Team-BHP - 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165169-2015-tata-safari-storme-official-review-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachelongbow (Post 3739918)
Not required. It most likely is a lack of lubrication, or check if there is water ingress in the handle mechanism. You can try one thing, a generous spray of wd40 in between the handle and the latch mechanism, where the handle is getting stuck. This should solve the issue for now, and you can take it up with TASS when you go for your routine service.

DO NOT spray WD-40.
Its not a lubricant. Its Water Displacement 40. Its good for freeing stuck. Its hygroscopic and will attract dust etc., and also cause rusting. The correct product to use for lubrication is silicon spray or synthetic 0W30 engine oil through a "oiler".

That said, your door latches should not stick like that. Get them replaced(not repaired). Its not an old vehicle, but a brand new one.

Dinesh,

Congrats on your DC. It indeed is a stunner in Urban Bronze. Can't wait to get the keys for my Storme. However, I will have to wait a while longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrishD (Post 3741422)
Same here. I was promised delivery by the 22nd. I have been told the same thing - a lot of demand for 4x4's. Are you in touch with Concorde Motors? I have also been told that my car might move from the factory today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed here

Krish & Libra,

Are you gentlemen also going in gfor 4X4. What are the colors you have opted for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajneeesh (Post 3741578)
Dinesh,

Congrats on your DC. It indeed is a stunner in Urban Bronze. Can't wait to get the keys for my Storme. However, I will have to wait a while longer.

Krish & Libra,

Are you gentlemen also going in gfor 4X4. What are the colors you have opted for?

Thanks Rajneeesh. You have been a great support these waiting days :thumbs up

For You, Krish and Libra, I have some news. I happened to check on the booking status and currently there are 5 4X4 bookings pending delivery with Concorde Motors across Delhi (2 of Black and 1 Silver). Please expect your vehicles in 6th/7th week of booking. I have got it in the 6th week as there was a scramble to meet the Quarter Sales Numbers (30th June). They expect next delivery lot only after 15th of July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviddenis (Post 3741635)
Thanks Rajneeesh. You have been a great support these waiting days :thumbs up

For You, Krish and Libra, I have some news. I happened to check on the booking status and currently there are 5 4X4 bookings pending delivery with Concorde Motors across Delhi (2 of Black and 1 Silver). Please expect your vehicles in 6th/7th week of booking. I have got it in the 6th week as there was a scramble to meet the Quarter Sales Numbers (30th June). They expect next delivery lot only after 15th of July.

Happy that I could be of assistance Aviddennis. By the way, as of Friday there was a Pearl White 4X4 that was available . I am the person who has opted for the Silver 4X4. The next delivery date that has been given to me is 20th July.

As per TML, the usual delivery period for a 4X4 is 45 days as they are made against confirmed orders. ( unless there is a cancellation).

Thanks everybody. Looks like my wait is going to be much longer. I am one of the customers waiting for the astern black 4x4.

I am expecting an update today/ tomorrow. I will keep all of you posted on progress. Requesting you all to please do the same, as this agonizing wait stretches out...

Well, like all manufacturers, TML will be despatching a lot of Stormes today to show high market pull for the refreshed model. Things should clearer by tomorrow once the "month end" is over. I hope my Storme is amongst the vehicles despatched today. BTW I believe 2 Astern Black 4X4 were delivered by Concorde over the last 2-3 days.

A little late now, but if the Safari Storme and Xenon have similarities beneath the skin then in that case the Safari seems safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwRWkmLTy14

Quote:

Originally Posted by maglev (Post 3742972)
A little late now, but if the Safari Storme and Xenon have similarities beneath the skin then in that case the Safari seems safe.

Yes, if their underpinnings and crumple zones were same(which they are not), then the Safari Storme would get a 2 star safety rating. Xenon gets a 4 star with Electronic stability control, which is not offered in India

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3742991)
Yes, if their underpinnings and crumple zones were same(which they are not), then the Safari Storme would get a 2 star safety rating. Xenon gets a 4 star with Electronic stability control, which is not offered in India

OT

Just a query, how does ESC / ESP help in stimulated straight line crash tests?

They are features supposed to help drivers in avoiding a collision and not sure if they contribut anything after an accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunanb (Post 3743178)
OT

Just a query, how does ESC / ESP help in stimulated straight line crash tests?

They are features supposed to help drivers in avoiding a collision and not sure if they contribut anything after an accident.

They do not. But when NCAP gives star ratings to vehicles, collision safety is just one of the criteria. Without ESC - 5 star vehicles would get 3 stars, and 4 star vehicles would get 2 stars.

I am speculating, from a pure crashworthyness POV the Safari storme etc,. would be 4 star. This is just slightly lower than modern monocoque vehicles which get 5 star.

That said, remember Aria? The vehicle got lower ratings in 2WD form as the modification impacted structural integrity.

To sum it up, when it comes to occupant protection, Safari, Storme, Xenon etc., are among the best in India. However the biggest risk is roll over after collision(true for all high GC SUVs).

Another important point to consider is that a large number of trucks in India operate without under run bars, or locally assembled bars which do not offer protection. A large number of collisions are with such trucks parked on the highway with no lights. The Safari and other high vehicles would be therefore much safer on Indian roads.

In countries where car to car collisions are more common, a 5 star rated sedan would be safer.

For example, a 5 star sedan colliding with a truck would result in the sedan under the truck, crumple zones intact, and driver totaled.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3743190)
I am speculating, from a pure crashworthyness POV the Safari storme etc,. would be 4 star. This is just slightly lower than modern monocoque vehicles which get 5 star.

I guess not, Mahindra with their Scorpio and Pik-up(Getaway) have been struggling with bad crash test scores for a long time. That was one of the main reasons why they had to drop their US plans back then. Even for Australian NCAP the Pik-up scored a lowly 2 stars, after a few years the heavily revised Pik-up scored a better 3 star rating.

This also was one of main reasons why Mahindra went monocoque way with XUV, which they called their world SUV initially. Even the all prepped XUV with 6 Airbags and ESP scored 4 stars, not 5. I guess newer American IIHS test are even stricter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 3743206)
I guess not, Mahindra with their Scorpio and Pik-up(Getaway) have been struggling with bad crash test scores for a long time. That was one of the main reasons why they had to drop their US plans back then. Even for Australian NCAP the Pik-up scored a lowly 2 stars, after a few years the heavily revised Pik-up scored a better 3 star rating.

This also was one of main reasons why Mahindra went monocoque way with XUV, which they called their world SUV initially. Even the all prepped XUV with 6 Airbags and ESP scored 4 stars, not 5. I guess newer American IIHS test are even stricter.

I said 4 stars for Tata because Xenon with ESC got 4 stars. Its entirely possible Safari also matches Xenon's score.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3743220)
I said 4 stars for Tata because Xenon with ESC got 4 stars. Its entirely possible Safari also matches Xenon's score.

Xenon was designed mainly for export markets, and Australia is one of their main markets. I don't think Storme is focussed on export markets, never followed the updates though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 3743227)
Xenon was designed mainly for export markets, and Australia is one of their main markets. I don't think Storme is focussed on export markets, never followed the updates though.

Tata used to sell the safari in Italy and UK. That said, until we have a NCAP,ANCAP or the south american crash test reports, its all speculation.
Its very surprising that a Xenon with 2 airbags scored same as a modern design XUV with 6 airbags.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3743234)
Its very surprising that a Xenon with 2 airbags scored same as a modern design XUV with 6 airbags.

Some of us were making the same point not so long ago, before the related posts were deleted for being OT and not directly related to the Safari Storme (comparisons with XUV, Scorpio, etc.).

If a pikup from the same stable and product line gets a certain rating, it would be a very rare manufacturer whose passenger (S)UV would score lower. I frankly cannot see it happening. Human safety would (should?) always score above the safety of farm/dairy/industrial produce.