Team-BHP - Tata Zest : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Zest : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/153946-tata-zest-official-review-25.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 3504111)
How many Tata cars have you seen in black? Seems like black doesn't find the favor with TML management. Does anyone has a pic of grey color as i am yet to see one?

Remember there was a brilliant Matt Black Tata Zest at Auto Expo. I suspect they are holding this back for a 'special edition' or premium run later down the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 3504111)
How many Tata cars have you seen in black?

If you mean that Tata doesn't offer Black as an option in their vehicle range, then that's not the case. Safari, Storme, Aria and Xenon are available in Black. Indica Xeta also used to come in Black (a friend owns one).

If you mean not many people opt for Black, then you are right :)

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3504118)
Remember there was a brilliant Matt Black Tata Zest at Auto Expo. I suspect they are holding this back for a 'special edition' or premium run later down the line.

Can't recall it but yes you might be right. They introduced new colors in Manza too when club class and other editions were launched.

@Comfortablynumb - I meant people don't buy Tata cars in black. I have seen a black manza too.

Perfect pricing by Tata to take on the competition.
Hope Zest bring volumes to the Tatas to reclaim their position in the pecking order.

Like the Tata Zest XMA Diesel but waiting for the mileage figures to be announced.

Tata has done very well with the variants and features provided in Zest.

Over all happy with Zest, but will wait for little more to take the plunge.

Regards,
Arun

Wow! What a pricing. I love the fact that Tata Motors has been generous enough with the features across all variants.

How many manufacturers can we think of who offer following features in their base variant?
-Alloy wheels
-LED tail lamps
-Body color ORVMs
-Chrome front grill
-ORVM with LED indicators

This is a Zestabulous!

Another piece which I love about the pricing is that as compared to XM, in XMS you get
-Driver and passenger airbag
-Front seat belts with pre-tensioner and load limiter
-Height adjustable driver seat

All this for a price difference of only INR 18,000. I think at such a small price difference, most of the buyers considering XM should go for XMS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3504118)

I guess that was a Matte Grey one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 3504127)

@Comfortablynumb - I meant people don't buy Tata cars in black. I have seen a black manza too.

I never noticed that. But this design deserved a black tone, if the Manza and Aria and Storme still have the option, why leave the Zest out??

I thought White and Black are two given default colors to any car whereas the rest are interchangeable. stupid:

The feature list on that brochure looks like a typo. That's how unbelievably kitted the Zest is. clap:

I was more or less expecting a great price in this age of introductory prices and given the fact that there is a lot riding on the Zest for Tata. So, that was not much of a surprise, but the feature list is. Wow!

In addition to it's immense VFM pricing and plenty of segment-leading features, the Tata Zest also has the added advantage of service intervals at every 15,000 kms.

Tata Motors' Vice-President Girish Wagh speaks to Autocar Professional:

Quote:

Can you elaborate on the engineering efforts that went into the Tata Zest?
- First, of the entire service interval, which is today around 10,000km, we are increasing it to 15,000km. Essentially, the life of the engine oil and trans-axle oil increases. Not only 15,000km but in multiples of 15,000km, there are some consumables and wearable parts that need to be checked. The coolant life has been upped to 60,000km. These are some consumables where we have increased the life. As a result, the cost to the consumer is less. We have worked to lower the total cost of ownership or TCO.

How does the Zest fare in total cost of ownership versus the competition?
- We want to be amongst the leaders. We have always been known for good cost of ownership. Here we have decided to be amongst the leaders in cost of operation and have achieved it.
SOURCE - Autocar Professional

Great Pricing from TATA.

Here's the feature difference between XM & XMS with respective cost difference.

Tata Zest : Official Review-xm-xms.jpg

Here's the feature difference between XMS & top-end (XT) with respective cost difference.

Tata Zest : Official Review-xms-xt.jpg

Note: I did not bother about XE as there are lot feature differences between the base (XE) & the XM variant.

My manager had already booked the AMT version but today he got a call from the dealer from Thane that the Automatic Diesel version will not be launched this month, possibly by December :Shockked: . This month only manual versions will be launched.

Now, I am not sure if the dealer is misleading him, but has anyone got the same update ? If it is true, why is Tata doing this ? Personally, I feel the time was ripe to launch the Diesel AMT.

Wow. After first saying that for the car itself, now I have to say it again for the pricing. Absolutely amazing pricing. Really praying hard that this car helps Tata regain the lost ground and become a major player again. The pricing makes cars like grand i10 seem overpriced now. Hats off to them.

Unheard of features at this price point - simply wow pricing from TATA.
I see one new TATA dealership coming up on my daily commute route, shall try for a TD of the diesel AT if possible.

PS - an XTA with full features should be launched, not priced more than 7.49 L.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiInJa (Post 3504216)
Now, I am not sure if the dealer is misleading him, but has anyone got the same update? If it is true, why is Tata doing this? Personally, I feel the time was ripe to launch the Diesel AMT.

Already sales generally aren't good for Tata currently, why would they want to lose a protective vision er to Maruti, Hyundai or Honda?! They need to grab and hold onto as many customers they can rope in, else making the mall in the industry with current situation is difficult.

The AMT version may take time get ready for its components etc so the time frame is longer than an MT version. IIRC, same was the situation when Celerio was launched. Maruti was trying to market and sell the MT more rather than AMT due to constraints in procurement of the AMT unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 3504222)
The pricing makes cars like grand i10 seem overpriced now. Hats off to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 3504230)
PS - an XTA with full features should be launched, not priced more than 7.49 L

Spot-on drmohitg.

Now all I can see is competitors doing something or the other to keep their hold onto the sales. Maruti better act now before or gets late.

Many here would say nothing can dent the sales of the Swift and Swift Dzire, but Street seeing the reviews I seriously hope Maruti does wake up. The Swift duo needs something strong a change (external and internal) to survive.

Anurag.

Had a chat today with my local dealer and came to know that only manual tranny will be available for now,no time frame on AMT.
And also he said that the pricing of the manual diesel top end and the AMT diesel mid variant will be the same.
So maybe AMT won't be available in the top end guise,though he is not sure but he hinted that this may be the case!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 3503413)
According to someone I know from industry, it is not coming before the onset of 2015.

Tata has immense production lines free. They have scope in the Ranjangaon plant as of now, as the Vista and Manza are only produced 5.5k per month. That leaves them with atleast 30-40 k per month capacity free

The Gujrat plant is ideally 100% free with Nano doing 1k per month.

Zest initial response will be seen and then ideally the Zest will be launced during Dushera. That has been the trend with Tata motors. Let's see what they do.

Logically they should launch it within a month.