Edge 5W-40 fully synthetic based on advise from Autobahn. It meets the VW spec, and I presume it is not very different from Magnatec Professional. However, I feel oil consumption has gone up slightly compared to when I was using Shell Helix Ultra.
Old 11th December 2013, 07:11   #531
BHPian

Saw this video on YouTube labelled Octavia 2013 Production. It provides a nice glimpse of the manufacturing process-from sheet metal to finished car. Though the car that comes out looks like the Laura (Octavia 2), the video is a nice one. The robots covered robes in working autonomously look great (and a bit eerie).
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 13:14   #532
BHPian

So finally it is either the Jetta highline or the diesel Octavia in its Elegance avatar . Which would be the pick of the 2 ? . To make things simpler i at the least want a car which drives similar to the pre facelift Laura. I should be booking the car in 2014 feb.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:27   #533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's View Post
So finally it is either the Jetta highline or the diesel Octavia in its Elegance avatar . Which would be the pick of the 2 ? . To make things simpler i at the least want a car which drives similar to the pre facelift Laura. I should be booking the car in 2014 feb.
If it is diesel, then I would say Jetta. Jetta has the multi link suspension, whereas Octavia only has the inferior torsion beam. Whereas the Octavia comes with the sunroof which Jetta does not. Every other feature is similar between the two.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 13:31   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are fixed on diesel, then I'd suggest you pick up the Jetta. More so since you want a car that drives better. The Jetta has the all important multilink rear suspension which the new Octavia diesel quite inexplicably misses out on. The powertrains are almost similar. The Octavia is a brand new model and has a certain freshness about it. Its a bit better equipped than the Jetta right now, but the 2014 Jetta is expected to get some updates to help it compete better.

With the gap between diesel and petrol narrowing, the Octavia 1.8 TSI, with 180 PS + 7 spd DSG and all bells and whistles would've been really hard to overlook for me if I were in your shoes.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 11th December 2013 at 13:40.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 13:45   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
If you are fixed on diesel, then I'd suggest you pick up the Jetta. More so since you want a car that drives better. The Jetta has the all important multilink rear suspension which the new Octavia diesel quite inexplicably misses out on. The powertrains are almost similar. The Octavia is a brand new model and has a certain freshness about it. Its a bit better equipped than the Jetta right now, but the 2014 Jetta is expected to get some updates to help it compete better. With the gap between diesel and petrol narrowing, the Octavia 1.8 TSI, with 180 PS + 7 spd DSG and all bells and whistles would've been really hard to overlook for me if I were in your shoes.
The Jetta is a competent car in its own way but the Octavia is tempting with its increased space and the overall length of the car. Also the Octavia in black, silver and white is just hard to resist. Well finally a TD of the 2 should settle things.
Old 11th December 2013, 14:27   #536
BHPian

So i went to a Skoda Showroom here in Mumbai the other day too see the Octavia and maybe take a test drive. Upon asking the sales executive about the 1.8tsi he says it is yet to be launched and will be launched only after January. He insisted that it is impossible that there is any new Octavia with a petrol engine being driven on Indian roads at the moment . Thanked him and left.

By the way to me the Octavia felt a tad smaller than the Jetta when i sat inside. Is it just me or are the dimensions actually smaller?

VVB
Old 11th December 2013, 15:07   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If it is diesel, then I would say Jetta. Jetta has the multi link suspension, whereas Octavia only has the inferior torsion beam. Whereas the Octavia comes with the sunroof which Jetta does not. Every other feature is similar between the two.
I wouldn't go by spec's alone on the torsion beam suspension. I recall reading a couple of posts from the reviewers and GTO, who mention that the diesel Octavia actually felt better planted on highways than the petrol version.
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 15:19   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a chance to see a top-end white Octavia in office last evening, in my opinion, it looks far plusher than the Jetta. I suggest you sit in both cars, and decide based on the interiors, thats where you spend your time. VW and Skoda are somewhat evenly matched when it comes to service, you have narrowed down to these brands so I assume its not a problem for you. Booking in 2014 might give you a wider choice of colours with the Octavia - an option which the Jetta doesn't have.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 15:41   #539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
The Jetta is a competent car in its own way but the Octavia is tempting with its increased space and the overall length of the car. Also the Octavia in black, silver and white is just hard to resist. Well finally a TD of the 2 should settle things.
Here is a comparison between Octavia and Jetta.

New 2013 Skoda Octavia vs Volkswagen Jetta - Autocar India

Here is a video comparison.

2013 Skoda Octavia vs Volkswagen Jetta Video Comparison - Autocar India

In the end, it all boils down to one's preferences. Do a TD of both the cars and go with the one that your heart desires
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 15:50   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja
Here is a comparison between Octavia and Jetta. New 2013 Skoda Octavia vs Volkswagen Jetta - Autocar India Here is a video comparison. 2013 Skoda Octavia vs Volkswagen Jetta Video Comparison - Autocar India In the end, it all boils down to one's preferences. Do a TD of both the cars and go with the one that your heart desires
I have read and seen this and I dont see a clear winner here and even ACI is confused after the recent Jetta facelift. Well it should be about individual preferences now. A TD should solve the matter. I am hoping fort he best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks