Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2024, 13:13   #3481
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Hi Guys, I encountered a strange problem of my car getting locked with my keys still inside. Has anyone else encountered this?
Is there any software update that could fix this?
Old 18th March 2024, 10:32   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya_ip View Post
Great to know that you are happy with the performance of your Kushaq! Just want to understand more about your point related to A.C. performance. You mentioned that a.c. performance is not that much good even after installing CR70 films. Is it due to the in-effectiveness of the sun film or car a.c. itself has problem? I am asking because I am also planning to try for 3M CR70 films on my Creta and don't want this type of experience. I would be eager to know about other fellow BHPians opinion as well regarding this.
The CR70 films are great. I felt considerable difference after getting them installed. It is the car's AC which is the issue. My friend's i20 feels significantly cooler and quieter when compared to my Kushaq. His car doesn't have any sun film.
NikhilosKage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 18:05   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
Hi Guys, I encountered a strange problem of my car getting locked with my keys still inside. Has anyone else encountered this?
Has not happened to me yet on the Kushaq, but I remember reading recently on a forum regarding the key being locked inside a rapid. This is something I am constantly scared of, especially since my car doesn't have a keyless entry. So whenever I have to keep the engine running and have to get out, I have no other option other than rolling the windows down(Hard to do in dusty areas).

Could you elaborate a bit more on what happened though? Does your car come with keyless entry ? Was the vehicle turned on ?
Old 20th March 2024, 10:57   #3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
It has happened once with me. I have a Kushaq 1.5 MT with keyless entry. Generally if I keep the keys in the car, they are in the cup holder adjacent to the hand brake. In such a scenario, I've never observed car accepting the lock command from door handle if key is left inside.
The one instance when this happened was when my father's jacket was having the key inside it. We both had alighted and despite one of the rear door's being open, my father clicked the door button to lock the car. Three doors and boot got locked and my father felt that he should take off his jacket and keep it in the car. He did the same by keeping the jacket on the rear seat using the open door and then closed the door. That's how the key got locked inside. The pain of being in a small town followed but that's another story which is not very relevant here
scala26 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:10   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scala26 View Post
It has happened once with me. I have a Kushaq 1.5 MT with keyless entry. Generally if I keep the keys in the car, they are in the cup holder adjacent to the hand brake. In such a scenario, I've never observed car accepting the lock command from door handle if key is left inside.
The one instance when this happened was when my father's jacket was having the key inside it. We both had alighted and despite one of the rear door's being open, my father clicked the door button to lock the car. Three doors and boot got locked and my father felt that he should take off his jacket and keep it in the car. He did the same by keeping the jacket on the rear seat using the open door and then closed the door. That's how the key got locked inside. The pain of being in a small town followed but that's another story which is not very relevant here
I don’t think the car has the logic to detect once the lock has been pressed. If you had tried the same thing with the jacket inside, I’m sure it wouldn’t get locked. I’ve forgotten my keys multiple times inside and the car has never allowed me to lock the door in such situations.
StripleRider03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:29   #3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripleRider03 View Post
I don’t think the car has the logic to detect once the lock has been pressed. If you had tried the same thing with the jacket inside, I’m sure it wouldn’t get locked. I’ve forgotten my keys multiple times inside and the car has never allowed me to lock the door in such situations.
Yes you are right. It was a goof up on our part but I just wanted to highlight a scenario when the keys could be locked inside. There's no option to unlock from app so it causes a lot of inconvenience if something like this happens.
scala26 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 16:33   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilosKage View Post
It is the car's AC which is the issue. My friend's i20 feels significantly cooler and quieter when compared to my Kushaq. His car doesn't have any sun film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger_Winger View Post
VAG MQB IN2.0 cars have a very well known issue of having abysmally underperforming A.C's (not fully suitable for Indian conditions). .. an already weak/underspec'd compressor.
While I agree with the experiences that the ac in VAG 2.0 cars (Kushaq 1.5MT in my case) generally does not perform satisfactorily in hot weather, I do not believe this is a hardware issue.

From my tinkering with the system, I have learned that this might very well be an issue with programming of the acc. The acc never uses maximum 'cooling' and just modulates 'fan speed' depending on the temperature selected. Hence if we select 18 deg on the temperature gauge for example, we'll just have a hurricane force blast from the vent which does not feel cool enough.

To work around this issue, I tend to takeover manual control of the system with these settings - Temp = LO; Fan speed =3 or 4 if too hot (it gets too loud beyond that); Recirc = ON. I feel selecting the lowest temp in the manual mode is the only way to unlock max cooling of the ac.

Credit where its due - the acc has some nifty features as well, e.g. it blows cool air in the foot well for a few seconds before directing the air flow to the vents on the dash. I am guessing this is to push the hot air trapped in the foot well up (ironically) to aid faster cooling
Romeo_Mike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 06:10   #3488
BHPian

Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG owners in Bengaluru, what is your mileage yield in everyday drive?

I fill XP95 and in most daily 25 KM commutes, i get 8 KM/L as my average mileage, even with very light foot driving. On my cheat days with Sport mode, i get around 3-5 averaged best. Mine is about a year old and has ~4K on ODO (not much of a highway person, occasional sprints that's all).

I would love to hear your tips for traffic ridden drives producing optimal mileage.
Old 24th March 2024, 18:24   #3489
BHPian

Quote:
The one instance when this happened was when my father's jacket was having the key inside it. We both had alighted and despite one of the rear door's being open, my father clicked the door button to lock the car. Three doors and boot got locked and my father felt that he should take off his jacket and keep it in the car. He did the same by keeping the jacket on the rear seat using the open door and then closed the door.
So, after jacket was kept inside via the 4th open door and then you closed the door it got automatically locked? I am going to try this same scenario in our XUV and check. Of course with an extra key around
Quote:
Originally Posted by StripleRider03 View Post
May be a logic should be added to check before locking the final open door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
While I agree with the experiences that the ac in VAG 2.0 cars (Kushaq 1.5MT in my case) generally does not perform satisfactorily in hot weather, I do not believe this is a hardware issue.

To work around this issue, I tend to takeover manual control of the system I feel selecting the lowest temp in the manual mode is the only way to unlock max cooling of the ac.
This is likely a hardware+software issue and VAGs have this known issue since Polo, Vento days. I remember this been discussed on the forum earlier. They tend to have European spec compressor hence leading to make all the software tweaks in India to get the AC effective.
With the VW 1.0 turbo petrol, one side effect of setting AC to low has a immediate impact on the mileage, probably the reason why VW tuned ACC conservatively to begin with. The issue is less pronounced in the 1.5 as compared to the 1.0 especially in the AT versions.
Also, if one has to use manual mode in a car with ACC feature, it defeats the purpose.

PS: This is based on multiple test drives in all 4 VW2.0 cars and then longer drives in neighbors and friends Taiguns in different climatic conditions. This was the reason why Taigun/Kushaq went out of the shortlist for us.

Last edited by sapien : 24th March 2024 at 18:28.
Old 24th March 2024, 18:47   #3490
BHPian

Posting this from the discount thread, if anyone’s interested-
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img_1302.png  

sachin_cs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 23:54   #3491

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
So, after jacket was kept inside via the 4th open door and then you closed the door it got automatically locked? I am going to try this same scenario in our XUV and check. Of course with an extra key around
May be a logic should be added to check before locking the final open door.

This is likely a hardware+software issue and VAGs have this known issue since Polo, Vento days. I remember this been discussed on the forum earlier. They tend to have European spec compressor hence leading to make all the software tweaks in India to get the AC effective.
With the VW 1.0 turbo petrol, one side effect of setting AC to low has a immediate impact on the mileage, probably the reason why VW tuned ACC conservatively to begin with. The issue is less pronounced in the 1.5 as compared to the 1.0 especially in the AT versions.
Also, if one has to use manual mode in a car with ACC feature, it defeats the purpose.

PS: This is based on multiple test drives in all 4 VW2.0 cars and then longer drives in neighbors and friends Taiguns in different climatic conditions. This was the reason why Taigun/Kushaq went out of the shortlist for us.
Regardless of whether all the doors of VAG are closed or not, if the lock button is pressed then whichever door is closed gets locked and whenever you'll close the open door (if any) it'll also get locked automatically. So yes, once we closed the last door it got locked.
scala26 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 01:15   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post
This is likely a hardware+software issue and VAGs have this known issue since Polo, Vento days.They tend to have European spec compressor hence leading to make all the software tweaks in India to get the AC effective.
Sure, if you say so. I have no oppsing first hand experiences among my family and friends to refute this. In fact I was the first in my circle to acquire a VAG car. How does one review/compare the ac hardware specifications on cars though? Is it available in any of the vehicles' literature?

Quote:
Honestly, taking manual control is not a bother for me at all. Happens 5% of the time at best. I would have been worried if there was no way to get around the issue though.

Quote:
To each his own I guess. There is no perfect car out there and one can only hope to find one that checks most of the boxes.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 11:52   #3493
BHPian

Quote:
Regardless of whether all the doors of VAG are closed or not, if the lock button is pressed then whichever door is closed gets locked and whenever you'll close the open door (if any) it'll also get locked automatically. So yes, once we closed the last door it got locked.
Thanks for confirming scala26. I'll check in our Mahindra and update here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_Mike View Post
Sure, if you say so. I have no oppsing first hand experiences among my family and friends to refute this. In fact I was the first in my circle to acquire a VAG car. How does one review/compare the ac hardware specifications on cars though? Is it available in any of the vehicles' literature?

A thread has lot of details around this in here (Volkswagen’s official statement regarding Taigun AC issues), the post talks about the hardware and vendor details. Not sure if manufacturers provide such details in user manuals etc. The ones working in the industry can share 1st hand information. I have made the comparison based on empirical observations from different cars in family, here's how the different ACs fare:

Tiago[Self owned] : Not so good, I have heard tata has upgraded the AC in subsequent refresh of all models.
Glanza[Self owned] : Good
XUV700 [Self owned] : Chiller
Etios[in family] : Chiller
City[in family] : Above average
VAG 2.0 [TD and friends] : Average AC
Innova[Taxi] : Chiller
All Hyundai : Chiller

So in general, all Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Toyota have chiller ACs, Hondas are effective and other manufacturers - hit or a miss.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 19:35   #3494

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmukunda View Post
Kushaq 1.5 TSI DSG owners in Bengaluru, what is your mileage yield in everyday drive?

I fill XP95 and in most daily 25 KM commutes, i get 8 KM/L as my average mileage, even with very light foot driving. On my cheat days with Sport mode, i get around 3-5 averaged best. Mine is about a year old and has ~4K on ODO (not much of a highway person, occasional sprints that's all).

I would love to hear your tips for traffic ridden drives producing optimal mileage.

Really!! 8 KM/L with light foot driving .. I am in the verge of booking 1.5 automatic and I do drive 60-70 kms daily with peak traffic on ORR and whitefield. With the mileage you are mentioning maybe I should rethink I guess

What do you suggest?
Old 28th March 2024, 20:35   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradhya30 View Post
Really!! 8 KM/L with light foot driving .. I am in the verge of booking 1.5 automatic and I do drive 60-70 kms daily with peak traffic on ORR and whitefield. With the mileage you are mentioning maybe I should rethink I guess

What do you suggest?
60-70 km daily and ORR Whitefield combination You should re-look at fuel options. If you ask me, you need EV/Hybrid/Diesel for such high usage.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 28th March 2024 at 20:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks