Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 19:47   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Doesn't it make sense to wait for the new engine that meets the emission norms and be supported for longer? The 2.0 is more powerful and the 1.8 is pretty long in the tooth. Higher cost for a new engine seems a fair trade.
Depends. The 1.8 is a solid performer whose gremlins have long been solved. The 2.0 will be brand new. Combined with price hike plus more innovative taxes etc by tax hungry GoI, the end price could be ~20% higher without any major looks improvements or features.

Also, do these emissions improvements in such engines mean anything to Indian regulators or consumers as both will be much higher than BS VI I assume? Plus unlikely VW will let Skoda India add too much to the already superb Superb given the dismal Passat sales :-)

I say buy now.

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd March 2018 at 20:10.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 23:12   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Doesn't it make sense to wait for the new engine that meets the emission norms and be supported for longer? The 2.0 is more powerful and the 1.8 is pretty long in the tooth. Higher cost for a new engine seems a fair trade.
Well the 1.8TSI is a tried and tested engine with a lot of potential. The new 2.0TSI is said to be using a Budack cycle for efficiency and lacks the punch of the older 2.0TSI (environment standards, eco mode etc over response and acceleration). Being a relatively new engine, there could be teething issues and the like, which are all settled in the 1.8TSI.
Besides, the 1.8TSI EA888 is not such an old engine as it was designed for the MQB platform. Its significantly cheaper than the 2.0TSI and will be somewhat more exciting to drive for petrolheads :-)
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 13:20   #228
Senior - BHPian

Parktronic does not work in navigation mode

Most aspects about Skoda or VW cars are pretty thoughtfully done with attention to detail - For example, if I have parked with hazard lights on, and i turn on right indicator (forgetting to turn off hazard lights), only right indicator blinks, and after indicator is turned /switches off, hazard lights resume!

I found an obvious issue with the navigation using built in maps vs parktronic. Say, you are navigating to a destination, and decide to stop mid-way (or maybe the destination was approximate and you're going to park at the right stop), parktronic does not get triggered - both the sound beeps and parktronic display does not come on :-( I have checked this with front sensors, not with the rear ones - but probably works the same.
Now, while, navigation should have priority over most other displays like radio, or car data, or settings etc, surely you have to stop if there is an obstacle in the way and car is at parktronic speeds, right ? Else you just end up hitting something, and may not reach your destination as planned!

Skoda needs to fix this behaviour of navigation vs parktronic, so that
a) Parktronic audible alerts always sound, no matter what
b) Parktronic display comes on over navigation - driver anyways also has MID indications for built-in navigation.
Old 24th March 2018, 16:36   #229
BHPian

Booked skoda superb TDI 2.0 style variant from TAFE showroom.
Expected delivery will be by April 2
naren_kk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 17:49   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_kk View Post
Booked skoda superb TDI 2.0 style variant from TAFE showroom.
Expected delivery will be by April 2
Many Congrats, do a proper PDI by the tbhp checklist. And be careful of asking TAFE to clean the car (via dry/chemical wash).

Later, could you confirm whether your car's Boss Connect feature works with the Skoda One/Media App ? And if you have a WLAN menu in the central HU ?
Thanks.
Old 26th March 2018, 14:07   #231
BHPian

Skoda Superb TSI DSG Clutch pack replacement

My Superb TSI with 7 speed DSG has run 60k kms.

She has been driven 100% by me and I have taken utmost care of the car . Be it servicing regularly at the authorized service station to carrying additional engine oil in the boot since the TSI is thirsty.Also to make sure that the DSG does not pack up I have been engaging neutral at traffic snarls so that the clutch does not wear prematurely.

Have avoided taking the car to any steep climbs. I even got the transmission oil changed when Autocar magazine carried an article for the same.

The thing is now at slow speeds between D2 and D3 I sometimes feel that there is a slight shudder as if the clutch is getting packed.

I even PM'ed Sahil , since he too has a similar Superb , he advised to ask Skoda for a replacement under goodwill warranty.

I then showed it to the dealer , their mechanic did TD the car but the problem could not be replicated , moreover he mentioned that if the clutch is indeed getting packed it would be very much evident in all gearshifts not necessarily in lower speeds.On asking whether the problem is a common one he replied that they have indeed changed the clutch plates on both petrol and diesel automatic Superbs.

I was still not sure and since have been quite busy this year I have mostly parked the Skoda in the garage and use my other cars.

Any members who have had a similar experience with their DSG's, or have had a clutch plate replacement done?

Last edited by ishlinea7260 : 26th March 2018 at 14:08.
Old 26th March 2018, 16:06   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb TSI DSG Clutch pack replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post

The thing is now at slow speeds between D2 and D3 I sometimes feel that there is a slight shudder as if the clutch is getting packed.

Any members who have had a similar experience with their DSG's, or have had a clutch plate replacement done?
My GT TSI 1.2 started showing these symptoms after 15000km of driving. I think this is a S/W issue, a case of poor DSG programming. Dealers are aware of it. They blame it on bad fuel quality. In my case, they changed the fuel filter, poured in some liquid in the petrol tank and the issue went away for a few days and came back again. I kept telling them this is a s/w issue because my 1.8 TSI Laura which has done 55000km has never faced any issues due to bad petrol - simply because it is MT, so I change the gears as per my feel rather than ECU doing it based on some fixed algorithm. I think the DSG is programmed for a late downshift and early upshift. They should have been more conservative with the shift points.

Try changing the fuel filter and a tank full of Speed 97 (or use fuel additive). if the issue goes away, frequent cleaning/replacement of fule filter + regular use of speed 97 will be cheaper (and less hassle) than replacement of DSG clutch-plates. And if you are not experiencing any power loss in a specific gear (the speed to engine RPM mapping is same as before) then the clutch-plates are not worn out and replacing them will make no difference IMO.

I am curious why this problem shows up early on 1.2 TSI compared to 1.8! One reaosn may be the size of the fuel filter(?) The one on 1.8 should be definitely bigger (higher flow) and hence takes longer to clog to a level where the s/w shift-points become inappropriate. Just my theory.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 19:26   #233
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb TSI DSG Clutch pack replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for the reply anandpadhye.

Honestly I had no idea that fuel could be a culprit behind this issue, though I try to fill up with Speed as much as possible but I only have access to Speed 91 ,that too in Chandigarh (50 kms away).

Nearest Speed 97 pump would be in Delhi NCR (200 kms away) so that's a problem.

Moreover the car was serviced at 55000 kms last July, so the new filter has been in place for barely 5000kms.

Just received a text from the local dealer that Skoda is organizing a 40 point check up thinking of getting her checked once more and might fill up on Speed once am in Chandigarh.

Till then I am going to keep her parked mostly.

Ah the joy of owning a Skoda!
Old 4th April 2018, 13:29   #234
BHPian

Skoda Superb DSG shudder at low gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Thanks for the reply Anandpadhye but as per the owners manual, it is not advised to use fuel additives in the 1.8 TSI

When you used additives were there any issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : Official Review-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by ishlinea7260 : 4th April 2018 at 13:30.
Old 4th April 2018, 14:56   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

In my case (Polo GT TSI 1.2 DSG), the VW service center themselves poured the additive into the fuel tank saying this is the official recommendation from VW for the DSG shuddering problems being reported by GT TSI customers.

As I mentioned, the shuddering went away and slowly came back after a couple of tank fulls. No other issue faced, but I sold the car in Jan (exchanged it for the Polo GTI). Now the GTI has the same config as yours (1.8 TSI +7DSG), that too in the higher state of tune (192PS), I will keep you posted if the DSG shuddering crops up. So far the GTI has done only 2000km, so it's too early.
Old 6th May 2018, 22:24   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove the Superb 2.0 DSG back-to-back with the Passat 2.0 DSG. Came away much more impressed with the Superb.

Much 'younger' interior. Passat was Uncle-type
Better sound insulation
Dealer attitude better. Superb actually cared for and wanting to sell. Passat an outlier and has to sell itself attitude
Passat felt like a typical eponymous upmarket German taxi. Superb had more character and driver-oriented.

Dislikes:
Kodiaq seems to be the new flagship. Not the India Superb
Due for facelift soonish to LED headlights I feel
Very similar to my Octavia :-(
I extensively test drove the old Superb and the Nappa leather was much more luxurious on those.
Some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : Official Review-s1.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s2.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s3.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s4.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s5.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s6.jpeg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-s7.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th May 2018 at 22:43.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 22:11   #237
BHPian

I took the delivery of my skoda superb 2.0 TDI Style variant magnetic brown colour last month from TAFE dealer.

My suggestion is to go for skoda superb instead of Passat. Interiors are bright and it has a fluidic external appearance.

So far I have driven 1500 kms and enjoyed driving the beast. I have done the ceramic coating from FYENLAB and affixed CR 70 for my front windshield.

Ordered the laser cut dual colour number plates.
naren_kk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 17:22   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_kk View Post
I took the delivery of my skoda superb 2.0 TDI Style variant magnetic brown colour last month from TAFE dealer.

My suggestion is to go for skoda superb instead of Passat. Interiors are bright and it has a fluidic external appearance.
I agree .

Did you get any offers/discounts? Post pictures!
Old 10th May 2018, 21:23   #239
BHPian

Test drove the L&K TSI variant. I felt some kind of lag between me pressing the accelerator pedal and the vehicle taking off. I guess thats why most people feel the new skoda twins dont feel as fun to drive as the previous generations. Checked on briskoda forums where some owners recommended pedal tuning boxes to overcome this lag.
Old 12th May 2018, 10:01   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I agree .

Did you get any offers/discounts? Post pictures!

Yes, I got around 2.2 lakhs discount on ex-showroom price.
naren_kk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed