Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 09:35   #136
BANNED

Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

Going just by the sheer number of sightings on the Road alone in the last couple of months, I have seen more Baleno RS than I have ever seen the GT Tsi(in the 4 years of its existence).
So by this crude measure, I would say Maruti definitely has the segment nailed despite the detuned engine or the high price tag.
Old 24th May 2017, 13:11   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
On the other hand any idea how much does the Polo TSI sell in nos every month ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Going just by the sheer number of sightings on the Road alone in the last couple of months, I have seen more Baleno RS than I have ever seen the GT Tsi(in the 4 years of its existence).
So by this crude measure, I would say Maruti definitely has the segment nailed despite the detuned engine or the high price tag.
The Polo sold around 1.8k last month compared to 17k of the Baleno. Assuming a rough percentage ratio of Balenos to Baleno RS, a crude approximation would be below 100 GTs per month. Again I think the realistic numbers would be much less especially for the GT TDI. I think the TSI sells much more than the GT TDI as it is much more value over the regular Polo petrol.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:21   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The Polo sold around 1.8k last month compared to 17k of the Baleno. Assuming a rough percentage ratio of Balenos to Baleno RS, a crude approximation would be below 100 GTs per month. Again I think the realistic numbers would be much less especially for the GT TDI. I think the TSI sells much more than the GT TDI as it is much more value over the regular Polo petrol.

Drive on,
Shibu.
That is because as an all round package, the Regular Baleno is a much better package than the Polo. The Diesel is too expensive, and the Petrol is anaemic. Not to forget the cramped space inside.
Yes the build quality and the fit and finish are unmatched, but for an average Joe a Baleno is definitely better.

But comparisons of these nature go out of the window with these niche variants as the main aim is the enthusiast and the added practicality is rarely going to get you such a customer. But even then, as it seems Maruti is selling more RSs than the TSI , even at that price
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 18:59   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The best way to evaluate the two cars is to just drive them yourself and then arrive at a conclusion.

Numbers after all only convey half the story.
Agree 100%. Have TDed both cars extensively and while the TSi is a good car to drive in the city, there's something quite addictive about a manual gearbox and revving it to 5000-6000 rpm.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th May 2017 at 17:07. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability. Thank you
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 20:12   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Baleno (1.0l boosterjet ) is declared Real MPG champion of 2017 by HonestJohn.co.uk!

Quote:
The Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Boosterjet has been crowned Real MPG champion of 2017. The Suzuki hatchback proved to be the best for real world fuel economy, over the past 12 months, averaging 99 per cent of its advertised MPG.
Quote:
Over the past 12 months, the compact hatchback has outperformed all of its rivals for on-the-road economy, averaging an impressive 99 per cent of its advertised economy. This means a typical driver will get 59.3mpg from the super Suzuki, which is almost identical to its model average.”
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-capture.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 01:27   #141
BHPian

Autocar India has come out with the review of Baleno RS.
According to the review, the car feels more powerful, but not by a huge margin.
The in gear acceleration is better than regular Baleno.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-balenorsingeartimings.jpg

The car handles well at corners, due to stiffened suspension. The ride quality doesn't suffer and car didn't scrape with full load.
The steering however lacks feedback. The high price is also a deterrent, more so when the regular Baleno is reasonably quick.
They sum up by saying, the car is suitable for those who want the practicality of Baleno with some extra performance and handling.

Last edited by PraNeel : 28th May 2017 at 01:35.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 11:58   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
One interesting observation from this review. Baleno RS has all four disc brakes and still the braking distance is more than regular Baleno. Is it because of additional weight??

RS : 28.37
1.2 : 25.97
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 12:07   #143
BANNED

I'm surprised too, this additional 10 percent stopping distance was not expected given the 4 disc brakes in the RS. This could be a Typo, I guess Autocar Show is prone to making them.

EDIT: Not a typo, Just checked their regular Baleno road test on the website and the 80-0 distance is the same as listed in the video. I guess even the disc brakes can't account for additional weight completely

Last edited by agambhandari : 28th May 2017 at 12:10.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 13:43   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I guess even the disc brakes can't account for additional weight completely
I own 1.2 Baleno and during test drive of RS.. I felt that the brakes are much better (especially the bite). Autocar has used braking distance results of 1.2 Baleno from previous drive. Road conditions might be different
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 15:56   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I own 1.2 Baleno and during test drive of RS.. I felt that the brakes are much better (especially the bite). Autocar has used braking distance results of 1.2 Baleno from previous drive. Road conditions might be different
Agreed, this definitely needs a back to back comparison for a fair result
Old 30th May 2017, 02:06   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti's Chief Engineer Mr. C.V.Raman had mentioned about the use of a certain additive to prevent soot buildup in GDI engines(Baleno RS).

Here is the part number of the additive
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-ddddddddd.jpg

https://marutistoragenew.blob.core.w...l_brochure.pdf

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2017 at 20:03. Reason: Adding source :)
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 09:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
According to the review, the car feels more powerful, but not by a huge margin.
The review is spot on. It is just a Baleno variant with a somewhat more peppier engine option. Anybody who thinks it is 'sporty' is just buying into the marketing and hype.

The biggest let down is the steering (both on the regular and RS variants). It's almost Hyundai-ish and is a big step down from the earlier EPS on the Swift and Ritz. It gives you very little feedback on curving roads so while the body roll is controlled and chassis is fairly neutral, one doesn't get any confidence to take it at speed, which means that the engine etc is totally moon. I wasn't expecting a Ford or Fiat type steering feel but it's really poor on Maruti's part that they have made the steering on new cars much worse than the existing models.

An underpowered (for a hot hatch) like the old Figo diesel is leagues ahead than this so-called hot hatch when it comes to driving pleasure.

Last edited by chncar : 30th May 2017 at 09:59.
Old 4th June 2017, 21:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Motortrend compares the Figo Sport and the RS. http://www.motortrend.in/newcars/roa...igo-sports.htm

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 17:25   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

PowerDrift Video Comparison : Baleno RS vs Polo GT TSI

Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 01:37   #150
Senior - BHPian

The mileage figures in ACI-June were interesting. 9.7 kmpl in the city and 17 kmpl on the highway. But pushing the car hard got it down to 7.5 kmpl!! Yes you do kind of expect this sort of behavior from a turbo petrol but I kind of expected it to be better given the weight etc.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks