Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 12:04   #6451
BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Hello guys!

This question is on behalf of a friend. He owns a 2017 Honda City VX CVT.

Will 16 inch 7J/7.5J rims with stock tyre specs(185/55 R16) scrape the rear wheel arches on potholes? The stock alloy spec being 16 inch 6J.

Also, will there be any significant difference if he upsizes to 195 section tyres from stock 185 tyres? His main concern is regarding comfort, as the suspension is a bit on the stiffer side.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th April 2019, 13:16   #6452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post
Hello guys!

This question is on behalf of a friend. He owns a 2017 Honda City VX CVT.

Will 16 inch 7J/7.5J rims with stock tyre specs(185/55 R16) scrape the rear wheel arches on potholes? The stock alloy spec being 16 inch 6J.

Also, will there be any significant difference if he upsizes to 195 section tyres from stock 185 tyres? His main concern is regarding comfort, as the suspension is a bit on the stiffer side.

Thanks in advance.
I have very recently upsized from 175 to 195/60 R15 Michelin Primacy 4ST tires. The difference is pretty tangible and the ride comfort has definitely become better. It is still on the stiffer side, but road imperfections and portholes are handled pretty well, much better than the stock tires.

Also, with 195 section tires, braking performance increases (though the City already has good brakes). If you want to improve ride quality, you need to change to slightly softer rubber, like what the Michelins offer.
Old 10th April 2019, 20:40   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
From now, every service will be at a 12 month interval.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

EDIT:

Now i am confused !!
Sorry for that, it was a typo - I meant to say every 6 months from now on
Old 10th April 2019, 20:48   #6454
BHPian

Finally, my white City CVT is home. It's amazing how a shiny new car makes you conscious of speed breakers, haphazardly parked bikes and all other imperfections of traffic.

Took the family for a quick ride in the evening and the traffic was slow-moving with lots of stops and starts (around 10-15 kmph for about 5kms). After coming back home decided to take out the ribbon from the bonnet and found it to be quite hot... Do CVTs run hotter than MTs? I didn't see any temperature warning pop up, and the fan also started when I was about to park - but with absence of temperature gauge, it's difficult to say how hot it was.

Was tempted to do a comparison - so repeated the same route with the good old Ritz. As luck would have it, the traffic had eased out a bit by the time I got out with the Ritz. But still, when I returned home the bonnet was nowhere as hot as the city - it wasn't even warm.. When I opened the bonnet, the engine was quite hot - but perhaps the shape of the Ritz engine bay is such that bonnet is far from the engine so doesn't become hot to touch.

And, happened to notice that the coolant tank level in the City was above Max - is that okay? Or, are we supposed to wait for engine to cool down completely before checking the coolant levels in the reservoir tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post

Please don't use 185 wide tyre on a 7J rim. It is wrong, please refer to the table in this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post2455265 (Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!)

If your prime requirement is comfort (and aesthetics are not important), the right choice would be 15-inch wheels with soft compound tyres.

Last edited by Su-47 : 10th April 2019 at 21:10.
Old 11th April 2019, 09:14   #6455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Finally, my white City CVT is home. It's amazing how a shiny new car makes you conscious of speed breakers, haphazardly parked bikes and all other imperfections of traffic.

After coming back home decided to take out the ribbon from the bonnet and found it to be quite hot... Do CVTs run hotter than MTs?

And, happened to notice that the coolant tank level in the City was above Max - is that okay? Or, are we supposed to wait for engine to cool down completely before checking the coolant levels in the reservoir tank?
Congratulations. Which variant did you pick up, V or ZX? Which dealer did you purchase from? For sure, you will be much more wary of crazy and indisciplined bikers on Bangaore roads, as well as errant auto and mini truck drivers I am facing the very same issue. When I get behind the wheel of my Brio after driving the City, I zip through traffic so much more nonchalantly! Do post some pics of your shiny new ride. How do you find the performance and smoothness of the engine to be?

The bonnet of the City does get quite hot after a traffic run, whether its MT or AT. Don't break your head over it. It is the normal course of things. I don't think its a sign of overheating.

The coolant level in my car is between the Min and Max marks. Perhaps you can re-check once the car is parked and has cooled down.

Finally, what is the discount that you got - mind sharing? The mouth watering prices have resulted in a spate of BHPians bringing the City home this quarter. Already 4 on this very thread. There is yet another BHPian in Bangalore who is on the verge of closing a deal with the same guys I purchased my City from. Will wait for him to make the announcement at the appropriate time!

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 11th April 2019 at 09:18.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 10:57   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, my white City CVT is home. It's amazing how a shiny new car makes you conscious of speed breakers, haphazardly parked bikes and all other imperfections of traffic. .........
Congratulations on the new buy

Don't worry about it. I too had the same thought when I got mine in March 2017 and like you my other car was a Ritz Zxi (2014). The sheet metal of the Ritz is also thicker I guess. As long as the engine overheat indicator is not lighting up you are good to go. I never had any issues till I sold off the car last year and 16k kms.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2019 at 18:38. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2019, 11:12   #6457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congratulations. Which variant did you pick up, V or ZX? Which dealer did you purchase from?....
I picked up the V variant - slight reduction in headroom with sunroof being the deciding factor. Guess it will take a while before the dimensions of the City become second-nature like it did for the Ritz.

Haven't pushed it hard to comment on performance as I believe in a bit of old fashioned "running in". Smoothness is great - but if you switch off the radio and pay attention it is clear that the CVT is somewhat noisier than MT. On the positive side, it appears that the cruising RPM may be slightly lower than MT.

I booked with Dakshin Honda - and the best I could extract was a discount of 1.1L. Tried talking to other dealers as well, but none of them were willing to do better than that. I might have been able to save a bit more by being patient and haggling more, but thought it would be better to get the car in the Ugadi week :-)

Thanks for confirming that the City bonnet gets hot in traffic and there is nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Don't worry about it. I too had the same thought when I got mine in March 2017 and like you my other car was a Ritz Zxi (2014). The sheet metal of the Ritz is also thicker I guess. As long as the engine overheat indicator is not lighting up you are good to go.
Thank you, it helps to know that others have noticed the same thing.

Sometime back, a friend (who is very good with cars and mechanical things in general) happened to mention - "Being excessively observant and having too much of mechanical empathy can prevent you from enjoying things". So true, isn't it?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2019 at 18:38. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 11th April 2019, 12:36   #6458
mxh
BHPian

I am not in favour of removing the temerature guage. The dashboard lights come on in extreme conditions; by then failure has occurred and expensive part replacement is the only option. Another thing lacking in modern cars is the ability to check the transmission oil. There is no dipstick, and it requires an expert to even know what is the level. Not to mention the process to replace the transmission oil.

To know the exact temperature you can buy an OBD reader, it gives you access to some of the parameters though it's nowhere near what can be diagnosed by the computer at the ASS
Old 11th April 2019, 14:39   #6459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime back, a friend (who is very good with cars and mechanical things in general) happened to mention - "Being excessively observant and having too much of mechanical empathy can prevent you from enjoying things". So true, isn't it?
Oh yes ! I am very paranoid when it comes to cars. The vehicle I replaced the City was a Laura Tsi which was lying in my hometown, stretching my paranoia to the limit. Changed so many things thinking it may fail even though the car didnt show any signs of it.

However saying that, don't worry when its a Honda !! It's super reliable.
Old 11th April 2019, 22:46   #6460
BHPian

Quote:
I have installed the illuminated door sills as well as part of my free accessories offer, they look fab - especially at night. Good choice of accessory. I had mine installed before the delivery itself. Also opted for the Honda body cover, set of rear seat pillows and wi-fi dongle. All the other accessories appeared quite useless for me.
Can you share pic of these door sill accessories?
I am going to get it installed over the weekend. Plus I have asked for a cover as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheknandan View Post
I then tried adjusting the seats to get to the optimum height and the steering wheel at a length where my driving posture is the best with shoulders planted on the seats while my arms have a firm grip of the steering wheel.
Finally closer to finding better position. Took me couple of days and possibly a day or two more will take me there. It was surely horrible for first couple of days.
Old 12th April 2019, 11:29   #6461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
To know the exact temperature you can buy an OBD reader, it gives you access to some of the parameters though it's nowhere near what can be diagnosed by the computer at the ASS
Any recommendations on which one to buy? Asking because tbhp advice is better than random reviews on Amazon..
Old 12th April 2019, 13:15   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Can you share pic of these door sill accessories?
I am going to get it installed over the weekend. Plus I have asked for a cover as well .
Here is the pic. Ignore the resolution since it was taken in the dark on a phone cam. It looks pretty sweet though ! Very neatly installed by the dealer as well. Of course, this serves no utilitarian purpose, other than looking good, especially at night.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-_img_000000_000000.jpg  

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th April 2019 at 13:17.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 15:38   #6463
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the pic.
Looks great! Was wondering how much it costs ? Would be much appreciated if you could post or pm me the price.

Thanks,

Btw, haven't you removed the seat plastic cover yet ?
Old 12th April 2019, 15:56   #6464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Looks great! Was wondering how much it costs ? Would be much appreciated if you could post or pm me the price.

Btw, haven't you removed the seat plastic cover yet ?
The illuminated door plates cost around Rs. 5800 for the complete set (all four doors), including installation and taxes. The price is same across all Honda dealers in Bangalore. Its a rip off, of course, but it was included in my offer of Rs. 10,000 accessories free. Most of the other accessories were of no interest to me, so I opted for these.

This pic was taken on the delivery day, so the plastic seat covers are still on in this pic.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th April 2019 at 16:23.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2019, 18:53   #6465
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the pic. Ignore the resolution since it was taken in the dark on a phone cam. It looks pretty sweet though ! Very neatly installed by the dealer as well. Of course, this serves no utilitarian purpose, other than looking good, especially at night.
Looks nice. Please do share the link for car floor mats too. I have seen quote a few but as you are already using one so would be better feedback for those from you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks