Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2015, 08:46   #1771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpbreather View Post
Greetings members. After waiting for about three weeks I got a call from SA at Vinayak Cars saying that the Zeal Edition has been dis-continued and only the regular beige colour (interior trim) will be available. Personally prefer the black interior and was very disappointed.

As I wait and debate I have to say I have test driven many vehicles trying to find similar drive quality from the Honda City CVT, Corolla auto Cruze Auto Verna and Elantra both auto and they do not even match up to the octavia 1.4 Tsi (base trim manual) Automatic being a preference CVT in the i10 seemed better than a lot of the above cars and none matched the DSG like the Polo Vento and Rapid.
I was trying hard to convince myself to cancel the 1.8 Tsi and think from the head but.
I even considered the XUV 500 (facelift) but no automatic hence moved away.

Someone do let me know if the zeal edition is still available (have mailed skoda customer care about the same)

Also I must add I am taking this plunge even though my Skoda Fabia has been at the workshop waiting for a part which is not in stock for over a month.
Vinayak Cars has said that they are looking into the issue and a part is to arrive from Skoda (abroad somewhere).

Am I being smart by waiting so long or simply
Clearly 1.8 tsi is actually a VFM option considering its qualities (minus their SASS). No other car comes close to it in that price.

But IMO what is even more VFM is a hardly run, as good as new, pre owned MB C250 cdi (or even 2012 and above 320d too) is a far far better car in the same price, provided you are open to the idea and lucky enough to get one. Getting it in 25L is not a problem, but getting that car itself maybe since few have been sold. And I am sure you not being new to MB and Skoda, already known that in long term service cost the Skoda might even cost more if something big like the DSG packs up. And as much time you are waiting to get the 1.8 tsi, you might get the C250 cdi in that time.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 10:01   #1772
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Clearly 1.8 tsi is actually a VFM option considering its qualities (minus their SASS). No other car comes close to it in that price.

But IMO what is even more VFM is a hardly run, as good as new, pre owned MB C250 cdi (or even 2012 and above 320d too) is a far far better car in the same price, provided you are open to the idea and lucky enough to get one. Getting it in 25L is not a problem, but getting that car itself maybe since few have been sold. And I am sure you not being new to MB and Skoda, already known that in long term service cost the Skoda might even cost more if something big like the DSG packs up. And as much time you are waiting to get the 1.8 tsi, you might get the C250 cdi in that time.
I dont think so that is true in the current state of affairs. This thread is now almost 2 years old, and has many many owners, but noone has complained as of now for the DSG. I think the DSG horros are now over and we can think ahead. As far as after sales is concerned, I booked my TSi only after I met the Service Manager and liked his honesty about the issues on Sunroof and OVRMs and how they have made changes in their service schedule to manage them.

I think Skoda is trying hard to improve their quality and am sure we need to give them a chance looking at how serious they are with the Indian Market.
Atleast in seriousness, I can rate them equally to all Germans and much much higher than the Fords and GMs of the world
dhall_gagan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 10:24   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
honesty about the issues on Sunroof and OVRMs and how they have made changes in their service schedule to manage them.

Could you pls elaborate how they have managed to address these issues, in detail? For the benefit of the whole thread and for mine because in almost two years my dealer has not been able to address the issues. They keep telling me its a design flaw in all Octavias. Seriously?!
Old 26th May 2015, 10:44   #1774
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Someone do let me know if the zeal edition is still available (have mailed skoda customer care about the same)
Worst case scenario - Get a car with beige interiors and go to Color Glo in Kerala and get the interiors dyed in black.
Old 26th May 2015, 10:50   #1775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Honestly nothing drives better than the Octavia 1.8 TSI in that segment. The BMW, Mercs and Audis and priced ridiculously for what is essentially 80% of the Octy.

I too was looking at Zeal edition and Vinayak confirmed last week it is fully discontinued.

They told me Zeal edition did better than expected. Skoda needs to relook the strategy and get the black interior theme back as an option!
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 13:01   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Could you pls elaborate how they have managed to address these issues, in detail? For the benefit of the whole thread and for mine because in almost two years my dealer has not been able to address the issues. They keep telling me its a design flaw in all Octavias. Seriously?!
Adi, he told me that they have prepared a scheduled checkup of Sunroof for all the Octavias at 7500 and are doing a cleanup with a Fluid which has been recommended by Skoda. He also said the main reason for this rattling is because in Octavia they went ahead for more headroom and opted for the Sunroof opening out rather than in the roof and being a dusty env, in India they started facing problems, which is not a design flaw, but a decision gone wrong.
I have read all the replies in this thread and yes people have used a fluid o control the rattling.

However, with Sunroof after the cleaning he showed the case of few cars in the system, they didnot got any repeated complaints, till now.

And am sure, the manager was true and confident, otherwise why was there a need to show me service records of cars which had raised this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honestly nothing drives better than the Octavia 1.8 TSI in that segment. The BMW, Mercs and Audis and priced ridiculously for what is essentially 80% of the Octy.

I too was looking at Zeal edition and Vinayak confirmed last week it is fully discontinued.

They told me Zeal edition did better than expected. Skoda needs to relook the strategy and get the black interior theme back as an option!
Very very strange, I dont think this is the case. Just spoke to my booking manager at Fahrenheit and he confimed that the cars are indeed available.I asked him to check thoroughly and confirm me. He shall be getting back in an hour's time.
I think you guys should talk to them again, I think they are making a fool because they mighht have booked more than they can deliver and rather than taking the wrath of customers, they said "Sir, Bandh ho gayi"

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th May 2015 at 13:11. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit or multi-quote option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:05   #1777
BHPian

I have observed a minor issue in the infotainment system (Bolero). Fellow owners please chime in with your observations.

When you press the 'SETUP' button on the center console and go into the 'Display' setup area, the first option is for turning off the display when the touchscreen is idle for 10 seconds. I enable this option and it works. The screen turns off after the delay and turns on when the proximity sensor detects my hand.

But when I turn the ignition off and restart, the option settings gets reset to OFF. I have to enable it again. Seems like it the bit is not sticky.

Please let me know if any of you have faced this issue.
Old 26th May 2015, 17:08   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post

But when I turn the ignition off and restart, the option settings gets reset to OFF. I have to enable it again. Seems like it the bit is not sticky.

Yes its the same problem for me too. Haven't got any idea how to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall_gagan View Post
Adi, he told me that they have prepared a scheduled checkup of Sunroof for all the Octavias at 7500 and are doing a cleanup with a Fluid which has been recommended by Skoda. He also said the main reason for this rattling is because in Octavia they went ahead for more headroom and opted for the Sunroof opening out rather than in the roof and being a dusty env, in India they started facing problems, which is not a design flaw, but a decision gone wrong.

I have read all the replies in this thread and yes people have used a fluid o control the rattling.

The Audi Q3, the Audi A3, all other new cars based on the MQB platform are coming with the same sunroof which has a larger glass area. So if they think they can solve it with cleaning the edges or the beading with some fluid, they should hand over a bottle to me next time rattle is from the inner shade as well. Also there is no excuse for the irritating noise in the ORVM. I have stopped using the auto fold option and keep it opened at all times. Recently, when doing mirror adjustment in the ORVM, that action is also making noise. I understand dust is he culprit again but then there has to be a permanent solution. I have never heard i10's and i20's make this noise when the mirrors fold or open.
Old 26th May 2015, 18:02   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The Audi Q3, the Audi A3, all other new cars based on the MQB platform are coming with the same sunroof which has a larger glass area. So if they think they can solve it with cleaning the edges or the beading with some fluid, they should hand over a bottle to me next time rattle is from the inner shade as well. Also there is no excuse for the irritating noise in the ORVM. I have stopped using the auto fold option and keep it opened at all times. Recently, when doing mirror adjustment in the ORVM, that action is also making noise. I understand dust is he culprit again but then there has to be a permanent solution. I have never heard i10's and i20's make this noise when the mirrors fold or open.
Couldn't agree with you more. Problem is magnified when the service guy is not forthcoming on the exact issue and how they have dealt with it. During my conversation I was told that they did some realignment and also some work on the inner shade to solve the problem. I was asked to be careful and slow while opening and closing the inner shade. I couldn't understand if there was a problem with inner shade then why did they do realignment?

Adi my 2 two months are getting over soon.....
Old 27th May 2015, 03:48   #1780
BHPian

Thanks for the replies. I checked with Tafe and they said the Zeal was limited and sold out. However they do have the Yeti and Superb in stock (Zeal). Maybe members from other cities can shine some light.
Would have loved the black interior trim and seats but it also creates a darker boring environment so its time to move from a black interior Fabia to a beige and black Octavia hopefully.

Indeed I would love to get my hands on a sparingly used Merc or BMW and be guaranteed a perfect drivers car. A lot of friends have told me to check but I am hesitant and prefer a new car to say the least.
The understated Skoda - Octavia (in terms of brand) is a good thing keeping it low key (sleeper maybe) and has many advantages over an attention seeking MB or BMW (just my opinion). I feel the entry level MB AUDI BMW JAG etc are more a teaser of the brand (no doubt the new C class is a great car). The next class - E, 5 series, A6 are highly overpriced and the octavia has most of the Kit for half or 1/3 the cost.

But what about the sunroof is it a design flaw? The mirrors making noise and a list of flaws that members have experienced (I would have loved the proven 6 speed DSG) this is more an experimental box that will move to other cars after being tested by us?
Does the A3 petrol have the same DSG as 1.8 TSi?
Does it consume a whole tank of oil in the first 1000 kms, does one need to top of oil if the car is taken for a long trip in its initial days.

I have decided to take the plunge and break the bank but have a few doubts to clear before and best post them here.

- ask the gurus -

I have a NCB certificate from United india insurance from an old car - It reads

"The insured under policy XXXXX with vehicle reg no. XX XX XX was enjoying a 45% bonus for the policy year 2014. There was no claim reported as on 19/5/15 XX time. The insurer is hereby entitled to a 50% Bonus
The NCB will be available within 3 years from 21/11/15"

I am taking the insurance from Vinayak Skoda to avoid headache in claims and paying the 96719 /- (insurance plus drive assure)
I was told by the SA (insurance head at Vinayak) that after NCB it would cost me 63207 /-
Can someone help with how much NCB I should be getting and on what value the NCB applied (what percentage should I be getting as NCB)
Also the SA told me that I would have to pay the full amount now and wait for a NCB refund cheque. I have not agreed and requested for a new performa invoice and said that I will pay the discounted value. Am I doing the right thing?

I was slightly taken aback when the dealer told me the car should be at the stockyard anytime (last week there was no car and still a zeal was assumed sometime now) and that its somewhere around the city (I believe it is already in stock and maybe getting delivered someones cancelled car) Extra care for PDI maybe now any tips
I need to be extra careful this time after my previous Skoda Fabia lemon.
I plan to visit the location and check on the vehicle today, but any specific details to look out for would help.

I have been allotted a VIN number -TMBBDDNE7FA006874 and have searched online but get various engine variants ( 1.6 tsi ) I do understand it is an April 2015 manufactured vehicle after checking the VIN check thread on here. Can anyone get a more detailed VIN check.

Thank you all.
Old 27th May 2015, 09:28   #1781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help with how much NCB I should be getting and on what value the NCB applied (what percentage should I be getting as NCB)
Also the SA told me that I would have to pay the full amount now and wait for a NCB refund cheque. I have not agreed and requested for a new performa invoice and said that I will pay the discounted value. Am I doing the right thing?
Hi, am not a Skoda owner (yet!) so cannot comment on the specific stuff. W.r.t. the insurance NCB, you can definitely ask them to adjust it with the initial payout itself and not wait for a refund cheque. I did it with my VW Polo which I bought concurrently when selling my Getz; it simply needs a bit more paperwork for the showroom insurance fellow.

In my experience, the insurance rep always tries to avoid all this stuff and blandly state, 'not possible'. Everything is possible and if they insist otherwise, ask for it in writing either on their own letterhead or on the insurance company's one. Usually this works :-)

Let us know what happend! I have never claimed (touchwood) in my 15 years of ownership - I now have both my NCBs at the 50% max for the last few years - wish they gave a higher slab for say, 3 years no claim at 50%
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 12:00   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I feel the entry level MB AUDI BMW JAG etc are more a teaser of the brand (no doubt the new C class is a great car). The next class - E, 5 series, A6 are highly overpriced and the octavia has most of the Kit for half or 1/3 the cost.

But what about the sunroof is it a design flaw? The mirrors making noise and a list of flaws that members have experienced (I would have loved the proven 6 speed DSG) this is more an experimental box that will move to other cars after being tested by us?
Does the A3 petrol have the same DSG as 1.8 TSi?
Does it consume a whole tank of oil in the first 1000 kms, does one need to top of oil if the car is taken for a long trip in its initial days.
First of all, it is not fair to compare the likes of Mercedes Benz C class or similar cars to the Octavia. Although I am a huge fan of the Octy, I believe that the higher segment cars are always a notch above! They are well worth their prices and especially if you can haggle a great deal! Now that the cars have started to get localised to extents of 60-70%, I have started to have doubts about the quality of the build and overall interior quality. But having driven almost all but the new C class, I feel these high segment cars are way sweeter to own upwards of 35 lacs price bracket.

Coming to your original decision for the Octavia 1.8 TSI, it is largely trouble free.
If you check my initial ownership thread, you will see that besides the initial fuel pump failure, and the noises from the ORVM and sunroof, I have no other mechanical issues to report.
I have driven the car for more than 38000 kms now. The car has the ability to mask speed on the highway. You will not feel you're doing 100 until you see the speedometer. Although I have noticed that the speedometer is not accurate. 100km/h on the speedo is actually around 90 km/h.
The sunroof is not a design flaw but its not well homologated for Indian conditions. If you live in a dusty environment, you will experience the noise for sure. If you always keep your car in a covered parking or a basement, then it should not crop up real soon.

Same goes for the ORVM. I recently opened the ORVM cover to discover so much of dust stuck on the inside that I don't know what do I use to clean it. I am afraid I will mess up something so will leave it to the dealer.

The DSG DQ200 is not a test mule. It is an old and tested transmission being used by VW since years in different conditions on different cars. It is a very good combination because there is more than enough torque from the very low end all the way to the red line. People have successfully remapped the new Octy with 1.8 TSI DSG7 combo and they don't face any problems up to 325 nm of torque. 250 nm quoted by Skoda is a safe mark which they standardise across all transmissions for safety. But if you go to a trusted and experienced tuner, you will be pleasantly surprised seeing what the gearbox can actually handle.

Finally, no, the car will not drink up any oil abnormally. I have never topped up oil in between service intervals. Only once I had a feeling that the level is low, so i topped up 100 ml myself.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 13:25   #1783
BHPian

Thanks for the replies fellow members.

I received a call this morning and was told by the SA that if I wait for a week they can give me a Zeal Edition. They said it was in Hyderabad and had to be brought (transported) to Bangalore. I had sent a long mail to SKIN (skoda India) could this be the reason? I have already waited for a month now confused. Will check the beige interior once at stockyard and take a call.
Old 27th May 2015, 14:53   #1784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Kapiljolly has a Zeal edition as well. Photos and some posts in previous pages of this thread.

If you beat him to a ownership report then yours would be the first.

Make sure you take loads of high quality pics of the interiors.
Hahahhaahha. He is most welcome. I dont intend on doing the ownership thread yet.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:39   #1785
BHPian

Ok. I have a few pics I took on a drive out on the highway recently. The car performed flawlessly and returned exceptional fuel economy. Keep an eye on the fuel guage too because the kms kept lapping up and generally I get much lower readings in city with a similar reading from the fuel guage. Topped up once I got back and averaged an actual 15.7kmpl. Not bad at all for the 1.8 tsi. Average km/h readout from the car was 43km/h. City average readouts are 24 to 27 km/h and averages about 10 to 11.5kmpl.

Had I stayed on the highway till I emptied out the tank, I presume I would be able to juice out 17kmpl for sure. But i still think thats good for a petrol engine of this tune and power.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-3.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-4.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-5.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-6.jpg  

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 27th May 2015 at 15:43.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks