Team-BHP - Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/204968-tata-tiago-jtp-official-review-26.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR7 (Post 4700399)
https://www.cartoq.com/modified-tata-tiago-jtp/

I came across this article on Cartoq with the embedded YouTube video of a modified Tiago JTP - the owner claims that a stage 1 remap has been done and a K&N air filter installed which bumps up the engine output to 135 hp from the stock 112 hp. Other cosmetic upgrades have been done and while the OEM headlight assembly has been retained, the lights have been upgraded to LED / HIDs for fog lamps, low and high beams. The tail lights have also been replaced with sportier looking units. I’m just wondering, wouldn’t Jayem Automotives have tweaked out more power from the engine if they were already able to, considering that this is a 1.2L 3-cylinder engine?

Jayem did not bump up the torque and horse power beyond 112 bhp and 150 Nm because after a certain threshold it would have led to torque steer. After all its for nothing that they are known as gurus of tuning. I am sure this fellow will return to stock after experiencing torque steer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR7 (Post 4700399)
https://www.cartoq.com/modified-tata-tiago-jtp/
I’m just wondering, wouldn’t Jayem Automotives have tweaked out more power from the engine if they were already able to, considering that this is a 1.2L 3-cylinder engine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaheenazk (Post 4701243)
Jayem did not bump up the torque and horse power beyond 112 bhp and 150 Nm because after a certain threshold it would have led to torque steer.

The other reason for 150 NM torque limitation is that Tiago JTP uses the same 5 speed MT (TA65) from regular Tiago which has maximum threshold of 150 NM whereas the 6 speed MT (TA6300) in Nexon has a higher rating at 170 NM. Apparently they were not able to use the 6 speed MT as it didn't fit in the Tiago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra (Post 4701382)
The other reason for 150 NM torque limitation is that Tiago JTP uses the same 5 speed MT (TA65) from regular Tiago which has maximum threshold of 150 NM whereas the 6 speed MT (TA6300) in Nexon has a higher rating at 170 NM. Apparently they were not able to use the 6 speed MT as it didn't fit in the Tiago.

I wish TATA had opted for custom built 6 speed MT for the Tiago JTP. It would have been terrific. After a certain speed, one seriously feels the need for the 6th cog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaheenazk (Post 4701403)
I wish TATA had opted for custom built 6 speed MT for the Tiago JTP. It would have been terrific. After a certain speed, one seriously feels the need for the 6th cog.

I used to feel the same about the old 4 speed gearbox in the Gypsy. Always felt it badly needed a 5th.

This JTP from all accounts is a bad little beastie with its lightweight and strong power. Quite well priced too it appears.

Maybe we are seeing a glimmer of dawn in terms of a new era of warm/ hot hatchbacks in India...

Quote:

Well they have a unit in the Nexon already. I think it might support the torque output also since it does in Nexon.

However - as many as 6 gears basically spreads the torque and power delivery into a flatter & sedate curve more suitable for mileage rather than goosebumps. More the gears generally lesser the adrenaline rush. I think for a compact pocket rocket, its better to have just 5. Keeps things simpler & funnier.

Quote:

Have to put it in perspective. Spending more R&D money on something that won't sell a lot, compared to offering the current JTP at less than a lac over the regular Tiago, it's a serious upgrade for the money!

This car already struggles to sell, there won't be any takers at another lac extra, better gearbox and mechanicals notwithstanding. There had to be some compromises, but the car itself isn't seriously compromised.

Tata definitely could've done a better job marketing it. They've practically got a performance division, and there's barely a peep about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=r0m27gCJg8k

Cool comparo of the turbo petrols we have on sale at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turrrb0 (Post 4710637)

Thanks. Thoroughly enjoyed the video. Although, its apples to oranges comparison, glad that someone at least tried to pit the turbo petrols barring the king 'Abarth'.

Quote:

As expected the JTP stole the show and brought a big smile to my face. It's correct to assume that the half second difference between the Tiago and Polo was because of DSG. Had the Polo been a manual variant the difference would have been marginal. I am surprised why EcoSport was left out. Abarth would have also given serious competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaheenazk (Post 4711504)
I am surprised why EcoSport was left out. Abarth would have also given serious competition.

I guess because the abarth and ecoboost are phased out or being phased out. Another turbo petrol which is missing is the nexon. But maybe since the jtp has basically the same engine it was left out.

Quote:

Well, this whole comparo is blasphemous in my opinion.

Turbo petrol shoot outs, which are essentially performance oriented cars pitted against each other on a track, would need the best tyres to get the most out of the car, both in terms of handling and traction. Now how many of us “enthusiasts” would turn our heads to a brand like CEAT for performance oriented tyres? None, at best. You can actually see the cars struggling around the track with these tyres.

I would not conclude anything with this test, this is similar to the other event sponsored by JK tyres, where all cars were shod with JKs and they went around the track. No surprises as to why the Abarth didn’t do as well as say the Baleno RS or Polo GT TSI there, it was struggling to put down the power to the tarmac with JKs. With proper tyres, it would be an entirely different outcome. Until then, the lighter and milder car will clock the faster timings.

Tata Tiago JTP : Official Review-d644be85bb704181987fabf7307ff3b6.png

I watched the video and found it slightly contrived.

I dont think, in the first place, these blokes should be comparing cars of completely different types around a track. Doesn’t make any sense.

I mean come on, even to the uninitiated, an XUV300 is bound to have completely different handling characteristics, from a Polo and Tiago!

And when comparing, they ought to atleast make sure the transmission types are similar (preferably Manual)because that also measures the driver’s skill. I mean, in an Automatic, which does most of the work for you, anyone who is reasonably competent can pretend to be a test driver! The real test is how sensitive the driver is to his machine and its revs and behaviour - that “essential seat of the pants feel” separates the good from the merely competent.

And of course, as many have commented, the tyres, oh!, The Tyres! - if this were a proper comparo, then they’d have atleast given the poor cars the right sort of shoes, for a test track of this kind!

Personally I loved the Tiago JTP and its gutsy behaviour. And of course the Polo.

If these blokes really want to make these hatches “HOT” then I wish, they would add in a couple more small things - such as rear disc brakes as well as some more juice in the engines - in the Polo and Tiago JTP atleast.

And then finally we in India can be said to have a couple of hot hatches to choose from. Where we will drive them of course, is entirely another matter!

Watched this video a couple of days back and seeing the Tiago go on 3 wheels at corners was fun to watch! At the same time I was concerned if it will easily topple, but during the video Sirish addressed that saying it still feels planted and doesn't give the impression that it would roll over.

Regarding the comments about the tyres, I think this was an event sponsored by Ceat and maybe the cars and the track were arranged by them. So, they probably had to use those tyres.

I didn't make much of the time difference between each car and was rather curious about how each car behaved on the track independently. It was also clear that he was most comfortable with the Polo (probably as a daily driver?) so I assumed it will come out on top (not saying that it is incompetent, but it had yet another advantage).

I hope this kind of video gets popular and maybe Michellin or Pirelli or Yokohama (whoever makes good tyres) sponsors another video. I think he did a good job with the commentary during the hot-lap.

Welcomed home the might Tigor JTP. My god it is fun to drive. Just loved the attention to detail from TATA and the brilliant engine as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushiknadig (Post 4731209)
Welcomed home the might Tigor JTP. My god it is fun to drive. Just loved the attention to detail from TATA and the brilliant engine as well.

Congratulations!clap: Please do keep us posted regarding the ownership of your JTP, especially how it feels like to drive.