Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2017, 11:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
It is still available in 2018 garb with lots of carbon fiber parts that reduce weight from the previous year and increase downforce.
Volvo and Polestar have officially parted ways. Polestar is no more shown on the Indian Volvo website. If at all it is available, it would be the last few pieces of a model where the official discontinuance has been announced.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th November 2017 at 11:58.
Old 5th November 2017, 12:04   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
That's because they didn't fully test the 530D and so have used the figures off the website. See attached pic where ACI mentions that the 0-100 times are as claimed by BMW.
Well they did do a detailed test later on in the August issue and the tested time is the same - 5.74 seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Octavia vRS : Official Review-530d.jpg  

84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 12:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Volvo and Polestar have officially parted ways. Polestar is no more shown on the Indian Volvo website. If at all it is available, it would be the last few pieces of a model where the official discontinuance has been announced.
Then what is this?

https://www.volvocars.com/in/cars/ne...s/s60/polestar

They just launched the new 2018 model internationally last month.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 12:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's because they didn't fully test the 530D and so have used the figures off the website. See attached pic where ACI mentions that the 0-100 times are as claimed by BMW.
I believe this pic is from the first drive report in Autocar magazine. They did test the car extensively when they did comparo with E Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Well they did do a detailed test later on in the August issue and the tested time is the same - 5.74 seconds.
Yes, this is it

Also as per Autocar the difference between Octavia RS and BMW 530i is hardly 0.04 seconds. This is nothing conclusive. Did they test both the cars on same road under same conditions? What was the fuel used? Did they use launch control in BMW?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th November 2017 at 12:22.
Old 5th November 2017, 12:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then what is this?

https://www.volvocars.com/in/cars/ne...s/s60/polestar

They just launched the new 2018 model internationally last month.
Would be the last few pieces of the model.

Check this out:

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.c...ways-with.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Also as per Autocar the difference between Octavia RS and BMW 530i is hardly 0.04 seconds.
And this increases to 0.11 when its 120. As long there's a difference it's faster than a car that's more than twice its price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

Did they test both the cars on same road under same conditions? What was the fuel used?
The same arguments can be extended either way. Maybe the conditions were favourable for the BMW.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th November 2017 at 12:54.
Old 5th November 2017, 13:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would be the last few pieces of the model.

Check this out:

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.c...ways-with.html
They didn't discontinue existing models. That announcement only means future models will have no overlap with Volvos. The Polestar 1 itself is based on the C70 concept.

The Polestar s60 is still available:
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/19913/volv...olestar-models

Anyways this is way off topic. The matter in the end is the vRS has no peers in 30 lac range.

However move to the 50-60 lac range and the Polestar eats everything else including the bimmers in pure straight line acceleration. These commuter BMWs are not in the same league - especially the 530d with that heavy lump in the front.

The 70 lac cars (C43 AMG/S5) are in a similar ballpark in terms of performance with more frills. It is only once you reach the 90 lac Cayman that you really see a big performance boost.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 5th November 2017 at 13:06.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 13:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Anyways this is way off topic. The matter in the end is the vRS has no peers in 30 lac range.

However move to the 50-60 lac range and the Polestar eats everything else including the bimmers in pure straight line acceleration.

The 70 lac cars (C43 AMG/S5) are in a similar ballpark in terms of performance with more frills.
True. We are way off topic. The VRS has no match in its price range and many more than double its price in straight line acceleration. As did the Polestar whose matches in acceleration were far more expensive too. Sad about the discontinuance.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 13:31   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
While I understand the sentiment, and without detracting from the impressive prowess of the vRS in any way, I believe that only a well put-together 6 cylinder or bi-turbo with creature/driver comforts could be an upgrade from a remapped Jetta 2.0 TDI

Back to normal programming for this thread, this vRS is an excellent package. The features and scarcity will ensure that well maintained specimens will likely retain the allure of cult classics in the used car market.
If one has remapped his Jetta then (s)he is definitely going to remap Octavia vRS as well ;-)

While 6 cyl, bi-turbo with RWD would be a league ahead than Octy vRS in terms of driving pleasure, a 2.0 TDi owner will definitely feel 'upgraded' in terms of driving pleasure with vRS.
Old 5th November 2017, 16:25   #54
BHPian

Excellent review, and extraordinary writing skill. Those words under driving experience, ride & handling gave me sensation around leg & hand to push my car. It feels like, I should go for a drive right now! & probably I will take a spin as well.. does it sound like crazy? let it be..

Cheers!
cp171185 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 21:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

Seems some guy's in India just did not want to wait for their warranties to get over. Crazy mods and crazy speeds below.

https://www.rushlane.com/apr-tuned-s...-12253679.html

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 5th November 2017 at 21:39.
Old 5th November 2017, 21:46   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Seems some guy's in India just did not want to wait for their warranties to get over. Crazy mods and crazy speeds below.

https://www.rushlane.com/apr-tuned-s...-12253679.html
Again, that is pushing things beyond the limits of the gearbox. The DQ250 is rated for only upto 400Nm, and the motor anyway makes near that in stock condition.
Old 6th November 2017, 00:20   #57
BHPian

This is what I was thinking when I looked up the specs for DQ250. At stock 350 NM and a rating of 400 NM, there isn't much play left for mods beyond Stage 1. Not that I feel the need for a boost beyond stock but purely as an option, it is limited.
Old 6th November 2017, 01:46   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the vRS get this very DQ250 transmission is Europe as well, or do they use something beefier there?

vRS seems to be the ideal car for the DQ500 they are offering in the Tiguan and Kodiaq. That one is good for 600Nm, IIRC
Old 6th November 2017, 03:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Again, that is pushing things beyond the limits of the gearbox. The DQ250 is rated for only upto 400Nm, and the motor anyway makes near that in stock condition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
This is what I was thinking when I looked up the specs for DQ250. At stock 350 NM and a rating of 400 NM, there isn't much play left for mods beyond Stage 1. Not that I feel the need for a boost beyond stock but purely as an option, it is limited.
Pretty sure there's a TCU map available to unlock the DSG to handle more torque.

APR offers products till stage 3+ using the IS38 Turbo, which has been safely pushed even in a TT in Delhi. Lots of tuners in Europe have done the same mods on the Golf.

Hope that clears the doubt.
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 08:37   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to know that the first lot is sold out.

Thanks to each one of those buyers who have spoken with their money and not just online key strokes.

Skoda should consider giving the manual transmission option next year.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks