Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2017, 12:06   #181
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review

I have a few questions for the Baleno RS owners and those who have had thorough test drives of the car.

How is the highway performance of the car? Does the additional power and better in-gear acceleration result in a more relaxed highway drive, as compared to the Baleno 1.2? Basically want to know how the highway cruising capability of the Baleno RS is like.

Also, Maruti claim the steering has been made heavier and suspension stiffened. Does this give any advantage to the Baleno RS in terms of dynamics on highway drives, compared to the Baleno 1.2?
Old 26th September 2017, 15:25   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I have a few questions for the Baleno RS owners and those who have had thorough test drives of the car.

How is the highway performance of the car? Does the additional power and better in-gear acceleration result in a more relaxed highway drive, as compared to the Baleno 1.2? Basically want to know how the highway cruising capability of the Baleno RS is like.

Also, Maruti claim the steering has been made heavier and suspension stiffened. Does this give any advantage to the Baleno RS in terms of dynamics on highway drives, compared to the Baleno 1.2?
I haven't driven the Baleno 1.2 so can't offer a comparison. However I recently got a Baleno RS and give you a feed back on what I felt over the short 700+ kms of city v/w highway .

The gear shifts on the high way are quite reasonable. If you do not want to drive aggressively, there is enough in gear torque to carry out over taking maneuvers. However what really surprised me was the ride which is excellent even on back roads.

The steering is not light at all. Even at triple digits speeds it feel weighted adequately.

Hope this helps.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 15:48   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I haven't driven the Baleno 1.2 so can't offer a comparison. However I recently got a Baleno RS and give you a feed back on what I felt over the short 700+ kms of city v/w highway
Drive on,
Shibu.
Please post a detailed ownership report if possible. It will help prospective buyers as there seems to just one or two ownership reports.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 23:19   #184
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't driven the Baleno 1.2 so can't offer a comparison. However I recently got a Baleno RS and give you a feed back on what I felt over the short 700+ kms of city v/w highway .
Hi, I would want to know more about the ride quality at higher speeds. Can you benchmark it with some other cars you've extensively driven? I am also a bit doubtful on it's ride quality on bad roads as the sidewall height is on the lower side. Also, are there any major rattling issues with the car or you think the vehicle may develop based on your ownership?

Actually I want a good powerful city friendly car that can also handle Ladakh fairly well. I know the RS doesn't fit the bill well but then I've little choices. I am doubtful of the future of Ford(Ecosport) given it's sales and with Tata(Nexon), its all about the poor QC and reliability.

Last edited by ampere : 29th September 2017 at 23:48. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 30th September 2017, 20:24   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanket View Post
Hi, I would want to know more about the ride quality at higher speeds. Can you benchmark it with some other cars you've extensively driven? I am also a bit doubtful on it's ride quality on bad roads as the sidewall height is on the lower side. Also, are there any major rattling issues with the car or you think the vehicle may develop based on your ownership?

Actually I want a good powerful city friendly car that can also handle Ladakh fairly well. I know the RS doesn't fit the bill well but then I've little choices. I am doubtful of the future of Ford(Ecosport) given it's sales and with Tata(Nexon), its all about the poor QC and reliability.
Actually the ride quality is one of the things that stand out for me and you can rest easy on that aspect. It actually betters the Polo GT that I had previously on this and is light years ahead of the first generation Swift that I had. Yesterday night, travelling back to my hometown I went across some unexpected rough patches at around 60 kph or so. The damping was pretty good and it did not crash through at all. At the same time going over an undulating piece of road does not create unnecessary vertical movement at the back which is a typical bug bear of softly sprung cars. So the compromise is pretty good.

Can't really comment one rattling as it is very early in the game. However I also owned a Swift previously which remained rattle free for 1.6 lakh kilometers. So unless the fastening standards have deteriorated since then, I expect the same from the Baleno.

It is a light car and you do get the pros and cons that come with it. Everything is light and you automatically handle everything like that. Opening the door, shutting it for example just need light forces unlike the Polo where sometimes even opening the door seemed to need quite some force. It's low weight means it is peppy and eager to change direction. Weight transfer around a corner is not a real big issue. However it also may mean the car may skip over mid corner bumps. With my GT you could literally feel the rear end squat on an aggressive launch. Both call for a different approach to driving if you want the use the weight or the lack of it to your advantage.

If you are in the habit of doing serious triple digits speeds regularly I think this may not be the ride for you. At those speeds wind buffeting, the ability to hunker down on the road, the feeling of safety inside etc become important which are aided by weight. The high speed composure of European cars are tough to beat in this regard.

Other than space and a slightly elevated driving position, I am not sure it can give you the attributes of an SUV though.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 30th September 2017 at 20:33.
shibujp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 20:37   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Please post a detailed ownership report if possible. It will help prospective buyers as there seems to just one or two ownership reports.
Definitely. I would just like to get to know the car better to put up a more informed review.

For instance it is just yesterday that I noticed that the transfer of a call from the phone to the car's audio when switching on the car was not as seamless as in the Polo.

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 30th September 2017, 21:27   #187
BANNED

Quote:
However I also owned a Swift previously which remained rattle free for 1.6 lakh kilometers. So unless the fastening standards have deteriorated since then, I expect the same from the Baleno.
Even I currently own first generation D'zire which is holding up decently. I wonder why are Maruti cars criticized so much on this forum. They can obviously not be compared to a VW but I don't know if the difference would be as stark with some other brands like Hyundai.

Quote:
If you are in the habit of doing serious triple digits speeds regularly I think this may not be the ride for you. At those speeds wind buffeting, the ability to hunker down on the road, the feeling of safety inside etc become important which are aided by weight. The high speed composure of European cars are tough to beat in this regard.
No I'll not be doing very high speeds very regularly. My usage is primarily in the city, it's only the outstation trips that I am worried for. (which won't be very frequent)

Quote:
Other than space and a slightly elevated driving position, I am not sure it can give you the attributes of an SUV though.
This is what I am skeptical of. See I would definetely be doing Ladakh and spiti in the car I am about to buy. Now Ladakh involves quite intense water streams so doesn't the high ground clearance in the SUV give it any advantage?
Then, for handling extremely bad roads, the approach and breakover angles of the SUV should also come into the picture ideally?
This is what my understanding is, and I would like to be corrected/advised if at all I am wrong anywhere.

I would also want to know the NVH levels inside the cabin. Tyre noise and wind noise specifically, since engine note is something I love of the RS!
Other than this, I find the rear seat to be extremely short on thigh support especially for a tall passenger. How is the lumbar support on the front seats?

Another thing that irritates me is the driver armrest. I am over 6ft and still cannot use it! Did you try replacing it with some after market ones?

I've to close the deal this October(after seeing the Ecosport Facelift) so would request you to post your detailed ownership review. You can always edit it for any small things that you may discover later on.

Best,
Sanket.
Old 30th September 2017, 22:47   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanket View Post
Even I currently own first generation D'zire which is holding up decently. I wonder why are Maruti cars criticized so much on this forum. They can obviously not be compared to a VW but I don't know if the difference would be as stark with some other brands like Hyundai..
I believe rattles to a certain extent are a by product of how you use your car on rough roads. If you are in the habit to negotiating rough roads at a faster clip, then Hyundai and VW hold up much better to rough use compared to Maruti.

Quote:
This is what I am skeptical of. See I would definetely be doing Ladakh and spiti in the car I am about to buy. Now Ladakh involves quite intense water streams so doesn't the high ground clearance in the SUV give it any advantage?
There are quite a few people who have done the trip in their sedans and hatchbacks. So I don't see why the Baleno would not be able to do it. The Swift for example is a regular feature in the Raid De Himalaya.

Quote:
I would also want to know the NVH levels inside the cabin. Tyre noise and wind noise specifically, since engine note is something I love of the RS!
Same here. I like the engine note. I did not find wind or tyre noise to be a major issue so far.

Quote:
Other than this, I find the rear seat to be extremely short on thigh support especially for a tall passenger. How is the lumbar support on the front seats?
The seats are actually a bit too soft on long drives. I would have liked them firmer. Not a huge irritant but would be a welcome improvement.

Quote:
Another thing that irritates me is the driver armrest. I am over 6ft and still cannot use it! Did you try replacing it with some after market ones?
I had an issue with it when I set the seat height to it's lowest position. It started to foul with my elbow when I shifted gears. But my current seating position is a couple of notches higher so this is not an issue any longer. Perhaps you should see if a lower seating position helps you.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 30th September 2017 at 22:50.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 00:07   #189
BANNED

Quote:
I believe rattles to a certain extent are a by product of how you use your car on rough roads. If you are in the habit to negotiating rough roads at a faster clip, then Hyundai and VW hold up much better to rough use compared to Maruti.
Well I do actually have a habit if going slightly fast over bad roads. So a Ford should also be fairing better in this area right? And the Nexon, with its excellent ride quality would anyways swallow bad roads much better right?

Quote:
There are quite a few people who have done the trip in their sedans and hatchbacks. So I don't see why the Baleno would not be able to do it. The Swift for example is a regular feature in the Raid De Himalaya.
Well, see even I've read travelogues of such people. See it's a matter of luck. Most of them would agree that at times the risk was more than it should be and the trip could have been a lot more different.
If you're going on a vacation you would want to enjoy and not worry all the time about your car's underbody.

I would have already booked the Nexon, had it not been the niggles that were discovered in media drive cars. Tata says they were pre-production cars, but I don't think majority of the issues would have been ironed out from the first batch itself.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:25   #190
BHPian

Quote:
The gear shifts on the high way are quite reasonable. If you do not want to drive aggressively, there is enough in gear torque to carry out over taking maneuvers. However what really surprised me was the ride which is excellent even on back roads.

The steering is not light at all. Even at triple digits speeds it feel weighted adequately.
Could you tell us what is the RPM at speeds 100-120 kmph in 4th or 5th gear? I did take a longish test drive recently but could not go beyond 70 kmph.

It may sound strange but I am conflicted between Baleno RS and Platinum Etios VX and have to decide this week between the two. I am basically looking for an all-purpose petrol car under 10 lakhs which combines some fun in driving with practicality, and which would last for a long time. In the city both are quite brisk, but I guess RS would be better on highways. On bad roads, Etios would perhaps be better, but after 5 years or so it would be quite an old car, whereas RS would still be contemporary.

I am hoping that opinions from BHPians would help me decide.
Old 13th November 2017, 22:39   #191
BHPian

Autocar India has come out with a comparison of Baleno RS, Polo GT and Abarth Punto.

According to them Punto is the hot hatch, Baleno is the practical hatch with most space and features. Polo GT is placed last according to them, however it has the best in gear acceleration times due to the DCT.

Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review-hothatchcomparison.jpg

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 05:42   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Could you tell us what is the RPM at speeds 100-120 kmph in 4th or 5th gear? I did take a longish test drive recently but could not go beyond 70 kmph.

It may sound strange but I am conflicted between Baleno RS and Platinum Etios VX and have to decide this week between the two. I am basically looking for an all-purpose petrol car under 10 lakhs which combines some fun in driving with practicality, and which would last for a long time. In the city both are quite brisk, but I guess RS would be better on highways. On bad roads, Etios would perhaps be better, but after 5 years or so it would be quite an old car, whereas RS would still be contemporary.

I am hoping that opinions from BHPians would help me decide.
At 100kmph the engine is ticking over at around 3000rpm in 4th.

The ride is actually quite good over bad roads and I rate it over the Polo in this regard. Compared to the Etios the Baleno is a much larger car and as you pointed out much better appointed in terms of features and the quality of the cabin. The Etios will be better in terms of mileage. My RS gave me a best of 17kmpl on highways driven carefully. Driving fast and aggressively on the throttle drops it down to around 12/13 kmpl.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:48   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the Etios the Baleno is a much larger car and as you pointed out much better appointed in terms of features and the quality of the cabin. The Etios will be better in terms of mileage. My RS gave me a best of 17kmpl on highways driven carefully. Driving fast and aggressively on the throttle drops it down to around 12/13 kmpl.
Thanks for the info. So it will be around 2500 rpm in 5th, I guess.

Sorry, isn't Etios the larger car? As regards mileage, I was thinking the opposite. I thought I will get better mileage in RS if driven smoothly. But your experience is different.

You mentioned in this thread about the soft seats in the car. Would you say long distance driving will make you tired sooner than normal? What is your experience?

Do you think RS will last for 10-12 years, 2 lakh kilometers, if it is well taken care of? I know there is no way one can tell, but you have owned a Swift. Just your gut feeling.

Sorry for asking so many questions.
Old 16th November 2017, 18:33   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Thanks for the info. So it will be around 2500 rpm in 5th, I guess.
Yes, 100kmph is around 2500 in fifth gear. Just happened to check it out today morning.

Quote:
Sorry, isn't Etios the larger car? As regards mileage, I was thinking the opposite. I thought I will get better mileage in RS if driven smoothly. But your experience is different.
My bad. For some reason I misread your post as the Liva instead of the Baleno. If you are looking for size and travelling comfort the Etios being a sedan will be more comfortable. The rear seats especially. The fun factor may be a bit more in the Baleno versus the Etios.

The best mileage that I got was off the two lane highways that are most common in Kerala. But I did consciously keep to 4th and 5th gear as much as possible sacrificing overtakes that would cause me to drop lower than that. On a four lane highway where to can do speeds close to 100 for a long stint I believe you should get better figures. Not sure how the Etios may compare but I have a feeling that the lows won't be so low given that the Baleno is a turbo petrol.

Quote:
You mentioned in this thread about the soft seats in the car. Would you say long distance driving will make you tired sooner than normal? What is your experience?
Regarding the seats, the Baleno's seats are less comfortable on long drives than the Polo. This is not a great deal breaker for me but for someone lwho has a sensitive back they will sure miss the seats of the Polo which was my previous ride. I intent to get a set of seat covers to see if they improving things. However I feel that comfort factor is relative to that in another more comfortable car. Polo has great seats but the space to enjoy them is distinctly less.

Quote:
Do you think RS will last for 10-12 years, 2 lakh kilometers, if it is well taken care of? I know there is no way one can tell, but you have owned a Swift. Just your gut feeling.
Based on my experience so far I don't see any reason why the RS should not last quite long. No squeaks or rattles so far but it is pretty early days.

Quote:
Sorry for asking so many questions.
Don't be. That's what this forum is for.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 4th December 2017, 19:46   #195
BHPian

I have booked a Baleno RS a little while ago and apparently the car has been dispatched.

A conversation with a colleague regarding the introduction of BS VI fuel in Delhi and later all over India has led to some worries. Wondering if it is the right time to buy a vehicle.

There seem to be doubts about the effect of BS VI norm fuel on BS IV cars. I have not found much information but it seems diesel cars will be more affected. I am also wondering whether the boosterjet engine will be better equipped for the new fuel because it is there on European cars and European fuel standards will be more like BS VI. Am I right thinking on these lines? Or am I just consoling myself?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks