Team-BHP - Tata Zest : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Zest : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/153946-tata-zest-official-review-23.html)

Now that the FE figures have been officially released, could the mods possibly tell us the FE their test drive cars returned? This will help, since FE is a key consideration for me and we have no reliable numbers from reviews out there (I read about 7 kmpl/ petrol in a short review somewhere else, and 7 is a deal breaker for me)! Thanks!

Master stroke by Tata. They seem to be keeping every foot in the right spot. I just hope that Tata will offer all sorted cars right from the first one they deliver to a consumer.

Tata have always pioneered trends in the industry, but unfortunately, poor performances of their products in the market (for whatever reason) have neutralized their distinction. For eg. when the Indica was launched way back in '98, all its competitors had puny engines ranging from 800 CC (M800/ Matiz) to a maximum of 999 or 1100 CC (Santro). Tata plonked a 1405CC engine right from the start. The trend was followed by many other manufacturers later. They were also the first to attach a boot to a common front end, thus lowering production costs for a separate sedan. That too is a trend until now. They created the sub-4m sedan segment, which is a hot market now.

Just hope that the Zest gets its share of market it deserves.

The pricing seems decent considering the kit on offer especially when pitted against the Hyundai Elite i20 or even the VW Polo . And as GrammerNazi rightly put it if the price were any lower it would be negative on TATA as a brand. Now all that's left to see is how they fare in After sales service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3503707)
IMO they've also lost a good chance of showing confidence in the in-house developed Revotron Petrol by NOT offering any additional-warranty post the initial 3 years.

Even Fiat gives 3 years warranty + 2 years Extended warranty.

Additional Warranty typically covers the engine plus a host of other parts in the vehicle, isn't it?

I feel, other than compact sedan, the hatchbacks will also face stiff competition from the Zest. Have a look at the comparison sheet I'm compiling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3503684)
Forget that, I booked the car before I even SAW it the first time :) thats how confident & excited I am about Tata Zest. The TD I took a week AFTER booking confirmed my decision & today's launch sealed it.

Wow, that's quite a different change of opinion with respect to Tata. Even I had waited for 6 months post the Manza came out to buy it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMeMyself (Post 3503729)
Now that the FE figures have been officially released, could the mods possibly tell us the FE their test drive cars returned? This will help, since FE is a key consideration for me and we have no reliable numbers from reviews out there (I read about 7 kmpl/ petrol in a short review somewhere else, and 7 is a deal breaker for me)! Thanks!

Since the ARAI figures for Revotron petrol is at 18 kmpl, I expect real life FE to be around 12-13 kmpl. Similar to Amaze/Dzire petrol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3503751)
Since the ARAI figures for Revotron petrol is at 18 kmpl, I expect real life FE to be around 12-13 kmpl. Similar to Amaze/Dzire petrol.

I believe that Revotron engines will deliver better FE, especially in city, due to available torque at lower rpm. Drivability and FE were the features highlighted and marketed by Tata (rather than outright performance) for Revotron.
Regards
JLS

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 3503356)
I scored 2000 points in the challengenext competition, with 3 minutes to spare. It took me to a new window and asked me to enter my email address to proceed and then nothing happened.

Same here. I scored 2000 with 2+ minutes still to go.

It takes to this screen.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 4906
Size:  88.0 KB

After providing email address, nothing happens. Neither I received any email from them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS (Post 3503759)
I believe that Revotron engines will deliver better FE, especially in city, due to available torque at lower rpm. Drivability and FE were the features highlighted and marketed by Tata (rather than outright performance) for Revotron.
JLS

Possibly, I was referring to my own use in Mumbai, heavy traffic, usually in City mode, 80% AC. With 80% city & 20% highway driving. I also drive with a heavy, impatient foot.

Those who comfortably cruise with Economy mode on will get at least 2-3 kmpl more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skumare (Post 3503745)
Additional Warranty typically covers the engine plus a host of other parts in the vehicle, isn't it?

Everything is covered for an additional cost (viz usually Nominal).

Ex.
Fiat gives 3Y/1L km warranty, PLUS, it offers 2Y/50k km warranty at an additional cost.

I mentioned Fiat because their 1.4T-Jet was the first Turbo-Petrol in India in its segment. Revotron is the first In-House developed, water cooled, turbo-petrol in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3503751)

Firstly, congos!
I expect Revotron to be capable not only of phenomenal mileage, but also exceptional performance given the 140NM of Torque being similar to Honda's 1.5iVtec output.

IMO The idea of turbocharging the Xeta-Petrol is simply genius.

I was really looking forward to the XMA variant after reading the detailed review of the Zest over here. But, now that everyone is saying that it won't have the safety features and other bits missing, I am really in two minds with the AMt model.

But I am going for a TD this Friday, as I am looking for a replacement for my ageing Indica Xeta GLG model, and I am 90% sure that it would be replaced with the Zest and that too by this weekend :)

Stellar pricing by TATA clap:

While I participated in challenge next, scored 1600 points and shared it on my FB wall. It's now asking me to answer below question

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3503781)
Firstly, congos!
I expect Revotron to be capable not only of phenomenal mileage, but also exceptional performance given the 140NM of Torque being similar to Honda's 1.5iVtec output.

IMO The idea of turbocharging the Xeta-Petrol is simply genius.

I hope you are right, I have already booked a Zest Revotron. For me 12-13 kmpl in Mumbai traffic is good enough, anything more is a bonus.

To be honest, NOT many who want to have an Elite i20 or Polo would look at this car I believe. Anybody who looks at the other hatch / compact sedan products would be giving this a more serious thought is my take.

TATA showing some comparo charts in the print ads would be a cherry on top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by //M (Post 3503608)
Source: ...

BRILLIANT! They got the product completely alright. Brand perception, pre-sales and post-sales to follow! Get that right please and TATA, you are back in the game. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsurya (Post 3503699)
...I am going for top end XT & either Blue or Red, but havent seen how the Grey looks.

If I may suggest, please go for Blue. That Red will look good on hatches (Swift, Polo etc) and NOT on a sedan (Rapid, Vento, Dzire, SX4 etc). Having seen both red & blue in person, Blue simply is stunning.

Quote:

...Spending 20-30k extra now will ensure people cannot acclaim deficiency in service experience to be due to the lower Brand value. (NO offense, but you're NOT buying a *Low Cost Brand Name Here*, you're buying a TATA.)..

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiedriver (Post 3503740)
...And as GrammerNazi rightly put it if the price were any lower it would be negative on TATA as a brand...

Sorry, but what's TATA's current reputation in the <10L segment today? It's called a taxi brand. It's neither great in the 10L+ segment, but Safari has it's own reputation as a saving grace.

Quote:

...That said, IMO they've also lost a good chance of showing confidence in the in-house developed Revotron Petrol by NOT offering any additional-warranty post the initial 3 years...

I would any day buy a car with a higher warranty period. That way a company shows their faith in the product. Nobody would want to offer a 5 year warranty on a product if it fails too often after 3 years. That's a loss for the company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessie007 (Post 3503748)
I feel, other than compact sedan, the hatchbacks will also face stiff competition from the Zest. Have a look at the comparison sheet I'm compiling:

This chart brings out the beauty of the pricing! This thing (XMS variant) is so bl**dy close to the Swift top end variants.

Edit:: Just wondering; what's Bolt gonna do to the hatchbacks with it's pricing!!!