Team-BHP - 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/165169-2015-tata-safari-storme-official-review-5.html)

Just got a call from TML. The revised delivery date is 20th July for the Arctic Silver. Had I been in the US I would have sued TML. this delay is costing me additional Income Tax (as I am taking the vehicle on a company lease).:Frustrati

Mod Note: Lets focus on the 2015 Safari Storme on this thread. Crash test ratings of SUVs and their safety vis a vis sedans can continue on the other thread.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajneeesh (Post 3736450)
The intially committed delivery date for my 4X4 was 15-20 days (by 25th June). Now that the 2 weeks have elapsed there is still no clarity on the delivery date. I called up the NCR head for Tata Motors . As per him, the delivery period for the 4X4 is 45 days. He said that he will check and let me know about the tentative delivery date and the reason behind the unrealistically optimistic delivery date commitment by the dealership.

While I can wait for some time, my kids are ticking off the days on the calendar. Their school reopens on July 1, and they wanted me to take them for a small out of station trip . Seems that it will not be happening. Man proposes, TML disposes. The Storme does not really sell in huge numbers. TML should be able to do a better job of inventory planning and management.

Hi Rajneesh, When did you book your car? I booked mine on 12th May and I have been given to understand that it is in transit. But that has been the story for over a week now and I am beginning to have doubts. The date has already shifted thrice. Would you mind sharing the contact details of TMS NCR Head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAD (Post 3735788)
Thanks for a great review on the 2015 Storme facelift. A question for Tanveer. For the 2015 Storme facelift, Can you confirm if the peak torque is available between 1700-2700 rpm vis a vis the updated 2014 Aria where it is much wider at 1500-3000 rpm? If, yes, can you think of any reason why the differentiation in models that between them sell about 600 units a month!!!

Also is the final drive axle ratio for storme 4.10:1?

Low end torque is improved(not that the storme was bad earlier). However, people are saying that 2014 stormes had better power delivery due to updates maps over the 2012 storme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajneeesh (Post 3736476)
Just got a call from TML. The revised delivery date is 20th July for the Arctic Silver. Had I been in the US I would have sued TML. this delay is costing me additional Income Tax (as I am taking the vehicle on a company lease).:Frustrati

So it's a common story about the ever shifting delivery dates! Mine got shifted thrice but thankfully got mine within one week of the initially committed date!

Just returned from a 1400 KM trip to the hills. Every time we encountered bad roads, no roads, good roads, basically anything that a car can be driven on, I just had a huge grin on my face. I was amazed at the comfort this beast provides! I drove 14 hours straight on our way to Kasol and then again on our way back; on treacherous roads and with really bad small town traffic, and just didnt feel tired at all. In fact while going our plan was to drive till Chandigarh since we started late from Delhi but we continued on our way and stopped only at Kasol which is 550 Kms from Delhi. And most of this was night driving. Just very very impressed with this machine.

As suggested by veterans, didnt really push him and drove at around 100 KMPH wherever I could( which was basically from Delhi to Chandigarh and from Chandigarh to Delhi while coming back).

No major issues, just a couple of rattles I need to get fixed. One question, for how long do I refrain from pushing him beyond 100 KMPH? He's done 2K Kms till now.

Will keep updating, and will soon start an ownership thread as well. Posting some pics from the trip.

P.S: I don't know how to add comments to pictures. Pls help! please:

Cheers!
Familyguy

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3734638)
Available with merely 5 colour options. Two whites, silver, black & urban bronze. Sardinia red dropped:

They really should have continued the Champagne Gold. It was such a lovely colour, along with the Cycus Grey in the 2.2 Safari Dicor.

Cheers,
Vikram

@familyguy, more than the speed, you need to keep a check on RPM, letting it hover around 2000 and storme is powerful enough to do 110 kmph at that rpm in my opinion.

I agree. I was keeping it around 2000 and the speed was hovering around 100 at that RPM. The question I have is, how long should this run in period be?

@familyguy, I believe 2000 km mark is sufficient enough to let the engine settle in. To be on the safer side, you can try staying below 3k rpm for another 500 km and then test your beast's thresholds. Rest the gurus here can give a better insight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Familyguy (Post 3736779)
I agree. I was keeping it around 2000 and the speed was hovering around 100 at that RPM. The question I have is, how long should this run in period be?

Thanks for confirming @Familyguy.

@Apachelongbow - bro could you please confirm what your remapped (compared to first gen 2013 Stormes) 2014 Storme does in 5th at 2000 rpm? Or to reword my question, at what rpm in 5th does your Storme do 100?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3736967)
Thanks for confirming @Familyguy.

@Apachelongbow - bro could you please confirm what your remapped (compared to first gen 2013 Stormes) 2014 Storme does in 5th at 2000 rpm? Or to reword my question, at what rpm in 5th does your Storme do 100?

Since I have a 2014 Storme (that incidentally celebrates its first birthday today :) ), allow me to answer that. 2000 rpm in fifth equates to shade under 110 kph. My sweet spot on highways is 120 KPH which is at 2100 rpm. between 1900 and 2000 rpm there is an irritating booming noise so i keep it over 2000 on highways, roads permitting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 3736979)
Since I have a 2014 Storme (that incidentally celebrates its first birthday today :) ), allow me to answer that. 2000 rpm in fifth equates to shade under 110 kph. My sweet spot on highways is 120 KPH which is at 2100 rpm. between 1900 and 2000 rpm there is an irritating booming noise so i keep it over 2000 on highways, roads permitting.

Confusing.

I know two guys now who have confirmed that the 2015 Storme does 100 at 2000 rpm.

The 2013 Stormes do 100 at 2100 rpm.

You are saying your 2014 Storme does 110 at 2000 rpm.

That's 3 different maps for 3 different years. With the 2014 one looking the peppiest.

Interesting ..... :D :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3736985)
Confusing.

I know two guys now who have confirmed that the 2015 Storme does 100 at 2000 rpm.

That's 3 different maps for 3 different years. With the 2014 one looking the peppiest.

How is this possible unless they have changed the gearbox?

I don't think they have, or have they?

Interestingly the RPM vs speed numbers look somewhat similar to my diesel i20 - I think the gear ratios are quite similar. I touch 90 at a bit below 2000 rpm in 5th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3736985)
Confusing.

perhaps it could be because i clean out my air filter every 3000 KMS since i live in ultra dusty NCR. so that way, my engine breathes better and perhaps produces tad more power. A lil bit of preventive maintenance goes a long way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigzero (Post 3736995)
How is this possible unless they have changed the gearbox?

I don't think they have, or have they?

Interestingly the RPM vs speed numbers look somewhat similar to my diesel i20 - I think the gear ratios are quite similar. I touch 90 at a bit below 2000 rpm in 5th.

No idea bro. Am just trying to figure out which map to get on to my own Beastie. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshugoswami (Post 3736996)
perhaps it could be because i clean out my air filter every 3000 KMS since i live in ultra dusty NCR. so that way, my engine breathes better and perhaps produces tad more power. A lil bit of preventive maintenance goes a long way.

No I humbly do not think so buddy. It will just rev cleaner through the rpm. Not do a different speed at a different rpm. Am no car expert of course.