Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2021, 13:12   #631
BHPian

1. A lot has been said about creta's build quality being inferior to kushaq, Well I've personally crash tested New creta at 50kmph into an electric pole, pole broke into to two, front end of creta absorbed all of the impact. Thanks to airbags, came out without a scratch.

So, both creta and kushaq hasn't been tested by any agency, but people prejudge that creta's built Is inferior, why?
Kushaq being a brand new product from scratch, you can't give the safety trophy to it yet. Especially after Honda, how foreign brands treat India.

2. Regarding driving dynamics- Even a enthusiastic driver is not going to corner at 100kmph daily, these are passenger cars. Reviewers feel that kushaq is planted and stable, I can say that creta has good road manners, when you are inside, it's comfortable and feels safe.

3. For the same money, siting in the rear seat, you can enjoy the rain drops falling on the panoramic sun roof or feel the city lights lighting up the cabin from above, Like how driving dynamics has to be felt, a panoramic sunroof has to be felt as well.

4. Service reach - 1000+ Hyundai service network vs 65 Skoda service Centres. Imagine taking your beloved Turbo petrol DCT to Himalayas and something unexpected happens? Skoda and VW needs to expand aggressively if they want to sell 10-15 Lac rupees product.

From the reviews, kushaq seems like a good product, but lacks in many front against the competition. You can't cover up the lack of features by saying that it's safe and solid just by reputation and without even tested by reputed agencies.

I like both the cars, but in regards to safety, they are both equal until tested by reputed agencies. From my crash testing, I can say that creta is safe and will definitely save life at speeds below 60kmph.

We mostly tend to trust a brand blindly, Skoda is selling kushaq at a premium only because of its reputation not for the product. Only time will tell its worthiness.
tiagoatrix is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:37   #632
rpm
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
3. Structurally better built.
I would like to understand this attribute better. Structurally better built implies a better crash rating or some entirely different attribute linked to the structure?
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 13:55   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
When it comes to creature-comforts and fancy features, the Korean twins always had an upper-hand. A top-end Creta definitely would have a truck-load of additional features when compared to say a BMW X1 or a VW Tiguan. That limited set of buyers (in India) who opt for European brands will have a minimum expectation on safety, quality, driver experience etc.; the latest Octavia is an example for these virtues. Even the Karoq that had no negatives to speak of, except for being slightly over-priced, stayed true to the brand’s USP. This is where Kushaq faltered big-time – they skimped on the key strengths in the name of ‘Indianisation’. More than the premium pricing or slight cost-cutting efforts here and there, the cut-down on airbags in AT variants will be the key deterrent point that may bite back Skoda big time.
Completely agree . Comparing the Karoq, the Kushaq is a let down. It's a good car no doubt, but if you are ok with the fit and finish, omission of the airbag on the AT it is still a decent buy. But the cramped and claustrophobic feeling left me wanting for more. I am not sure if I felt that way due to my height. Others who have had a look could add to the above.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:03   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is a nice excel sheet but I have to reiterate this point. The Seltos and Creta both have more features than the MErcedes Benz C class, BMW X1 and BMW 3 series and costs half of them. Yet people looking for a BMW don't look at Creta and Seltos because it checks more boxes on an excel sheet.

I was looking at a Seltos last last year as it had all the features I would want. I had driven the Seltos in Goa for the media drive and was impressed. After coming back I went to the dealer and did another TD. Because the Octavia was having discounts, I went and did a TD of it. After that I had no interest to even consider the Seltos.

Middle of last year I drove the Creta and the Karoq. Again the Karoq had no reclining seats, no smart connectivity, no front parking sensors, no 360 camera, no fancy audio system with subwoofer, no ventilated seats plus other stuff missing. On top of that it was 32L on road which was 10 lakhs more than the Creta top end 1.4L Turbo.

However after driving it, it drove closer to a BMW X1 than the Creta. It was better than the Mercedes GLA to drive. The Creta in comparison felt good but drive quality, feel, dynamics were nowhere close and it left no lasting impression on me. This thread should tell you similar thought process. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ip-review.html (Skoda Karoq : Ownership Review) The buyer spent 10L more than a Creta/Seltos for a smaller car with lesser features.
I think the disagreement I have here is that the Kushaq / Creta / Seltos are in the exact same segment and price band (+/- 1-1.5 L at best)

Every other car here you mention, the X1, GLA, Karoq are 2-3 segments higher and cost 12-30 Lakhs more (Karoq coming in at the 12l difference)

Different segments, different pricing, different benchmarks. Take the same price difference / segment difference to an X1 and you would get the far more superior (in every aspect) M3, push it up a bit more and you get the no competition (to the X1 or GLA) X5. Add 20-30 L to these and you get even more superior cars and on and on it goes.

Tl;DR - Kushaq to Creta / Seltos is an Apples to Apples comparison. Creta / Seltos to an X1 or GLA is an Lemons to Strawberries comparison.

On an apples to apples the Kushaq imho fails the sniff test. Arguably it is a better alternative to a Sonet or Venue (if it were priced 1-1.5l lower) but that is just me.
Stribog is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:21   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Well I've personally crash tested New creta at 50kmph into an electric pole, pole broke into to two, front end of creta absorbed all of the impact. Thanks to airbags, came out without a scratch.
Well this post has swerved me towards the Creta. Been on the fence for a while between Creta vs competitors, but your 5* rating seals it for me. Thanks.
barefeetdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:29   #636
BHPian

I own Seltos GTX+ DCT (October 2019), and when the GNCAP results came in, I was deeply disappointed. I even contemplated selling it and buying some tested car. However, decided to keep it for 5 years to not incur significant financial loss. I am in any case a defensive driver by nature.

Why I am saying this is, Karoq was launched and I really wanted to buy that because it was a proper Skoda (they always punch above their weight class) but alas, I cannot say the same about Kushaq. Even the seat belts are not adjustable, no pretensioners, no 6 airbags in the top end trip, locally developed infotainment system, and fit and finish of material is not Skoda at all.

So summing it up, it only seems to have three Skoda traits, good engine, good gearboxes and handling but nothing else bout it seems Skoda. Hence all this discussion on over pricing the car made on a budget for Indian market.

Last edited by Mountainman21 : 1st July 2021 at 14:33.
Mountainman21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 14:44   #637
BHPian

I am really waiting to see photographs comparing the size with Creta, Seltos, Nexon, Brezza, SCross, Venue, Sonnet, EcoSport and the ultimate Spresso.

Only then the car will appear overpriced

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 1st July 2021 at 14:46.
Old 1st July 2021, 14:54   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Zac does correct the availability time-frame of the Kushaq 1.5L:

Skoda Kushaq Review-1.jpg
Old 1st July 2021, 15:40   #639
BHPian

For the people looking at the Kushaq 1.5 tsi to use inside the city, the Nexon EV might even be able to beat it in a drag race or at least keep pace with it. Here's a video where the Nexon EV beats the Seltos 1.4 in a drag race. The Nexon has more space too.

You'll be doing the environment a favour while saving money while you're at it. No impending DSG failures to worry about either.

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev...rol-drag-race/

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 1st July 2021 at 15:42.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:01   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
You'll be doing the environment a favour while saving money while you're at it. No impending DSG failures to worry about either.

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev...rol-drag-race/
Our country gets most of its electricity from coal. So, if I get an EV, I'll simply be moving the source of pollution from cities to the oil fields.

I've said read this on a different thread: buying an EV does nothing for the environment, unless the electricity used is off a renewable resource. In India, buy it for kicks or as a statement, sure. But that ain't making you pro-environment.

Not to mention, buying an EV brings it's own set of limitations and unknown reliability concerns (3-4 years down the lane)
07CR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 16:09   #641
BHPian

Quote:
1. A lot has been said about creta's build quality being inferior to kushaq, Well I've personally crash tested New creta at 50kmph into an electric pole, pole broke into to two, front end of creta absorbed all of the impact. Thanks to airbags, came out without a scratch.

So, both creta and kushaq hasn't been tested by any agency, but people prejudge that creta's built Is inferior, why?
Kushaq being a brand new product from scratch, you can't give the safety trophy to it yet. Especially after Honda, how foreign brands treat India.

2. Regarding driving dynamics- Even a enthusiastic driver is not going to corner at 100kmph daily, these are passenger cars. Reviewers feel that kushaq is planted and stable, I can say that creta has good road manners, when you are inside, it's comfortable and feels safe.

3. For the same money, siting in the rear seat, you can enjoy the rain drops falling on the panoramic sun roof or feel the city lights lighting up the cabin from above, Like how driving dynamics has to be felt, a panoramic sunroof has to be felt as well.

4. Service reach - 1000+ Hyundai service network vs 65 Skoda service Centres. Imagine taking your beloved Turbo petrol DCT to Himalayas and something unexpected happens? Skoda and VW needs to expand aggressively if they want to sell 10-15 Lac rupees product.

From the reviews, kushaq seems like a good product, but lacks in many front against the competition. You can't cover up the lack of features by saying that it's safe and solid just by reputation and without even tested by reputed agencies.

I like both the cars, but in regards to safety, they are both equal until tested by reputed agencies. From my crash testing, I can say that creta is safe and will definitely save life at speeds below 60kmph.

We mostly tend to trust a brand blindly, Skoda is selling kushaq at a premium only because of its reputation not for the product. Only time will tell its worthiness.
You actually summed up all the points in a precise fashion and I really thank you for that. As a Creta owner, I have done a cross country trip and never during the trip, I felt it underpowered or showing any signs of failure.

In fact, I was surprised by the way the steering gains weight as you gain speed and I never felt nervous. Just like every vehicle, Creta has its own issues and it's not fair to compare it with other vehicles.

And rightly said not everyone drives at 100 km/h and corners at triple-digit. That bunch is minuscule in proportion. With vehicles, it's the overall product that is gauged by the customers and not only a particular aspect.

Doing a comparison is one thing and ridiculing one product against other is different. Kushaq I am sure has its own merits but it has to prove it yet as against Creta which is setting the charts on fire.

Last edited by Artyom : 1st July 2021 at 16:10.
Artyom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:13   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Our country gets most of its electricity from coal. So, if I get an EV, I'll simply be moving the source of pollution from cities to the oil fields.
=====
Not to mention, buying an EV brings it's own set of limitations and unknown reliability concerns (3-4 years down the lane)
In addition, our country currently struggles from 24x7 power supply. Most of the places we run diesel generators in the basement to get power. We do not even shift the CO2 emissions to coalfields but poor diesel generators which emit far more than a diesel car.
Old 1st July 2021, 17:14   #643
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefeetdriver View Post
Well this post has swerved me towards the Creta. Been on the fence for a while between Creta vs competitors, but your 5* rating seals it for me. Thanks.
TBhpian Travelpanthi took great pains and paid for the information in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...dai-creta.html (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)

Since Seltos has been tested by the GNCAP and its shares the underpinnings/Chasis/powertrain; the same rating will apply to Creta too!

And i am very happy that your Creta saved you from that unfortunate accident.

Drive safe!
Old 1st July 2021, 17:38   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
TBhpian Travelpanthi took great pains and paid for the information in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...dai-creta.html (Kia Seltos body structure facts & comparison with the Hyundai Creta)

Since Seltos has been tested by the GNCAP and its shares the underpinnings/Chasis/powertrain; the same rating will apply to Creta too!

And i am very happy that your Creta saved you from that unfortunate accident.

Drive safe!

Do we have a similar study being done for Kushaq? As pointed out by earlier poster, the new Indianised platform has been customised to accept lighter steel as against the European standards.

Skoda stood for - Safety, Solid Build, Premium Interiors, Best in next segment features etc

Kushaq stands for -

Safety - can't be confirmed since its not tested
Solid Build - Does a heavy door thud = solid build? I doubt. Let's get the details of the quality and grade of steel used for underlying structure. Compare it with the Kamiq and then decide
Premium Interiors - Let down
Best in next segment features - let down

So is Kushaq really a product worthy of what Skoda stood for?

I also request esteemed members of this forum to refrain from making claims that "2 Airbags and solid build" is better than "6 airbags and poor build", unless they have evidence and scientific proof to support the claim. This forum board has many readers who take every post at face value. We could be misguiding them. Let's not comment on perceived safety at the cost of being factually incorrect.
rahulvv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 17:42   #645
Senior - BHPian

Rough road package is available in all variants and rear middle seat belt is 3 point. They will update the brochure.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Kushaq Review-img_20210701_174201.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks