Team-BHP - Tata Zest : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Zest : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/153946-tata-zest-official-review-27.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by directinjection (Post 3504396)
Only the top end model comes with a boot lamp!

You can always carry a torch :p

First thing I noticed when comparing variants. It's plain ridiculous to omit such an important aspect in a car. It's a not a feature but a basic necessity. Hope someone in TML rectifies it sooner.

I was expecting a full page ad of Zest today in leading news paper and was disappointed. Other than small coverage by the news paper that too no information other than price. What kind of marketing strategy is this?

Better would be showing different features with striking pictures, without mentioning car or brand on front page, and revealing the striking blue Zest on other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiInJa (Post 3504216)
My manager had already booked the AMT version but today he got a call from the dealer from Thane that the Automatic Diesel version will not be launched this month, possibly by December :Shockked: . This month only manual versions will be launched.

Now, I am not sure if the dealer is misleading him, but has anyone got the same update ? If it is true, why is Tata doing this ? Personally, I feel the time was ripe to launch the Diesel AMT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 3504240)
Already sales generally aren't good for Tata currently, why would they want to lose a protective vision er to Maruti, Hyundai or Honda?! They need to grab and hold onto as many customers they can rope in, else making the mall in the industry with current situation is difficult.

The AMT version may take time get ready for its components etc so the time frame is longer than an MT version. IIRC, same was the situation when Celerio was launched. Maruti was trying to market and sell the MT more rather than AMT due to constraints in procurement of the AMT unit.

I called up Tejaswi Motors, Hyderabad and the SA confirmed that all the variants (including the AMT one) are going to be delivered. He did not give a specific time-frame, but mentioned that deliveries for all variants by September 1st week is a realistic target. @ Ninja, I believe the dealer is misleading your manager based on what I heard from my SA.

Thanks
Badri

The website isn't very helpful, the Variants page doesn't switch to other options i.e. 'Comfort', 'Exteriors', 'Interiors' etc. And the interface doesn't look impressive. The brochure has it clearly though.

They really could get someone from TCS to make that section of the website better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3504402)
Guys, I tried to browse the Zest official website and also searched the brochure, but nowhere could I find the standard company warranty (in terms of years and kms). Can someone please throw some light on what is the standard company warranty and extended warranty on offer? Alternatively please guide me to the post in this thread if it has been already shared earlier...

Theres a 3 year warranty for both the Quadrajet & Revotron. Upto how many kms? I don't think they've mentioned that anywhere as yet, but I guess its the standard 1lakh km. 3YR Maintenance is also mentioned, but no details yet.

There is NO Extended warranty. I hoped they'll give EW atleast to show confidence in the Revotron.

Its only there in the Bottom Left of the Index(1st) page.
Edit : Its on the bottom left side before scrolling the page.

Post EDITED: Fixing Quotes, please use Preview before Posting. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3504485)
The website isn't very helpful, the Variants page doesn't switch to other options i.e. 'Comfort', 'Exteriors', 'Interiors' etc. And the interface doesn't look impressive. The brochure has it clearly though.

It seems like a browser issue, I had similar issue with IE, and when I switched to Chrome, it worked fine. Try switching the browser.

True, the design could have been made more user-friendly. e.g I tried to look up the prices for Bangalore, the Variants listed are all jumbled up without any sequencing, creating confusion.

Tata has done the pricing correct this time clap: . Now Zest is the cheapest sub four meter sedan in India and definitely not looking cheap like Amaze. Good job Tata. If the quality is good and ASS issues are sorted out, this product can bring in volumes for Tata.

Super Duper Pricing by Tata for Zest.

Very cleverly executed as well to announce it a day after the i20 launch.

Zest is clearly a winner for TML and expect to see a lot of them on the roads.

It has been ages since we got a hot product from TML though the Manza did sell some nos. at the start.

Zest has a lot going for it and now with the pricing a lot of cars should be worried:

Popular cars(including hatchbacks as Zest can be availed at a nominal stretch now) :
1) Swift Dzire and maybe even the Swift VDi/ZDi
2) Grand i10 CRDi(Sportz and above)
3) Figo TDci Titanium
4) Xcent
5) Amaze(this is likely to be the most hit)

Non Existent/Low selling but likely to be affected:
1) Etios
2) Sail may be annihilated if they are still selling '-)
3) Punto
4) Manza(twin may lose some sales owing to the newer product)
5) Classic

If I was Hyundai or Honda, I would watch the space very very closely.
And be worried!!

Once again, a great Independence day treat by TML.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajay_satpute (Post 3504335)
I saw the Zest at 8 AM at Pandit showroom today. It looked really good in the beige shade. clap: Even next to the Safari Storme in superb silver shade, the Zest was holding its fort really confidently. I guess by today evening, lot of people will be flocking the showrooms to have a look or book the car.

Ajay, where has the Pandit showroom shifted from Tilak road? The one next to Bharat petrol pump is dealing in small CV's.

Nikhil

I am really not convinced with this capacity argument. As many members have mentioned, isnt TML running at a very low capacity utilisation ? In that case isnt it prudent to attack the market quickly with Zest and Bolt ?

Or maybe, I feel, TML feels that the Zest pricing is so good that it could even swing over some potential hatchback buyers ( Swift/i10 Grande market ). This could be a plausible scenario as well.

But where does that leave the Bolt in terms of pricing ? Using the Zest as a yardstick, the Bolt pricing should be absolutely drool worthy but if the Zest does exceedingly well, TML might even hike the prices of the Zest and bring in the Bolt at these prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsbhagwat (Post 3504520)
Ajay, where has the Pandit showroom shifted from Tilak road? The one next to Bharat petrol pump is dealing in small CV's.

Nikhil

The Pandit showroom is now on the Law College Road. When you join the Law college road from SNDT side, its on the right side.

Here's the address on the website: http://panditauto.com/?q=node/804

:Shockked: This is amazing pricing from TATA. Once again, they've proved how others are grossly overpriced, including hatches. If the Zest can stand the test of quality, this should surely erode the tarnished image of earlier TATA products.

All said and done, what would be the long term reliability of the petrol engine, given it's the same block as earstwhile Xeta's?

Is the Xeta engine as reliable and refined in the long term as the japanese/korean counterparts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoIndian (Post 3504402)
Guys, I tried to browse the Zest official website and also searched the brochure, but nowhere could I find the standard company warranty (in terms of years and kms). Can someone please throw some light on what is the standard company warranty and extended warranty on offer? Alternatively please guide me to the post in this thread if it has been already shared earlier.

1) Link to warranty details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3503595

Cross posting from the Official review - Other Points:

Quote:

Tata is offering what they call '333 Confidence'. This includes warranty for 3 years / 100,000 kms, an Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC) of 3 years / 45000 kms and free 24x7 roadside assistance for 3 years.
Hope it helps,

Anurag

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnabchak (Post 3504509)
If I was Hyundai or Honda, I would watch the space very very closely.
And be worried!!

Honda I think would be the hardest hit. With them prioritizing Mobilio, Zest would make a dent in Amaze sales. Tata should really capitalize this and get the Zest deliveries underway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCEite (Post 3504591)
All said and done, what would be the long term reliability of the petrol engine, given it's the same block as earstwhile Xeta's?

Is the Xeta engine as reliable and refined in the long term as the japanese/korean counterparts?

Very few cars with Xeta engine would have been sold so very difficult to make a comprehensive judgement but you should note that the block was common for petrol and diesel engines ( I recall reading this somewhere ).

Also I would not club together Jap and Korean reliability in 1 category. The Japs are leagues ahead and my view is that Korean engines will start throwing up bills post 80-100k ( I have no data to back this but this is purely based on what I have heard and read over the years )