Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 19:20   #601
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

I collected my MG Hector Plus Hybrid on 11th Oct.

The overall experience, right from the time of booking to delivery was seamless and very positive.

The showroom experience was also very nice. The ambience of the showroom was very pleasing and inviting.

My case was handled by Mr Chethan. I admire his straightforward and honest attitude. He committed what he could deliver and delivered on his commitment. South Bangalore folks who are looking for Astor can also reach out to him on +91 6366 238 387. Please note that in Bangalore there is only one dealer for MG (Jubilant) with multiple showrooms.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:59   #602
BHPian

I'd only buy this car if I could rip out that hideous AI bot thing that sits on the dash.

A friend has seen the static display of the car last week and was quite impressed with the fit and finish of its interiors, he rated it above that of the VW Taigun, but he's gone ahead with buying the Taigun for its superb DSG and 1.5 TSI combo.
driven646 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:12   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Not sure about others, but in our case the SA did call us, confirmed if we wanted to book/reserve the car, asked about the preferred variant and colour. We also received OTP on our phone to confirm the action performed, which should have been the case with everyone? If yes, I don't think MG is doing anything wrong here.
Same here. SA called and asked if I’d like to book and when I said I want to wait until next year, he politely hung up.

Are some dealerships doing the shady auto booking without MG’s knowledge? If so, we should definitely escalate it. If not, shame on you MG.

Last edited by shibulijack : 13th October 2021 at 20:14.
shibulijack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:33   #604
BHPian

I got a 2nd SMS confirming interest in white 1.5L manual. This is so funny.

No confirmation by the Bangalore dealer before this.

MG must be scared about the reaction to prices, which has kept the interest muted. Unless they throw the ADAS features at same price.
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 20:38   #605
Senior - BHPian

Wonder why they are still holding onto the pricing of ADAS pack. Its one of the selling points of the car if we compare it to other cars in the segment
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:19   #606
Senior - BHPian

It seems MG dealer reserved one for me too. I have received SMS and email. Maybe they did the reservation for people who took a test drive. They didn't even bother to check with me about my preferred variant and colour
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-screenshot_202110132024072.png  

airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 21:47   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetd_swift View Post
Wow, the base Style variant seems excellent VFM. Just the right kind, with almost all essential features under 10L Ex-Showroom price. Might seriously consider upgrading from my humble Swift. Would wait for 6-8 months or so for initial batches and niggles to be sorted out though.

Good job MG.
While everyone is going Gaga over the base Style variant (and I do agree that it is very well equipped for the price), the one factor that is not being discussed sufficiently is the fact that is that it has only a 5 speed manual transmission. Almost all cars in the segment including base models have moved to 6 speed MTs. This is even true of the segment below - 5 speed transmission are today hard to find, other than in basic subcompact category of cars. One will miss the 6th gear on highway runs, as the fifth gear does not allow of the engine RPM to fall to sufficiently relaxed levels in decently paced highway runs of 110- 120 km per hour, especially given this is an NA engine. The thing I missed most in my diesel Ecosport on highway trips was the 6th gear. The car had a brilliant chassis and a great engine, but lack of a 6th gear meant the car would sound and feel very busy and strained over 120 kph. With the engine spinning at a higher rpm, the fuel efficiency also takes a hit.

MG has cleverly avoided mention of the "5-speed" part in most ads and slides etc. It is only mentioned deep down in the brochure.Typical Chinese marketing

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th October 2021 at 21:51.
84.monsoon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 23:01   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
MG has cleverly avoided mention of the "5-speed" part in most ads and slides etc. It is only mentioned deep down in the brochure.Typical Chinese marketing
I don't get it, what's wrong in providing the details in the brochure, isn't that the purpose of the document? I didn't hear MG speak at length about the 6 AT or the CVT gearbox , heck if it's anything, it should be how MG failed to clearly tell what's 3 cyclinder and 4 cyclinder in NA and turbo version and also provide clarity on how long is the subscription on multiple services provided.

Biasing this to a certain country folks just isn't helping us being a better forum is it? Why not stick to raising query/concern to the company for failing to be transparent in providing the specifications clearly.
sandeepmukunda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 00:12   #609
BHPian

Booked the MG Astor 1.5 NA Style variant yesterday. My SA took a PDC of 25K and committed to delivering the car in Nov. I was initially planning on buying the Seltos HTK Plus IMT, but was blown away by the interiors and the build quality of this car. Also, saved approx. 3 Lacs by in the process

My only concern is the 5-speed gearbox and the performance of the 1.5NA engine, since I was able to drive only the turbo variant (1.5 is not available for test-drive). I was found the 1.5 engine of Seltos to be decent; will the performance be too shabby or comparable to Seltos's 1.5 petrol engine?
maverick88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 07:06   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
And all other companies of other nationalities are very open and transparent in their marketing?

Nestle literally spread lies on formula over breast milk killing 1000's of African kids.

On the topic of cars you say? Vag mislead, cheated and lied about their emission levels and has been hit with the largest fine in the auto industry

Etc etc

Why not stick to the car and not make baseless accusations on nationalities?
Stribog is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:47   #611
BHPian

Just wanted to get some clarity on the interior scheme. After talking to the service advisor and looking at brochure, got the following inputs on the sharp variants

1. CVT Sharp comes with Iconic Ivory
2. Turbo Sharp comes with Tuxedo Black

The sangria red is only available with the Adas optional pack.

So technically there is no choice for interior schemes so if some one who wants to buy Sharp variant without ADAS, then that person will only get iconic ivory (for CVT) and tuxedo black (for Turbo 220).

Just wanted to check if others have also heard the same ?
hbkamit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:53   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
Just wanted to get some clarity on the interior scheme. After talking to the service advisor and looking at brochure, got the following inputs on the sharp variants

1. CVT Sharp comes with Iconic Ivory
2. Turbo Sharp comes with Tuxedo Black

The sangria red is only available with the Adas optional pack.
The brochure does seems to suggest this as well. I was hoping the Sangria Red was available as a separate option but sadly not.

Speaking of the 1.5 NA with the 5-speed, are there any international reviews of this engine and gearbox combo? Particularly interested in what the cruising rpm is at 100 kph.
Old 14th October 2021, 11:23   #613
BHPian

Was checking out the car specifications in Car wale site and noticed the suspension setup as "McPherson strut and Torsion beam" which seems to be very very basic and is usually found in cars of the lower segment. Not even a coil spring. I am not a technical guy but this seems to be concerning given the suspension is one of the most important parts. Can any expert help clarify this? How much of a difference does this make? I want to go for CVT Sharp variant but this is something which is really bothersome.
Old 14th October 2021, 12:39   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The brochure does seems to suggest this as well. I was hoping the Sangria Red was available as a separate option but sadly not.

Speaking of the 1.5 NA with the 5-speed, are there any international reviews of this engine and gearbox combo? Particularly interested in what the cruising rpm is at 100 kph.
I found this one, but not sure if it has the details you're looking for.

ridehard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 14:59   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
Just wanted to check if others have also heard the same ?
Check this image for clarity on interior options by variant. You are right about Non ADAD version options being limited.
IMO Sharp Turbo Option will come in Tuxedo Black as standard, which can be upgraded to Sangria red at a cost.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img20211013wa0000.jpg  

Last edited by manpreetsj : 14th October 2021 at 15:03. Reason: Additional information added
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks