Team-BHP - Maruti S-Cross : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti S-Cross : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/166376-maruti-s-cross-official-review-159.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 3858266)
Finally got the front chrome grill smoked. :)

Attachment 1444894Attachment 1444897

Please share how have you got this done. Does it require removal of the front bumper or has it been done without removing it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot (Post 3856371)
Second negative, the car is fast, but without looking at the speedo it is difficult to know you are at 140. I would strongly advise getting familiar with the car dynamics before going steady highway driving. Try its turning and stability in short bursts of speed, because you might be left confused in an emergency at high speeds (you might be going faster than you think). Remember this car does not have esp!

Investing on a Heads up display may be a good idea then. It will keep the driver updated on the actual speed without moving the eyes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 3858266)
Finally got the front chrome grill smoked. :)

Can you please tell me about from where (Showroom name) you exchanged your Tyre/Alloys and what was the equation? I know you ahve posted that information somewhere but i am not being able to find that.
Also please let me know the place for Chrome Grill work as i am also from NCR.
I am going to take Alpha 1.6 Brown delivery tomorrow. Sleepless night today.

Thanks in advance

While cleaning my car today I noticed some dust particles inside the headlamp assembly, specifically on the projector lens.
Both projectors seem to have the dust particles. Clearly visible if you switch on the headlights.

Isn't the headlamp assembly supposed to be a fully sealed unit ?
By the way the car remains covered with the car cover most of the time as I stay in Chennai and only get to drive it once in around 10 days.

Can fellow Alpha variant owners check and confirm if this is normal or some kind of manufacturing defect that I should get checked ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaks19 (Post 3858328)
Hi. If you've ever driven the Jetta or Octavia, can you compare the performance between the two? I'll be buying a car within the next two months or so and I'm really confused between three contenders - a slightly used A4/3-Series, a new Jetta (Automatic) or a S-Cross 1.6. Heart says 3-Series/A4, mind says Jetta, but wallet says S-Cross 1.6. A really difficult and confusing decision. Your inputs will be helpful. :)

So, here's my take on your conundrum:

1. New Audi A4/ BMW 3 Series: I will actually strike out the A4 out immediately. Reason? The new gen is already out and will be likely launched at at the Auto Expo (I think). Yes, you may argue that the current gen is typically available at fat discounts but then so is rival 3 series. So, the current gen A4 is actually a pointless vehicle. You can try hard to bargain on the basic model of 3 series. F-A-T discounts are available. If you put money on the table (i.e. talk with a cheqebook in hand), you may get upto 8 lacs off. That should bring the OTR price to around 30 lacs or so. Fantastic price for a 3 series I'd say.

2. Used 3 series: Actually a very nice option if you can get hold of current gen one (2012 end on wards). Anything ranging between 16-20 should be considered a major coup.

3. New Jetta: I own one and it is a beautiful car to drive. Its for people who like to drive. As far as driving pleasure goes, I'd say its on par with the Audi A4. Quality levels are 80% comparable. But then a new one will peg you back by around 22-24 lakhs and that is pricey.

4. S Corss: As good as the vehicle is, I'd skip this one compared to the other cars considered. Unless you need the SUVish feel. And if that's the case, then S Cross is actually a wrong vehicle. The driving position is quite car-like and it doesn't have any SUV feel at all. Even the Ecosprot has more of SUV feel. Yes, the vehicle is otherwise a very capable performer.

If I were you, I'd recommend looking at a new 3 Series (if you can stretch), followed by a used one, followed by anew Jetta.

Pound for pound - the 3 is unbeatable, especially since the new C Class is almost 10 lakhs costlier than the 3 OTR.

Cheers
Abhi

Quote:

Hi. If you've ever driven the Jetta or Octavia, can you compare the performance between the two? I'll be buying a car within the next two months or so and I'm really confused between three contenders - a slightly used A4/3-Series, a new Jetta (Automatic) or a S-Cross 1.6. Heart says 3-Series/A4, mind says Jetta, but wallet says S-Cross 1.6. A really difficult and confusing decision. Your inputs will be helpful. :)

I don't know much about the used car thing.

Both the Jetta and the S-Cross should have almost identical performance. But the Jetta will beat it in almost every other department.
Since you are considering the S-Cross manual, why not go in for the Jetta comfortline?
It will satisfy all the three decision makers-
Your mind, so you have stated.
Your wallet, this way, you can save a bit of a cash for your future upgrade to the big 3.
And your heart, as you will be getting the VW equivalent of an Audi A4 :)

Quote:

Hey mate. As I see it, this is quite an obvious decision, lemme break it down:

Strike a used A4 off you list because its replacement is coming in and quite frankly the current one was never that special.

Buy a German sedan if you can really appreciate its finesse and take care of it because maintaining one will need a pro. Whether to indulge further and go ahead with a used 3-Series (might as well now eh! it's definitely worth it ;) ) or figure you want a new car and just buy a Jetta instead, is upto you entirely.

On the other hand you have one of the most sensible options out there in the market IMO; the S-Cross it is certainly quite fun-to-drive, not too shabbily equipped, well built and sure footed, all that but not quite as capable as the german sedans especially the 3er, the best bit is it doesn't ask for much from you either- efficient, performs well on bad roads, doesn't stress you out in terms of maintenance, and will even reward you with good resale when you decide to bid goodbye. Certainly gives the Jetta a run for its money :D

Hope this makes it easier for you to pick
Cheers!

Quote:

Hi

I have driven both the cars (not much - around 50 kms each).

Jetta/Octavia

+ Better comfort package- Suspension is leagues ahead of S cross- better damping, roll control - it is much more fun to drive these two
+ More precise steering- sharp responses- better weighted
+ Better engine response - it is more linear, faster, in short better tuned- does not feel heavy, lethargic, strained.
+ Better brakes- responses are way more predictable
+ Diesel Auto is effortless to drive in city
+ Diesel Manual has an inferior clutch (too much travel, slightly heavier)

+ Goodies like DRLS, cornering lamps, 6 airbags, ESP, AT options, electric seats, rear AC vents, sunroof etc
+ Outright Quality
+ Better looks
+ Better Audio System (sound quality)
+ Better Noise Insulation
+ Better back seat than the S cross
+ Huge Boot (vis a vis s cross)
- Huge Dimensions compared to S Cross (parking, navigating reversing etc)
- Maintenance costs
- Fuel Efficiency
- VAG service issues
- Poor resale vaue

In short pure performance wise Jetta/Octi beat S Cross hands down

S Cross has the below advantages as compared to the European Cousins

+ CHEAPER (16 lakh vs 25 lakhs - I can buy a spare swift with the money saved :D)
+ Fuel Efficiency
+ City friendly dimensions extremely easy to drive in traffic conditions
+ Maruti Service network
+ Low maintenance costs
+ Higher seating
+ All Black Interiors
+ Better Resale

Thanks

In addition to the above mentioned posts, don't forget that the Jetta and the octavia(even the Audis I think) use the same diesel engine which resulted in the recent diesel emissions fiasco for VW .

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneCollector (Post 3858355)
Please share how have you got this done. Does it require removal of the front bumper or has it been done without removing it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaudharysaab (Post 3858525)
Can you please tell me about from where (Showroom name) you exchanged your Tyre/Alloys and what was the equation? I know you ahve posted that information somewhere but i am not being able to find that.
Also please let me know the place for Chrome Grill work as i am also from NCR.
I am going to take Alpha 1.6 Brown delivery tomorrow. Sleepless night today.

Thanks in advance

I exchanged my tyres with Ashok Motors, Sector 16, got a good deal. As for the alloys i got them from Kanwal Tyres, Karol Bagh under exchange. They took my stock alloys for 14K.

The chrome grill was smoked using a matt black 3M film that my local car guy did. Took more time than the entire roof as it required good precision work. You can get it done from any of the local car guys.

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I've been maintaining an Octavia vRS since quite some time now so maintaining a German sedan won't be much of an issue.

I guess, a used 3er in immaculate condition (like GTO's 5er) makes most sense. But at an asking price for almost 2.3-2.6 million for the Luxury Line variant, it makes quite a lot of sense to stretch up till 2.8 million for a similarly used (~20k kms) A6 35 TDI. Since the car will mostly be driven by my parents or chauffeur (I'm shifting to the U.S. next fall), A6 makes more sense. And from my experience with it, it's pretty much satisfactory in terms of performance for those short sprints. But yes, the CVT gearbox is one of the biggest downsides. What's your take on this?

Update on 1.6:
Punctured the sump while driving over potholes in the recent rains in bangalore.
Oil sump seems to be vulnerable. (In a similar situation, my older ford fusion would have taken the hit on a sturdy cross-member.)
The sump costs about 10k (corresponding part for 1.3 is ~1k I am told)
It was covered by insurance, but prospective owners might want to look at an engine protector option in the insurance package considering high cost of engine spares.
Also the part took 9 days to arrive.
Maruti service staff was very helpful, gave me a loaner Ciaz, also helped to make contact & coordinate with the Nexa branch folks who seem rather busy.

Quote:

Hi,
Lots of experience has already been shared with you on the bigger ($$) cars. I have not driven any of them, unfortunately. For me,I would try and put it only from my perspective. I never had the thought of going for a sedan, I have asked myself why, but don't have a suitable answer yet. It was about Interior volume and fun to drive factor for me. Interior volume, was for going out (outstation trips) with one more family (with kids) and not worry about luggage or sitting comfort. For the short duration I have had the car, my son has most enjoyed going to and fro from the rear seat and the boot. For the fun to drive car, I was not left with any option but the S-cross. So essentially for me the choice was a no brainer (only after I had bought it). Before buying I was full of doubts ofcourse :). For me I stretched from 10 Lac (lets say for a jazz, with great versatile volume) to 15 Lac for the S-cross. Duster was not fun to drive, even the 110bhp one.. You seem to be wanting to stretch too, but you will, not just be stretching now, but for every service also. The fact that you are discussing the mentioned cars in the same breath with the s-cross means you have something extraordinary in the s-cross. If you like sedans don't go for it, buy the Jetta, but if you see anything familiar with my thoughts above, then s-cross is a beautiful "car" not "SUV" to have. Hope this helps, but, whatever you decide, remember, No Regrets! Best of luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrek (Post 3858919)
Update on 1.6:
Maruti service staff was very helpful, gave me a loaner Ciaz, also helped to make contact & coordinate with the Nexa branch folks who seem rather busy.

That is true. The Nexa people can never be easily contacted, but the service staff is excellent in Coimbatore. Had a very similar experience on my 1.3 Scross Zeta during the rains. Was travelling from Vellore to Coimbatore and before Ambur hit a pool of water at a speed of 100 kms on a four way NH.The bottom rear silver garnish ripped off completely. Did not notice it till I reached Coimbatore. It seems to be a design failure. Went to the service station and got a new one. The service staff agree with me that it is a design fault whereas the Maruti staff says that even he tends to agree, he cannot do anything unless they have the broken part. Only the screws were visible. However they say that they have written to their design team to follow it up. The part costed me Rs.1200 along with labour charges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrek (Post 3858919)
Update on 1.6:
Punctured the sump while driving over potholes in the recent rains in bangalore.
Oil sump seems to be vulnerable. (In a similar situation, my older ford fusion would have taken the hit on a sturdy cross-member.)
The sump costs about 10k (corresponding part for 1.3 is ~1k I am told)
It was covered by insurance, but prospective owners might want to look at an engine protector option in the insurance package considering high cost of engine spares.
Also the part took 9 days to arrive.

Parts were expected to be at a premium for the 1.6.

But i'm surprised. The S-cross has very good clearance and has a underbody plate of plastic. To damage the sump is not an easy feat like a honda city or Verna.

How did you manage to hit the sump? Can you give details on where and how it happened.