Team-BHP - 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165169-2015-tata-safari-storme-official-review-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3736997)
No idea bro. Am just trying to figure out which map to get on to my own Beastie. lol

No I humbly do not think so buddy. It will just rev cleaner through the rpm. Not do a different speed at a different rpm. Am no car expert of course.

Like I said, mere conjecture on my part :D. What seems to be the case is that TML has been trying out various ECU maps on different model years- kind of like a hit and trial to come up with the most optimal one. One thing i know for a fact- TML keeps tinkering andd oing minor tweaks from one batch to the next without any publicity- so each batch is incrementally better.

Given the grunt my beast has, i for sure am not complaining about the ECU map on my storme! Mid range grunt and roll on acceleration is mind blowing- have made many an XUV and Scorp eat humble pie on highways and on one occassion, driving back from Chandigarh to Delhi, gave a very tough fight to a Fortuner driven by a close friend, who is quite accomplished behind the wheel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 3737002)
Given the grunt my beast has, i for sure am not complaining about the ECU map on my storme! Mid range grunt and roll on acceleration is mind blowing- have made many an XUV and Scorp eat humble pie on highways and on one occassion, driving back from Chandigarh to Delhi, gave a very tough fight to a Fortuner driven by a close friend, who is quite accomplished behind the wheel.

Similar feelings here. Though one time I have been taken (properly) by a Fortuner guy on the way back from Goa. Even though some of his moves I actually chose not to follow for the risk involved. Plus he was solo and I had 5 in the truck plus luggage on the roof rack above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoNoob (Post 3735248)
IIRC, the suspension is carryover from 2012-13 Safari Strome (which was carryover & modified version of Aria), albeit some fine tuning..

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3735434)
Actually no, there is one difference which I am sure off. The 2015 storme has different coil springs. The model number has changed. I am sure this is the reason for the harsher ride. Personally, I liked the older softer ride better.

Yes, designers might have played with spring stiffness. I was saying more in terms of suspension setup.

Safari 2.2L Dicor has C-in-C type long member frame with torsion bar front suspension; whereas 2012 (and 2015) Safari Strome has hydroformed long members with coil spring front suspension (carried over from Aria). Tuning of springs, shocks and bushes might be changed to get desired R&H performace.

Quote:

Have you seen those programs on TV where they get the dog whisperer, cow whisperer etc., who listens to the animals and understands what they want. Well I am the safari whisperer.
:uncontrol
Still if you can share, I would love to know the whisper you heard from Safari.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviddenis (Post 3736600)
Hi Rajneesh, When did you book your car? I booked mine on 12th May and I have been given to understand that it is in transit. But that has been the story for over a week now and I am beginning to have doubts. The date has already shifted thrice. Would you mind sharing the contact details of TMS NCR Head.

Aviddenis, I booked my car on June 5/6. I tried sending a PM to you but was not able to do so . Please send me a text message on 9212100470 and I will share the contact details .

By the way the delivery period is specific to the variant and color. I was offered a delivery period of 7-10 days for the Pearl white 4X4 or a VX 4x2 yesterday but I stuck to my color preference i.e Arctic Silver. I hope I get the delivery by July 20. I don't want to cancel the booking and go in for something else. ( as per my head, S Cross will be a more practical every day vehicle, with better interiors, higher quality levels, easier to drive in city, lower burden on my conscience in these eco sensitive times and a richer feature list., I have for the time being, allowed my heart overrule my head )

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3736997)
No idea bro. Am just trying to figure out which map to get on to my own Beastie. lol

No I humbly do not think so buddy. It will just rev cleaner through the rpm. Not do a different speed at a different rpm. Am no car expert of course.

Ebonho, no matter what map you finally get, the vehicle speed will remain constant for a given rpm (assuming no change in the gear ratios and tyre size). So different people cannot have different speeds for the same rpm unless there is change in any one or all of the parameters like gear ratios, final drive ratio and tyre size. Since people are reading off the rpm and speed from the analogue dials, some variation could be there in the reading of those dials.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 3738137)
Ebonho, no matter what map you finally get, the vehicle speed will remain constant for a given rpm (assuming no change in the gear ratios and tyre size). So different people cannot have different speeds for the same rpm unless there is change in any one or all of the parameters like gear ratios, final drive ratio and tyre size. Since people are reading off the rpm and speed from the analogue dials, some variation could be there in the reading of those dials.

But is it not a coincidence that everyone with the "same year" Storme have the same dial reading error in that case? 2013, 2014, and now 2015? Because I have not heard of two same-year Storme guys claiming different speeds for the same rpm.

So could this then be an issue not of different maps but of different speedometers for each model year? (I must admit this sounds far fetched unless its a vendor batch issue :))

We know the tyre size has not changed. So that leaves only gearing. As someone rightly said, for a vehicle that sells the numbers the Storme does, I hardly think Tata Motors would be giving each year's iteration a new gearing.

So what's the catch here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjbiju (Post 3738137)

Wind speed and direction and its variation due to any vehicle in front, nearby foliage or buildings present on roadside may change the vehicle speed. The data shall be compared if all vehicles are on same road at same time and in same direction. This is my guess as I experienced similar situation when I was driving my Swift at a significantly higher RPM but lower speed due to squall in Gurgaon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 3738177)
Wind speed and direction and its variation due to any vehicle in front, nearby foliage or buildings present on roadside may change the vehicle speed. The data shall be compared if all vehicles are on same road at same time and in same direction. This is my guess as I experienced similar situation when I was driving my Swift at a significantly higher RPM but lower speed due to squall in Gurgaon.

Unless the ratio of engine RPM to drive axle changes, the vehicle should be traveling at the same speed for a particular engine rpm irrespective of external factors. Except when some serious wheel slippage happens, I cant really see how wind speed will influence the engine rpm to road speed ratio. perhaps I am missing something here..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajneeesh (Post 3736179)
In the thread on the Storme refresh, a lot of people have written that they are going in for the XUV 500 even though the XUV and Storme are as different as chalk and cheese.

You are right about XUV and Storme being very different vehicles with different strengths but from an avg user standpoint, the use case is the same which is 99% city/highway driving in most cases. So off road capabilities or ruggedness of Storme doesnt really come in handy as much. XUV certainly offers lot more bling factor as well vs Storme being more a purist vehicle

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 3737002)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3737106)
Similar feelings here. Though one time I have been taken (properly) by a Fortuner guy on the way back from Goa. Even though some of his moves I actually chose not to follow for the risk involved. Plus he was solo and I had 5 in the truck plus luggage on the roof rack above.

On road performance comparison in my opinion esp on Indian roads is purely based on how crazy the driver can get :). Only way to get real comparison between different cars would be on a race track with same driver. My point here is not to disagree with you guys but to contest whether that we come across on roads is very subjective, nor cause I own a XUV. I easily get trumped by swifts and dzires on the highway because I am not ready to rev the hell out of my car's engine and dont feel safe driving beyond 120-130kmph on Indian road conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigzero (Post 3738252)
Unless the ratio of engine RPM to drive axle changes, the vehicle should be traveling at the same speed for a particular engine rpm irrespective of external factors. Except when some serious wheel slippage happens, I cant really see how wind speed will influence the engine rpm to road speed ratio. perhaps I am missing something here..

May be it doesn't, but my guess is that the different conditions will give different results. External factors do have impact on test results. However, I am not a mechanical engineer and do not have any basis to support my statement. In a hypothetical situation, if I add an external engine of 50 cc capacity, will I get same RPM reading at a particular speed?stupid:

Unless you are slipping wheels or clutch, in a particular gear at a particular rpm vehicle speed will be same.

Those achieving a lower speed in a higher RPM (100 at 2000), compared with those achieving a higher speed at the same RPM (110 at 2000) should look out for wear and tear on their clutches, may be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertinu (Post 3738286)
You are right about XUV and Storme being very different vehicles with different strengths but from an avg user standpoint, the use case is the same which is 99% city/highway driving in most cases. So off road capabilities or ruggedness of Storme doesnt really come in handy as much. XUV certainly offers lot more bling factor as well vs Storme being more a purist vehicle

I am one of those you are talking about. I had mentioned few pages back that I am moving away from Strome (have booked an XUV AWD).

I have been waiting patently since 2012 for:
I have a small car to putter around in the city. XUV/Storme will be a highway cruiser for me. Also, during most of my long drives my family accompanies me. Safety is a priority, so XUV with 6 airbags, ABS + EBD (in Storme as well), ESP with rollover mitigation, static bending lights wins. I certainly love Storme's mud plugging capability, however fact remains I am not going to go looking for a swamp to drop my 18 lakh car into! XUV with AWD will get me lot of places where Storem 4x4 will.

With the latest update XUV has crossed my threshold, unfortunately not so with Storme.

Maybe, I am just not hardcore :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertinu (Post 3738286)
On road performance comparison in my opinion esp on Indian roads is purely based on how crazy the driver can get :). Only way to get real comparison between different cars would be on a race track with same driver. My point here is not to disagree with you guys but to contest whether that we come across on roads is very subjective, nor cause I own a XUV. I easily get trumped by swifts and dzires on the highway because I am not ready to rev the hell out of my car's engine and dont feel safe driving beyond 120-130kmph on Indian road conditions.

Absolutely. I have a Baleno which I am comfortable coasting at a certain three digit speed. I get overtaken by flying 800 & Alto all the time, doesn't mean I and my car are at the limits! After all, I did have the second best lap time on an F1 simulator at the Swiss Museum of Transport at one point in time :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumithb (Post 3738355)
I am one of those you are talking about. I had mentioned few pages back that I am moving away from Strome (have booked an XUV AWD).

• XUV to sort out the niggles or
  • Strome to catchup with XUV, at least in terms of safety features and cruise control

I have a small car to putter around in the city. XUV/Storme will be a highway cruiser for me. Also, during most of my long drives my family accompanies me. Safety is a priority, so XUV with 6 airbags, ABS + EBD (in Storme as well), ESP with rollover mitigation, static bending lights wins. I certainly love Storme's mud plugging capability, however fact remains I am not going to go looking for a swamp to drop my 18 lakh car into! XUV with AWD will get me lot of places where Storem 4x4 will.

With the latest update XUV has crossed my threshold, unfortunately not so with Storme.

My thoughts are somewhat similar. I have a soft corner for the Safari/Storme for sure, but am just not in a position to ignore the safety features on offer in the XUV. The only difference is that I have still not made a choice. I have no idea at this point what I am eventually going to buy or when!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumithb (Post 3738355)

• XUV to sort out the niggles or
  • Strome to catchup with XUV, at least in terms of safety features and cruise control

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigzero (Post 3738370)
My thoughts are somewhat similar. I have a soft corner for the Safari/Storme for sure, but am just not in a position to ignore the safety features on offer in the XUV. The only difference is that I have still not made a choice. I have no idea at this point what I am eventually going to buy or when!

Probably, someone already did.
I suggest you to take a look at ARIA before concluding on XUV. Its not because of a fan boy attitude, but ARIA is far more superior in every aspect including the fact that ARIA does NOT have a "BLING" look but has all the real need for all road conditions except the no-road condition !

The only irritating factor now is we are expecting HEXA anytime this year or early 2016 that could put you "on wait" for few more months. But, I guess, its worth a wait considering the investment you are planning to make on 4 wheels anyway.

Prem.