Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 11:00   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW M340i xDrive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I personally believe the B58 Engine is what really makes this car truly special.

One of those cars I've booked without a Test Drive, looking forward

Trust BMW India will price it right.
Congrats on the car again, though I feel you should have waited for the new M3/4 (considering your love for latest models). Still this is a cracker, can't wait to see yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
On what fuel was the car tested on? Did you guys try high octane fuel to see what was the power difference over regular fuel?

Also, would the rear occupants complain to much due to the stiffer suspension over a long drive (especially the elderly)?
It came to me on regular fuel, but after burning 3/4ths of a tank quickly I topped it up with power 99. It definitely did make a difference (as it does with all performance cars) and the engine felt much happier and more explosive. That being said, it was pretty good on regular fuel too.

To be honest, I didn't manage to sit in the rear seat at all lol. But it is not comfortable, though there is more body movement than the regular 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The unique thing about this car IMO is the ZF transmission. For anyone coming from a dual clutch transmission, it would feel less than stellar. But may appeal to the pragmatic side due to its stellar reliability and robustness. It is not the shift times and technical specs, but a feel of DCT is very sporty by nature.
I agree with you completely. The DCTs have that mechanical and direct feel which a torque converter cannot match. Even though in terms of efficiency and speed of shifting it may be better, the feel isn't there. That being said, the M cars too have 8 speeds, and the DCT is becoming rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas View Post
I have a question. Can we toggle between AWD and RWD, just like in the M5?
Nope, that is a feature reserved for the proper M cars. Though who knows, maybe someone (aftermarket) will come up with a way to add it into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No Sir, an M3/ M4 or an M5 will be totally different. Can assure you on that. Do get one for an extended drive on weekend.
I agree completely. While in the rear world, this may do a lot of what the proper M cars do. The feel and emotion of driving a proper M car is different. Not to mention to hustle an M car around needs serious driving skills, whereas this is a bit toned down in such a way that most drivers can push it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:25   #32
BHPian

My earlier post has come out in the wrong way. I wish to clarify something. Probably my earlier message is giving that the idea that I am stating that the 340i is 80 - 90% of a proper M car. It was an error in semantics. I have said that there is a lot more to judge a car than just the 0 - 100 timings. The proper M cars are in a different league and I acknowledge that. All that I was trying to say was that if I can get the M340i for 80 lacs as opposed to the M3/M4 for 1.6 crores I think I might be able to have 80 - 90% of the fun. Maybe I am wrong and it is quite naive to say that. I am in no way implying that the 340i is 90% of the M car.

Peace to all. I do not want to stir up the hornet’s nest.
RajBajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 13:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
Congratulations @Karan561 and @Dieselite. I am looking forward to your ownership reviews. Raj Bajwa
Thanks Raj
Quote:
48 is what I hear.
Yes, that's the total number of cars Manufactured (Includes Press, TD & Event Cars).
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I look forward to Karan's review after he gets his car
Thanks, looking forward myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Congrats on the car again, though I feel you should have waited for the new M3/4 (considering your love for latest models). Still this is a cracker, can't wait to see yours.
Thanks once again. This is a G Chassis BMW & latest enough. About the M3/4, off course who wouldn't want to buy them but thanks to BMW India for bringing in the M340i as a CKD hence making it really VFM & Truly made my buy decision easier & firm.

Last edited by karan561 : 6th March 2021 at 13:05.
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Looking forward to a delivery before 15 March 2021.
Quote:
One of those cars I've booked without a Test Drive, looking forward
Congrats to both of you chaps on your new acquisition wishing you many roads to tear down with the M-onster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
It came to me on regular fuel, but after burning 3/4ths of a tank quickly I topped it up with power 99. It definitely did make a difference (as it does with all performance cars)
I've been driving my 330iM-Sport on regular fuel for the last two years. Would you suggest or recommend I switch to Power?
Since the pandemic, it's limited to city driving and continuing in the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A fantastic review of a fantastic car.
I thought the 330i was the hottie on the block
Currently, the330i M-Sport is a really hot feisty feline and when I drove mine in Sports+ mode felt there isn't a car to match its thrilling experience. It really comes alive beautifully in this Mode

BTW The driving skills required to handle an M is considerable and limited in numbers in India so BMW cleverly with an AWD M340i empowers novice petrolheads to fulfil their quest for a thrill with inbuilt safety.
ramsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:44   #35
BHPian

I will be very honest about why I booked this car. It is the cheapest 40i available and luckily that too in the best handling sedan series of BMW. Corner carving is not my primary aim and it is highly impossible in day to day Pune usage. There are good roads for it close to Pune though. Straight-line performance and launch dashes will be the most accessible and frequent thrills which can be experienced in this car.

I have always been sure that it will never be comparable to full blown M cars and I am happy about that in a way.
Dieselite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:02   #36
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
The B58 that’s used in the 340i was never used on any M car to my knowledge. It’s the standard motor for all 40i cars the world over and also used in the Z4 and given to Toyota for the Supra.
Yes, M-lite models like (M140i, M240i, M340i, M440i, M540i, M640i, Z4 M40i and other X models) will get this motor.
Old 6th March 2021, 15:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
48 is what I hear.
That's a very limited run for a vehicle which should be readily available as a CKD kit from BMW Germany.

Is this the first lot (of 48), with more to come later depending upon demand?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:48   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesnat View Post
The B58 that’s used in the 340i was never used on any M car to my knowledge. It’s the standard motor for all 40i cars the world over and also used in the Z4 and given to Toyota for the Supra.
You are right. Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant the similar 6 cylinder layout and of course that doesn't make it right to compare but I wonder if that happens though.

Last edited by kiku007 : 6th March 2021 at 15:54.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 15:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:

48 is what I hear.
Quote:

Yes, that's the total number of cars Manufactured (Includes Press, TD & Event Cars).
Oh that’s really sad - considering this is assembled in chennai and the amount of interest the car is generating. In my housing community itself there are two people planning to pick this up. I just hope it’s an initial number, if anyone with more insider info can confirm - it will be great. Else I have to rush which wasn’t a plan
RakishRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 16:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
You are right. Sorry I should have been clearer. I meant the similar 6 cylinder layout and of course that doesn't make it right to compare but I wonder if that happens though.
You’re not far off actually. The stronger more beefed up versions of these 40i motors become the M motors in the same generation. N55 - S55 and now B58 - S58 (in the upcoming M3/M4)
Reesnat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 16:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
That's a very limited run for a vehicle which should be readily available as a CKD kit from BMW Germany.

Is this the first lot (of 48), with more to come later depending upon demand?
My heart almost sank when I read this figure. I'm gunning on getting this in next 3-4 years. I hope they get a great response and it makes commercial sense for them to continue making this in CKD form.

However if the limited number of 48 holds true, this car will hold its price in the use car market like crazy.

Me walking towards my stage 3 Vento thinking we will be together for longer than i thought
Blackbolt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 06:31   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic Review @Akshay1234

You covered all the parameters succinctly and brought out the excitement this car truly deserves. It’s good on BMW India to release this car so early to the Indian market from it’s global inception (3-4 years ago) as M340i nicely fills the gap between full blown M car and standard BMW engines

I’m curious to know where have you driven this car (I mean conditions? Was it on a track or regular roads? And how many kms behind the wheel?)

Some things stood out in your review- mention about the engine being “ferocious” brought a huge grin to my face as I agree this is the right word to use for this deliciously creamy and brutally powerful B58

Noted several posts this being compared with full M car and how it’s not in its league etc. To each his own!

For folks coming from < 200 horsepower engines, this engine is guaranteed to knock their socks off and keep them grinning ear-to-ear for their entire ownership period

BMW’s strategy of placing this engine in between the range to get a lot of enthusiastic folks on to BMW band wagon is a roaring success. M340i is the hottest selling product (actually 2nd hottest as X3M40i outsells in US) and in a way redeemed themselves as a brand that makes the best performance cars.

This product is cannablizing the full M version car market and BMW is selling these literally in volumes and I spoke to some many dealers before I got mine, everyone said the same thing that we can't do much discounts as this is a hot product (Here in US, price difference isn’t as much vs a full M as in India (Base version of an M starts just 10 grand more than a fully loaded X3M40i/M340i and is pretty affordable)) However, US customers are extremely price conscious and haggle for every $ unlike in India, for that segment where folks are mostly HNI’s with that M car being their 2nd or 3rd exotic car in the garage and don’t care of price difference (They think instead of paying 1.4 crore, I will pay 1.6 crore, Big deal)

Almost every car enthusiast must have thought of owning a Bimmer at some point in their life and M version is obviously everyones ultimate dream but, 99% of folks (maybe an exaggeration) cannot fulfill that dream as not everyone has moolah to fund this expensive dream. Here is where the M340i comes into play and let’s the BMW dreamers get a taste of what the real M-Performance cars can do (Albeit at a slightly more reasonable cost and by no means affordable)

As an owner of this car in a different avatar and as also mentioned in my ownership review. The engine is so usable in day-to-day life that you feel as if driving a regular BMW but, a simple flick of the switch to Sports or Sports + and all hell breaks loose and completely changes this car's characteristics. While I am not sure that flexibility is available in a full blown M car. So, it’s best of both world for sure !!

Bimmerposts are overflowing with comparisons of M340i vs M3 and X3M40i vs X3M and majority of folks are choosing 340i and these are not first time buyers but, life long Bimmer owners and there are few cases where people have downgraded from an X3M to a X3M40i for practicality purposes (That’s here in US so imagine how impractical it will to own a full M as a daily driver in India)

In all aspects, M3401 is enough to get “almost” complete thrills of an M-performance car unless you are a keen track goer, have means to drive to its full potential (Heck, I would be surprised if any of “us” owners can even get the full potential of the M340i)

What I didn’t quite like about M340i released is the grille and dull interiors (performance cars doesn’t always have to be black/grey interiors, we need something lively and colorful to make things more interesting). BMW USA is playing around with a canvas of colors both for exterior paint as well as interiors for their M cars and it’s a treat to see and feel them in person

Congratulations again to Karan & Dieselite and indeed exciting times ahead for enthusiasts as this pricing makes it affordable to regular Joe’s like me who still have to stretch quite a bit to afford this in India
mobike008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 09:21   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: How this car compares with an M has been discussed enough. Now, let's just focus on the M340i please. No more "almost an M" or "it isn't a real M" posts. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 11:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

792M Wheels & Michelin PS4S Tyres !

Happy to announce that the 19" 792M Wheels which I had ordered for my M340i are here;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210307-10.50.41-am.png

Extremely Well Finished & Should go well with all the Cerium Grey Inserts (Grille, Bumper, Mirror Caps etc.) Pre-Fit on my M340i;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210307-10.52.34-am.png

& Lightweight too;

BMW M340i xDrive Review-img_1634.jpg

The Tyres for this 19" setup are Michelin PS4S (Best in Business, most of us would agree)

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210307-10.51.09-am.png

Staggered Setup i.e. 225/40 R19 (Front) & 255/35 R19 (Rear) [Note: The Rims are Staggered too i.e. 8J front & 8.5J Rear]

BMW M340i xDrive Review-screenshot-20210307-10.50.23-am.png

Looking forward

Last edited by karan561 : 7th March 2021 at 11:02.
karan561 is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 13:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: 792M Wheels & Michelin PS4S Tyres !

Quote:
Happy to announce that the 19" 792M Wheels which I had ordered for my M340i are here;

Attachment 2129612

Extremely Well Finished & Should go well with all the Cerium Grey Inserts (Grille, Bumper, Mirror Caps etc.) Pre-Fit on my M340i;
Looking forward
Looks stunning. Right number of spokes, fantastic colour(Diamond cut/black has a mass market look). Looking forward to see you 340i with these rims.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks