Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 20:12   #451
BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
Any reason you are recommending to not book hector. Are any discounts expected on it? Asking as I found the Astor too cramped for my size, and am considering the mid spec Hector instead.
Hey, it was just about pricing assurance that Astor will be significantly lower than Hector (his good estimate puts Astor top end at least 4 lakhs cheaper than Hector top end on road in MH).

Honestly, Hector is a superb all rounder. It will not score 10/10 in either driving dynamics like Harrier/Compass or in features like XUV/Astor. However, it will be 9/10 in almost all parameters and not 2/10 on any like Astor in size or Harrier in features / fit & finish.

For me, I didn't like XUV700 pressure tactics/FOMO induction to book it in rush.
I'm waiting on Astor prices and to try practically baby seat along with 2 adults. If not, my preferred choice will be Hector CVT top end.
dh.harshal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 20:41   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh.harshal View Post
Hey, it was just about pricing assurance that Astor will be significantly lower than Hector (his good estimate puts Astor top end at least 4 lakhs cheaper than Hector top end on road in MH).
So can we expect the Astor Top end to be priced around 17 Lakh OTR
If that's the case then shut up and take my money
(I doubt that would be the case though, I expect too end to touch 18-18.5 )
Old 7th October 2021, 21:26   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
We want a SUV that has more features than the Korean twins, better build than the German twins and yet undercut them both by more than 2-3L?

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they reveal the pricing of Astor, which I’m guessing would be on par with the Creta.
shibulijack is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:31   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibulijack View Post
We want a SUV that has more features than the Korean twins, better build than the German twins and yet undercut them both by more than 2-3L?

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they reveal the pricing of Astor, which I’m guessing would be on par with the Creta.
Well it has to undercut the Koreans to survive because of that 3 cylinder engine, smaller wheelbase and dated design, also if it's priced close to hector then it will hamper the hector sales as well, we have to keep in mind that Hector in itself goes toe to toe with the Koreans in some variants! I'm sure MG won't price it close to hector's corresponding variants!

It might not be 2-3 lakhs but I'm sure it will undercut the Koreans by atleast 1-2 lakhs OTR, rest we'll see what happens on 11th
911CarerraS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:40   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Well it has to undercut the Koreans to survive because of that 3 cylinder engine, smaller wheelbase and dated design, also if it's priced close to hector then it will hamper the hector sales as well, we have to keep in mind that Hector in itself goes toe to toe with the Koreans in some variants!
3 cylinder engine is a fair point, but remember it’s an imported engine too and so it might not that cost efficient. As far as I know, wheelbase metrics does not command a premium. Lastly, design is subjective. What appears dated to you might seem timeless to me. Even otherwise, if dated designs should cost less, Polo should be the cheapest in its segment.

I think MG wouldn’t mind Astor eating up a share of Hector. Cannibalism within the same company is better than losing the share to other manufacturers.

All that said, I would probably be the happiest person if your words come true. The optimist in me is expecting top end to cost close to kushaq 1L TSI top end (~20L on road in Bangalore). The realist in me is bracing for Creta top end pricing.
shibulijack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 21:44   #456
BHPian

Quote:
3 cylinder engine is a fair point, but remember it’s an imported engine too and so it might not that cost efficient. As far as I know, wheelbase metrics does not command a premium. Lastly, design is subjective. What appears dated to you might seem timeless to me. Even otherwise, if dated designs should cost less, Polo should be the cheapest in its segment.

I think MG wouldn’t mind Astor eating up a share of Hector. Cannibalism within the same company is better than losing the share to other manufacturers.

All that said, I would probably be the happiest person if your words come true. The optimist in me is expecting top end to cost close to kushaq 1L TSI top end (~20L on road in Bangalore). The realist in me is bracing for Creta top end pricing.
I agree with your point and I think they'll price the top end at 15.99 Lakhs , I just hope that the variant distribution is good and not like the Xuv700
Old 7th October 2021, 23:23   #457
BHPian

Quote:
No dude! Top end Hector CVT in Maharashtra is 22.3L on road.
So My source estimate is about 18-18.5 lakhs on road for Astor top end (which is ~4 lakh less than Hector).

You cannot expect it 17 lakh on road, which means ex-showroom has to be less than 15 lakhs.
Come on! It has one of the best quality interiors, features on par with the leaders, descent engine & gearbox and to top it all, they have ADAS with additional radars.
Realistically Expect it to be closer to 1L TSI pricing of Kushaq or even 50k to 1 lakh more than that.
dh.harshal is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 00:48   #458
BHPian

Quote:
It will undercut both Koreans and Germans for sure. Even if it undercuts by a very small margin. I think the top model's price ( during launch ) will be close to 16L ex showroom for 2 reasons.
  1. MG would not want to have in-house competition between Hector mid range and Astor top range. This will happen if the top variant is priced close to 18L ex showroom.
  2. MG Hector was priced very competitively. MG is neither have high demand like Koreans ( in India ) or have brand value like Germans. And majority of Indians still consider them Chinese ( ). So, I don't think they would risk asking more price at least during launch.

Quote:
There is only one car which does that ( in this segment ) and it does ask a premium of 5-8 lacs. Its Jeep Compass !!
rAijin_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 07:49   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAijin_ View Post
It will undercut both Koreans and Germans for sure. Even if it undercuts by a very small margin. I think the top model's price ( during launch ) will be close to 16L ex showroom for 2 reasons.
I agree with this line of thought. MG could take a page out of Mahindra's playbook on this. And they have done that so far. An excellent, premium product that stands out in more ways than one. Revealed it without agonizing, irritating delays BUT only the top end model. So even while we are all drooling over the fully loaded one, no one has a clue on the lower variants. But then, they have got the market hooked by then with the class leading fit and finish and a healthy feature list.

And then the pricing. They are going to go the XU700 route with aggressive pricing on the entry models to get a foot into the segment. But the top end, ADAS and all, is not going to be disruptive level. (I will be happy to be proved wrong on this last point!)
Old 8th October 2021, 09:04   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given the fit and finish and quality of interiors plus ADAS etc, I feel we can only hope it would undercut Creta/Seltos. My guess is, it would undercut Creta/Seltos by 40-50K initially and then would be at par with these next year. Its still gonna be a very good alternative to the said cars at least in metros.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:52   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I felt the sunroof curtain is bit too thin. It needs to be seen if it in anyways affects the cooling of the car.
This in fact has been a point which always intrigued me. Given many highway drives across baking hot sun also requires car to be parked in the hot sun (at times), how does this impact the cabin temperature and also the comfort of passengers if the sun falls on their skin. It is tough enough using (aftermarket) blinds on windows but it is a different matter from above.

Does any manufacturer provide a thick upholstery for the sunroof instead of a translucent curtain?
Old 8th October 2021, 09:59   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
This in fact has been a point which always intrigued me. Given many highway drives across baking hot sun also requires car to be parked in the hot sun (at times), how does this impact the cabin temperature and also the comfort of passengers if the sun falls on their skin. It is tough enough using (aftermarket) blinds on windows but it is a different matter from above.

Does any manufacturer provide a thick upholstery for the sunroof instead of a translucent curtain?
True. Its pretty thin as good as transparent. The only thing I feel can help is to further tint the sunroof
Old 8th October 2021, 10:02   #463
BHPian

Booked just now, no issues. Clicked on 9.57 and got through without any hassles.
Now need to decide whether to continue or cancel the booking after test drive

@moderator please delete post, poated on wrong thread by mistake, sorry !

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 8th October 2021 at 10:14.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:19   #464
BHPian

Regarding the pricing I was told that it will be between 8-13 lakhs ( which is didn't believe ofcourse) , but I wonder will there be any varients without the adas features to keep the prices very aggressive? Like what mahindra is doing with the XUV 700 asking a premium for the extra features.

Last edited by JJ1991 : 8th October 2021 at 10:36. Reason: Typo
JJ1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 11:43   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

Its annoying that the shades are not thick enough for some of our tastes (despite the tinted glass), but its hardly anything that a quick DIY fix of pasting 1-2 layers of dark film to the sunroof wont fix...

Quote:
Well it has to undercut the Koreans to survive because of that 3 cylinder engine, smaller wheelbase and dated design, also if it's priced close to hector then it will hamper the hector sales as well, we have to keep in mind that Hector in itself goes toe to toe with the Koreans in some variants! I'm sure MG won't price it close to hector's corresponding variants!

It might not be 2-3 lakhs but I'm sure it will undercut the Koreans by atleast 1-2 lakhs OTR, rest we'll see what happens on 11th

I think the opposite in design - this is the best looking CSUV around in that price segment - by a LONG shot, one thats going to age gracefully like the Polo or the Linea/Punto (particularly when compared to the grotesque-alien looking Creta with its horrendous front grill that looks like two different teams designed the front lights and the grill without ever knowing what the other had done. The Seltos is much better looking, but still pretty haphazard looking in terms of lines of the ltghting fitments). Shades of the Mazda CX series which imo is one of the prettiest cars ever built of its kind.
If only MG put the new "curved-rays" grill from the ZS (this "cosmic ray" grill is boring and gaudy at the same time )!
Transmission is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed