Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 10:14   #106
BHPian

Re: Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
That's incorrect. Both are based on the TNGA-K platform, shared globally between different models comprising of both Sedans & SUVs. The sedans include Toyota Camry, Avalon and the Lexus ES.

Both the cars on sale are in its latest generation. Though sharing the same platform, globally, Camry arrived earlier than the current gen ES.

Again no, both vehicles share the same latest generation of hybrid system. Though similar in displacement, the 2.5L A25A-FXS engine was all new compared to the 2.5L engines found in previous generations of both cars.

TNGA based Camry / Lexus ES utilises the A25A-FXS engine that indeed has port/direct injection. It is part of the new family of engines that were introduced along with the TNGA platform (within themselves having variations like TNGA-B,C,K etc) and currently contain 1.5 I3, 2.0L I4, 2.5 I4 and 3.5 V6 engines, in both conventional and hybrid variants. The 3.5V6 here is referring to the one available with current gen LS.

Do note that earlier generation of engines are still available on the newer platform (example the 3.5V6 2GR-FXS available for Camry in markets like Russia/North America).
I thought the Lexus ES was a facelift. Sorry for the wrong information.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:48   #107
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am sure it is. Even a mundane car like the Prius is spooky quiet on the inside when you have just the EV going.
IMHO the vehicle is silent till you are on the move. The latest generation Camry still feels a bit short on sound insulation because you can very well hear the tire noise at city speeds, may be due to the complete silence while running in EV mode. As a Corolla Altis owner, I did find Camry to be better insulated but still it did not meet my expectations when I took a short test drive within the City limits.
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 00:43   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Exchange rate will lead to Toyota Camry price hike

Toyota has announced that the prices of the Camry Hybrid and Vellfire MPV will be hiked from July 2020. The company claims that the rise in exchange rates has necessitated this hike in prices.

Attachment 2013979

At present, the Camry Hybrid BS6 is priced at Rs. 37.88 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi), while prices for the Vellfire start at Rs. 79.50 lakh. Both cars are imported as completely built units (CBU).

The Camry Hybrid is powered by a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol-hybrid produces 176 BHP @ 5,700 rpm and 221 Nm @ 3,600-5,200 rpm, along with an electric motor generator that is rated at 118 BHP and 202 Nm. The car comes with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The Vellfire also gets a hybrid powertrain. It uses a 2.5-litre petrol engine developing 115 BHP and 198 Nm along with dual electric motors rated at 105 kW and 50 kW at the front and rear respectively.

Link to Team-BHP News
Brilliant desirable product. Even if the exchange rate changes led to increase in the prices, I am 100% sure that a more favourable exchange rate never leads to increase in the prices. Legendary Toyota realiability will get them customers at new prices. And this and Fortuner are the only two Toyotas that are desirable as well in India.
Old 12th July 2020, 06:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

I did a great drive last week. Just loved it in every aspect. Screams silence inside the cabin. I love it quiet inside the car.

I am not in the technicalities to describe the electricals and the mechanics of how this car moves, but what I loved is the space. Lots of space. I also loved the way it drives. Could not really tell when the car shifts to petrol. My wife and son instantly fell for it too.

I do plan to test drive one more time before I decide to take the plunge. I would not be inclined to check the superb ( thanks to the notorious stories of Skoda ). My wife somehow does not like the looks of the Passat , so, that is out too.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 02:01   #110
BHPian

Toyota Camry gets a global facelift for the year 2021. While the exterior changes are subtle, there is a significant change in the interior which now changes the dashboard layout to house a floating touch screen like how other cars in the Toyota family namely the Toyota RAV4 and the 2020 Toyota Corolla are using. There are also additions to the safety features and now there will also be a XSE sporty trim available in the Hybrid as well. Since India only sells the Hybrid which was earlier based on the XLE trim, it will be interesting to see if they bring in the XSE trim based Hybrid to India. More in the video below.

Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-2021toyotacamry.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-my21_camry_xle_001.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-my21_camry_xle_009.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-my21_camry_xle_008.jpg  

Starfire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:45   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Camry facelift unveiled in the UK:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...nterior-tweaks

Loses the 'fishy' love-it-or-hate-it look but seems more ordinary now.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid2_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid3_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid5_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid6_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid7_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid8_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid11_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid14_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid16_1.jpg  

Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-camryhybrid24_1.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:59   #112
BHPian

The Camry gets more and more Lexus-like with each facelift/generation. I’d recommend this over the European sedans any day. The all black interiors somehow don’t appeal to me, and I don’t think the Indian Camry is going to have them either.

Only waiting for them to Launch the Avalon TRD and Camry V6 for India.
Old 24th November 2020, 04:39   #113
Senior - BHPian

I do like this version of the Camry. Looks really good when viewed in person and with those black grill accents (especially with a white car). There is huge step up in interior quality too. The cab market has lapped up Hybrid versions fast and there has been a small up take in personal Camry's too. My neighbor wreaked his Accord in a crash and the replacement was a 2020 Camry. The TRD V6 in red looks sharp.

New Zealand has yet to receive the 2021 Camry, though from what I see, the main difference is on the interior, with that touch screen that now sticks out.
Old 25th November 2020, 00:35   #114
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know if Toyota plans to launch the face-lifted Camry (pictured couple of posts above) in India? And if so, in what time-frame?
Reason for asking is that we're almost finalising the Camry (finally) but that infotainment system without Android Auto/Apple Car play is a real downer. We typically keep cars for long time, around 7-8yrs & I can see the lack of either can be a major headache wrt integration of phone.

That said, really don't seem to have any alternative for a car that's got great ride quality, back seat comfort & service support. No, I'm not going to consider Skoda Superb (have owned a Skoda in the past & I don't want to go down that road again). But Toyota's pricing is really cringe-worthy!

Cheers

Last edited by RJK : 25th November 2020 at 00:37. Reason: More content
Old 16th December 2020, 02:16   #115
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Just test drove this Camry, again. For my parents (both in 60s), it makes utmost sense and my mother especially is sold on the car even before sitting in it
Sad part is the absurd price Toyota wants to charge and the dealer's mark-up is icing on the cake. Makes me incredibly frustrated.

So as of today, the on-road cost of Camry in Mumbai is Rs 47,00,121/- and there are supposedly no discounts on the vehicle.
1) Registration cost - Rs 4,99,800.00
2) Auxiliary charges - Rs 16,448.00 (no proper justification for this charge)
3) Luxury Insurance cover (3+3) - Rs 2,95,940.00 (New insurance trick for scamming I suppose?)
4) Depot Charges - Rs 17,875.00 (Again, questionable)
5) TCS @ 1% - Rs 37,500.00
6) Extended Warranty - Rs 38,334.00
7) Toyota Genuine Accessories - Rs 43,725.00

On the face of it, the above charges are non-negotiable it seems. This kind of robbery is what puts me off from buying the car! And there aren't many sparingly used cars available in Bombay!
Quoting myself here. Dealers are now offering about 1L off on their listed price of Rs 47.02L which includes extended warranty (worth Rs 44k) & Accessories (worth Rs 39k). I'm trying to negotiate & do the insurance on my own - they charge Rs 1.34L for the same, supposedly Luxury cover from Toyota.

More importantly, the 3 dealers that I spoke with said that they're expecting a price hike early next year, any idea if that is true? Also, all of them are non-committal regarding the face lift
Old 20th December 2020, 18:21   #116
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Happy to have taken your advice and opted for the Camry. Took delivery of my 2020 BS6 Camry.

Took my 85 year old Dad for the delivery. He was thrilled to see the car in-person.

Very Lexus looking in the rear

Looking forward to a very satisfying ownership

Cheers

KPS
Hi KPS

Congrats on your car! I have also booked one today, curious to know if you bought carpet mats from the dealer - they charge 8k for it! I'm also quite surprised at Toyota that such an expensive car doesn't come with mats!

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2020, 18:56   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hi KPS

Congrats on your car! I have also booked one today, curious to know if you bought carpet mats from the dealer - they charge 8k for it! I'm also quite surprised at Toyota that such an expensive car doesn't come with mats!

Thanks!
Congratulations! Good to see multiple new Camry owners on TBHP. I admire it's sheer heft and presence unmatched by anything <65L. Also think the facelift just launched in the USA is inferior to the unique looks of this one.

By the way, if you're spending 8K in OEM mats, consider the 3D Kagu / Maxpider ones too. They look amazing and will compliment the interiors.

https://3dmatsindia.com/product/toyo...u-floor-liner/
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:42   #118
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Congratulations! Good to see multiple new Camry owners on TBHP. I admire it's sheer heft and presence unmatched by anything <65L. Also think the facelift just launched in the USA is inferior to the unique looks of this one.

By the way, if you're spending 8K in OEM mats, consider the 3D Kagu / Maxpider ones too. They look amazing and will compliment the interiors.

https://3dmatsindia.com/product/toyo...u-floor-liner/
Thanks! Do you also own one? I would like to know your experience with it as well. I thought a lot about holding off for the facelift for the new infotainment system but it could be 6 months away. That coupled with 1L off on the list price from Toyota (yes, you heard that right! ) made it a strong proposition.

Also, the car has unmatched ride quality & rear seat comfort, so even though overpriced, we went ahead with it for my parents. The Superb is very hard to ignore really, looks Superb - pun intended

As for the mats, I'm not very keen on the OEM ones for 8k as I will still have to buy rubber mats for monsoon, I have realised that 2 sets of mats make no sense, just one set is good enough. So I may look at Kagu mats or anything cheaper as long as it has OEM dimensions & fits right-in along with the locks for the driver's seat. Spending big money on mats is really a wasteful expenditure I've realised over 2 decades of owning cars.

Cheers

Last edited by RJK : 20th December 2020 at 19:44.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:31   #119
Senior - BHPian

Any idea how good the battery will last in Indian conditions ? I was thinking of getting this as a second car for the highways, but worried about battery replacement costs, as I intend to keep this around for 10~ years atleast.
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:48   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Any idea how good the battery will last in Indian conditions ? I was thinking of getting this as a second car for the highways, but worried about battery replacement costs, as I intend to keep this around for 10~ years atleast.
My battery is 4-years old and not a squeak. Owners in USA have usually had the same battery for 10 years. That's the research I did when buying my hybrid in 2017. I took a 5-year warranty on the battery. Hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks