Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 14:30   #1576
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Oh, my bad!! Sorry I got confused.

I think this makes sense now. By the way, how accurate are these voice commands? Are they useful in picking up voices or require speaking like a robot?
it works pretty well .. i use it to call people, change ac temperature and song names / album names. btw, i work for the company that provides speech recognition component
Old 26th December 2014, 14:46   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
it works pretty well .. i use it to call people, change ac temperature and song names / album names. btw, i work for the company that provides speech recognition component
You are disqualified then for using cheat codes!!

And my parents just tested the bluetooth sync and called me. They were able to hear me fine and even I heard them loud and clear.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 16:44   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
... btw, i work for the company that provides speech recognition component
Superb !

I have booked XMS. Voice commands are not part of XMS, only on XT. Is there anyway to induce this mechanism in XMS ?

---

Also, I followed the discussion on seat covers. But now I am confused. Which one are the slip-on covers ? Those that the dealers sell or the ones that are available aftermarket ? I understood that the slip-ons were better because they didnt require seats removal. Am I highly confused ?

Btw, I am able to see that there are few seat covers available even online - at many sites. Any comment on them ?
Old 26th December 2014, 21:19   #1579
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Is revotron blowing hot air and ac vents getting heated up when ac is not switched on ?
How many temperature bars are being displayed when revotron reaches optimum temperature ?
I would like to ask these questions to Zest RT owners. Anybody facing such scenarios !!!!.
Old 26th December 2014, 21:52   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car and Zest is a car with premium price for the white color unlike other manufacturers whose white colored cars cost lesser.

Quote:
The dashboard layout is perfect and everything falls in place nicely. However, no less than 5 minutes out of showroom and I observed a huge blunder. The steering volume controls are on left of steering.
I usually drive while always holding the gear stalk with left palm and holding steering with right palm, except on highways where I stay in top gear for long. If I have to change volume, I have to leave the gear stalk, move my hand to grab the steering and then change volume. All this while my right hand is doing nothing.
Many cars have volume control on the left side of the steering in the straight ahead position. But what is debatable is the resting of the left hand on the gear lever almost always. Many of my friends do this and I have been critical of their this habit

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th December 2014 at 21:55.
Old 27th December 2014, 13:06   #1581
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the car. Have a enjoyable ownership of the TBHP COTY-14.

Quote:
3. The dashboard layout is perfect and everything falls in place nicely. However, no less than 5 minutes out of showroom and I observed a huge blunder. The steering volume controls are on left of steering.
Hmmm...means a perfect setting to alter your driving style. As the rule book says
Old 27th December 2014, 13:34   #1582
BHPian

Hi All, if you know anyone that is undecided/sitting on the fence to make a purchase decision on the Zest, then the time is just right for them, since got to know that alloy wheels will most probably not be a part of standard equipment for any trim other than XT, from Jan, 2015.

Last edited by dkamath : 27th December 2014 at 13:36.
Old 28th December 2014, 02:39   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
...Which one are the slip-on covers ? Those that the dealers sell or the ones that are available aftermarket ? I understood that the slip-ons were better because they didnt require seats removal. Am I highly confused ?...
You will get both types at both places (dealer & aftermarket). The price you are ready to pay gets the type you want. Slip ons will naturally be more expensive than the other. As the norm, if you get the stuff aftermarket, it is bound be cheaper - all parameters remaining the same.
Old 29th December 2014, 10:21   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hello Guys,

Is revotron blowing hot air and ac vents getting heated up when ac is not switched on ?
How many temperature bars are being displayed when revotron reaches optimum temperature ?
I would like to ask these questions to Zest RT owners. Anybody facing such scenarios !!!!.
The temperature indicator in my XT RT shows 2 or 3 bars at max. I have not noticed any hot air coming out of the vents when ac or climate is switched off. But in some situations the climate control will blow hot air from foot vents to maintain temperature.
FYI...i have just completed a 1200 kms journey from my hometown in UP to pune. Loved it
Old 29th December 2014, 13:09   #1585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

If the AC is off and the blower is switched on, it will give warm air ( warmed up by the radiator) . Is this what you are talking about? Most car heaters function like this.
Old 29th December 2014, 13:54   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
What you are saying is that hot air is blowing with AC off but with blower on? If so, you should note that the heater function works independant of the AC switch in TATA cars. If you want just the blower to be on without the cooling function, then set the temp knob at the coolest level. This should sort out the heating issue.

This is a design flaw in the ACs of TATA cars. This is prevalent in the Manza and Vista as well.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:25   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
What you are saying is that hot air is blowing with AC off but with blower on? If so, you should note that the heater function works independant of the AC switch in TATA cars. If you want just the blower to be on without the cooling function, then set the temp knob at the coolest level. This should sort out the heating issue.

This is a design flaw in the ACs of TATA cars. This is prevalent in the Manza and Vista as well.
This is present in most of the cars. I have observed this in my WagonR 1.0 and Estilo 1.1, Spark and Micra. Once you switch off the AC, depending on the position of the thermostat switch, the blowers throw warm to hot air. With the AC on, it controls the coolness of the air. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.
Old 29th December 2014, 14:29   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I usually drive while always holding the gear stalk with left palm and holding steering with right palm, except on highways where I stay in top gear for long. If I have to change volume, I have to leave the gear stalk, move my hand to grab the steering and then change volume. All this while my right hand is doing nothing. I found reaching the console and turning knob to change volume far convenient.
Thanks for the initial experience.

Do note that car manufacturers are spending tons of money to ensure that the drivers' eyes are on the road and hands on the steering wheel. Steering mounted controls can be classified as a safety feature too apart from a convenience feature as it ensures that both hands of the driver are on the wheel while toggling between audio tracks and/or making/receiving calls via bluetooth.

Please ensure that both your hands are on the wheel at all times, be it 10-2 or 9-3 position whichever you are more comfortable with. Yes, initially this driving position might seem a little strange but you will get used to it eventually and you will also be in a position to control your car better. Do go through this thread for reference and benefits of holding the wheel with two hands.

Also, many people say that resting your hand on the gear lever might not be the best practice for the life of your gearbox. I don't know whether it is a myth or not but keeping your left hand on the wheel will ensure you are in better control at all times. Once you adopt this driving habit, you will learn to appreciate the placement of the steering wheel controls.

Wish you many happy and safe miles ahead.
Old 29th December 2014, 15:01   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post

This is not a design flaw. My SX4 as well as Figo HVAC also works in the same fashion.
Old 29th December 2014, 15:43   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
While driving, you are NOT supposed to hold the gear lever. Now, if you want to change the volume, hold on to the same gear till you are done with it, or upshift / downshift one gear and free your hands for volume change.

Imagine you changing the gears and volume (had the buttons been on the right side) at the same time! You hardly have control on the steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Precisely! And I think all cars come with the volume control on the left. My Polo also has the volume controls on the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Many cars have volume control on the left side of the steering in the straight ahead position. But what is debatable is the resting of the left hand on the gear lever almost always. Many of my friends do this and I have been critical of their this habit
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hmmm...means a perfect setting to alter your driving style. As the rule book says
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Thanks for the initial experience.

Do note that car manufacturers are spending tons of money to ensure that the drivers' eyes are on the road and hands on the steering wheel. Steering mounted controls can be classified as a safety feature too apart from a convenience feature as it ensures that both hands of the driver are on the wheel while toggling between audio tracks and/or making/receiving calls via bluetooth.

Please ensure that both your hands are on the wheel at all times, be it 10-2 or 9-3 position whichever you are more comfortable with. Yes, initially this driving position might seem a little strange but you will get used to it eventually and you will also be in a position to control your car better. Do go through this thread for reference and benefits of holding the wheel with two hands.

Also, many people say that resting your hand on the gear lever might not be the best practice for the life of your gearbox. I don't know whether it is a myth or not but keeping your left hand on the wheel will ensure you are in better control at all times. Once you adopt this driving habit, you will learn to appreciate the placement of the steering wheel controls.

Wish you many happy and safe miles ahead.
Big thanks to all you guys for the valuable feedback. Even I strongly recommend practicing safe driving even if not for self but for the safety of others sharing the road. I'll make a point now onwards to hold the steering wheel the correct way and promote the same.

To be honest though, I learnt this wrong method from, guess who, Dominic Toretto and Brian O'Connor!!!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks