Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2015, 10:57   #31
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear SDP,
The cars that i have driven with the start/stop button requires the clutch to be pressed.
I get a message on the dash to press the clutch.
This is maybe to ensure that somebody does not start the car while in gear. Hence, my earlier post.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: And no, am not talking about that so called Micro-Hybrid
Very good point Deepak!

I just checked the Facelift XUV review and it does mention:
Quote:
(Engine Start/Stop button) Only works if the clutch is pressed all the way down
So you are absolutely right!
The engine Start/Stop (keyless) function does depend on the clutch and Mahindra's seem to have taken a easy way out by dropping the functionality in the AT rather than re-design it.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 11:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank0782 View Post
Tanveer, Are you already feeling the desire to replace your New Age XUV with the AT ?
Haha, I am more of a manual guy, So no desire to get the AT version, But the desire to replace the New age xuv with the New ford Everest/Endeavour is surely there
Old 24th December 2015, 11:46   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Tushar, SDP and GTO.

With my manual XUV, literally there is no issue as such but how i wish to have AT for the start stop traffic inside city. The distance of South Bangalore to airport is pain to drive at peak hours - for that matter in any car but XUV like SUV is even more. It's not to the point I want to change my MT to AT but definitely if there was an option for AT at the time i bought it, I would have not looked at MT at all!

Like everyone mentioned, XUV AT is a great package but sorely misses on some of the convenience. I tend to think that Mahindra will rectify this in the next version for sure. If that gets coupled with a real hybrid technology (not that Micro-Hybrid gimmicky thing) sometime in next 2-3 years, I would be first in line to buy it!
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I think I am more interested in the FWD version.
Does anybody have any idea about the TDs in Pune, booking amount, delivery time, etc?
I expect the OTR price to be around 20 L Rs. Is this right?
Of the three dealers in Pune Silverjublee has already received their AT, but they do not give you long TD's, or allow you to hammer the car on bad roads.
Sahayadri motors on the NH-4 bi pass is receiving their Automatic W10FWD in a day or two. Their SA Rakesh Khot will give you a good test drive, a run on the highway a bit on the dirt track behind their showroom and a run in the city, though he will give you an older W8 manual for the dirt track. The OTR for W8 AT is 18.11 for W10 AT is 19.08 and W10 AWD AT is 20.29 add another 70k for PMC LBT if your address is in limits.

Rahul

Last edited by noopster : 24th December 2015 at 13:10. Reason: Removing mobile number- not a good idea to share personal details online
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:17   #35
BHPian

Excellent review indeed, as is now a standard expectation from a TBHP review. Answered all the queries that I had. At the outset, I think this is a product which will really put Mahindras right there in the big league. The only reason I think people will go for a Fortuner now will be the brand, not the features anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I expect the OTR price to be around 20 L Rs. Is this right?
The OTR for a W10 FWD AT is in the range of 19.5 lacs and for AWD is about a lac more. Somehow I feel that it is worth spending that additional lac and get an AWD. Not that I am a frequent off-roader, I just feel that it gives that little additional comfort that the car can get you out of any sticky situation.

Last edited by ptushar : 24th December 2015 at 12:18.
ptushar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 12:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Of the three dealers in Pune Silverjublee has already received their AT, but they do not give you long TD's, or allow you to hammer the car on bad roads.
Sahayadri motors on the NH-4 bi pass is receiving their Automatic W10FWD in a day or two. Their SA Rakesh Khot will give you a good test drive, a run on the highway a bit on the dirt track behind their showroom and a run in the city, though he will give you an older W8 manual for the dirt track. The OTR for W8 AT is 18.11 for W10 AT is 19.08 and W10 AWD AT is 20.29 add another 70k for PMC LBT if your address is in limits.

Rahul
Dear Rahul,
Thanks for the update. Looks like both Silver Jubilee and Sahayadri will get a phone call from me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
The OTR for a W10 FWD AT is in the range of 19.5 lacs and for AWD is about a lac more. Somehow I feel that it is worth spending that additional lac and get an AWD. Not that I am a frequent off-roader, I just feel that it gives that little additional comfort that the car can get you out of any sticky situation.
Dear ptushar,

Thanks for the update.
Scorpio AT is about 15L Rs, XUV500 AT is about 20L Rs - both 2 wheel drives. I am having a difficult time justifying XUV - it will be harder still for a AWD!! When you consider the type of cars that I have been driving around - OmniE, City, WagonR and now Jazz, you will realize that if these cars served my need.... then even the TUV 2WD AMT is an overkill. However, of course, considering all factors, etc etc - I will remember your suggestion at the time of taking the actual call!

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by noopster : 24th December 2015 at 13:11. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 24th December 2015, 12:56   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

EDIT:

Got a confirmation from Mahindra. This has been added to the review "Mahindra states that the XUV500 AT weighs merely 5 kgs more than the equivalent MT variant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
So ideally that should lead to vibrations on the brake pedal, and not on the steering wheel.
Yes, that's how it is in other ATs. With the XUV500, there is prominent (& very annoying) vibration on the steering wheel too.

Quote:
Do the vibrations still not go away if you shift to N instead of P? Shifting to N at long halts is anyways recommended in ATs.
Correct. But lets say, you are in stop-go traffic with each halt being of 10 - 15 seconds. That's too short to move it to N, but still significant enough for the vibrations to irritate the hell out of you.

Mahindra never gets this fine-tuning right out of the box. In the next year, 500 customers will complaint. Then, in the 2017 XUV500, you'll see this steering vibration problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This doesn't seem proportional, can you re test and comment on this again.
Thanks! Yes, the 80 km/h reading definitely seemed inaccurate. Removed it. However, I can confirm the 100 / 120 readings are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Mahindra has effectively killed some D segment sedans too.
Yep, D-segment sedans have already gotten slaughtered by the SUVs - automatic SUVs (like the Creta & XUV500) will only deliver the final nail in the coffin.

Quote:
Hasn't Team-BHP got their hands on an AWD XUV 500 for an official review?
As Moderator Anshuman owns one, and has a multi-page thread on the same, that's perhaps better than an official review.

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The part quality even in pictures doesnt cut it for me. I want decent, if not luxurious interior appointments if I am spending that amount of cash on a car.
While I agree with you, it's important to see the competition too. The Creta has overall better fit & finish, but it's not premium either. The feature list is also lacking compared to the XUV500. I'd much rather be in an XUV500 cabin (with the additional space & features) than that of the Creta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The engine Start/Stop (keyless) function does depend on the clutch and Mahindra's seem to have taken a easy way out by dropping the functionality in the AT rather than re-design it.
Yeah, the decision to remove was just lame. A damn short-cut. Why couldn't they re-engineer it? There are so many automatic cars in the market with passive keyless entry & go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
AWD is about a lac more. Somehow I feel that it is worth spending that additional lac and get an AWD.
I come from the school of thought that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. Without it, an SUV is just incomplete.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 13:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Superb review, Tushar. When the XUV500 was first released, I had posted that this could be the vehicle that migrates me from sedans to SUVs. 4 years down, with the initial niggles ironed out, the facelift softening the overall look and this nice AT box added to the mix, this feeling is stronger than ever!

I agree with GTO that the XUV AT knocks the Creta out of the park. Paying the same amount for a 7-seater butch SUV that is fully loaded is a complete no-brainer. Hyundai also hasn't ramped up its production capacity to keep with demand- 12 month waiting lists for the Creta are ridiculous! If Mahindra can manage that, they have a best-seller on their hands.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 15:56   #39
BHPian

Just the Car and the review I've been waiting for.
Nice review!!

Time for me to upgrade now. Seriously considering W10 AT AWD.

The only question is whether to buy NOW or wait for M&M to sort out the niggles with the AT and remember to add Start/Stop buttons??
a_bharadwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 15:58   #40
BHPian

Nice review. I own a 2014 XUV5OO and I wish the automatic was available then. With the expected clampdown on diesel private cars, I don't know if I well ever get a chance to drive this one.

I do have a bone to pick with the point about Mahindra's service. I have owned a Hyundai, a Skoda (yikes!) and a Mahindra. And Mahindra's service for its XUV customers is pretty darn good. It is up there with Hyundai's. I have had no complaints except some variance on the estimates they have provided me. The service personnel have been very responsive. If other XUV owners have the same experience, perhaps it is time to give them a break and stop using "Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences" in every review of a Mahindra car.
kovilkalai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 17:35   #41
BHPian

Great review. Well deserved 5 stars. Was waiting for a while for review of the XUV500 AT on teambhp. Have been considering to book it but i guess will wait for a while. But the details in the review are making inch closer to booking it.

@tushar You took the car from mumbai to khopoli and back. The rim of the gearbox was a problem? Was there any other small niggle that you experienced

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2015 at 10:00. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum. Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I come from the school of thought that an SUV has to have AWD / 4x4. Without it, an SUV is just incomplete.
Completely agree with GTO. A 2WD SUV is like sucking a toffee with the wrapper on They should be called people carriers instead of SUV (as that definitely is a misnomer).

The XUV 500 W10 AWD should be the SUV of choice for anyone spending in that price bracket. We of course will have to see Ford's pricing of the new Endeavour/Everest. If priced well, it could give the XUV a run for its money.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Fixing quote
flyboy747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 18:19   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post

When you are at a signal with the car in D and your foot on the brake, the car is actually trying to move forward and slipping the clutch, while you are holding it back by keeping a foot on the brakes. So ideally that should lead to vibrations on the brake pedal, and not on the steering wheel. Maybe some AT experts can shed some light on why the vibration is being transmitted to the steering wheel.

Do the vibrations still not go away if you shift to N instead of P? Shifting to N at long halts is anyways recommended in ATs.

P.S.: I drive a DSG
Hi,

See with the torque convertor the gearbox and engine are not physically connected (the transmission fluid acts as that connection medium).
I drive an i10 auto. There should not be any vibrations on the brake pedal nor the steering wheel. Infact not even the gear selection lever.

If the brakes are applied lightly allowing for slight movement of the car, you may feel the brakes creak a bit, that's it, but vibrations nope.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 18:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post

What you’ll like:

• Available with AWD & in the fully loaded variant (unlike the Hyundai Creta)
Shouldn't this be AWD & AT.
Fabulous review guys!! Had forwarded the link of this review to my friend who was all set for Fortuner and now he's seriously considering XUV after reading this review.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 24th December 2015 at 18:50.
Old 24th December 2015, 18:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Shouldn't this be AWD & AT.

As we are talking about the XUV Automatic hence its correctly mentioned as it (Automatic) is available in AWD and fully loaded variant unlike the Creta whose AT is available in SX+ rather than fully loaded SX (O)
mayank0782 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks