Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 19:24   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MG Astor Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Is there any drive review available for N.A. engine. I could not find any. Does this mean that N.A. version won't be available at launch?
This review is from UK, but has the same NA engine mated to the 5 spd manual.

CEF_Beasts is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:15   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Chetan, would it be possible to measure the actual ground clearance of this car in the full TeamBHP review?...
We do cover ground clearance in real-world usage aspect in review (i.e. whether it scrapes under different scenarios), though it isn't really possible to take a literal scale to it to validate the manufacturer claimed number.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:18   #423
Senior - BHPian

Visited MG Showroom today afternoon and took a short test drive. I am 5'11", seat height adjustment was little tricky as I am currently driving a TUV3OO. Enjoyed the short drive and family members liked the car. Now it's a waiting game for pricing information (later we took a test drive of XUV7OO).

MG Astor Review-img_20211006_141657.jpg

While under-body protection is provided, there is a big gap under the engine bay, will there be any problem due to stray stones? Please refer this picture on post# 2 of this thread.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:19   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
…though it isn't really possible to take a literal scale to it to validate the manufacturer claimed number.
Ha ha ha! Nice one!

If this was the case, why would we need any certifying agency?.
Old 6th October 2021, 22:23   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Visited MG Showroom today afternoon and took a short test drive. I am 5'11", seat height adjustment was little tricky as I am currently driving a TUV3OO. Enjoyed the short drive and family members liked the car. Now it's a waiting game for pricing information (later we took a test drive of XUV7OO).

While under-body protection is provided, there is a big gap under the engine bay, will there be any problem due to stray stones? Please refer this picture on post# 2 of this thread.
How was the test drive comparison between astor and XUV?

I see that you have visited the outer ring road showroom
Old 6th October 2021, 23:44   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

I had checked 1.5 NA at showroom it didn’t had engine protection.

Is it possible that 1.3 Turbo has been provided underbody protection while 1.5 NA is been left out?

Even sales advisor didn’t answer this apart from saying once we receive stock other than display car will know.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 00:15   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
How was the test drive comparison between astor and XUV?
I see that you have visited the outer ring road showroom
Yes, I went to the Outer Ring Road showroom, being working day, there was not much crowd, although parking your vehicle could be a problem at times, particularly during weekends.

I should not compare Astor and XUV7OO as it may not be apples to apples comparison. MG Astor can very well serve the purpose of my family (2 adults + 2 kids). Key factor here would be the pricing. If it is significantly lower than XUV7OO, then I may go for Astor. Otherwise, may consider XUV7OO or wait for new Scorpio / Five Door Thar. With my experience of TUV3OO, I will wait for few months to book any newly launched vehicle.

I spoke to an NRI friend in US who drives an SUV with ADAS. He mentioned that couple of times his ADAS applied emergency braking without any obstruction in front and he was lucky that he was not rear ended. He has reported the bug to the manufacturer. What he meant that maybe I should wait for few months to see effectiveness of ADAS on Indian road conditions.

Last edited by airbus : 7th October 2021 at 00:21. Reason: Grammer.
Old 7th October 2021, 01:13   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
We do cover ground clearance in real-world usage aspect in review (i.e. whether it scrapes under different scenarios), though it isn't really possible to take a literal scale to it to validate the manufacturer claimed number.
Tbh, I wasn't as interested in validating/rejecting the manufacturer GC number as I am in comparing it to its competitors on some measurable aspect . Bangalore roads put the fear of god into anyone - and if I buy a car I'd have to drive through some under (perpetual) construction zones with potholes that seem to appear overnight (and often be covered with muddy water masking their depths).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
Ha ha ha! Nice one!

If this was the case, why would we need any certifying agency?.
Just because there is a certifying agency doesn't mean that no one else can't measure it.

Do we stop asking people for their personal reports of mileage just because ARAI quotes a number?
Old 7th October 2021, 09:04   #429
BHPian

Finally had the test drive of the MG Astor. Few points:

1. As has been said already by many BHPians, this car is most definitely the new benchmark in interior fit, finish and quality.

2. The red interiors look smashing. I definitely had my reservations about that after watching them online. But they are much more a shade of wine red.

3. The speedo console is the best in segment. They haven’t gone overboard with overload of information.

4. The touchscreen is pretty responsive and has loads and loads of tweaks and features. The buttons under the touchscreen are a class apart. Great tactile feel and look very premium.

5. Seats are nice and comfy. Would have loved if the passenger seat was power adjustable like in the Hector.

6. Love the nifty feature where they have provided a USB power outlet in the IRVM for smooth dash cam integration.

7. I drove the turbo petrol variant. The NA petrol variant will be available for test drive soon. Will check that out as well.

8. The power is adequate and acceleration seems pretty good. Driving dynamics are almost spot on. Had a drive in the Creta Turbo petrol the previous day, so compared to that the ride quality of the Astor is superior. Although Creta’s pick-up and acceleration is more.

9. Handling is pretty good and the car dismissed potholes nonchalantly.

10. Regarding ADAS, I didn’t really get the chance for testing the Adaptive Cruise Control but lane keeping was very accurate and I even had the experience of driving it in a lane without hands on the steering albeit for 10-15 seconds. Blind spot detection and the chimes to warn for that is also spot on.

11. All black interiors will be available only in the top end Savvy variant. (As informed by the MG staff)

12. Huge misses were the lack of auto dimming IRVM, ventilated seats & the non powered tail gate.

13. My brother also drove the car and I had a chance to experience the backseat. It was a pretty smooth ride experience and space is pretty great.

This car has the potential to rock the segment if priced competitively. At the price of Creta/Seltos, this will be the most bang for buck option. And this may expose the over pricing of the Koreans even more.

The car’s look has a Mazda CX vibe. Very sporty and urban look.

Hoping the lack of diesel doesn’t affect the sales too much.

If priced properly, hoping to gift this car to my wife in the next few months.
CarGuy_DM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:40   #430
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Astor yesterday. Here are my observations

1. Ride quality is pretty good. Nothing to complain about.
2. Visibility from the driver seat is good. My reference is my Verna.
3. Very good NVH levels. Cabin was very quiet.
4. AC was good, even with a hot sun and the sunroof visor opened.
5. Back seat comfort was good as per wife.
6. The suspension is good for city driving. Dismissed potholes with ease. Did not feel jerks in the cabin for medium sized potholes.
7. The touch screen will take some time to get used to.

Inspite of all this. Still cant get over the feeling of smaller cabin and especially boot space when compared to the Verna. At the end of the test drive, parked my Verna and Astor side by side and Astor is definitely smaller and boot is a definite negative for those of us trying to upgrade from a sedan (Verna/City).

My wife is drawn towards the Hector now (especially with the captain seats in the Hector plus). She is sold on it and ready to buy it right away. I am not convinced with the Hector's bland dash board and the petrol automatic on offer. Also the odd shape/look is a bummer. Last shot from my wife - Are you sure there is a problem with Hector or is it just in your head?

For now, probably may not book the Astor. Will wait for the Hector update in Mar/Apr 2022 (as per MG showroom folks) and then take a call. Would be great if MG provides a diesel AT for Hector. Will take it blindly.

And - Hyundai is not the benchmark for interior fit and finish any more. It is MG. By a long distance. Hyundai creta and Alcazar cannot even stand in the same league as MG cars in the fit and finish department. Sorry. No offence. Trust me, I was surprised too.

But should say - my 2014 Verna diesel feels so much value for money at the moment.
Naetik30 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:23   #431
BHPian

Took a short test drive on too turbo varient last Saturday at MG Kottayam , Kerala. Greeted by the single staff on our arrival and he insisted on a test drive.I must say we are very impressed from the fit and finish to the drive and the staff behaviour too( tata customer ) Eagerly waiting for the price as we are looking forward to replace our Nexon petrol.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Astor Review-img20211003144701.jpg  

JJ1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:29   #432
BHPian

Any idea when the bookings open today?
Old 7th October 2021, 11:56   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
MG SA had called me yesterday that bookings will start today and that he would communicate the booking window to me since they would be taking limited bookings (FCFS). However, today morning he sent me a message that it won't happen today and they are awaiting further instructions from the company.
Old 7th October 2021, 11:58   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
Variants and pricing on 10th October. When does booking start? There are conflicting messages here. So called flash sale could be on same day or 20th October. Deliveries to coincide with Diwali.

Noticed the back end system is SAP. Hopefully MG has scaled enough to manage traffic without pulling the website down.

Look at what happened with M&M today. This is the same organisation which has one of biggest software services provider in the country as part of portfolio and cannot get it right

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 7th October 2021 at 11:59.
Old 7th October 2021, 12:29   #435
BHPian

I test drove the Astor over the weekend. Dealership experience was good, although there was a lot of crowd and some waiting (over an hour) for the test drive.

The roads near the dealership (BU Bhandari Wakad, Pune) are pretty bad with more potholes than some asteroid. The Astor took it all in its stride; the suspension appeared balanced.

While driving, I wanted to adjust the OVRMs, I could not find the controls for that. I even asked the SA and he said it would be there somewhere. Later, after the drive I realized it was further down on the drivers side. Not sure why they would put it there.

It was a short drive - 15 mins max, with less than 5 km on the highway - rest of it on service roads. The highway too had enough traffic to not allow anything that would be like a test drive.

Waiting for the pricing - this looks and drives better (although a bit dated) than Seltos or Creta but it's a new model, so I have some reservation even if it appears that the pricing would be competitive.

I am also looking at XUV700 and the compass - have been looking for a good (C)SUV for last 2 years or so and all of them have been underwhelming for one reason or another. The pandemic sort of helped me delay the decision. If the XUV feels like too bulky to drive, I am going with one of these.
gary is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks