Team-BHP - Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/204968-tata-tiago-jtp-official-review-25.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshye (Post 4689666)
But still, will JTP last 10 years, is the only question that I am thinking of now.

Any current modern automobile will certainly last more than 10 years without any major problems if maintained well. The keyword here is "Major". If you consider a Toyota, you will not have any niggles whatsoever and it will be perfectly fine for lakhs of kms of running. With a tata product you may expect that duration to be slightly lesser and you may face more niggles which may be irritating but not deal breakers. If you can live with these niggles and get them sorted, no doubt why the JTP should not last a long time to come! Worst come worst, the JTP may last for 8-9 years instead of 10-12 years. If that is acceptable then it should be a good buy.

Quote:

But after reading GTO's thread I am rethinking a little.
What according to you is superior to a Tiago JTP?! Don't mean to sound confrontational but genuinely mean it; which other superior car do you think could be an option?

Quote:

After a good test drive I am convinced that Tiago JTP is no ordinary car, it off-course is great. But if I have to retain a Tata car for 10 years to make a financial sense of my purchase, should I buy JTSV Tiago/Tigor JTP? Could you well informed and experienced folks please a shade some light on the reliability aspect of a Tata product? I am more skeptical, because JTP gets only 2 years warranty with no extension purchase option.
There are ample examples on this forum (and outside) of Tata products being as reliable as any other (if not more) comparable product in the market, after the expiration of standard warranty. IMO, the Tatas are actually more abuse friendly as well than other vehicles, within the same segment.

Quote:

I maintain my vehicles very well and always get it serviced at company authorized stations only.
Guess you've yourself answered this concern of yours above; no reason why it wont be able to serve you much more than 10 years, if you keep it the way it deserves. Mind you, dealing with Tata dealerships could also be frustrating sometimes but just think about what would you be more happy about in these 10 years - driving a car which brings that smile on your face everytime you're in the driver seat or another which just does its job like any other and gets you from point A to B.

All the best!

Quote:

I maintain my vehicles very well and always get it serviced at company authorized stations only. But still, will JTP last 10 years, is the only question that I am thinking of now.

My petrol Indica has served me for 18 years and still going strong.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.s (Post 4689787)
Any current modern automobile will certainly last more than 10 years without any major problems if maintained well.

Although I don't entirely disagree, but now-a-days most companies design exactly to the requirement - due to cost competitiveness. Gone are the days of over-engineering. Yes, most manufacturers put a lot of efforts through rigorous testing, making sure the requirements are perfectly met - yet, they can't possibly test all possible conditions under the sun that our cars have to endure to.stupid: Additionally, I am little skeptical about ASS of all brands except the front-runner Maruti - speaking through personal experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avinash_m (Post 4689831)
What according to you is superior to a Tiago JTP?! Don't mean to sound confrontational but genuinely mean it; which other superior car do you think could be an option?

I don't know if I should call them superior, but alternate options I have (or may be, had) are Abarth Punto (they are not responding anymore to inquiries, not even the company itself - tried e-mail) and Polo GT TSI. Although I am not a fan of auto transmission and prefer manual, what options do I have with petrol turbo hatch under or around 10L, really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaheenazk (Post 4689900)
My petrol Indica has served me for 18 years and still going strong.:)

That's reassuring! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshye (Post 4691183)
I don't know if I should call them superior, but alternate options I have (or Although I am not a fan of auto transmission and prefer manual, what options do I have with petrol turbo hatch under or around 10L, really?

Pre owned Abarth Punto? Or a Ford Figo Diesel though (remap it)

Baleno RS and change the suspensions? Remap it too?

Options are limited. JTP is the best bet. But like any other bet, it can go either side.

Quote:

I maintain my vehicles very well and always get it serviced at company authorized stations only. But still, will JTP last 10 years, is the only question that I am thinking of now.

If your plan is to service your car at a Tata dealership, your car will manage to last barely 10 years. At least my Indica's secret is that it's been handled by known and competent mechanics at well reviewed local workshops rather than being used as a guinea pig for training Juniors at a dealership shop. Tried an outside shop once the warranty was over, and was immediately struck by how much better it felt and how many terminal and unsolvable issues were sorted out so easily and cheaply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshye
I don't know if I should call them superior, but alternate options I have (or may be, had) are Abarth Punto (they are not responding anymore to inquiries, not even the company itself - tried e-mail) and Polo GT TSI. Although I am not a fan of auto transmission and prefer manual, what options do I have with petrol turbo hatch under or around 10L, really?

Cant think of any actually! An Abarth would've definitely made more sense only if they still sold it; believe it is confirmed now that Fiat has stopped production (saw it somewhere on the forum only); you could try the pre-owned route but they would be hard to comeby. If you want a manual then JTP it is, makes sense from a 10 year standpoint too, given the horror stories around the DSG tranny.

Quote:

. But if I have to retain a Tata car for 10 years to make a financial sense of my purchase, should I buy JTSV Tiago/Tigor JTP? Could you well informed and experienced folks please a shade some light on the reliability aspect of a Tata product? .

Akshye, if you like it, get it. Which one - that depends on your budget. Between the two, I would take the Tigor - specifically for the boot (you cannot add one later). Except for state of tune and some parts, most of it is same as the regular Tiago/Tigor. Be involved with your car - during use or during servicing. Take care of it, and it will last you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 4691231)
If your plan is to service your car at a Tata dealership, your car will manage to last barely 10 years.

Greenie, that was your experience. Please do Not generalize.

All our four Tata's have been good - And all serviced at TASS. My outside experiences have been the bad ones. Almost 8 years for the Sumo, 6+ now for the Storme. None of the 3 - including our Aug-2000 Indica DLE were sold for situations due to bad servicing. 2 of these 3 have crossed the 2L mark. Now looking for another Tata - which would become Tata #5 since the year 2000

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4691256)

that was your experience. Please do Not generalize.

That works the same for you too. Maybe you found a good one and stuck to it, and it has worked out for you. My experience with all service centers in trivandrum and across three states have been otherwise, and they point more to underlying structural issues. Anyway I don't want to take this off topic and turn this into a Tata bashing thread. We have plenty of those already.
I will say that the jtp is a genuinely awesome product, and it can reach 10 years easily. I just wanted to pass on the message of caveat emptor as far as service is concerned, and echo the sentiment in the original review that
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4515912)
• Tata's after-sales experience remains a gamble.

And that not everybody wins a prize

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshye (Post 4691183)

If I had the option - I'd pick the Polo GT TSi. If possible - the GT TDi! This is - if I had the option to spend that much of course.

The VWs seem better engineered for a longer run. Tata isn't bad of course. The reason I'd pick the Polo is that smooth 4 cylinder mill. While super enthusiastic & addictive, the 3 cylinder thrum of the Revotorq is not something I'd love to drive every day personally. I have an OCD about symmetry.

If you are going to enjoy the blow off valve & head turning exhaust note, pick the Tigor JTP for the boot.
If you don't want these two parameters expressly & have the money to spend (including higher service costs compared to Tata for 10 years) - go for the Polo GT. If you are a DIY / mod enthusiast, a Polo opens up infinite options to keep fiddling throughout the life of the car. That's a bit tricky with Tata cars due to lack of suitable aftermarket products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4691398)
Polo opens up infinite options to keep fiddling throughout the life of the car. That's a bit tricky with Tata cars due to lack of suitable aftermarket products.

Completely agree to what been said in this post. Tata cars are a gamble. I know many who have had trouble free ownership of Tata cars for a decade and also few who have had issues since day 1.

VW cars are generally more reliable than Tata and if you have the vitamin M then there is no better car than theirs. Innumerable modifications and lifelong you may keep adding and subtracting them.

https://www.cartoq.com/modified-tata-tiago-jtp/

I came across this article on Cartoq with the embedded YouTube video of a modified Tiago JTP - the owner claims that a stage 1 remap has been done and a K&N air filter installed which bumps up the engine output to 135 hp from the stock 112 hp. Other cosmetic upgrades have been done and while the OEM headlight assembly has been retained, the lights have been upgraded to LED / HIDs for fog lamps, low and high beams. The tail lights have also been replaced with sportier looking units. I’m just wondering, wouldn’t Jayem Automotives have tweaked out more power from the engine if they were already able to, considering that this is a 1.2L 3-cylinder engine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR7 (Post 4700399)
...wouldn’t Jayem Automotives have tweaked out more power from the engine if they were already able to, considering that this is a 1.2L 3-cylinder engine?

The weak link in the power-train is the 150NM max torque rated gearbox. The motor probably has a good chunk in reserve, but no easy/cheap way to unleash it as usable power. Reliability is a factor too.

Current package seems a good compromise.

Is it possible to bump from 112 to 135 bhp with a stage 1 performance mod? Wouldn't this also void the warranty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayguar (Post 4700573)
Is it possible to bump from 112 to 135 bhp with a stage 1 performance mod? Wouldn't this also void the warranty?

Some have already done this on brand new Tiago JTPs. There are videos available on Youtube. Including electronic exhaust components added for more noise pollution also. (Must say - they really do sound good though :D.)

Yes - it will void warranty if found out. The "if" quite significant in case of most TML workshops. :D