Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 19:32   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti's Chief Engineer Mr. C.V.Raman had mentioned about the use of a certain additive to prevent soot buildup in GDI engines(Baleno RS).
This is the first time Maruti has recommended to use injector cleaner, I believe.

Sharing some technical information regarding the same. SDT can help in diagnosis by checking the long term fuel trim data. If the value is above 17 percent : "perform fuel injector cleaning" . Also, the injector cleaner is supposed to be used every 20K km.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-img20170613wa0070.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th June 2017 at 19:35.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 19:43   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
This is the first time Maruti has recommended to use injector cleaner, I believe.
Yes this is the first time from Maruti, because carbon deposition on intake valves is a common issue with GDI engines.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 19:32   #153
BHPian

I was very disappointed with my short test drive of the Baleno RS. I am planning to go for a longer drive but the first impression wasn't good.

1. I found the power delivery very spiky when you floor the throttle. Almost nothing below 2000 rpm, and then a big shove that ends very abruptly. Even when I drove it normally, it just didn't have the torque to make quick overtakes. My Jet is much easier to drive in the city.

2. I found the suspension too soft for my liking, but this may be an unfair statement as it was based on how the car reacted when going over speed breakers, but my gut tell's me it's soft.

3. Steering was way too light, and had no feel at all. Again it's probably unfair coming from driving a Jet with HPS and a first generation swift with wider tyres but it's still too light.

4. I found the gear lever to be too high and my arm ended up being at an awkward angle every time I shifted. The gear shift quality though was nice and positive.

5. I like simple clear instrumentation, I just found the dials and MID with some sort of torque readout to be gimmicky.

6. The seat was just too low for me, and again this is probably coming from owning a Linea and Swift which have significantly higher seating.

I was looking for a replacement for my 11 year old swift but I guess the Baleno RS isn't the one for me, I just didn't feel happy driving it. If I look at throttle response, bottom end torque and driveability my old Swift still trounces the Baleno RS.

Have a good weekend.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 19:50   #154
BHPian

Okay, I just had to come in and post right now. I never really liked the Baleno much, didn't think it was particularly good looking, and thought of it as just another "me too" hatch from Maruti. Boy was I wrong!

We are looking for a small, city run about hatch for local use. It would primarily be used by my mum, and sometimes by me. In that, she was okay with any decent car, as long as it worked. I on the other hand wanted one which I could push about a bit (snicker, snicker). So we set about with a broad canvas, no short list at all. We decided that I and my younger bro would test drive whatever we felt was worthy and shortlist for our mum to take the final decision.

Even though the Polo GT TSi didn't impress me too much, it was still fun to drive and that moved up my shortlist pretty fast. I liked the Figo too, but the cabin is just too mundane, and I really wanted a high revving petrol. Just don't like diesels really.

Mum and bro kept on insisting that we should try the Baleno and just to clear the air, I though I'd give the RS a chance. That test drive happened about 15 mins ago.

What. A. Car.

I absolutely loved it! I could push it, throw it, brake it, revvvvvv it, and it'd just keep on going. The interiors are solid, the seats are simply superb, and that sweet and subtle body kit really made quite a difference.
It helped that the test car was in red, which looked fantastic. The gearbox is great, slots in properly, the engine sounds nice, good even, though I liked the sound of the GT better, this wasn't far off, and the space inside is cherry. I took the car to very high speeds on the express way and I felt no reason to doubt the car even then.

The only two things I could find fault with were that I wanted a bit more of a shove, that the power could've been a bit more, and an automatic wasn't even an option. Though, let me tell you, after driving it today, I would'nt mind this manual at all. At all.

It is about feelings, right? The Baleno RS made me feel great. I didn't want the drive to end, and it made me feel better than when I drove the Figo or the GT TSi. After the drive, I looked back. Back at the car that was about to go away. I never did that with any of the others. And that's that. Barring anything weird, we will be putting in the order for the RS soon.

Last edited by Eddy : 16th June 2017 at 20:52. Reason: Removed mention of overspeeding on public roads
ach1lles is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 20:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
It would primarily be used by my mum, and sometimes by me. In that, she was okay with any decent car, as long as it worked.
Did you try to test drive the NA 1.2 Alpha or the Zeta CVT ?
Old 16th June 2017, 20:30   #156
BHPian

Quote:
It is about feelings, right? The Baleno RS made me feel great. I didn't want the drive to end, and it made me feel better than when I drove the Figo or the GT TSi. After the drive, I looked back. Back at the car that was about to go away. I never did that with any of the others. And that's that. Barring anything weird, we will be putting in the order for the RS soon.
Just goes to show how perceptions vary, and one should never just go by reviews or what others say but must try the car for themselves and then make a call.

I do agree with you that the brakes were good and had a nice bite, and that the engine had a nice sporty note when revved.

Good luck on the new car.
Old 16th June 2017, 22:42   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Curious to know if your test drive had any curves or winding roads on it. I felt that the Baleno (both NA and RS) had the steering feel as the main drawback that prevented one from having more fun with it.
Old 16th June 2017, 23:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
Did you try to test drive the NA 1.2 Alpha or the Zeta CVT ?
Nope. Just the RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Just goes to show how perceptions vary, and one should never just go by reviews or what others say but must try the car for themselves and then make a call.
Absolutely. While the reviewer's opinions carry weight and have their place, and because of their experience they can point out things that regular folks like us would miss, in the end we have to make up our mind for our use, our experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Curious to know if your test drive had any curves or winding roads on it. I felt that the Baleno (both NA and RS) had the steering feel as the main drawback that prevented one from having more fun with it.
Here's the thing about me and steering feel, I never got it. My mind may be inert to it, or it's possible that I've mostly driven cars that had no feel and that can be both a good and a bad thing, so in that respect, I don't care.

There weren't any winding and twisty roads as such, but I did weave through traffic and I liked it. The car kind of shrinks around you, and that's great to have in any car. I drive the first gen Swift and the Baleno is definitely bigger and wider, but at no point did it feel so. Infact, while driving the Baleno felt smaller, more agile, more willing.

Edit: Just saw that our posts were only minutes apart!

Quote:
I was looking for a replacement for my 11 year old swift but I guess the Baleno RS isn't the one for me, I just didn't feel happy driving it. If I look at throttle response, bottom end torque and driveability my old Swift still trounces the Baleno RS.
We have the same 11 year old Swift too, haha. Man, two almost opposite view points here, incredible.

We are all sum totals of our collective life experiences. Clearly yours has been different even with the same car, heheh.

Last edited by ach1lles : 16th June 2017 at 23:20.
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 06:42   #159
BHPian

Quote:
We have the same 11 year old Swift too, haha. Man, two almost opposite view points here, incredible.

We are all sum totals of our collective life experiences. Clearly yours has been different even with the same car, heheh.
I forgot to mention that mine is modified, so has a bit more oomph than a stock car.

Yes, two completely different views without any animosity which is great to see.

My only suggestion when you get your car is to change the tyres to something better. You wont regret it.
keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:15   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I forgot to mention that mine is modified, so has a bit more oomph than a stock car.
Haha, sneaky, aren't you? :P What modifications?

Quote:
My only suggestion when you get your car is to change the tyres to something better. You wont regret it.
Sure, I'd keep that in mind. I'd definitely like to change the alloys, the stock ones are just so ugly, even the new Dzire has better ones. What would you recommend for the tyres? Just better or should I go for an upsize too? Also, which tyres? The forum's favourite seems to be the P3ST.

Last edited by ach1lles : 17th June 2017 at 13:15. Reason: messed up the quote tags
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 14:28   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Haha, sneaky, aren't you? :P What modifications?
Probably not the correct thread to give details, but lets just say its had work done to the engine, suspension and brakes. Nothing really over the top but enough to make a difference.

Quote:
Sure, I'd keep that in mind. I'd definitely like to change the alloys, the stock ones are just so ugly, even the new Dzire has better ones. What would you recommend for the tyres? Just better or should I go for an upsize too? Also, which tyres? The forum's favourite seems to be the P3ST.
I have Hankooks on the Swift and the T-Jet which according to me are amazing, but the Michelin P3 ST and even the Continental CC5's or MC5's are very good.

If you up-size you will get a slightly stiffer ride and a slightly heavier steering. Be prepared for that.
Old 4th July 2017, 16:30   #162
BHPian

I'm in the middle of deciding on a new hatchback and the Baleno RS is on my list as a petrol-head.
Just sometime back Nexa RM gave me the news that the RS will get a price cut of 50K post GST and the final price will be known little later. That means it should bring it to ~10.3L OTR without other offers?

Last edited by Sangre : 4th July 2017 at 16:59. Reason: The final price is still not clarified
Old 5th July 2017, 01:54   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre View Post
I'm in the middle of deciding on a new hatchback and the Baleno RS is on my list as a petrol-head.
Just sometime back Nexa RM gave me the news that the RS will get a price cut of 50K post GST and the final price will be known little later. That means it should bring it to ~10.3L OTR without other offers?
Yes, the Baleno RS got approximately 40k price reduction post GST. It was Rs.8,95,267 ex-showroom Ranchi before GST. Post GST, the ex-showroom price is Rs.8,51,227. OTR Price in Ranchi is around 9.2 Lacs.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 5th July 2017 at 01:56.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 14:48   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes, the Baleno RS got approximately 40k price reduction post GST. It was Rs.8,95,267 ex-showroom Ranchi before GST. Post GST, the ex-showroom price is Rs.8,51,227. OTR Price in Ranchi is around 9.2 Lacs.

Regards,
Shashi
Ok. Bangalore Ex-showroom has dropped from Rs. 8,96,311 to Rs. 8,53,113. The new OTR price is Rs.10,37,000.

So, will I go for this now? Depends on how well the RS is able to convince me and my family.No doubts about its practicality.

It's the extra power that still hasn't convinced me. I'm ready to pay 1.3 lakhs more than the Alpha for something substantial. On one test drive, the RS felt very similar to the NA 1.2 Baleno. Although it was very much within city roads. Maybe a longer drive on some open roads should settle it.
Old 8th July 2017, 01:22   #165
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Afterall I ended buying 2017 Baleno RS after a long stint with my last car being 2003 Model Zen and 1998 Maruti 800 Offcourse this was a leap for me and much wanted affair with this pocket rocket!

I know and aware of the fact that, so many mixed reviews and comparison tests exists in this thread itself and all overall auto portals, hereby confusing the end user about final decision.I remember I made up my mind for Fiat Abarth and second thought was VW Polo GT TSI ,suddenly one weekday I ended up in Nexa booking an Baleno RS for obvious reasons.Until then enjoy few random click from my oldie 1+

Note : Without any test drive or second thought I took delivery on final day and first ride had a BIG smile on my face and family offcourse!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-brs_1.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-brs_2.jpg  

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-brs_3.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th September 2017 at 11:51. Reason: Please limit your smileys to 2 per post
bugatti_86 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed