Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2021, 22:11   #121
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Any idea how good the battery will last in Indian conditions ? I was thinking of getting this as a second car for the highways, but worried about battery replacement costs, as I intend to keep this around for 10~ years atleast.
My neighbour has a Aug '15 Camry Hybrid and has not faced any problem till now with the battery. I checked with the Service chaps at Lakozy Toyota who said they had to change batteries for only 1 Camry hybrid in about 8 yrs.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:39   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
My neighbour has a Aug '15 Camry Hybrid and has not faced any problem till now with the battery. I checked with the Service chaps at Lakozy Toyota who said they had to change batteries for only 1 Camry hybrid in about 8 yrs.

Cheers
Unfortunately my August 2015 Camry hybrid battery failed last month at 1,02,000kms and I got it replaced recently.
I got this message while driving,"Check hybrid system Stop the vehicle in safe place immediately" After this the vehicle would'nt switch to electric mode,but could run only on petrol mode.I took the car to Lakozy toyota and after some diagnosis they confirmed my car needed a Hybrid battery pack replacement along with voltage sensor which costed Rs 2,60,000 incl taxes.
In India Toyota offers only 3 years warranty on hybrid battery packs,whereas internationally Toyota offers 10 years/150000 miles.
Since my car is 5 & 1/2 years old Lakozy said I will have to make full payment and it wont be covered under warranty.
After numerous emails to Lakozy and TKM India they agreed to pay 60% of total cost as goodwill warranty.I happily accepted their offer and paid 1,04,000 out of the total amount including labour charges.
After the replacement I have noticed the car is switching to electric battery mode more often and I am getting much better range.
With fuel prices rising every day,the Camry hybrid is a perfect car in my city with a constant average of 14 to 15 kms/ltrs.I plan to keep her for atleast another 1 lac kms.

Cheers,

Kedar
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Toyota Camry Hybrid-whatsapp-image-20210302-4.26.44-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by kedarwalke : 2nd March 2021 at 17:58.
kedarwalke is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 19:45   #123
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Unfortunately my August 2015 Camry hybrid battery failed last month at 1,02,000kms and I got it replaced recently.
In India Toyota offers only 3 years warranty on hybrid battery packs,whereas internationally Toyota offers 10 years/150000 miles.
Since my car is 5 & 1/2 years old Lakozy said I will have to make full payment and it wont be covered under warranty.
After numerous emails to Lakozy and TKM India they agreed to pay 60% of total cost as goodwill warranty.I happily accepted their offer and paid 1,04,000 out of the total amount including labour charges.

Cheers,

Kedar
Hey Kedar,

Thanks for your feedback!
I’ll bear your mileage at the time of failure in mind. Were Lakozy guys helpful in coordinating with TKM or was it a battle that you had to take on with TKM yourself? 60% discount is a great deal, really!

Cheers
Old 8th April 2021, 20:31   #124
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/toyota...hiked-rs-72000

What the heck is wrong with Toyota. The Camry is already obscenely expensive by any standard. To hike the ex-showroom price by more than a lakh is simply too much.

Very disappointed with this obscenely high price hike from Toyota India.
Old 8th April 2021, 20:50   #125
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/toyota...hiked-rs-72000

What the heck is wrong with Toyota. The Camry is already obscenely expensive by any standard. To hike the ex-showroom price by more than a lakh is simply too much.

Very disappointed with this obscenely high price hike from Toyota India.
They must’ve realised enough number of people are probably buying the Camry, why not milk them further! With this much hike in Ex showroom price, on-road price will probably be flirting with 50L.

Were you considering buying it?

Last edited by RJK : 8th April 2021 at 20:51.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:55   #126

Hello,
needed advice from current Camry owners on my hybrid vs petrol Camry dilemma on my used car purchase. I am trying to understand the cost-benefit of the hybrid over the regular model.
Assumptions:
1. cost of Hybrid over petrol: same 3 lakh premium in used market as the new one
2. Petrol price - 103 rs
3. Drivetrain battery lifetime: 93500kms (while it's touted to last 100000 miles, I have seen exactly 4 cars so far, for sale or not, all having had battery changes each at 73000,80000,105000,120000 kms)
4. Annual maintenance costs - 10k and 20k for petrol and hybrid respectively
Insurance costs - almost similar
5. fully driven intra-city given that's the Hybrid's target segment

given all this, the cost of ownership for the battery's lifetime (93500 kms) seems to be 3.2 lakhs lesser for hybrid than petrol. at 103 rs petrol prices, I seem to have saved 20k rupees with the hybrid. at 95 rs petrol, I would have lost 50k rupees if i bought the hybrid.
i understand the other benefits like less road noise at <50 km/hr and the intangible value of eco-friendliness.
Can someone guide me on whether I am missing any costs/ wrong assumptions? I know the Hybrid is highly rated on this Forum and want to understand why.
Vindi13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 10:33   #127
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindi13 View Post
Hello,
needed advice from current Camry owners on my hybrid vs petrol Camry dilemma on my used car purchase. I am trying to understand the cost-benefit of the hybrid over the regular model.
Assumptions:
1. cost of Hybrid over petrol: same 3 lakh premium in used market as the new one
2. Petrol price - 103 rs
3. Drivetrain battery lifetime: 93500kms (while it's touted to last 100000 miles, I have seen exactly 4 cars so far, for sale or not, all having had battery changes each at 73000,80000,105000,120000 kms)
4. Annual maintenance costs - 10k and 20k for petrol and hybrid respectively
Insurance costs - almost similar
5. fully driven intra-city given that's the Hybrid's target segment

given all this, the cost of ownership for the battery's lifetime (93500 kms) seems to be 3.2 lakhs lesser for hybrid than petrol. at 103 rs petrol prices, I seem to have saved 20k rupees with the hybrid. at 95 rs petrol, I would have lost 50k rupees if i bought the hybrid.
i understand the other benefits like less road noise at <50 km/hr and the intangible value of eco-friendliness.
Can someone guide me on whether I am missing any costs/ wrong assumptions? I know the Hybrid is highly rated on this Forum and want to understand why.
How long do you intend to keep the car? Also, if the 4 cars that you saw already had a battery change, that should take care for next 80k kms atleast, isn't it? You can safely assume that Petrol price isn't going to be coming down in the near future, if anything it'll only increase.

I'm surprised that you've quoted routine maintenance cost to be double of Petrol Camry, can you please expand? Far as I know there should not be any difference.

What is the time duration you have considered for 20k saving or 50k loss? If its per year then worth considering, if more than a year or two, I would discount it. If not for the Hybrid, the Camry is a very run-of-the-mill car to drive, especially the previous generation. If chauffeur driven, then its good but fuel economy in Petrol would be about 7-8kmpl, at best.
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 21:30   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
How long do you intend to keep the car? Also, if the 4 cars that you saw already had a battery change, that should take care for next 80k kms atleast, isn't it? You can safely assume that Petrol price isn't going to be coming down in the near future, if anything it'll only increase.

I'm surprised that you've quoted routine maintenance cost to be double of Petrol Camry, can you please expand? Far as I know there should not be any difference.

What is the time duration you have considered for 20k saving or 50k loss? If its per year then worth considering, if more than a year or two, I would discount it. If not for the Hybrid, the Camry is a very run-of-the-mill car to drive, especially the previous generation. If chauffeur driven, then its good but fuel economy in Petrol would be about 7-8kmpl, at best.
Hi Rjk,

Thanks for the reply.

I plan to keep it until obsolescence through the coming electric car revolution I did factor in that 80km battery lifetime. So I assumed a 1 lakh lifetime for the car which should safely take it to about 6.5 years given my usage.

On maintenance, I assumed that I can get it serviced by an FNG if only petrol. With hybrid, I remember my boss used to have it done at the Toyota because of the drivetrain battery. So I assumed the 10k Vs 20k.

The 20k saving and 50k loss between petrol and hybrid is over that 1 lakh period, so like you said it's discountable. That was my worry - for all the touted benefits of the hybrid, it did not seem to have any discernible cost benefit (even after I assumed Inflation of petrol at 5% per annum)

I will have it chauffeur driven and hence the Camry, else would have thought of a Superb or a w212.
Vindi13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

A question to members. Do you recommend buying a 2014 Camry Hybrid, 69k kms driven by a single owner for INR 14 lacs? The battery of the car was replaced in 2019. If bought, I intend to use the car for the next 10 years at least.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:42   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
A question to members. Do you recommend buying a 2014 Camry Hybrid, 69k kms driven by a single owner for INR 14 lacs? The battery of the car was replaced in 2019. If bought, I intend to use the car for the next 10 years at least.
No idea on the pricing, varies with local market. But make sure the hybrid system is working fine. I'm now in UAE with huge fleet of Camry Hybrid cabs roaming around, most of these got a faulty or non functional hybrid system sans newer cars like 2020/2021 models.

Get it checked and confirmed.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:43   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The 2014 will be a pre-facelift version which would not have the better braking, power steering, additional airbags, infotainment, etc of the 2015.
Do check the battery - Kms driven on do in 2020-21 and at a service center, given it may have been stationary and unused in the pandemic and would have gone to very low levels.

On price, I had offers of 12 for a 2014, new drivetrain battery, 1 l km run car in Mumbai. So this looks a bit high. Do see if you can bargain down to 12.75?
Old 18th July 2021, 15:40   #132
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
No idea on the pricing, varies with local market. But make sure the hybrid system is working fine. I'm now in UAE with huge fleet of Camry Hybrid cabs roaming around, most of these got a faulty or non functional hybrid system sans newer cars like 2020/2021 models.

Get it checked and confirmed.
Yes, I've seen those plying around I never figured out why Dubai taxi needed hybrid vehicles to begin with! The way most of the taxi drivers drive, pedal to metal uptil 120kmph, the hybrid system is hardly going to work. Only probably when they are idling forever in the summer heat is when the hybrid system could be of use.
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 23:25   #133
BHPian

Hello Bangalore Camry Owners

I am posting this question on behalf of my friend who is planning to buy a Camry in Bangalore. It's about the ground clearance and Bangalore roads. How does Camry cope up with the roads in Bangalore? Appreciate if you can share your experience about this.

TIA
Old 9th August 2021, 15:24   #134
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Hello Bangalore Camry Owners

I am posting this question on behalf of my friend who is planning to buy a Camry in Bangalore. It's about the ground clearance and Bangalore roads. How does Camry cope up with the roads in Bangalore? Appreciate if you can share your experience about this.

TIA
Have had no issues on road clearance on the car. My experience may not be very representative, as I live in the Cantonment Area and office is in the CBD.

Thanks

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:11   #135

Good Morning Team! Does anyone know when the new facelift version of Camry getting launched in India. Every site says 3rd quarter but no specific news yet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks